Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,413 members, 7,864,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 07:53 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (716) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2233228 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by monvous: 9:59pm On May 22
A room for a single female in a two bedroom apartment
Location is North york Toronto, its 20mins walk to nork york centre 5mins by bus to subway station
Rent is $800 utilities inclusive. First and last month required.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bettypro(f): 1:04pm On May 23
Hi everyone, please, I arrived in Ontario, Canada exactly one month ago as a student and I currently stay in Vaughan and school in Toronto. Please I need group links for Nigerians in Vaughan and the North York areas. It's been really difficult navigating settling in as I haven’t been able to meet other Nigerians as much as necessary. Please I need help and guidance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dialinn: 5:33pm On May 23
For those in Saint John, NB:

Apartment available immediately for rent.
* $1,500 per month plus all utilities except water
* Midwood Avenue, Saint John, NB E2P 1K6
This is a decent 2-bedroom apartment on the east side of Saint John. It is very close to the refinery, NBCC and other relevant outlets. It is move-in ready and has ample space for parking and storage. DM me for further details. Thank you.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by monvous: 10:34pm On May 23
Bettypro:
Hi everyone, please, I arrived in Ontario, Canada exactly one month ago as a student and I currently stay in Vaughan and school in Toronto. Please I need group links for Nigerians in Vaughan and the North York areas. It's been really difficult navigating settling in as I haven’t been able to meet other Nigerians as much as necessary. Please I need help and guidance.
Hi I live in North york if you don't mind we can connect
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jakeroberto(m): 1:08am On May 24
Hi guys,
I need your advice. Do you think I should apply for express entry now? I am currently a student here in Canada. I am not yet through with my studies though.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 2:22pm On May 24
The thing really baffles me. I have argued so much with many at different forums.

Dont come to Canada without money and depend on miracle. When you talk, they will say you don't want their progress. With all my qualifications, network and smartness, e no easy for me sef, i had to come back to Nigeria. I might go back again, just maybe. I am even advising one guy now that his wife left because they couldn't pay the $8k balance school fees and another man deceived her with fake account balance. They arrived Canada as student and dependent only August 2023 as student and dependant, now both are asylum claimants, potentially failed claimants. I have advised him to tell immigration to send them back to Naija cos now he has sold all his properties, relocated to Canada and within 10 months, lost his wife and kids, broke and depressed.
uchennay:

So, you are a student and arrive Canada with less than $1000 in a new country, despite the abundance of information online about the current job situation in Canada and the cost of living. It is impossible to depend on working to pay your bills with the current 20-hour work rule and lack of jobs . Now you urgently need work. I think you should have applied for a job at the airport when you arrived because many of you are leaving Nigeria without common sense, and agents are deceiving you. If you're not careful, you might end up seeking asylum and deportation await many of you..hope you hold mat becos no space for their shelter and you go sleep for floor or park for few days! hope you never sell your ancestor land and property in Nigeria before you relocate to Canada as a student where you go pick money on the tree in your dream.you go learn the hard way!

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 2:33pm On May 24
jakeroberto:
Hi guys,
I need your advice. Do you think I should apply for express entry now? I am currently a student here in Canada. I am not yet through with my studies though.
if you qualify ( points or occupation wise) for express entry nothing stops you from applying na.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 3:37pm On May 24
megastu:
The thing really baffles me. I have argued so much with many at different forums.

Dont come to Canada without money and depend on miracle. When you talk, they will say you don't want their progress. With all my qualifications, network and smartness, e no easy for me sef, i had to come back to Nigeria. I might go back again, just maybe. I am even advising one guy now that his wife left because they couldn't pay the $8k balance school fees and another man deceived her with fake account balance. They arrived Canada as student and dependent only August 2023 as student and dependant, now both are asylum claimants, potentially failed claimants. I have advised him to tell immigration to send them back to Naija cos now [b]he has sold all his properties, relocated to Canada and within 10 months, lost his wife and kids, broke and depresse[/b]d.

That person need to be monitored

All these within a year. Mehn

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by taiyod: 9:20pm On May 24
monvous:
A room for a single female in a two bedroom apartment
Location is North york Toronto, its 20mins walk to nork york centre 5mins by bus to subway station
Rent is $800 utilities inclusive. First and last month required.
Please check your PM. Or how else can I contact you?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zimzee: 9:36am On May 25
Has anyone experienced this before? I applied for canada visa using my married name as last name. Every document i submitted has my husband's name as my last including my passport. My application portal is showing my correct last name. Even my biometric instruction letter came with correct name.
However, after my visa was approved, the original passport request letter and biometric validity letter came in today, bearing my MAIDEN name instead of my MARRIAGE name as my last name., it was shocking to me.
The only place I mentioned my maiden name was where I was asked in the application form If I have used any other name in the past and I said yes and I put the name. I have carefully gone back to check my application form but there was no such error.

