Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,013 members, 7,825,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (534) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2198036 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) ... (714) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nat138: 9:01pm On Jan 24, 2022
JORDAN55:
Hello

Who knows of any tailor that slim fits clothes in the GTA are and isn’t too expensive please

JORDAN55:

Anyone please help

Contact House.of.Ajoke on Instagram, might help or point you in the right direction.
Or maybe you try looking around in one of the markets.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nat138: 9:07pm On Jan 24, 2022
SmartGadgetz:
Please I have an urgent question to ask concerning my sisters traveling to Canada for her studies in Canada in which she has gotten her visa and booked her flight for departure this week.

The question now is, her school is to resume by April/may this year 2022, she had written her Canadian school severally for them to adjust her resumption date to January or February but she didn't get any reply from them. She has gotten a Canadian visa since last year 2021 December.

Now, can anything affect her flight ticked she purchased from traveling knowing fully well that her school resumption time is April/may?

Please I need someone or persons with experience to clarify me on this situation, to avoid issues?

You can seek opinions or advise on the Canadian students thread and the IRCC website as well. But I think it is generally advisable to land one month to resumption. There may be issues at point of entry if she comes in now, as she has over two months before commencement of her course in April.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SmartGadgetz: 9:10pm On Jan 24, 2022
nat138:

You can seek opinions or advise on the Canadian students thread and the IRCC website as well. But I think it is generally advisable to land one month to resumption. There may be issues at point of entry if she comes in now, as she has over two months before commencement of her course in April.

Thanks for this information.
What do you mean by "point of entry" is it flight boarding here in Nigeria or at arrival in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ikez(m): 9:11pm On Jan 24, 2022
Dear All,

Compliments of the season!!!

Please I need your support/guidance on applying for Canadian Work Permit via Ghanian VFS.

I have an offer letter from a Canadian company but faced with a challenge of having to wait for 61 weeks to allow for the processing of TWP in Nigeria.

The company is not willing to wait for that long and I thought of applying through Ghana but don't know if there are some residency requirements I must meet.

I tried creating a TWP account online to start the application process but I don't know what to do to ensure the TWP is being processed via VFS-Ghana.

Please I need our help and guidance on this.

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JORDAN55: 9:34pm On Jan 24, 2022
nat138:

Contact House.of.Ajoke on Instagram, might help or point you in the right direction.
Or maybe you try looking around in one of the markets.

Thank you so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jadief: 10:04pm On Jan 24, 2022
Hello everyone and a happy new year to you.
Please I will be very grateful if I get a feedback on this .
I recently moved to Saskatchewan and intend switching from my banking career to HR. Please if anyone has made a switch like this can you be kind enough to put me through? I just landed a job in one of the banks and intend working and schooling same time for this career switch. I have a B.sc and PGD in business admin. Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SwayB(m): 10:23pm On Jan 24, 2022
ednut1:
Max well frsc
please how much does it cost or is it free; also are they in lagos?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nat138: 10:30pm On Jan 24, 2022
jadief:
Hello everyone and a happy new year to you.
Please I will be very grateful if I get a feedback on this .
I recently moved to Saskatchewan and intend switching from my banking career to HR. Please if anyone has made a switch like this can you be kind enough to put me through? I just landed a job in one of the banks and intend working and schooling same time for this career switch. I have a B.sc and PGD in business admin. Thank you

There is no limitation to what you can do or become. Switching careers is a constant thing, start your job as proposed and apply for the HR course (consider one with a coop option) to get you a foot into the sector. You may not be required to write a personal statement justifying the change (depending on the school and the level of study - Masters or Graduate cert). The sky is your playing field.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nat138: 10:32pm On Jan 24, 2022
SmartGadgetz:

Thanks for this information.
What do you mean by "point of entry" is it flight boarding here in Nigeria or at arrival in Canada?

Point of entry - destination country
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 10:35pm On Jan 24, 2022
SwayB:
please how much does it cost or is it free; also are they in lagos?
2020 I think I paid 5k and 2500 for postage to Lagos. Its not free o. negotiate

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jadief: 10:37pm On Jan 24, 2022
Thank you. I intend going for the certificate course at the saskpoly. Thank you once again.

There is no limitation to what you can do or become. Switching careers is a constant thing, start your job as proposed and apply for the HR course (consider one with a coop option) to get you a foot into the sector. You may not be required to write a personal statement justifying the change (depending on the school and the level of study - Masters or Graduate cert). The sky is your playing field. [/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CountVersailles(f): 11:56pm On Jan 24, 2022
SmartGadgetz:
Please I have an urgent question to ask concerning my sisters traveling to Canada for her studies in Canada in which she has gotten her visa and booked her flight for departure this week.

