Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,515 members, 7,954,960 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:13 PM

My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr (5726 Views)

Honda Launches Nigerian Assembled HR-V SUV - Photos / Honda Launches First Unit Of HR-V Assembled In Nigeria - Photos / Watch The 2018 Range Rover Evoque Drive Over The World's Largest Speed Bump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 6:34pm On Jan 02, 2019
I travelled for the festivities.

My return journey on 1st January was looking good. Left Enugu for Abuja at past 620am and by 1015am ish I was at Lokoja...
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 6:35pm On Jan 02, 2019
Travelling on the 1st was a good idea. The road was free except for the men of the force doing the usual if you know what I mean...
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 6:38pm On Jan 02, 2019
When I hit Lokoja and made the final right turn to the Lokoja - Abuja express way, I wanted to have my best Enugu - Abuja travel time yet. It meant more speed. I was aiming at a 12:30pm arrival
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 6:40pm On Jan 02, 2019
I was doing about 140km/hr when my eye caught a reduce speed sign (it had a bridge sign on it). The road was clear, I had perfect visibility of the road. I was saying to myself what's with this sign.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 6:47pm On Jan 02, 2019
I couldn't spot anything in the distance so I continued, then suddenly it appeared; it was a Bump at the beginning section of a small bridge. It was too late, I slammed on the brakes but had to release just before impact and held the steering wheel firmly... Gboa gboam!!!!
It was a lot of impact. The car felt it, thank God my shocks were in good shape. My passenger who was sleeping jerked to life as if a bomb exploded grin

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 6:58pm On Jan 02, 2019
After the impact there wasn't any obvious damage. I continued driving and made it safely to Abuja.

This morning I started the car and noticed a noise that rises with engine speed from the serpentine belt area. I took off the belt and narrowed it down to a damaged power steering bearing. Spinning the PS pulley by hand there was some noise only when spun clockwise. No other pulley had any noise or abnormal movement. I also started the car without the serpentine belt to rule out the crankshaft bearing; no noise. Phew!

This means I will have to change the PS bearing. I had done that before when I rebuilt the pump some years ago. To be on the safe side, I will order a rebuild kit and replace the seals. This is to mitigate any risks of leaks after taking the pump apart.

My advice, if you are driving the Lokoja to Abuja road or any other just respect road signs even when you can't spot the danger. I have learnt.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by agabaI23(m): 7:03pm On Jan 02, 2019
Good read......
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by uboma(m): 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2019
@ Piyke,

Interesting read. What car is it?

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by cluewebhost(m): 7:43pm On Jan 02, 2019
Pictures nko

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by RZArecta2(m): 8:14pm On Jan 02, 2019
That is the problem with you Nigerians angry you want to fly without patronising our comatose airlines.. Is it good like that ? Please change in this 2019

9 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by mejai(m): 9:40pm On Jan 02, 2019
Speed kills.... Where were u rushing eh, nwa 042? Nno sha

7 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by weyreypey: 9:42pm On Jan 02, 2019
So you ignored a very obvious road sign?

And you still came to make a thread about it without any remorse?

I can only sum you up as an illiterate. You just went to school but got no education.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 10:09pm On Jan 02, 2019
uboma:
@ Piyke,

Interesting read. What car is it?

2003 Accord 4cyl. Sorry for omitting that detail.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 10:11pm On Jan 02, 2019
weyreypey:
So you ignored a very obvious road sign?

And you still came to make a thread about it without any remorse?

I can only sum you up as an illiterate. You just went to school but got no education.

Piyke:
After the impact there wasn't any obvious damage. I continued driving and made it safely to Abuja.

This morning I started the car and noticed a noise that rises with engine speed from the serpentine belt area. I took off the belt and narrowed it down to a damaged power steering bearing. Spinning the PS pulley by hand there was some noise only when spun clockwise. No other pulley had any noise or abnormal movement. I also started the car without the serpentine belt to rule out the crankshaft bearing; no noise. Phew!