I don't know how they mixed it up.

I am going to VFS office to drop my passport for the visa stamping on Tuesday. I don't know how to rectify this issue. Should I send webform or should I explain at vfs?
Who has a better idea? My travel date is very near.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by T2SSpace(f): 9:38am On May 25
Greetings to you all,

Are you overwhelmed with tasks and need reliable support to streamline your operations? I am a seasoned virtual assistant and I offer the following services-
•Admin Support
•Data Entry & Bookkeeping
•Customer Support
•Cold and Warm Calling
•Email and DM Management
•Website and Blog Management
•Calendar Management
•Social Media Mgt & Content Creation
•Nigerian Passport (New & Renewal)
•Flight Booking (Local & International)

Why Choose Me?
Proven expertise and positive client reviews
Efficient and timely task completion
High-quality customer support
Reliable on-time delivery
24/7 availability for your needs

Let’s connect and discuss how I can help you achieve your individual and business goals.

Call/WhatsApp- 08070730373
officialt2sspace@gmail.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by harmonyedu: 12:53pm On May 25
Dear Nairaland,
Kindly advise on the below for students that are currently in Lakeland College, Vermillion, Alberta.

I want to book my flight next week against the third
Week of August, so it will be a bit affordable.
For a family of 4(2 adults, 3 year and A year old).

The school advise we land in Calgary International airport and take a local flight to lloydminster Local airport and from there take a cab or bus to Vermillion which is 40 minutes drive.

Another option is Edmonton International airport and 2 and half hours by road to Vermillion.

For students that are currently at Lakeland College or graduate from the College, kindly advise the best route and Airline to book.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by monvous: 10:38pm On May 25
taiyod:

Please check your PM. Or how else can I contact you?
I have replied your mail. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 11:33pm On May 25
harmonyedu:
Dear Nairaland,
Kindly advise on the below for students that are currently in Lakeland College, Vermillion, Alberta.

I want to book my flight next week against the third
Week of August, so it will be a bit affordable.
For a family of 4(2 adults, 3 year and A year old).

The school advise we land in Calgary International airport and take a local flight to lloydminster Local airport and from there take a cab or bus to Vermillion which is 40 minutes drive.

Another option is Edmonton International airport and 2 and half hours by road to Vermillion.

For students that are currently at Lakeland College or graduate from the College, kindly advise the best route and Airline to book.

Thanks
Wow . Omo Naija people dey waka o. Vermillion!
I think it may be better to do Edmonton and then do a road trip up to Vermillion.

Jumping from flight to flight may be hard on the little ones, plus flights to these smaller cities/town are not so frequent so you don’t want to find yourself stranded if you miss the flight.

If money is not a constraint, I would suggest KLM. Nigeria to Amsterdam and then direct to Edmonton.

Caveat: I don’t know your situation so take my advice with a pinch of salt, and do what’s best for you.

All the best!

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by realogk: 12:20pm On May 26
Mariojane:
thank you

How far MarioJane . How can I contact you. I have a very important message I need to ask ooooooo. Abeg ooooo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by harmonyedu: 4:33pm On May 26
Thank you so much for your advice.
I appreciate.

jjohndoe83:

Wow . Omo Naija people dey waka o. Vermillion!
I think it may be better to do Edmonton and then do a road trip up to Vermillion.

Jumping from flight to flight may be hard on the little ones, plus flights to these smaller cities/town are not so frequent so you don’t want to find yourself stranded if you miss the flight.

If money is not a constraint, I would suggest KLM. Nigeria to Amsterdam and then direct to Edmonton.

Caveat: I don’t know your situation so take my advice with a pinch of salt, and do what’s best for you.

All the best!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JhyMedex: 10:09pm On May 26
Great thread!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mariojane(f): 4:45am On May 28
realogk:

How far MarioJane . How can I contact you. I have a very important message I need to ask ooooooo. Abeg ooooo
email me and I will give you my number
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mrcodebreaker: 5:24pm On May 28
Not Canada related but definitely similar from the topics i see in this group as it is for a different country. So apologies to derail a bit. I and my gf are not planning on getting married yet officially but in 2026 we will. However I need to provide one of the below requirements:

One of the following:
-A photocopy of your common law certificate
-A notarised affidavit from you confirming that you and your spouse are in a common-law relationship under your home country’s laws
-Letter .from the embassy which confirmed that you and your partner are considered to be in a common-law relationship under their law

What kind of doc can I provide in this regard that says common law relationship.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dauphine(f): 12:17pm On May 29
This common law certificate is funny but anyways most people I know use a rent or mortgage agreement showing both their names ie that they live together, some support with pictures.

mrcodebreaker:
Not Canada related but definitely similar from the topics i see in this group as it is for a different country. So apologies to derail a bit. I and my gf are not planning on getting married yet officially but in 2026 we will. However I need to provide one of the below requirements:

One of the following:
-A photocopy of your common law certificate
-A notarised affidavit from you confirming that you and your spouse are in a common-law relationship under your home country’s laws
-Letter .from the embassy which confirmed that you and your partner are considered to be in a common-law relationship under their law

What kind of doc can I provide in this regard that says common law relationship.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SisterDeborah: 12:55am On May 30
Which province please?

