Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,012 members, 7,821,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr (5571 Views)

Honda Launches Nigerian Assembled HR-V SUV - Photos / Honda Launches First Unit Of HR-V Assembled In Nigeria - Photos / Watch The 2018 Range Rover Evoque Drive Over The World's Largest Speed Bump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2019
TheCar:

https://www.nairaland.com/4942387/mercedes-g-wagon-flies-out-3-storey#74517859

If I am not mistaken, Mercedes Benz is German right?

So forget story, German don land on its head. grin grin grin

If German limits at 90
Japanese will at 70
Nobody say German doesn't somersault.

Besides we comparing sedans.
Suvs are different becos of their high centre of mass......especially Gwagon, horrible! Small turning, you almost tipping over. People driving it as a daily driver are trying sha.

If it doesn't handles, it can't be my daily.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by thebigkendo(m): 5:48pm On Jan 17, 2019
TheCar just saw your Diary Post.. It well man, Thank God for life... Funny how not long ago we were talking about Airbags and SRS systems.

Is you car fixable? How far your comprehensive insurance? Hope they are Cushioning the effect
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 17, 2019
thebigkendo:
TheCar just saw your Diary Post.. It well man, Thank God for life... Funny how not long ago we were talking about Airbags and SRS systems.

Is you car fixable? How far your comprehensive insurance? Hope they are Cushioning the effect

grin grin grin

Yeah, car is fixable and work don start sef already.

When they give me repair estimate close to a million naira, I kukuma call insurance and make claim.

They foot all the bills for repairs on both cars.

Although the third party wouldn't make heaven grin grin grin with the crazy bill he send for claim on my cover.

I just pity myself, make I dey prepare for increased premium next year. tongue tongue tongue

In other news, it's not easy following public bus in Lagos and I don't want to go bankrupt riding Uber grin grin
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 11:19pm On Jan 17, 2019
Meanwhile...I went to Gudu market to source the replacement bearing for my PS pump and funny enough the bearing seller said he got into this same bump 2 years ago at about the same speed.

We relived how well concealed the obstacle is and how it jumps at you at the last minute! There's a depression before the bump so the bump is actually at normal road height. He told me many vehicles have had accidents there. His encounter was with a highlander.

Placed a special order from Lagos as I didn't want the regular 6203-2rs chinese bearings around. I also learned from reveiws that the current (worn) bearing; Febest is known for early wear. So it may not be just this bump that "dagbarued" the bearing. BTW Febest is a German manufacturer.

I bought a Japanese brand this time with good reviews online. Its the Koyo brand. There was no NTN.

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2019
Update!

So I changed the PS pump bearing and installed the pump back. Steering was rock hard wink since it was night I just went to bed. Worse still, the noise didn't go angry

Next morning I decided to retrace my steps and found why the reason for the loss of power steering. I installed the cam ring upside down. I also didn't push back the cam ring hard enough against the outer ring as specified. These are steps 8 and 13 in the reassembly section of this post I did in 2016.
https://www.diyautoworksng.com/power-steering-pump-rebuild-2003-accord/

Maybe I should start a PS pump rebuild business cheesy
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 1:19pm On Jan 27, 2019
I also replaced the bearing on the automatic tensioner pulley since the one out of the PS pump is not faulty. The one in the tensioner was made in China, I felt replacing it with the German one will be better. Still after this the noise remained. angry
Latest plan is to replace water pump. Maybe its its bearing that is worn. Can't reach it well to spin. Anyways its still the one that came with the vehicle (>240k miles now) so it should be replaced anyways.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by connkg(m): 12:26pm On Jan 28, 2019
@Piyke
Well done! I'm optimistic you'll find the cause of the sound.
I also think you distanced yourself while driving and got to be alone too long. It's good to pick your speed group, remain in sight of faster car so to query decisions when you get to same spot.
Don't mind me, advisers dey plenty when team lose match. One Police check point can mess up all that.
Well done again!
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by nylawal(m): 10:22am On Feb 02, 2019
Hello everyone, can someone pls pm me Piyke's phone number I need to vacuum pump my Ac I'm Abuja this morning Asap, this heat is killing. I have been in contact with Mosbus who told me there's an Abuja based guy that offers this service.
Pls guys!
Thanks in advance
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by adanny01(m): 9:47am On Feb 03, 2019
rainmaker12:

Of course everything has its limits, but there a somethings that has a high limit to others, that's why I emphasised on the "fraction of a steering input". if its about that, a better car can handle it. That's all.

