Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,648 members, 7,955,357 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:54 PM

My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr (5728 Views)

Honda Launches Nigerian Assembled HR-V SUV - Photos / Honda Launches First Unit Of HR-V Assembled In Nigeria - Photos / Watch The 2018 Range Rover Evoque Drive Over The World's Largest Speed Bump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 03, 2019
Piyke:

2003 Accord 4cyl. Sorry for omitting that detail.
oops!sorry abiut it but a c class would have stopped before impact.talking from experience

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by mayor2013: 8:06pm On Jan 03, 2019
lilkech:

My Oga it’s an automatic o, for 3 years now it won’t enter 5th gear even when I’m on 120kph and revving at 3.5k RPM. I haven’t changed anything but an oil flush yet still same thing.

I’d scan tomorrow and revert. Thanks

What vehicle is this
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 9:35pm On Jan 03, 2019
lilkech:

You’re lucky you didn’t make my kind of mistake by attempting to dodge the pothole.

I was once on a high speed ‘one way’ road going at 120kmph, ascended a hill, on the crest spotted the pothole in my lane, looked ahead and no oncoming traffic from the other lane, tried to dodge pothole by tilting steering just a tiny fraction and . . . BOOM! Car spun out 3 times flew into the bush.

Passenger was asleep during whole saga and only awoke when we’ve landed in the bush. I came out, kneeled beside the car and gave thanks to God for our lives while my passenger was still in the car looking around bewildered as to how he was seeing tarred smooth road a few winks ago but now surrounded by thick bush.

I called tow truck and they came, I told them I want to continue my journey but they laughed and said my car isn’t going anywhere lol. I entered and checked it out and the only damage I sustained were destroyed front and back bumper, a broken fan case and radiator (battery jumped out of it’s sitting and damaged them in the commotion), then the car stopped entering 5th gear from that day. They pulled the car out of the bush and I got the radiator sealed and continued my journey. The car was looking very unique for the rest of the journey that all police had to stop and me just to say sorry on behalf of federal government for their stupid road.

All of you carrying Toyota Matrix and Corolla forming Louis Hamilton ehn, better shine your eyes oh. This happened to me using 4 plugs EOD at 120kmph.

Since that year i NEVER exceed that speed on any road NO MATTER THE CONDITION OF THE ROAD. If you trust your car good, but be very wary trusting the road ahead of you on high speed.

If na German, you for no sammersult. According to you just a fraction of steering. A Porsche will handle that and clean mouth. Na money dey yab man sha

9 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 9:42pm On Jan 03, 2019
thebigkendo:

Since I still plan to have a political career in future grin grin
I don't exceed 60km/h tongue tongue tongue before my political opponents will dig out my nairaland post
grin For the fact you said your opponent might dig it out, you have already speed pass 180kph.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 9:52pm On Jan 03, 2019
nwanneni:
oops!sorry abiut it but a c class would have stopped before impact.talking from experience
Oga every car has breaking distance. Do you know the distance he saw the bump? Even if na Lamborghini, if you pass your breaking distance, you go uproot the bump. The accord and your cclass has almost the same from 100kph which 130ft. Anything shorter, you are hitting that object bro, if you like use hydraulic press apply pressure..same same.

Since we dint know what distance he reacted, you car cclass can't be better. Except you have performance brakes with 8piston and carbon ceramics rotor, then I can give you hand. 100ft stopping distance grin......just 1 ft to impact is a major deal

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by sultaan(m): 11:42pm On Jan 03, 2019
130ft when your brake is sharp on a good road.On Nigeria give space for error
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 12:07am On Jan 04, 2019
sultaan:
130ft when your brake is sharp on a good road.On Nigeria give space for error
What are the qualities of a good road? In this context, it was a highway that was good enough for 140kph but bad for braking?...when its not raining or snowing.

Infact that so called Nigeria road is the best for braking. Ask me why?

Rough surface. Oyinbo own smooth our own rough which helps your abs performs better, in turn stopping you without a squid and also faster.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by lilkech(m): 12:36am On Jan 04, 2019
rainmaker12:

If na German, you for no sammersult. According to you just a fraction of steering. A Porsche will handle that and clean mouth. Na money dey yab man sha

Na me you tell this thing? angry

chai!! So that’s the cause of the accident

I refuse to believe it was German or Jap blah-blah ... seems money was ‘yabbin’ me that time undecided

gosh, the worst thing is that it’s still yabbin me till now cry
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by lilkech(m): 12:37am On Jan 04, 2019
mayor2013:

What vehicle is this

It’s a 2004 accord i4 automatic sir
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by sultaan(m): 2:42am On Jan 04, 2019
rainmaker12:

What are the qualities of a good road? In this context, it was a highway that was good enough for 140kph but bad for braking?...when its not raining or snowing.

