Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (566) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182687 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) (569) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 1:40am On Jun 05, 2022
ednut1:
this is not true. Stop lumping all countries together. The kind of Nigerians in Canada are mostly not same with those in malaysia, cyprus, south africa, uae etc. some Nigerians are doing good in those countries too, while some are doing bad . Russians, north koreas, indians are into scams and crime, why are their people not judged

It's well
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 1:41am On Jun 05, 2022
ednut1:
computer programer that cant research or check the posted links . Wetin musa no go see for gate

The thing tire me sef

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 1:45am On Jun 05, 2022
Toronto Island

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 6:28am On Jun 05, 2022
oluayebenz:
I met someone today who clearly denied his nationality... When your accent, looks clearly shows Nigerian.

We met at a wear store in Toronto, we interacted and ask him his background and he denied his nationality straight up and said 'he's from the caribbean, which his actually from Nigeria.
I told him I'm a Nigerian and we exchanged number

Initially I knew this guy is a Nigerian and his whatsapp picture gave me double assurance.

But the issue is why are Nigerians in diaspora [/b]denying their origin?

[b]Majority of Nigerian living oversea has messed up and tarnished the issue of Nigeria. This people misused precious opportunities giving to them by the oyinbos.

Now we will be lamenting on the government back home, is the govt the problem here again? People will hardly give you regards here as a Nigerian. Nigerians are known for cheap scams.
[/b]The girls will never wanna date you as a Nigerian.[/b]

In Italy, landlords will never want to rent you their house once they discover you are a Nigerian.
In dubai, no job for Nigerians, its hard to get one
In SA, they are known for drugs and all sort of rubbish.
Infact all the country in the world won't want to associate once they knew you are a Nigerian, even some African countries

Yet we kept on blaming the government.

Even the ones back home has spoiled the country image internationally.
Calling her Zoo and all sort.

Are Nigerians abroad doing any better? NO

These people need to change their ways.
It's not few Nigerians, but Majority.

With respect to the ladies, not necessarily true. From experience, once they know you are Nigerian, you get priorities over other nationality. Lol.

Your conclusions are worrying and your level of generalization is troublesome.

My experiences alone faults all the conclusions you made.

Now to the issue at hand, it is his life- if he chooses to deny his origin, that is his problem to deal with not yours.

If person say e no be Nigerian, why e Dey pain you?

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tracy0803409: 1:30pm On Jun 05, 2022
Good day Family, please can i get infomation/ideas for the cost of daycare centres precisely in London,Ontario,does the Canadian Government help in subsiding the cost for international students.

Please kindly help a first time mum, is all about me planning well to succeed

God bless you all, thanks for your responses Family.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 2:46pm On Jun 05, 2022
tracy0803409:
Good day Family, please can i get infomation/ideas for the cost of daycare centres precisely in London,Ontario,does the Canadian Government help in subsiding the cost for international students.

Please kindly help a first time mum, is all about me planning well to succeed

God bless you all, thanks for your responses Family.

For Childcare

https://www.ontario.ca/page/child-care-subsidies

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maggiespecial(f): 5:41pm On Jun 05, 2022
Hello good day and happy Sunday
Please I want to ask

If you want to buy a house in Canada (Mortgage)
How many percentage is the down payment if you are new and don't have any credit score yet
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maggiespecial(f): 5:46pm On Jun 05, 2022
maziude:

For Childcare

Please I will like to have Alberta own too please ���
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2022
Maggiespecial:

Please I will like to have Alberta own too please ���

https://www.alberta.ca/child-care-subsidy.aspx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2022
Maggiespecial:
Please I want to ask

How many percentage is the down payment if you are new and don't have any credit score yet

Contact the banks, they will give you the most up to date info
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maggiespecial(f): 6:00pm On Jun 05, 2022
[quote author=maziude post=113502857]

https://www.alberta.ca/child-care-subsidy.aspx[/quote

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maggiespecial(f): 6:06pm On Jun 05, 2022
maziude:

Contact the banks, they will give you the most up to date info

Ok thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tracy0803409: 8:31pm On Jun 05, 2022
maziude:

For Childcare

Thank you so much Sir, God bless
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 9:23am On Jun 06, 2022
Hello house, good day.