I don't know why people argue about jap and German cars. The simplest explanation is this.

Germans or British has more engineering
Japanese has less engineering

Which one is better depends on the application. German is better in their own way and jap in theirs. But from my explanation above, a German would perform better, and iv said why.

Let me analogize this for you.

You have N100million in your account, I have N100million in my account.

You buy a brand new Benz E class for N30million, I buy a brand new Honda Accord for N20million.

With regards to how much we both are worth, we are the same.

With regards to how expensive our cars are, you are better.

With regards to who has more in the bank, I am better.

Everybody wins at his preference.

German engineering cant be better than Japanese engineering neither are both better than Nigerian engineering. The onus boils down to preference.

German cars focus on the preference of luxury and performance while the Jap counterparts focus on economy and relaibility. Their paths do cross at some points but true comparison is only the one that takes into account the monetary value. The only way you can prove to me that german engineering is better is if you give me facts that dollar to dollar a German car always has more value than Jap mobile.

This generalization of german cars being better than Japanese cars makes me see shallow mindedness.

The main question is, is a 2019 Benz C class bought at N30m better than a 2019 Toyota Prius bought at same cost?

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 10:26am On Feb 03, 2019
nylawal:
Hello everyone, can someone pls pm me Piyke's phone number I need to vacuum pump my Ac I'm Abuja this morning Asap, this heat is killing. I have been in contact with Mosbus who told me there's an Abuja based guy that offers this service.
Pls guys!
Thanks in advance

Email seen. Will send you my number
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 5:19pm On Feb 10, 2019
adanny01:

Let me analogize this for you.

You have N100million in your account, I have N100million in my account.

You buy a brand new Benz E class for N30million, I buy a brand new Honda Accord for N20million.

With regards to how much we both are worth, we are the same.

With regards to how expensive our cars are, you are better.

With regards to who has more in the bank, I am better.

Everybody wins at his preference.

German engineering cant be better than Japanese engineering neither are both better than Nigerian engineering. The onus boils down to preference.

German cars focus on the preference of luxury and performance while the Jap counterparts focus on economy and relaibility. Their paths do cross at some points but true comparison is only the one that takes into account the monetary value. The only way you can prove to me that german engineering is better is if you give me facts that dollar to dollar a German car always has more value than Jap mobile.

This generalization of german cars being better than Japanese cars makes me see shallow mindedness.

The main question is, is a 2019 Benz C class bought at N30m better than a 2019 Toyota Prius bought at same cost?

Key words from what you said are

Performance vs reliability
Value vs value

Now the topic I commented was on performance and safety.

I paid 100m for a German car and it gives me performance and 'extra' safety features.

I paid 1m for a Japanese car and it gives me economy and durability.

Then a discussion about extra safety and performance comes up, which car gets the crown?

Another discussion about durability and economy comes up, which car gets the crown?

90% of the public knows German cars are not reliable. No dispute.

But now we talking about performance and safety.

100m German car made for performance is still better than 100m Japanese car made for performance also.

100m German car made for economy is going to be better than 100m Japanese car made for economy.

Since its about performance and reliability, both cars are king in their category. But if they swap, German will take all the glory.

Do you know why German cars are not reliable? Its not because they have inferior motor parts. Infact all the parts used on German cars are so solid compared to Japanese, I'm talking out of experience. The unreliability of German cars comes from the performance and luxury they offer because there's an extra 'mechanics' and 'sensor' into every part which assist the driver to attain that performance and luxury. From time to time these extra mechanics and sensor go bad often thereby ruining the general part. Its not like they have bad parts. Metal for metal, plastic for plastic, take out that extra, they are the best! And it is that extra you are paying for.

Take out any German car part....''without any extra''...that is simple and compare it with a similar Japanese car part, you will see the difference in build quality.

