Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (535) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2194577 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sashafiercediva: 8:30pm On Jan 26, 2022
hello guyz, please what bank offers 500cad or so instant interest for Newcomers account in canada? i saw something like that a while ago before landing? pls respond urgently. i need to make the best decision as regards the bank with the best packages. thank you.

cc-ednut1
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by miolad20(m): 9:38pm On Jan 26, 2022
Sashafiercediva:
hello guyz, please what bank offers 500cad or so instant interest for Newcomers account in canada?... thank you.

cc-ednut1

What do you mean by "instant interest"?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by newhomeca: 10:25pm On Jan 26, 2022
Hello Family

Pls for those that recently landed. Which airline did you use and why

Gone through post here seems ET is not as popular as they use to be

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sashafiercediva: 10:29pm On Jan 26, 2022
credit interest immediately one opens the account.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheSeventeenth: 10:50pm On Jan 26, 2022
If you mean credit limit, I got $2000 from RBC.
The guy did seem flexible like he could have done more if there were reasons to (In my head). It's their newcomer package.

Hope this helps.
Sashafiercediva:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Darocksvip: 11:00pm On Jan 26, 2022
Hello,
Please I need help, again.
I want to pay online with Nigerian debit card for an Airbnb. I wanted to know if the bank $100 withdrawal limits also affects that?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 11:25pm On Jan 26, 2022
Darocksvip:
Hello,
Please I need help, again.
I want to pay online with Nigerian debit card for an Airbnb. I wanted to know if the bank $100 withdrawal limits also affects that?
get a dom account. The limit applies to all transactions

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 11:28pm On Jan 26, 2022
Sashafiercediva:
no one will give you that immediately, cibc will give 300 dols when you satisfy the set conditions like 2 direct billing on the account ( phone , utilities payment) etc

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by miolad20(m): 1:08am On Jan 27, 2022
Sashafiercediva

https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/newcomers.html?utrc=S206:35&&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_8OPBhDtARIsAKQu0gYnuv6ta6oyjNirYltrw1bvm-SdXwVRuJUzzr5FSDWetcGJVLLzp4gaAmmEEALw_wcB

ednut1:
no one will give you that immediately, cibc will give 300 dols when you satisfy the set conditions like 2 direct billing on the account ( phone , utilities payment) etc

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheSeventeenth: 2:18am On Jan 27, 2022
Not sure what their criteria is. I was in an AirBnB when I opened my account with RBC. Was not even going to add funds to the account at the time of the appointment and I got $2,000 credit limit. So I think there’s a huge possibility of getting that immediately.

ednut1:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by segzyndpep(m): 2:23am On Jan 27, 2022
TheSeventeenth:
This is definitely true and very valid for the most part.
There are places you do not want to live in the UK tho. Life was awesome when I was in Manchester, but had to move to Lancaster when I got a job up north (somewhere called Milnthorpe) in 2019. I had to talk to myself daily to remind myself there was a lot more to life. Then the lockdown came while I was still there (thankfully I had gotten married at this time) and it was still a mess. I was there for 9 months before I got a different job and had to move to Liverpool and things became better.
So moving to the UK is one thing, but there are UK cities that can rival whatever depression Canada has anyday, anytime; so it's worth looking out for.
As for making more money, I would think it's relative. Generally, I think living cost is a lot less in the UK (which is a major plus), but then in my field, the average salary in Canada (Toronto precisely) is way higher than most UK cities and probably at par with London (which is more expensive than Toronto).
I didn't have to change jobs on my move to Canada, and thankfully, my pay was adjusted (there are tools they use for these adjustments) and I honestly can save more at the end of every month. PS: this isn't peculiar to me.

So generally I think everybody's story is different and a lot of thoughts have to be given to what you do as a profession and where your bigger opportunities are.

But just like you, I found life in the UK easier. House search in Toronto was an extreme sport for me.

I will love to private chat you..Any means?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 2:23am On Jan 27, 2022
TheSeventeenth:
Not sure what their criteria is. I was in an AirBnB when I opened my account with RBC. Was not even going to add funds to the account at the time of the appointment and I got $2,000 credit limit. So I think there’s a huge possibility of getting that immediately.

see miolad20s post. I don’t think he was talking about credit limit

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheSeventeenth: 2:29am On Jan 27, 2022
Oh I see. My bad.

ednut1:
see miolad20s post. I don’t think he was talking about credit limit
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheSeventeenth: 2:31am On Jan 27, 2022
Sent an email
segzyndpep:

I will love to private chat you..Any means?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Darocksvip: 2:38am On Jan 27, 2022
ednut1:
get a dom account. The limit applies to all transactions
Okay. Thank you. Will I be given a dollar card for the Dom account? Is there any other way to go around making payments before one travels?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by finishedworks: 5:53am On Jan 27, 2022
Darocksvip:

Okay. Thank you. Will I be given a dollar card for the Dom account? Is there any other way to go around making payments before one travels?