Infact that so called Nigeria road is the best for braking. Ask me why?

Rough surface. Oyinbo own smooth our own rough which helps your abs performs better, in turn stopping you without a squid and also faster.

I consider the presence of any factor that might reduce friction and one of those is loose pebbles and dirt on the road most new cars stop at 120 feet from 100 kmph and the best is 90
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by mayor2013: 6:39am On Jan 04, 2019
lilkech:

It’s a 2004 accord i4 automatic sir

Might be a pressure switch. Run a scan
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:23am On Jan 04, 2019
lilkech
I was once on a high speed ‘one way’ road going at 120kmph, ascended a hill, on the crest spotted the pothole in my lane, looked ahead and no oncoming traffic from the other lane, tried to dodge pothole by tilting steering just a tiny fraction and . . . BOOM! Car spun out 3 times flew into the bush.

confirm rear struts were not leaking at time of this accident. Also was the ABS warning light on or off?
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by lilkech(m): 9:32am On Jan 04, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

confirm rear struts were not leaking at time of this accident. Also was the ABS warning light on or off?

Abs light was on, I don’t know if the struts are leaking, to be sincere I haven’t changed those struts since then. I didn’t even step on the brake pedal during that accident. There was absolutely no reaction time. I saw the pothole too late
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 10:38am On Jan 04, 2019
lilkech:

Na me you tell this thing? angry

chai!! So that’s the cause of the accident

I refuse to believe it was German or Jap blah-blah ... seems money was ‘yabbin’ me that time undecided

gosh, the worst thing is that it’s still yabbin me till now cry

Lol my brother how many safety feature dey accord? Especially those sophisticated traction control system with torque vectoring and rear wheel steering.....them plenty. In one of those with the "fraction of steering" input, the highest thing that could have happened is a slight under steer, and you will catch it up immediately when those system detects it, you no go even notice.

And if its worst, you gona drift, except you hit a major obstacle. High speed manuver somersault happens with cars having basic suspension.... cheap spring and shock grin Also the stance of the ride, aerodynamic, lowered, wider performs better.

Its advicable not to speed in them basic rides, cause na only airbag dey to save you. If you must speed, make sure you keep that steering straight, and be ready to think fast 'hit or avoid'. In some cases avoiding and somersaulting is better than a head-on collision.

But in your case, you for just go through that bump grin... though I don't know how large it was.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 10:43pm On Jan 04, 2019
nwanneni:

rainmaker12:

Oga every car has breaking distance. Do you know the distance he saw the bump? Even if na Lamborghini, if you pass your breaking distance, you go uproot the bump. The accord and your cclass has almost the same from 100kph which 130ft. Anything shorter, you are hitting that object bro, if you like use hydraulic press apply pressure..same same.

Since we dint know what distance he reacted, you car cclass can't be better. Except you have performance brakes with 8piston and carbon ceramics rotor, then I can give you hand. 100ft stopping distance grin......just 1 ft to impact is a major deal

Bless you for this comment.

This is beyond make. Given, some brands may have better braking and all but the fact remains that stopping when faced with an obstacle is a function of;

1. Thinking distance
2. Reaction distance
3. Braking distance
Other factors include condition of road, speed, effectiveness of braking system etc. Let's ignore these.

At 140kmph and less than 100ft if you factor in the 3 line items above even a c class will not stop.
Princess Diana died in an S class which at the time was the safest vehicle if memory serves me right. This is really not a question of Jap vs German. Everything has its limits.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 04, 2019
Piyke:

This is beyond make. Given, some brands may have better braking and all but the fact remains that stopping when faced with an obstacle is a function of;

1. Thinking distance
2. Reaction distance
3. Braking distance
Other factors include condition of road, speed, effectiveness of braking system etc. Let's ignore these.

At 140kmph and less than 100ft if you factor in the 3 line items above even a c class will not stop.
Princess Diana died in an S class which at the time was the safest vehicle if memory serves me right. This is really not a question of Jap vs German. Everything has its limits.
smooth.well explained
Thumbs up
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by legalwealth(m): 11:11pm On Jan 04, 2019
Blaksheep:
Mtcheeew... just 140km/HR...
Me whey don nack 180km/hr for Benin by pass... anyway na for night.

I once sped 180km/hr with Honda accord 2005 immediately I stepped on Abuja road about 2 years ago.

Mehn! It was like car was already flying for the say 10 minutes that I was on that speed.

It was first time on the road then though but I had the believe that there won't be any kind of bump on such road.

We thank God for OP's and the other man's life! !!