This means I will have to change the PS bearing. I had done that before when I rebuilt the pump some years ago. To be on the safe side, I will order a rebuild kit and replace the seals. This is to mitigate any risks of leaks after taking the pump apart.

My advice, if you are driving the Lokoja to Abuja road or any other just respect road signs even when you can't spot the danger. I have learnt.

9 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 10:13pm On Jan 02, 2019
cluewebhost:
Pictures nko
None I'm afraid
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by sultaan(m): 11:54pm On Jan 02, 2019
Speed limit is 100 kmph, what is the worst thing that can happen at 140 kmph and protect yourself against it

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Blaksheep: 1:40am On Jan 03, 2019
Mtcheeew... just 140km/HR...
Me whey don nack 180km/hr for Benin by pass... anyway na for night.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by lilkech(m): 7:12am On Jan 03, 2019
Piyke:

2003 Accord 4cyl. Sorry for omitting that detail.

You’re lucky you didn’t make my kind of mistake by attempting to dodge the pothole.

I was once on a high speed ‘one way’ road going at 120kmph, ascended a hill, on the crest spotted the pothole in my lane, looked ahead and no oncoming traffic from the other lane, tried to dodge pothole by tilting steering just a tiny fraction and . . . BOOM! Car spun out 3 times flew into the bush.

Passenger was asleep during whole saga and only awoke when we’ve landed in the bush. I came out, kneeled beside the car and gave thanks to God for our lives while my passenger was still in the car looking around bewildered as to how he was seeing tarred smooth road a few winks ago but now surrounded by thick bush.

I called tow truck and they came, I told them I want to continue my journey but they laughed and said my car isn’t going anywhere lol. I entered and checked it out and the only damage I sustained were destroyed front and back bumper, a broken fan case and radiator (battery jumped out of it’s sitting and damaged them in the commotion), then the car stopped entering 5th gear from that day. They pulled the car out of the bush and I got the radiator sealed and continued my journey. The car was looking very unique for the rest of the journey that all police had to stop and me just to say sorry on behalf of federal government for their stupid road.

All of you carrying Toyota Matrix and Corolla forming Louis Hamilton ehn, better shine your eyes oh. This happened to me using 4 plugs EOD at 120kmph.

Since that year i NEVER exceed that speed on any road NO MATTER THE CONDITION OF THE ROAD. If you trust your car good, but be very wary trusting the road ahead of you on high speed.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:35am On Jan 03, 2019
.I slammed on the brakes but had to release just before impact and held the steering wheel firmly... Gboa gboam!!!!

Very smart driver, you saved your tyres, your rims and reduced impact on suspension parts.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 03, 2019
lil.kech:

You’re lucky you didn’t make my kind of mistake by attempting to dodge the pothole.

I was once on a high speed ‘one way’ road going at 120kmph, ascended a hill, on the crest spotted the pothole in my lane, looked ahead and no oncoming traffic from the other lane, tried to dodge pothole by tilting steering just a tiny fraction and . . . BOOM! Car spun out 3 times flew into the bush.

Passenger was asleep during whole saga and only awoke when we’ve landed in the bush. I came out, kneeled beside the car and gave thanks to God for our lives while my passenger was still in the car looking around bewildered as to how he was seeing tarred smooth road a few winks ago but now surrounded by thick bush.

I called tow truck and they came, I told them I want to continue my journey but they laughed and said my car isn’t going anywhere lol. I entered and checked it out and the only damage I sustained were destroyed front and back bumper, a broken fan case and radiator (battery jumped out of it’s sitting and damaged them in the commotion), then the car stopped entering 5th gear from that day. They pulled the car out of the bush and I got the radiator sealed and continued my journey. The car was looking very unique for the rest of the journey that all police had to stop and me just to say sorry on behalf of federal government for their stupid road.

All of you carrying Toyota Matrix and Corolla forming Louis Hamilton ehn, better shine your eyes oh. This happened to me using 4 plugs EOD at 120kmph.

