Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,113 members, 7,818,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students (13083 Views)

What Is The Usefulness Of NANS And NAUS? / The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students / Count Us Out Of NANS’ Planned Activities In Ekiti ―EKSU SUG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Ubiudumo(m): 8:01pm On Jan 03, 2019
The very lot Buhari would want to associate with
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by timsucess(m): 8:09pm On Jan 03, 2019
chieyine:

We are not talking about part students part graduates.
Members of NANS should be full time students

Most I know are full time students
Am a comrade
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by ozo13(m): 8:17pm On Jan 03, 2019
chieyine:

NOPE
This is everybody's problem and not just buhari.
Everyone has a relative in the university.

Pls @mynd44 lalasticlala,
I will appreciate it if this makes front page
its possible most of them r post graduate student.I use to hv same thinking too until I viewed it from another perspective .
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Horizona001(m): 8:20pm On Jan 03, 2019
If this report is true, I call on Nigerian Students to kick against this mess. NANS are just for their pocket. ASUU on strike and nothing is been done to address the Nigerian Students.
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 03, 2019
This is serious...
Non-students representing students...
Anything in 9ja is both possible and simple
Mkpo ke politics cry
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Abuskid: 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2019
NANS=ASUU mathematically proven
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by spacks(m): 8:35pm On Jan 03, 2019
To me nans is synonymous to cultism tongue if you know u know

3 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:42pm On Jan 03, 2019
this issue of nans sha bt these days even sug in schools are worse than nans so why shd expect nans to be different the days of student unionism has been bastardized with politics for d highest bidder incidentally sm of dis rogues ll find duer way to leadership positions tomoro wee is d redemption then...
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by newproject(m): 8:50pm On Jan 03, 2019
Nigeria jaga Jaga
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by menuBar(m): 8:59pm On Jan 03, 2019
Sir,in my own opinion you can sponsor a law suit against NANS.You will be making a name for being the first to identify this problem and the courts will then decide.
chieyine:
NANS as we all know means National Association of Nigerian Students and according to Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary, A student is a person who is studying at a university or other place of higher education.
As such, we expect NANS leadership to come from students currently studying but what we have are people who delay going for the compulsory National Youth Service to as much as 5years in order to occupy NANS leadership position and as such preventing current students from occupying such positions
"According to NANS charter of demand, for undergraduates, you are a student until you go for your NYSC" but according to general meaning of students, their definition is as faulty as can be imagined.
I was shocked when I heard NANS writing to the Federal Government to be part of the negotiation between The FG and ASUU and I had to scrutinize the leadership of NANS.
It was shocking that all Major Exco in NANS are not students but one is tempted to ask

1. Why are all the excos of NANS not students still in school?
2. Since this people are not students, who gave non students the authority to speak for students?
3. Can a labourer negotiate wages for a banker? Why are they negotiating with the government?
4. I haven't read anywhere of NANS leadership meeting with ASUU to chart a way forward concerning the strike but they are more interested in meeting the FG. Is the purported meeting for students or for themselves
5. They claim to fight for students but the last time I heard about NANS standing on their feet and making their demands known was during the military regime. But this current crop, adorn their cars with NANS plate number.
One is left perplexed trying to decipher the source of livelihood of graduated students who have neither gone for NYSC nor are working.
I am a member of University of Nigeria Medical Students Association(UNMSA) and we have our National body called Nigeria Medical Students Association(NiMSA) and the members of these associations are strictly students who are still in school and does not include those who are looking for placement for their housemanship, you cannot go for NYSC without doing your housemanship.

Then why is that of NANS different?

I plead with President Buhari that this current crop of NANS do not represent The Nigerian Students and as such shouldn't be negotiated with or called to the Negotiation table.
And if our cars should get spoilt and we take it to the mechanic workshop, we do not negotiate with the apprentice without the Express approval of the main mechanic.
The FG should go back to the meeting table with ASUU and iron out their differences.

Chieyine Nelson
500 level Med/Surg
University of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Timblaze(m): 9:19pm On Jan 03, 2019
LibertyRep:
Great piece OP.

NANS should therefore counter this piece by releasing the list of their excos alongside their universities of study.

Anything short of that, they are guilty as alleged and should not be granted audience by any serious government, especially the one that abhors corruption.
am in support of this...�
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Ranchhoddas: 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2019
All these yeye associations that are formed in school and out of. Their goal is to 'chop' money and nothing more.
That was how they said I was a member of PANS against my will. Forcing me to pay dues every year.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 03, 2019
Drey2026:
Indeed I'm happy with this, some voices unheard can be heard now.
I sincerely think that it's not right. Why should non students be governing the affairs of the students.
They wouldn't know and care about what is going on in schools, but tend to represent us just to benefit to their pockets.

Lol.. Don't be in a hurry to be amazed tho.. Dude has spoken well, no doubt. But don't be surprised if it all starts and ends on Nairaland..
He should have created a thread on Twitter actually and tagged all the persons of interest.
Everyone on this thread including the 53 people (as of now) that liked his post could also go create a hashtag for the thread to trend.. Then and only then can these voices actually be heard

3 Likes

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by somiblaze(m): 11:33pm On Jan 03, 2019
I beg to differ a little in this case, most ppl u call non students are actually post graduate students. NANS actually includes post graduate students and basically more of the ppl vying for position are post graduate students.
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by sacx: 11:44pm On Jan 03, 2019
Some of them deliberately spill over just so they can contest
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Antoeni(m): 11:54pm On Jan 03, 2019
NANS Has Long Time Ago Become the Youth Wing of The PDP
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by EmperorShizzy: 12:08am On Jan 04, 2019
Seun Mynd44 Lalasticlala,Why was this informative thread removed from the homepage, Nairaland as a forum serves as a proponent for Nigerians to air their opinions to make injustice and evil practices known, Are you guys dancing to the tune of some people or what

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Adeshola504: 1:15am On Jan 04, 2019
OP should start a hashtag on Twitter biko
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by gwinaB(m): 3:31am On Jan 04, 2019
ozo13:
its possible most of them r post graduate student.I use to hv same thinking too until I viewed it from another perspective .