I don't know if it's still available but I got a UBA AFRI card. It acts like a credit card but you have to preload it with dollars. Used it to pay for different stuff before we landed. U don't have to have an account with them. And you can still use the card in Canada if you still have money in it. It helped because when we arrived we didn't have Canadian dollars, so paid for stuff with it till we got settled
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by newhomeca: 7:22am On Jan 27, 2022
Homextras:

If you prefer Hamilton let me know. I can drop the link here for a modest apartment to check out.

Pls do. I will appreciate it.

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by segzyndpep(m): 10:22am On Jan 27, 2022
TheSeventeenth:
Sent an email

Thanks sir. I sent a mail.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Darocksvip: 12:52pm On Jan 27, 2022
finishedworks:

I don't know if it's still available but I got a UBA AFRI card. It acts like a credit card but you have to preload it with dollars. Used it to pay for different stuff before we landed. U don't have to have an account with them. And you can still use the card in Canada if you still have money in it. It helped because when we arrived we didn't have Canadian dollars, so paid for stuff with it till we got settled
Thank you so much. Please, can I mail your for more information?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Prettiepearlz(f): 12:59pm On Jan 27, 2022
Darocksvip:

Why not just contact UBA to get more information on the card yourself as the poster informed he/she doesn't know if the service is still running. The bank will give you all the information you need and more.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Darocksvip: 1:00pm On Jan 27, 2022
Prettiepearlz:

Why not just contact UBA to get more information on the card yourself as the poster informed he/she doesn't know if the service is still running. The bank will give you all the information you need and more.
Yes, you are so right. Thank you so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by adexyone(f): 3:25pm On Jan 27, 2022
Hello everyone. Pls where can I get good furniture in canada, calgary precisely apart from bricks and sofa land at affordable prices New furniture please. Thank you very much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 7:01pm On Jan 27, 2022
GraciousWords:

Thanks a lot!

Pls do you have any experience with the WISC V tests/evaluation? Can a parent request it or is it only done if the school considers it appropriate? Thanks again.

A parent can request the test for giftedness and it's covered by most workplace insurance benefits. You pay a psychologist to do it. Most of them charge $900 of the child turns out gifted, $500 if not.

A school can recommend the assessment after a minimum of one term, not necessarily one year. I believe school recommendation might lead to fully covered assessment. This option will definitely be slower than paying privately though.

Both the CBE and CSSD so not recommend separating gifted children. The children get special learning plans. However they can get separated after Grade 3, only recommended for those children who are not able to cope in the regular system. CBE and CSSD have schools for gifted congregate learning as from grade 4.

Westmount Charter is the only school where gifted are separate from kindergarten. It's a school solely for gifted children. However once you miss entry at kindergarten it becomes tough to get in. They take 70+ at kindergarten and then like 3 every year afterwards. I'm not sure how higher grades work, my info ends with elementary. A teacher's assessment is asked for as part of admission retirements but not compulsory.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GraciousWords: 7:16pm On Jan 27, 2022
19CannyMum:

A parent can request the test for giftedness and it's covered by most workplace insurance benefits. You pay a psychologist to do it. Most of them charge $900 of the child turns out gifted, $500 if not.

A school can recommend the assessment after a minimum of one term, not necessarily one year. I believe school recommendation might lead to fully covered assessment. This option will definitely be slower than paying privately though.

Both the CBE and CSSD so not recommend separating gifted children. The children get special learning plans. However they can get separated after Grade 3, only recommended for those children who are not able to cope in the regular system. CBE and CSSD have schools for gifted congregate learning as from grade 4.

Westmount Charter is the only school where gifted are separate from kindergarten. It's a school solely for gifted children. However once you miss entry at kindergarten it becomes tough to get in. They take 70+ at kindergarten and then like 3 every year afterwards. I'm not sure how higher grades work, my info ends with elementary. A teacher's assessment is asked for as part of admission retirements but not compulsory.

kiss kiss kiss 19CannyMum

Spot on. I researched a bit more and found out the same. There is a list of charter schools in Calgary that seem to go this route http://www.taapcs.ca/members-2/ And it's not limited to academic excellence, it could be for arts or music etc. Some with waiting lists even after you pass the WISC V. Better the teacher requested assessment, I think, as child gets to spend the first term settling down after moving to a new country anyway (this is for grade 7 or equivalent of JS1/Form 1), no rush at all and no immediate insurance cover.