Please, what's the best way/route to get to London, Ontario..? My flight is from Lagos-Toronto but my final destination is London.

Also, anyone that has potential/available accommodation in London.?

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 1:46pm On Jun 06, 2022
Afolavid:
Hello house, good day.

Please, what's the best way/route to get to London, Ontario..? My flight is from Lagos-Toronto but my final destination is London.

Also, anyone that has potential/available accommodation in London.?

Thanks

You should book a flight from Lagos to London, that takes out the stress of having to scuffle last minute at Toronto especially if you are a first time traveller to Canada. Don’t underestimate the stress you will go through.

However, if you booked your flight to Toronto, after clearing customs and getting your bags, you can book a flight to London at any of the local airline kiosk located at the airport.

You should sort out your accommodation first. That is priority!!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 4:29pm On Jun 06, 2022
Is anyone into shipping or sales of cars here?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afolavid: 8:27pm On Jun 06, 2022
maziude:

You should book a flight from Lagos to London, that takes out the stress of having to scuffle last minute at Toronto especially if you are a first time traveller to Canada. Don’t underestimate the stress you will go through.

However, if you booked your flight to Toronto, after clearing customs and getting your bags, you can book a flight to London at any of the local airline kiosk located at the airport.

You should sort out your accommodation first. That is priority!!!

I already booked Lagos-Toronto. Will do just that, thanks a lot!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 1:02am On Jun 07, 2022
oluayebenz:
I met someone today who clearly denied his nationality... When your accent, looks clearly shows Nigerian.

But the issue is why are Nigerians in diaspora denying their origin?

Majority of Nigerian living oversea has messed up and tarnished the issue of Nigeria. This people misused precious opportunities giving to them by the oyinbos.

Infact all the country in the world won't want to associate once they knew you are a Nigerian, even some African countries

Misery sure loves company. Please speak for yourself and for the people in your circle.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 1:05am On Jun 07, 2022
Maggiespecial:
Please I want to ask

For first time buyers, usually 5% on the first $500,000, then 10% on the remaining amount.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eyegroup: 8:58am On Jun 07, 2022
cry
ednut1:
computer programer that cant research or check the posted links . Wetin musa no go see for gate
My brother nothing like asking question don't be too wise and brag like a kids okay.... Don't behavior like Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eyegroup: 9:03am On Jun 07, 2022
oluayebenz:

The thing tire me sef
The main reason am here is for direction but seem over pride comes out from here...my dear, I know I can research but why the reason you are there is it for snapping pictures..if you can't help just keep mute..

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 9:08am On Jun 07, 2022
This our computer guruji matter no tire person like this grin

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richdee1(m): 9:45am On Jun 07, 2022
Eyegroup:

The main reason am here is for direction but seem over pride comes out from here...my dear, I know I can research but why the reason you are there is it for snapping pictures..if you can't help just keep mute..

SEND A message, I have sure link for Work Visa
cool
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maggiespecial(f): 11:20am On Jun 07, 2022
SlowlybtSurely:

For first time buyers, usually 5% on the first $500,000, then 10% on the remaining amount.

Thank you so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 11:32am On Jun 07, 2022
Richdee1:

SEND A message, I have sure link for Work Visa
cool

Abeg no forget me when the LOOT don land grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 12:55pm On Jun 07, 2022
Eyegroup:
cry
My brother nothing like asking question don't be too wise and brag like a kids okay.... Don't behavior like Nigerian.
ok mr computer programmer. When you are ready you will go read the student visa links shared earlier. This thread is for life in Canada

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lightswitch007: 2:27pm On Jun 08, 2022
oluayebenz:

We met at a wear store in Toronto, we interacted and ask him his background and he denied his nationality straight up and said 'he's from the caribbean, which his actually from Nigeria.
I told him I'm a Nigerian and we exchanged number

Initially I knew this guy is a Nigerian and his whatsapp picture gave me double assurance.