Since that year i NEVER exceed that speed on any road NO MATTER THE CONDITION OF THE ROAD. If you trust your car good, but be very wary trusting the road ahead of you on high speed.

Wow, Thank God for your life and his protection over you.

I think it is always advisable to maintain moderate speed on Nigeria roads you don't use frequently.

Just because it is smooth doesn't mean it is smooth all the way.

Drive safe and be careful on the road.

Oya TheBigKendo come and see your brother ooooo.

Why do Honda Accord people always advice Corolla people.

Just leave Corolla nah. grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 10:23am On Jan 03, 2019
lilkech:

Thank God for the deliverance!
At speed it's just best to take the pot hole/bump than attempt to avoid especially if it appears late.

I like the part of not exceeding speed or trusting the road ahead of you. The only exception (with caution) I would say is for roads you are very familiar with. When I lived in Owerri and worked in Delta, I knew the Owerri - Onitsha express way like the back of my palm; I knew where every pot hole was, the good stretches and all.
Nevertheless caution is the thing. And strict obedience to road signs where available.
I guess the sign in my case would have made more sense if it read "BUMP AHEAD (200m)" or something more specific than the reduce speed on a straight road that you could see almost 3km or so

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by thebigkendo(m): 11:08am On Jan 03, 2019
lilkech:

TheCar:

Oya TheBig.Kendo come and see your brother ooooo.

Why do Honda Accord people always advice Corolla people.

Just leave Corolla nah. grin grin grin

Because Honda accord/civic has more safety features as standard over the regular 03-07 corolla which has side curtain airbags/ABS as options.

But for naija, due to Mexican influence.. How many toks cars get functional SRS systems self..

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 03, 2019
thebigkendo:

Because Honda accord/civic has more safety features as standard over the regular 03-07 corolla which has side curtain airbags/ABS as options.

But for naija, due to Mexican influence.. How many toks cars get functional SRS systems self..

Well since I don't use 03-07 Corolla and I don't drive Mexican or Arab abused toks I yam exempted technically. grin grin grin

Honda Accord people should always ensure to pass the right message whenever you're talking about Corolla. grin grin grin

Let Corolla people enjoy their ride without harassment. Abi Corolla be the reason Honda Accord leg dey pull for road ni. tongue tongue tongue

7 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by thebigkendo(m): 1:01pm On Jan 03, 2019
TheCar:

Well since I don't use 03-07 Corolla and I don't drive Mexican or Arab abused toks I yam exempted technically. grin grin grin

Honda Accord people should always ensure to pass the right message whenever you're talking about Corolla. grin grin grin

Let Corolla people enjoy their ride without harassment. Abi Corolla be the reason Honda Accord leg dey pull for road ni. tongue tongue tongue

Since we are doing technical exemption... My Honda accord leg neva pull too grin grin

I read somewhere say brand new (Toyota Nigeria/Elizade motor and co) corolla(bank type) up till 2007 models, Normal Driver airbag & passenger airbag na option self grin grin grin grin grin
I don't know if that has change with the newer models grin grin grin So bros check your none abuse Naija spec corolla well oh, before forming Louis Hamilton.. we love you on Nairaland

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jan 03, 2019
thebigkendo:

Since we are doing technical exemption... My Honda accord leg neva pull too grin grin

I read somewhere say brand new (Toyota Nigeria/Elizade motor and co) corolla(bank type) up till 2007 models, Normal Driver airbag & passenger airbag na option self grin grin grin grin grin
I don't know if that has change with the newer models grin grin grin So bros check your none abuse Naija spec corolla well oh, before forming Louis Hamilton.. we love you on Nairaland

Toyota sold by Toyota Nigeria Ltd (Elizade, Briscoe, Globe etc) compared to the same version produced abroad have VERY noticeable difference.

Functionality wise and Safety wise.