I truly do appreciate you coming back after all this time. Blessings fall on you!

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by finishedworks: 8:41pm On Jan 27, 2022
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by finishedworks: 8:51pm On Jan 27, 2022
Darocksvip:

You can if you want to, but UBA should be your best bet. Got the card in 2018 so hopefully it is still a service they offer. And also make sure you ask all the questions to ensure the card can still do all I mentioned especially With all this changing policies.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 9:10pm On Jan 27, 2022
Amen, and you too! Was going through my mentions and realised I now have more info on the subject, so thought to share.

Charter schools all focus on different things. Westmount is the only charter school in Calgary focused on the gifted. Charter schools kind of serve as the experiment to know if the public system needs to float a new program of choice. If it's successful, the public system will likely adopt it.

In my opinion, the danger with academic based charter schools is that they are kind of one chance. What if your child is actually not STEM inclined and you send them to the STEM program? What if they fall behind academically in the arts program? Etc. In regular school, the child can pick a focus and later change their mind. Regular schools are more rounded with a choice of different programs.

FFCA is the charter school for the average, regular child who doesn't need a particular style of learning hence the crazy waitlist. TLCs are the public alternative that was floated in response to the strong demand for the traditional style program provided by FFCA.

I would advice you don't prepare your child for the IQ test. All they need is good sleep the night before and a good meal before the test so they don't get distracted by hunger. A child that is not gifted might pass the test due to preparation. But they will be at a disadvantage learning alongside gifted children. They'll have to study more, etc.

GraciousWords:

kiss kiss kiss 19CannyMum

Spot on. I researched a bit more and found out the same. There is a list of charter schools in Calgary that seem to go this route ( http://www.taapcs.ca/members-2/ ). And it's not limited to academic excellence, it could be for arts or music etc. Some with waiting lists even after you pass the WISC V. Better the teacher requested assessment, I think, as child gets to spend the first term settling down after moving to a new country anyway ( this is for grade 7 or equivalent of JS1), no rush at all and no immediate insurance cover.....OVO never release us yet wink The study materials too don't come cheap.

I truly do appreciate you coming back after all this time. Blessings fall on you!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 1:16am On Jan 28, 2022
Sashafiercediva:

You're referring to a credit card which can come with different credit limits depending on your profile. Some banks may start you with less and some may start you with more.

See links to the newcomer packages from the big 5 banks,

https://startright.scotiabank.com/newcomers.html

https://www.rbc.com/newcomers/

https://www.cibc.com/en/journeys/banking-offers-for-newcomers.html

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-banking/products/special-offers/newcomers-to-canada-banking-package/

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/newcomers-to-canada/

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 4:54am On Jan 28, 2022
grin Hockey plus skating

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GraciousWords: 7:56am On Jan 28, 2022
19CannyMum:

In my opinion, the danger with academic based charter schools is that they are kind of one chance. What if your child is actually not STEM inclined and you send them to the STEM program? What if they fall behind academically in the arts program? Etc. In regular school, the child can pick a focus and later change their mind. Regular schools are more rounded with a choice of different programs.

I would advice you don't prepare your child for the IQ test. All they need is good sleep the night before and a good meal before the test so they don't get distracted by hunger. A child that is not gifted might pass the test due to preparation. But they will be at a disadvantage learning alongside gifted children. They'll have to study more, etc.

Makes sense. Thanks again.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lasignor(m): 6:39pm On Jan 28, 2022
Hello guys. I need a little help.

Please, does anyone know a very good settlement agency in the GTA? Agent that can help newcomers with airport pick-up, help with SIN, bank accounts, buying a SIM card and internet, renting an apartment and so on?

We are ready to pay for these services. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 6:45pm On Jan 28, 2022
lasignor:
Hello guys. I need a little help.

Please, does anyone know a very good settlement agency in the GTA? Agent that can help newcomers with airport pick-up, help with SIN, bank accounts, buying a SIM card and internet, renting an apartment and so on?

We are ready to pay for these services. Thanks a lot.
welcome to Canada, land of DIY

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) (538) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.