But the issue is why are Nigerians in diaspora denying their origin?

Majority of Nigerian living oversea has messed up and tarnished the issue of Nigeria. This people misused precious opportunities giving to them by the oyinbos.

Now we will be lamenting on the government back home, is the govt the problem here again? People will hardly give you regards here as a Nigerian. Nigerians are known for cheap scams.
The girls will never wanna date you as a Nigerian.

In Italy, landlords will never want to rent you their house once they discover you are a Nigerian.
In dubai, no job for Nigerians, its hard to get one

I respect your opinion but honestly, it’s not a big deal and I understand why the dude denied being Nigerian. I respect and support his decision and I won’t judge him based on that. Idk if you’ve “LIVED” outside Canada & Nigeria and I don’t mean "visit" other countries but “lived”…. If you have then this shouldn’t be a surprise to you. I have lived in southeast Asia since 2016 and had my Master's and Ph.D. there and I can tell you I always claimed to be from Cape Town…when they ask where is that located I’ll say South Africa. I don’t associate with Nigerians there only coworkers, or church members, and neither do I live in a neighbourhood where there are lotta Nigerians. I was the only black dude in a Chinese-dominated estate that’s how strict I lived my life, never to be judged based on my country and I live with that rule to date. That’s why I love visiting Japan and South Korea they don’t ask the sentence “where you from”. I deny being Nigerian when I have to, it’s the stigma attached to the name Nigeria!. That’s why I hate the sentence “where are you from” it’s a trigger to some of the things I lost just by claiming to be Nigerian. So don’t judge anyone because he denied being Nigerian they have their reasons.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 6:31pm On Jun 08, 2022
lightswitch007:

I respect your opinion but honestly, it’s not a big deal and I understand why the dude denied being Nigerian. I respect and support his decision and I won’t judge him based on that. Idk if you’ve “LIVED” outside Canada & Nigeria and I don’t mean "visit" other countries but “lived”…. If you have then this shouldn’t be a surprise to you. I have lived in southeast Asia since 2016 and had my Master's and Ph.D. there and I can tell you I always claimed to be from Cape Town…when they ask where is that located I’ll say South Africa. I don’t associate with Nigerians there only coworkers, or church members, and neither do I live in a neighbourhood where there are lotta Nigerians. I was the only black dude in a Chinese-dominated estate that’s how strict I lived my life, never to be judged based on my country and I live with that rule to date. That’s why I love visiting Japan and South Korea they don’t ask the sentence “where you from”. I deny being Nigerian when I have to, it’s the stigma attached to the name Nigeria!. That’s why I hate the sentence “where are you from” it’s a trigger to some of the things I lost just by claiming to be Nigerian. So don’t judge anyone because he denied being Nigerian they have their reasons.

What you are defending is a lie of convenience. A lie that helps to avoid other possibly difficult questions. It’s okay if that’s something you also do, but it’s untenable to claim that it’s not a big deal. It is in fact a big deal. We may not have been able to choose where we all come from, but we owe it to our future generations or our children to stand tall and accept our identities. I hate to make the comparison, but if you can make excuses for this, who is to say you won’t make excuses for a visibly white, but genetically black person who claims to be white just to escape the travails his race is going through when they could instead join the campaign to right the wrong in society? I’m not making this up. There have been cases and they make for stunning stories of years of lies. Would you perhaps even go further to change your skin color if the chance presented itself because it will save you even more trouble and/or more stares? Think about that!

Some people think they are compassionate or that they are good people, but they have hardly passed a true test such as this where they have to admit who they truly are, or to which group they belong in the face of whatever disadvantages it may bring. But is it even truly disadvantageous to say you are Nigerian? If you are good people, shouldn’t you care to let those who deride Nigerians see an exception in you? I think the question you should ask yourself is if you want to continuously be the example that will make others see Nigerians in better light or if you just want to run away from your identity because it is inconvenient.