The question now is, her school is to resume by April/may this year 2022, she had written her Canadian school severally for them to adjust her resumption date to January or February but she didn't get any reply from them. She has gotten a Canadian visa since last year 2021 December.

Now, can anything affect her flight ticked she purchased from traveling knowing fully well that her school resumption time is April/may?

Please I need someone or persons with experience to clarify me on this situation, to avoid issues?
They won't allow her enter Canada if her school resumes in April and she arrives at the border in January. Whether she will be allowed in is at the total discretion of the border officer. Let her stay back in Nigeria, reschedule her flight, and go back in two months.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SmartGadgetz: 12:27am On Jan 25, 2022
nat138:

Point of entry - destination country

Ok.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheSeventeenth: 12:37am On Jan 25, 2022
This is definitely true and very valid for the most part.
There are places you do not want to live in the UK tho. Life was awesome when I was in Manchester, but had to move to Lancaster when I got a job up north (somewhere called Milnthorpe) in 2019. I had to talk to myself daily to remind myself there was a lot more to life. Then the lockdown came while I was still there (thankfully I had gotten married at this time) and it was still a mess. I was there for 9 months before I got a different job and had to move to Liverpool and things became better.
So moving to the UK is one thing, but there are UK cities that can rival whatever depression Canada has anyday, anytime; so it's worth looking out for.
As for making more money, I would think it's relative. Generally, I think living cost is a lot less in the UK (which is a major plus), but then in my field, the average salary in Canada (Toronto precisely) is way higher than most UK cities and probably at par with London (which is more expensive than Toronto).
I didn't have to change jobs on my move to Canada, and thankfully, my pay was adjusted (there are tools they use for these adjustments) and I honestly can save more at the end of every month. PS: this isn't peculiar to me.

So generally I think everybody's story is different and a lot of thoughts have to be given to what you do as a profession and where your bigger opportunities are.

But just like you, I found life in the UK easier. House search in Toronto was an extreme sport for me.
Naijaforeigner:

I lived in UK before moving over to Canada.

When it comes to the way of life, I prefer UK. The short distance by flight to Naija, the cheap Naija food, the fact that you feel like you are still close to home while living in the UK and so many other reasons will always make me prefer UK.

Personally, I think there is something missing in Canada when it comes to the social way of life. I have a good job, I am a PR but I still feel a void within me.
I never felt this way while I was in the UK even on a temporary Visa. Maybe it is just me, maybe it is the whole covid situation and the whole lockdown Canada has subjected us to. I just feel something is missing. This does not mean I do not like Canada, I just feel there could be more. This is my personal opinion!

Please note: Your Canada experience could be completely different to mine.

When it comes to making money, professional career and advancement, I would say both countries offer similar opportunities. Maybe you can make more money in UK but the difference can’t be too much when compared to Canada.

I always tell prospective immigrants to consider 2 things first before moving to any country; Human rights and ease of becoming a PR in that country. In UK and Canada, your human rights are fully covered which leads to the next one, ease of becoming a PR.

I don’t think any country in the world right now comes close to Canada (except New Zealand) when it comes to how fast you can become a PR. Canada is “dashing” out PR at the moment and this won’t stop anytime soon.
The downside is, Canada’s visa application/ process from Nigeria and even within Canada can be frustrating, challenging, time consuming and you will need all the patience in the world.

Finally, if you are looking for a way to get yourself and family out of Naija super fast, then UK is your go to country.

All the best and happy Sunday.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by casiello(m): 1:15am On Jan 25, 2022
TheSeventeenth:
There are places you do not want to live in the UK tho. Life was awesome when I was in Manchester, but had to move to Lancaster when I got a job up north (somewhere called Milnthorpe) in 2019. I had to talk to myself daily to remind myself there was a lot more to life. Then the lockdown came while I was still there (thankfully I had gotten married at this time) and it was still a mess. I was there for 9 months before I got a different job and had to move to Liverpool and things became better.
So moving to the UK is one thing, but there are UK cities that can rival whatever depression Canada has anyday, anytime; so it's worth looking out for.
As for making more money, I would think it's relative. Generally, I think living cost is a lot less in the UK (which is a major plus), but then in my field, the average salary in Canada (Toronto precisely) is way higher than most UK cities and probably at par with London (which is more expensive than Toronto).
I didn't have to change jobs on my move to Canada, and thankfully, my pay was adjusted (there are tools they use for these adjustments) and I honestly can save more at the end of every month. PS: this isn't peculiar to me.

So generally I think everybody's story is different and a lot of thoughts have to be given to what you do as a profession and where your bigger opportunities are.