Why will PG students be members of NANS?
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by chieyine(m): 5:32am On Jan 04, 2019
Adeshola504:
OP should start a hashtag on Twitter biko
Will do that Sir.
I dont really have followers on twitter.
Can you please drop your handle on Twitter so that I will tag you
somiblaze:
I beg to differ a little in this case, most ppl u call non students are actually post graduate students. NANS actually includes post graduate students and basically more of the ppl vying for position are post graduate students.
I know people in nans who arent PG students
NuhRegular:

Lol.. Don't be in a hurry to be amazed tho.. Dude has spoken well, no doubt. But don't be surprised if it all starts and ends on Nairaland..
He should have created a thread on Twitter actually and tagged all the persons of interest.
Everyone on this thread including the 53 people (as of now) that liked his post could also go create a hashtag for the thread to trend.. Then and only then can these voices actually be heard
One cant decipher the over 70people that liked my post.
I have few followers on Twitter.
Can you please drop your handle on Twitter so that I will tag you
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Sman37(m): 7:26am On Jan 04, 2019
chieyine:
NANS as we all know means National Association of Nigerian Students and according to Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary, A student is a person who is studying at a university or other place of higher education.
As such, we expect NANS leadership to come from students currently studying but what we have are people who delay going for the compulsory National Youth Service to as much as 5years in order to occupy NANS leadership position and as such preventing current students from occupying such positions
"According to NANS charter of demand, for undergraduates, you are a student until you go for your NYSC" but according to general meaning of students, their definition is as faulty as can be imagined.
I was shocked when I heard NANS writing to the Federal Government to be part of the negotiation between The FG and ASUU and I had to scrutinize the leadership of NANS.
It was shocking that all Major Exco in NANS are not students but one is tempted to ask

1. Why are all the excos of NANS not students still in school?
2. Since this people are not students, who gave non students the authority to speak for students?
3. Can a labourer negotiate wages for a banker? Why are they negotiating with the government?
4. I haven't read anywhere of NANS leadership meeting with ASUU to chart a way forward concerning the strike but they are more interested in meeting the FG. Is the purported meeting for students or for themselves
5. They claim to fight for students but the last time I heard about NANS standing on their feet and making their demands known was during the military regime. But this current crop, adorn their cars with NANS plate number.
One is left perplexed trying to decipher the source of livelihood of graduated students who have neither gone for NYSC nor are working.
I am a member of University of Nigeria Medical Students Association(UNMSA) and we have our National body called Nigeria Medical Students Association(NiMSA) and the members of these associations are strictly students who are still in school and does not include those who are looking for placement for their housemanship, you cannot go for NYSC without doing your housemanship.

Then why is that of NANS different?

I plead with President Buhari that this current crop of NANS do not represent The Nigerian Students and as such shouldn't be negotiated with or called to the Negotiation table.
And if our cars should get spoilt and we take it to the mechanic workshop, we do not negotiate with the apprentice without the Express approval of the main mechanic.
The FG should go back to the meeting table with ASUU and iron out their differences.

Chieyine Nelson
500 level Med/Surg
University of Nigeria
The problem is well identified but how can we dissolve it and make it students in school for students in school NANS!
We must do something as a students and it should be done now as a patriotism of Nigerian students!
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by jefdr001: 8:09am On Jan 04, 2019
Well since Nigerian old men have learnt to remain in power, Nigerian youths have learnt to remain as students till they are old.
Imagine a dude finished chemistry, re applied for another course after 5years and currently taking his time to finish the degree.
Dude is a member of nans even if he's in his 50s.
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by ozo13(m): 8:27am On Jan 04, 2019
gwinaB:

Why will PG students be members of NANS?
na their constitution u go ask that one o.

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by biosystech: 9:43am On Jan 04, 2019
GreatestA1:
I have a former NANS President on Facebook. Dude is in his early thirties with pot belle, owns a car and is married with grown up kids with no known source of income.
Jude Imagwe bah? grin
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by Reinah(f): 11:51am On Jan 04, 2019
I wouldn't doubt this article.. I recall about two years back when these NANS guys from my state chapter held a meeting in my school, they didn't look one bit like students and their grammar was just so bad that I wondered how they got to head the association.

Sadly, there is little or nothing to be done, this is Nigeria cry
Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by MannaFromHeaven(m): 12:51pm On Jan 04, 2019
See the kin motor NANS members they use!! They are just there using the student body to make money.

Re: The Illegality Of NANS And Why They Don't Speak For Nigerian Students by angiography(m): 2:15pm On Jan 04, 2019
loool...what's NANS

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG To Sack Unqualified Teachers In Dec. 2019 / Ngige: I Won’t Give ASUU Opportunity To Go On Strike Again / Universities In Benin Republic Aspirants Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.