AirBay:

Just a note here, it's not possible to use a student loan to make a down payment for a house. The loan is not paid to the student's account, it is paid directly to the school and in batch payments.

What people use for down payment is the grant. The grant depends on your course, family size and your net income from last tax year. I have a friend who got a total grant of $36k (family of
4). The $36k he got included grant from canada govt, province and school grant. His total fees was around $19k for a 2years course. 36k is enough for down payment for a 3bed town house in most of the province except ON. Also this 36k is not paid once, it's in batches across the 2years.

I did a top course last year and got a grant of $6k, it was just a 3months top up course. I was new in canada and have 0 income from previous year, so I qualified for some grants, same for my friend. Best time to get grants is when you're new in canada with small income, so you get a lot of benefits that are for low income earners. Once you start earning above 20k per year, grant go decrease o

If someone collects a loan and does not go to the school, there are implications, such individual must return the full amount that has been paid within 1month I think, this is stated clearly on studentaid Websites.

Also students now have up to 1year grace after the completion of their studies to start payments, in total students have 9years to pay back. Some people pay as low as $50 per month depending on the loan amount.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Canadahome: 5:21am On May 30
kad199:
Do those job agency charge for their services?

No. But, certainly will make money from your pay.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaeul(f): 5:53am On May 30
Please I need advice, My spouse came to Canada on SOWP. He is now qualified for PR under NB and AIP while am still a student. Can he apply for PR with the kids now. Am I allowed to be his dependent now or do I have to wait after graduation as I also qualify for PR immediately after graduation as I school in NB
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 5:35pm On May 30
gaeul:
Please I need advice, My spouse came to Canada on SOWP. He is now qualified for PR under NB and AIP while am still a student. Can he apply for PR with the kids now. Am I allowed to be his dependent now or do I have to wait after graduation as I also qualify for PR immediately after graduation as I school in NB

Since your spouse qualifies for PR under NBPNP and AIP, he can apply for PR now and include you and the children as dependents. You are eligible to be included in his PR application even as a current student. There's no need to wait until after graduation. Including you now simplifies the process, ensuring your whole family can obtain PR status together.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaeul(f): 2:57am On May 31
Thanks so much for this, much appreciated. Do I also have to write English test ow will his suffice. Thanks.
House34:

Since your spouse qualifies for PR under NBPNP and AIP, he can apply for PR now and include you and the children as dependents. You are eligible to be included in his PR application even as a current student. There's no need to wait until after graduation. Including you now simplifies the process, ensuring your whole family can obtain PR status together.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jakeroberto(m): 7:41am On May 31
ednut1:
if you qualify ( points or occupation wise) for express entry nothing stops you from applying na.

Thank you very much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by harmonyedu: 1:44pm On May 31
Dear Nairaland,
Kindly assist with this information,

I am a student and I have 2 kids(3 years and a year old).

I have gotten my study permit and they both got visitors visa.
How do I convert it to Visitors Record or study permit to allow them go to Pre school or Primary school.

Kindly advise for those with experience
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 2:25pm On May 31
Canada is too cold people wont talk again till November 🥱

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by realogk: 2:58pm On May 31
Mariojane:
email me and I will give you my number
I just checked my NL email na rubbish I type there 😄 omo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Canadahome: 2:00am On Jun 01
Hello guys,

Does anyone know the airline that can allow a Nigerian travel to Nigeria with an expired passport?

Secondly, can an infant with a Canadian passport travel to Nigeria without a visa and apply for visa on arrival at the airport in Nigeria?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by miolad20(m): 5:54pm On Jun 01
Summer is here, it's the best time to go on a road trip and to experience the beauty of this country we've come to call home.

My friends and I took a 2600KM 2-day drive from Toronto to Regina few weeks ago. Here's a video about the trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIPztuIgEs

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 6:06pm On Jun 01
miolad20:
Summer is here, it's the best time to go on a road trip and to experience the beauty of this country we've come to call home.

My friends and I took a 2600KM 2-day drive from Toronto to Regina few weeks ago. Here's a video about the trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIPztuIgEs
lord knows i will sleep off on the wheel if i try this😁 🙏🏾

(1) (2) (3) ... (713) (714) (715) (716) (717) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.