But just like you, I found life in the UK easier. House search in Toronto was an extreme sport for me.

Thanks a lot for sharing. What is your career field please?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheSeventeenth: 1:29am On Jan 25, 2022
I'm in IT. Software Eng. to be precise.

casiello:

Thanks a lot for sharing. What is your career field please?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by orobs93(m): 2:11am On Jan 25, 2022
peruxie:

Are you still up for this?

What’s your intended location ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Naijaforeigner: 10:52am On Jan 25, 2022
biglizzy:

What options are open to someone hoping to migrate to the UK with their family?

Boss, you will need to do your own research on the possible migration routes to the UK and then decide on the best option for you and your family based on your financial level, qualifications and so forth.

There are UK visa threads on Nairaland if you need further information.

Back then, I moved to the UK 8 years ago via studies. This was the best route for me at the time.

All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Naijaforeigner: 10:55am On Jan 25, 2022
ednut1:
unfortunately they have done skilled workers draws in 13 months. And from a recently leaked memo they may not do draws soon unless maybe the minister has other plans. PR is no longer being dashed out in Canada o.

Yeah, you are right about some programs being on hold at the moment.

With time, these programs will reopen. Canada needs immigrants.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Naijaforeigner: 11:01am On Jan 25, 2022
TheSeventeenth:

Thank you for your additional inputs. Always good to hear someone else’s story.

I completely agree that there are some cities in UK that will nearly drive one nuts.

May God help us all in this our abroad journey (amen).

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blurpy: 12:41pm On Jan 25, 2022
Care to mention the best cities to live in UK in terms of social life apart from London?
Naijaforeigner:

Thank you for your additional inputs. Always good to hear someone else’s story.

I completely agree that there are some cities in UK that will nearly drive one nuts.

May God help us all in this our abroad journey (amen).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ninab: 4:01pm On Jan 25, 2022
Please someone should help me please this is urgent

Hello Nairaland,
Please I am new here and I need help
can anyone help me with a day care facility or creche in Ontario Canada preferably close to Fanshawe College.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Naijaforeigner: 5:44pm On Jan 25, 2022
Blurpy:
Care to mention the best cities to live in UK in terms of social life apart from London?

If you don’t mind, can you ask your question on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/6719932/living-uk-life-immigrant-part-2/217

You will get a larger input on that thread and first hand Info from people who are living in UK at the moment. Thank you.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rheene009: 7:29pm On Jan 25, 2022
Nairalanders please help. i applied exemption through PHAC for compassionate grounds, because myself and my baby we're sick and need my spouse's physical support. My doctor signed my letter of support which my spouse applied for the exemption. Within 12hr he got an email saying " On your application you have indicated that you meet the Government of Canada requirements of fully vaccinated travellers. As such, an exemption through the Compassionate Exemption Program is not required, and your application will now be closed." Anyone understands how this PHAC/ compassionate grounds works?

thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
SmartGadgetz:

They just don’t switch resumption date anyhow, wen no be daycare.

She applied to start in summer of 2022; she was admitted based on that. The only thing they can do is defer it to a later date.

As per travelling now, what will she tell the border officer that she will be doing till April; mind you, she can’t work until her school starts and her permit will start as soon they issue it; so extra 2 or 3 months wasted already.

Let her wait and go in March.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SwayB(m): 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2022
ednut1:
2020 I think I paid 5k and 2500 for postage to Lagos. Its not free o. negotiate
alright. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Aimajoyce: 3:42am On Jan 26, 2022
Drycleaners usually offer alterations services, so I will say check and compare prices with a few. Your local mall or market should have them. Or Google the closest ones to you and check.

JORDAN55:
Hello

Who knows of any tailor that slim fits clothes in the GTA are and isn’t too expensive please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 26, 2022
~
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pee2Jay9: 2:48pm On Jan 26, 2022
Hello everyone.. With tax season almost here, kindly advice students on how to go about it. What is required for filing and is it online? All inputs and explanations are much appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jayifeanyi1234: 3:14pm On Jan 26, 2022
Good day Nairaland family.Hope we are doing well.

Pls, I have a question; any issue with changing course outside Canada, say Marketing Management to Project Management (DP) within the same DLI?

Deferred from Sept-May 2022 due to PPR delay and now no seat till Sept2022.

Your contribution/input will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 26, 2022

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JORDAN55: 5:39pm On Jan 26, 2022
Aimajoyce:
Drycleaners usually offer alterations services, so I will say check and compare prices with a few. Your local mall or market should have them. Or Google the closest ones to you and check.

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it. God bless you

(1) (2) (3) ... (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) (536) (537) ... (714) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: sisit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.