For now Germans are the best for perfomance and luxury, while Japanese are best for economy and durability. Monetary comparison is futile because you get what you pay for. Extra or no extra.

But overall based on build quality, go and ask a mechanic which is best.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by adanny01(m): 6:00pm On Feb 10, 2019
rainmaker12:

Key words from what you said are

Performance vs reliability
Value vs value

Now the topic I commented was on performance and safety.

I paid 100m for a German car and it gives me performance and 'extra' safety features.

I paid 1m for a Japanese car and it gives me economy and durability.

Then a discussion about extra safety and performance comes up, which car gets the crown?

Another discussion about durability and economy comes up, which car gets the crown?

90% of the public knows German cars are not reliable. No dispute.

But now we talking about performance and safety.

100m German car made for performance is still better than 100m Japanese car made for performance also.

100m German car made for economy is going to be better than 100m Japanese car made for economy.

Since its about performance and reliability, both cars are king in their category. But if they swap, German will take all the glory.

Do you know why German cars are not reliable? Its not because they have inferior motor parts. Infact all the parts used on German cars are so solid compared to Japanese, I'm talking out of experience. The unreliability of German cars comes from the performance and luxury they offer because there's an extra 'mechanics' and 'sensor' into every part which assist the driver to attain that performance and luxury. From time to time these extra mechanics and sensor go bad often thereby ruining the general part. Its not like they have bad parts. Metal for metal, plastic for plastic, take out that extra, they are the best! And it is that extra you are paying for.

Take out any German car part....''without any extra''...that is simple and compare it with a similar Japanese car part, you will see the difference in build quality.

For now Germans are the best for perfomance and luxury, while Japanese are best for economy and durability. Monetary comparison is futile because you get what you pay for. Extra or no extra.

But overall based on build quality, go and ask a mechanic which is best.

You didn't get my point.

My point is that, that basis of comparison is flawed.

Comparing Buhari to Atiku on the basis of how both will rule is also flawed but Buhari vs Jonathan isnt flawed. The basis of comparison where Buhari is a factor has to start with someone who has been a president. That's cause Buhari as well as Jonathan have been president of Nigeria while Atiku has not been.

The basis for comparison of Mama put rice and drumstick's rice is that they are both food made ready to eat. You now start comparing hygiene, taste, price, quantity etc

What is the of basis of comparing German car vs Japanese car? You have to find a common ground. Performance is not a common ground neither is reliability. A common ground can be their price.

Watching top gear episode some days ago, a Lexus LC500 was compared to Honda Civic Type R. What was the basis, both are sport cars.

I ask again, what is the basis of comparison between german cars and Japanese cars in general. If you say performance, you will start mentioning stability, acceleration, horse power etc but relaibility will not come it since performance is the basis. If you talk about reliability, we talk about parts, cost, maintenance etc.

If you say value, you can say performance, relaibility, design, safety etc
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 4:58pm On Mar 02, 2019
Piyke:
I also replaced the bearing on the automatic tensioner pulley since the one out of the PS pump is not faulty. The one in the tensioner was made in China, I felt replacing it with the German one will be better. Still after this the noise remained. angry
Latest plan is to replace water pump. Maybe its its bearing that is worn. Can't reach it well to spin. Anyways its still the one that came with the vehicle (>240k miles now) so it should be replaced anyways.

Finally sorted this out today! Yeeea!
Culprit was as suspected; worn water pump bearing. I fitted a genuine GMB (made in Japan) and voila, noise gone. Video will be going up on my YouTube channel.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 10:22am On Mar 06, 2019
Piyke:

Finally sorted this out today! Yeeea!
Culprit was as suspected; worn water pump bearing. I fitted a genuine GMB (made in Japan) and voila, noise gone. Video will be going up on my YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn33Cv2Qyco

Diagnosis video. Has the before and after sounds.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by bizzibodi(m): 12:55pm On Apr 01, 2019
God even show u a sign which u ignore,others don't see signs b/c stupid persons cover them with campaign posters.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Corvettes And Ferrari 360 / My Vboot Needs Help / Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.