Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,055 members, 7,810,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda (7468 Views)

60 Reps Seek Change From Presidential To Parliamentary System / 2023: We’re Moving Out Of PDP If Crisis Remains Unresolved - Jerry Gana / Gbajabiamila Arrives Uganda For Parliamentary Conference (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by 12Ebisco: 6:34am On Jan 02, 2019
A member of House of Representatives, Mr Kinsley Chinda (PDP-Rivers), has said that adopting parliamentary system of government in Nigeria will help reduce corruption and address frictions among different arms of government in Nigeria.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, Chinda, who led 71 other lawmakers to sponsor a bill to revert the county to parliamentary system at the House in December 2018, disclosed this while speaking in Abuja on Tuesday.

He said the idea was out of the need to curb frictions and ensure synergy among arms of government.

According to him, “if you ask some legislators of some government policies, it is difficult for them to clearly understand because the interface between the executive and the legislature is not as it should be.

“The parliamentary system will ensure that the Executive, Legislature and Judiciary are on the same page.

“The system will iron out all these things; that is why we have thrown it up for Nigerians to look at, discuss and see that it will help us in proffering solutions to some of the problems of our country.’’

Chinda added that there was need to try something else away from the presidential system as the cost of governance was too high for the country.

The lawmaker said in the process of introducing the bill, the sponsors considered the idea of a unicameral legislature as against bicameral currently being practised.

He said he was in support of a unicameral legislature as it would further cut cost. Chinda said the sponsors of the bill were not condemning the presidential system neither were they praising parliamentary system but were looking for a system that best suits Nigeria, given its dynamic nature.

He recalled that Nigeria practised parliamentary system in the past where power was devolved, leading to healthy competition among regions and resulting in great progress.

“What we have proposed in that bill is that the exclusive list should be pruned down and so issues of devolution of power is taken care of and I can assure you that you will see healthy competition and this country will grow for all of us.

“I am from Rivers, why can I not go to Sokoto to do my business there when I see myself as a Nigerian.

“It is because of the constitution and the laws that we have; you fill forms and you have to indicate your tribe.

“We should begin to remove that mentality and begin to think of Nigeria first,” he said.

He said the parliamentary system would help to check the issues of corruption as ministers would be part of the parliament and they would be accountable.

The lawmaker said the refusal of President Muhammdu Buhari to assent to the amended Electoral Amendment bill for the fourth time was another reason Nigeria should revert to the parliamentary system.

He explained that the amendment was made to move the electoral process forward but it was left by the president for almost a year before finally declining assent on the ground that it was too close to election.

“I am of the view that we should override the president and I have also spoken to some members about it,” he said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2019/01/02/moving-parliamentary-system-government-reps-member-chinda/

1 Like

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:38am On Jan 02, 2019

The lawmaker said the refusal of President Muhammdu Buhari to assent to the amended Electoral Amendment bill for the fourth time was another reason Nigeria should revert to the parliamentary system.

It is a good feeling to see you mumus are still wailing about this.

“I am of the view that we should override the president and I have also spoken to some members about it,” he said.

Na who born monkey?!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Immanuels7(m): 6:38am On Jan 02, 2019
hh
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Fakeme: 6:39am On Jan 02, 2019
Good one. But I feel that the problem of Nigeria is in our leaders. They are not trustworthy and therefore no no matter the system practised, little or no change will be felt.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by shachris02: 6:39am On Jan 02, 2019
post=74368237:
ok

honestly do you sleep on nairaland ?

15 Likes

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Lexusgs430: 6:39am On Jan 02, 2019
So we replace rogue senators with rogue Lords?

1 Like

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Caseless: 6:39am On Jan 02, 2019
I hate this guy! angry angry angry
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Nobody: 6:40am On Jan 02, 2019
Nigeria's political sphere needs to be dominated with 'policy arguments' and not some tribal argument sh!t

2 Likes

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by cocobuter: 6:41am On Jan 02, 2019
Our Data Prices Are So Cheap.

Instant Delivery, One Seconds Is Too Much.

MTN
DATA

1GB - N565

2GB - N1130

5GB - N2500 (3 months validity)

GLO DATA

1GB - 550

2GB - #900

4.5GB - #1700

7.2GB - #2000

8.25GB - #2400

12.5GB - #3300

15.6GB - #3700 (1month validity)

AIRTEL DATA

1.5GB - #970

3.5GB - #2100

5.5GB - #2600

9MOBILE DATA

1.5GB - #1050

3GB - #2100

4GB - #2650

5GB - #3150

10GB - #6600 (1month validity)

To check your data balance

MTN - *461*3#

GLO - *127*0#

AIRTEL - *140#

ETISALAT - *229*9#

MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9mobile Airtime of any amount*

OUR CONTACT DETAILS

CALL/SMS/WHATSAPP - 0 8 0 5 4 5 1 5 7 6 1

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by datola: 6:41am On Jan 02, 2019
Hmmm...
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by sammyj: 6:41am On Jan 02, 2019
How can corruption stop corruption coming corrupt set of people themselves . Hope there is no hidden agenda with this new form of system. Hopefully let wait and see how this turns out. Like for the new system of government and Share if you still prefer the current system!!