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by thebigkendo(m): 11:11pm On Jan 04, 2019
Piyke:

1. Thinking distance
2. Reaction distance
3. Braking distance

grin grin On nairaland it always about Japs vs others
Na so one guy wan kill hin benz engine... Dey carry 190Hp dey race Nissan car with either 280HP or 320HP engine because e dey drive "Benz" grin grin

C230 compressor that my 4 cylinder accord will give him a hard time self grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by legalwealth(m): 11:14pm On Jan 04, 2019
thebigkendo:

Na so one guy wan kill hin benz engine... Dey carry 190Hp dey race Nissan car with either 280HP or 320HP engine because e dey drive "Benz" grin grin

C230 compressor that my 4 cylinder accord will give him a hard time self grin grin grin

See as you dey useless German machine. grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jan 04, 2019
Piyke:
After the impact there wasn't any obvious damage. I continued driving and made it safely to Abuja.

This morning I started the car and noticed a noise that rises with engine speed from the serpentine belt area. I took off the belt and narrowed it down to a damaged power steering bearing. Spinning the PS pulley by hand there was some noise only when spun clockwise. No other pulley had any noise or abnormal movement. I also started the car without the serpentine belt to rule out the crankshaft bearing; no noise. Phew!

This means I will have to change the PS bearing. I had done that before when I rebuilt the pump some years ago. To be on the safe side, I will order a rebuild kit and replace the seals. This is to mitigate any risks of leaks after taking the pump apart.

My advice, if you are driving the Lokoja to Abuja road or any other just respect road signs even when you can't spot the danger. I have learnt.
You need a drink, where in Abuja are you let me buy you a drink?
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 12:01am On Jan 05, 2019
Piyke:

1. Thinking distance
2. Reaction distance
3. Braking distance

Of course everything has its limits, but there a somethings that has a high limit to others, that's why I emphasised on the "fraction of a steering input". if its about that, a better car can handle it. That's all.

I don't know why people argue about jap and German cars. The simplest explanation is this.

Germans or British has more engineering
Japanese has less engineering

Which one is better depends on the application. German is better in their own way and jap in theirs. But from my explanation above, a German would perform better, and iv said why.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 05, 2019
legalwealth:

I once sped 180km/hr with Honda accord 2005 immediately I stepped on Abuja road about 2 years ago.

Mehn! It was like car was already flying for the say 10 minutes that I was on that speed.

It was first time on the road then though but I had the believe that there won't be any kind of bump on such road.

We thank God for OP's and the other man's life! !!

TheBigKendo, you that is doing 60km/h on your Honda Accord, come and see 180km/h Louis Hamilton.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Piyke: 8:27am On Jan 05, 2019
Odirahc:

You need a drink, where in Abuja are you let me buy you a drink?

GAZZUZZ come and tell him my kind of drink cheesy
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 05, 2019
thebigkendo:

let's race then.hard time?your accord?
Everything for una na horsepower and 0-60 times undecided i tire for some of una o.
So you never hear of power to weight ratio before undecided
Shithole experts.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by weyreypey: 8:36am On Jan 05, 2019
TheCar:

TheBigKendo, you that is doing 60km/h on your Honda Accord, come and see 180km/h Louis Hamilton.
He know where he see money buy am.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by thebigkendo(m): 9:37am On Jan 05, 2019
nwanneni:
Everything for una na horsepower and 0-60 times undecided i tire for some of una o.
Shithole experts.

grin grin grin grin you don't know shit!!!

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:01am On Jan 05, 2019
thebigkendo:

grin grin grin grin you don't know shit!!!

as in at alll

3 Likes

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by legalwealth(m): 10:07am On Jan 05, 2019
TheCar:

grin grin grin
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by rainmaker12(m): 10:56am On Jan 05, 2019
nwanneni:
Shithole experts.

To me its a quarter mile. A car can be quicker to 60 but still loose in the long run. 0-60 3sec, 1/4 mile 13sec) 0-60 4sec, 1/4 mile 11sec)

With a difference of 100-150hp a good power to weight ratio is futile to a poor power to weight.
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Tyche(m): 4:19pm On Jan 05, 2019
RZArecta2:
That is the problem with you Nigerians angry you want to fly without patronising our comatose airlines.. Is it good like that ? Please change in this 2019

grin grin grin This got me mehn grin grin grin
Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jan 05, 2019
RZArecta2:
That is the problem with you Nigerians angry you want to fly without patronising our comatose airlines.. Is it good like that ? Please change in this 2019
lmao.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Bump At 140km/hr by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 07, 2019
rainmaker12:

https://www.nairaland.com/4942387/mercedes-g-wagon-flies-out-3-storey#74517859

If I am not mistaken, Mercedes Benz is German right?

So forget story, German don land on its head. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Most Fuel Efficient Cars – Best Fuel Mileage Cars 2013 / C / Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.