However, I don't do "Fast n Furious" on unfamiliar territories. If I am driving on unfamiliar territory, my speed limit is 80kmh no matter how smooth the road is, even familiar territory, I don't exceed 120kmh.

No matter the speed, I always maintained a certain degree of safety (safe distance) depending on the vehicle ahead of me.

It better to arrive late than be LATE. grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by thebigkendo(m): 2:14pm On Jan 03, 2019
TheCar:

Toyota sold by Toyota Nigeria Ltd (Elizade, Briscoe, Globe etc) compared to the same version produced abroad have VERY noticeable difference.

However, I don't do "Fast n Furious" on unfamiliar territories. If I am driving on unfamiliar territory, my speed limit is 80kmh no matter how smooth the road is, even familiar territory, I don't exceed 120kmh.
No matter the speed, I always maintained a certain degree of safety (safe distance) depending on the vehicle ahead of me.

Since I still plan to have a political career in future grin grin
I don't exceed 60km/h tongue tongue tongue before my political opponents will dig out my nairaland post

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 03, 2019
thebigkendo:

Since I still plans to have a political career in future grin grin
I don't exceed 60km/h tongue tongue tongue before my political opponents will dig out my nairaland post

We don't need "Go Slow" politicians in Nigeria.

Every other parts of the world are moving at a fast pace, Even America is complaining about Trump "Go Slow" strategy.

America is building wall, China just land on Lunar and Russia is increasing its Military intelligence.

Go Slow politicians are advised to move to America to join Trump. tongue tongue tongue
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by lilkech(m): 2:50pm On Jan 03, 2019
Piyke:

Thank God for the deliverance!
At speed it's just best to take the pot hole/bump than attempt to avoid especially if it appears late.

I like the part of not exceeding speed or trusting the road ahead of you. The only exception (with caution) I would say is for roads you are very familiar with. When I lived in Owerri and worked in Delta, I knew the Owerri - Onitsha express way like the back of my palm; I knew where every pot hole was, the good stretches and all.
Nevertheless caution is the thing. And strict obedience to road signs where available.
I guess the sign in my case would have made more sense if it read "BUMP AHEAD (200m)" or something more specific than the reduce speed on a straight road that you could see almost 3km or so

No be small tin. Now I drive without gear 5 (I’ve even forgotten what speed that final gear is supposed to kick in). Gazzuzz has said I should come and take big switch, I’m far away now so I don’t know what to do.

It’s like I will use one stone to kill two birds ... gazzuzz dashed us far away peeps freebies and conveniently let us know his oil in now available grin

He won’t waybill freebies so . . .
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:56pm On Jan 03, 2019
lilkech:

No be small tin. Now I drive without gear 5 (I’ve even forgotten what speed that final gear is supposed to kick in). Gazzuzz has said I should come and take big switch, I’m far away now so I don’t know what to do.

It’s like I will use one stone to kill two birds ... gazzuzz dashed us far away peeps freebies and conveniently let us know his oil in now available grin

He won’t waybill freebies so . . .

Car is manual drive? Pls scan let's fix the problem, seems like an easy fix.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:01pm On Jan 03, 2019
TheCar:

a man that refuses to take a little risk in his life is that one a man? undecided

5 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 03, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

a man that refuses to take a little risk in his life is that one a man? undecided

Fixed. grin grin grin
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by lilkech(m): 5:57pm On Jan 03, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Car is manual drive? Pls scan let's fix the problem, seems like an easy fix.

My Oga it’s an automatic o, for 3 years now it won’t enter 5th gear even when I’m on 120kph and revving at 3.5k RPM. I haven’t changed anything but an oil flush yet still same thing.

I’d scan tomorrow and revert. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Does The Brain Box Of A Toyota Corolla 2004 Model Cost / Potential Electrical Fire Prompts 1.1 Million Honda Accords Recall / Mercedes-benz Recalls 492,290 Cars For Accidental Deployment Of Airbag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.