1 Like

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by engreddy(m): 6:42am On Jan 02, 2019
While you are at it, simply scrap the senate so we only have the House or reps.
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Ezeimo: 6:42am On Jan 02, 2019
I agreed
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Topmaike007(m): 6:42am On Jan 02, 2019
another means of packing money
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:42am On Jan 02, 2019
shachris02:

Why dont you start the New year by minding your business and find something to do with your life?
You did all these Aproko business throughout last year and gain nothing.
How will it help your life or family's life if they sleep on Nairaland or work there?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by gare(f): 6:42am On Jan 02, 2019
shachris02:

He does, no meat for him to sell or roast

2 Likes

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by IMASTEX: 6:42am On Jan 02, 2019
Fakeme:
Good one. But I feel that the problem of Nigeria is in our leaders. They are not trustworthy
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by braveboy64(m): 6:43am On Jan 02, 2019
but will it stop corruption
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Greyworld: 6:43am On Jan 02, 2019
I think that unicameral part got my interest
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by uyiekpenn(m): 6:44am On Jan 02, 2019
Even in a presidential system of government, the Executive, Legislative and the Judiciary can be on the same page. What anyone should be advocating for should the Independence of these tiers. Federal Government tends to intervene too much in the activities of these three tiers and in the process prohibits them from operating at their own pace.

1 Like

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by franchasng: 6:46am On Jan 02, 2019
2019, Nigerians brace up for a tough year ahead.

Things won't be funny economically.

Buhari will win by massive rigging, aided by Southwest political stupidity that will later hunt the average Yoruba man who will vote for Buhari just to spite Igbos and to form superiority because after election, they will realize that Buhari will not only be a bad President for Igbos alone but for all Nigerians and except you or your parents or siblings are closely in power, then you will be suffering the outcome of your foolishness in voting in a known failure just to spite some people and form superiority.

Meanwhile, I will love to set the records straight, I am supporting any other candidate except APC candidate, and the only reason I am supporting PDP's candidate Atiku is because PDP and Atiku are the only option that can help defeat Buhari and give Nigerians opportunity to start afresh and if Atiku wins and messes up, Nigerians will mercilessly deal with him, so I am not supporting Atiku because he is the best or because he picked Obi as VP, to hell with Obi and VP or Igbo producing Presidency anytime for all I care...I am against Buhari and APC because of their failure and brazen support and covering of corruption and nepotism and total collapse of security of lives and properties in Nigeria + the incessant killings of our dear brothers serving in Nigerian military in the name of a ghost religious-political fight created and being funded by some useless politicians and military top shots and backed by religious extremist fools angry angry

All I want and pray for is a better Nigeria governed by a reasonable, sensible, understanding, active, enlightened, proactive, listening President whether he comes from Hausa, Fulani, Igbo, Itsekiri, Ibibio, Ijaw, Yoruba, Bini I don't care, and if you have been following my comments here, I once decried Atiku's choice of VP, voicing my concern and desire for him to have picked VP from Southwest who love playing tribal and ethnic politics.

Atiku made a mistake, Igbos would have voted him massively even if he picked VP from Hausa tribe or Yoruba....he should have given Yorubas VP position since an average Yoruba man don't care about his future and that of his unborn kids but care so much of seeing a Yoruba man who don't care about him or his family being a President or VP, Atiku disappointed me in that aspect, and I only pray God help him do Nigerians Donald Trump in February 16 because Nigeria need a rescue from the hands of failed Buhari's clueless, directionless, visionless, planless leadership asap to avoid total collapse of Nigeria, it hurts badly angry angry

Only time will tell Nigerians how far, I weep for Nigeria ahead of the outcome of 16th February Presidential election cry

2 Likes

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by fiercehillz(m): 6:46am On Jan 02, 2019
No matter how your package thieves they will definitely still steal.
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by fasho01(m): 6:47am On Jan 02, 2019
Won't be a bad idea
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 02, 2019
post=74368237:

bbvb

Na who born monkey?!

So this guy na Aboki..

Na I know why ur way of thinking is skewed..
Last time I will ever take you serious

3 Likes

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by Quality20(m): 6:55am On Jan 02, 2019
Good idea, but would d senate support it, since it might herald d scraping of either d senate or d house of reps?

1 Like

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by FunctionX(m): 7:02am On Jan 02, 2019
Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by mrtegation99(m): 7:11am On Jan 02, 2019
Fakeme:
Good one. But I feel that the problem of Nigeria is in our leaders. They are not trustworthy

Sorry to say, THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE ARE THE PROBLEM OF THIS COUNTRY. THE PEOPLE CONSTITUTE THE NATION AND THEY CAN FIGHT AGAINST THE PEOPLE THEY ELECTED.

NIGERIANS DON'T JUST KNOW THEIR RIGHTS.
POLITICAL SHEEPLES. SMH cool

1 Like

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by naunasabi: 7:12am On Jan 02, 2019
shachris02:

30k is doing "wonders" in his life. grin

1 Like

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by MAYOWAAK: 7:21am On Jan 02, 2019
I have studied how many countries have made giant strides under all kinds of political conditions: dictatorship, democracy, quasi-democracy, mono-ethnicity, multi-ethnicity, unitary system, true federalism, fake federalism, parliamentarianism, presidentialism, state police, federal police and whatnot. There is just no alternative to competent and patriotic leadership. Non-negotiable.

4 Likes

Re: Why We’re Moving For Parliamentary System Of Government – Reps Member, Chinda by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:33am On Jan 02, 2019
post=74368237:

Na who born monkey?!
May providence lead your life the same way Buhari is leading this country.
Let me hear you say amen to that

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Kill Killers Of Ahmed Gulak, Arrest IPOB/ESN Terrorists, Recover Charms / Tinubu’s Campaign Denies Floating Empowerment Fund..... / Buhari To Inaugurate Onochie, Others As NDDC Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.