Perhaps you are a Christian. If you are, also ask yourself, “what would Jesus do?” wink

NB: I am no Christian

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Reedahbaby01(f): 7:56pm On Jun 08, 2022
Reedahbaby01:
hello everyone I'm a little bit young and it took alot of courage for me to post here
I'm 15 years old, my family is in this process is thought of helping my mum out with some infos here she's a busy person and she's already on numerous whatsapp and telegram groups already, we got ITA via MPNP our AOR is January 2022
I heard PNP application processing time is already back in the 6 months range, I just want to confirm that for my mum
Also, I'm in ss3 I want to know if it's better for me to go back to high school when we get to winnipeg or I should go to college straight away. but I want to go back to high school because I literally don't understand the context of Nigerian physics and chemistry
ps: I've been on this thread since 2019 I logged in 2022
your responses are highly appreciated
cheers!!
update everyone
PPR landed a few hours ago but WAEC is in progress already so I'm sitting for it smiley
Thank you for your kind thoughts and advices!!!

32 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Toluadesh: 8:42pm On Jun 08, 2022
Bidoomolala:

Pls I am interested in joining the Alberta WhatsApp group.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Omoba95(f): 8:47pm On Jun 08, 2022
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a one/two bedroom apartment close to Centennial college progress campus.

Move in date: July/August 2022

Budget : one bedroom - $600
Two bedroom- $1,500

Any leads will be appreciated. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lightswitch007: 9:56pm On Jun 08, 2022
cochtrane:

What you are defending is a lie of convenience. A lie that helps to avoid other possibly difficult questions. It’s okay if that’s something you also do, but it’s untenable to claim that it’s not a big deal. It is in fact a big deal. We may not have been able to choose where we all come from, but we owe it to our future generations or our children to stand tall and accept our identities. I hate to make the comparison, but if you can make excuses for this, who is to say you won’t make excuses for a visibly white, but genetically black person who claims to be white just to escape the travails his race is going through when they could instead join the campaign to right the wrong in society? I’m not making this up. There have been cases and they make for stunning stories of years of lies. Would you perhaps even go further to change your skin color if the chance presented itself because it will save you even more trouble and/or more stares? Think about that!

Some people think they are compassionate or that they are good people, but they have hardly passed a true test such as this where they have to admit who they truly are, or to which group they belong in the face of whatever disadvantages it may bring. But is it even truly disadvantageous to say you are Nigerian? If you are good people, shouldn’t you care to let those who deride Nigerians see an exception in you? I think the question you should ask yourself is if you want to continuously be the example that will make others see Nigerians in better light or if you just want to run away from your identity because it is inconvenient.

Perhaps you are a Christian. If you are, also ask yourself, “what would Jesus do?” wink

NB: I am no Christian

Singapore a simple, peaceful, lovely and friendly country the number one most powerful passport in the world was visa-free to Nigerians, till Nigerians took it for granted due to drug trafficking and crime, there was no week without a Nigerian caught doing a criminal act. In 2014/2015 the privilege was taken away, visa-free was cancelled, and my PR application was denied. Communities with a lot of Nigerians were required to vacate. Malaysia the closest country became the hotspot. I almost lost my job, my work visa was limited to 12 months to be renewed yearly. My ex-boss was a big help to me, if not I would have been kicked out for just being a Nigerian. Till I left that country every time I receive my salary I get a call from my bank to verify the payment that was made. Almost got my account locked & closed because I wired money to Nigeria. So so many ill-treatment for just being a Nigerian. So if you’re comparing race and denying a country then you’re mistaken. These are just a few things I experienced due to the reputation and the stigma attached to the name Nigeria. So when you ask me “Where are you from” don’t expect Nigeria from me.
Like I said if you haven’t LIVED outside North America or UK you can't understand how the name Nigeria is costing people. Canada did a great job curbing and limiting the influx of migrants that’s why there’s limited discrimination and you can easily see Nigerians working in Banks or financial institutions in Canada.
The talk about our future generation, I choose not to discuss that, my honest truth: the future generation of Nigeria is Fked.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) (569) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.