Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,899 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:46 PM

Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! (32396 Views)

5 Nigerian Superstitions And Beliefs That Will Kill You Before Your Time / Funny Superstitious Beliefs Of Nigerians About Animals / Silly Beliefs That You Know Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Audukaya: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2012
My own is that if you buy shoe 4 ur girlfriend u will not marry her try and see.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2012
dademola:
u for don somersault reach hellfire b4 u go fit dress ha up na grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
jst dress up d woman immediately aftr sex. Try it, it wrks lyk death.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 25, 2012
>If pepper enters your eyes, just sprinkle water on ur feet or lick salt..It'll get cleared instantly and open..dis has worked for me all d time. I just can't seem to get these myths. Maybe there's more to it.
>if you're pregnant, always hook a safety pin to ur cloth(ur belly area), u hook it from d inside..To prevent d evil children flying around to possess ur unborn child.
>Also if you're pregnant, once its 1.00pm and you're out just go back home, or if your house is nowhere near, just go look for anywhere to sit and wait..so far a roof is over your head, and you shouldn't go out again until its 1.30. Cos dats d time d ogbanje children or whatever evil children of any sorts comes out and do their 'operation'..they may fly into ur belly and possess ur unborn child. Don't know how true it is sha oh.

Beht i'm so feeling this thread.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by condralbede(m): 5:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
cheddarking:

When you see a bunch of Herons flying about, start singing "Leke Leke, Gbamileke" and white spots will appear on your fingers.

confirmed.....i have like five of such white spots on my fingers,evn at this point..as a result of ''leke leke,Gbamileke child's play!
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 25, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: If u sleep wt a woman with thunderbolt (magun), make sure u help her dress up back so that d thunderbolt ll not affect u.
hahahahaha *i laff in Efik*. Abeg, dont near a woman with magun, for your life.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by bisiswag(f): 6:28pm On Sep 25, 2012
How about if u female and a lizard passes across ur open wide legs,u are pregnant. Oh,how me n my clique of friends used to be so scared of lizards back den' lol
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by RocksQueen: 6:51pm On Sep 25, 2012
1) If you hear a loud clap of thunder, put ur lips together and suck in air forcefully such that it makes a sound just like thunder.
This is so that 'thunder no go faya you by mistake' cheesy

(I know its not likely true but as a force of habit, I still do it till now).

2) Don't walk across water that looks like someone just poured it on the ground cos if it has pepper, your womanliness will pepper you.

3) A man should not walk under a clothesline where a women's underclothes are spread,or bath using a woman's bathing bucket, or allow a woman seeing her period to cross his legs!It is an abomination that changes men to woman wrapper. Meanwhile water from a man's bathing bucket can be used to cook or even fetch drinking water. undecided

4) Do not sweep the dirt from a room at night as u could sweep away blessings.

5) If someone 'chuks' u with broom, the person MUST 'chuk' the pointed end of the broom on the ground three times for reasons I never got to know!

6) If u thot you heard your name and u answered only to find out that no one called you, go to the nearest person,ask the person to call ur name, answer then u can go in peace if not devil has just called ur name and you can die!
(I still do this too just for the heck of it!)

7) If u break a palm kernel and find two nuts inside, u will born twins.

cool If you wear your clothes backwards its a sign of goodluck.

9) If u see a masquerade when pregnant, you will give birth to a monster.

10) If u walk backwards at night, an evil spirit will slap you and ur face will remain in the direction of the slap permanently.

I could go on and on and on smiley
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 25, 2012
~Opening an umbrella in the house >>u might not get married

~Sweeping at night >> means you're sweeping away good luck

~Turned over shoes/slipper >>> death on your parents

~Needles/Blades R not sold at night at All >>connected to witchcraft

~Pregnant women walking alone at night should hold on to a stone/pebble/penknife ,lol >>prevent evil spirits from harmin baby

~If u hit/trip your right foot on your way visiting someone >> good luck

~If u hit/trip your left foot on your way visiting someone >> person might not b there/badluck

~If your eye twitches >>your about to see someone u avent seen in a long while

~If your right palm itches >> your about to get some money that stays

~If your left palm itches >>your about to get money But will be spent as soon as u get it {the itchy palm one i actually believe in,it always happens for me mayb mind over matter, but everytime my hand itches am bound to get some money }

~If your palm itches,rub it on your forehead in a circular motion for the money to come faster,lol

~Always say "Touch wood"/actually touch soomething made of wood if u ever say/think somethink negative that hasnt happened to u /anyone u know >>avoid ill luck

~Never Put Your bag on the floor >> You'll be broke
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
Lolz, childhood is truly a momentous period in the life of human, lovely smiley
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Dteflondon1(m): 7:58pm On Sep 25, 2012
horlarkunle: if someone fights nd bites u, if you put chicken shit,all his teeth will fall off! LMAO!

Lol.I tried this on several occassions and It neva worked
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Royalty1(m): 8:06pm On Sep 25, 2012
[b][/b]
[color=#990000:
NAIRALANDAKPU] You are on your own o! I hope you live to come and tell us what you saw or not see!!! The kind digbe wey you go receive for nyash no go get mate gringringringringringringringringringrin

Oh Boy, you bad o! shocked
Na boarding school you go?
'Digbe' na terrible punishment o! grin
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by deluckiest(m): 8:11pm On Sep 25, 2012
Never step on salt on the law, reason: there will be serious quarell that might not be settled quickly. So I heard.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by deluckiest(m): 8:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
Never step on salt on the floor reason: there will be serious quarell that might not be settled quickly. So I heard.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by realmscape: 8:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
Garri_is_back: angry angry angry
looks creative....but you looks stewpid sha o
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Shalome(m): 9:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
anitank: If u're purging, take a drop of saliva with ur thumb and rub on ur navel, it will stop.
Has worked for me several times
works always
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by eldagaius(m): 9:30pm On Sep 25, 2012
Breastfeeding baby without putting on bangles on both hands makes your hair to start falling off.

Keeping something with your left hand will make it difficult to find when you are in need of it.

Selling on credit to the first customer of the day will make most customers buy on credit for that day.

Going to work late on Monday will make you go late to work throughout the week.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Kslib(m): 9:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
horlarkunle: if someone fights nd bites u, if you put chicken shit,all his teeth will fall off! LMAO!
We tried this on my friend's grandpa who was already toothless,and his tounge fell out...we were more than shocked...
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by stpat1(m): 9:45pm On Sep 25, 2012

you wont kill me with laugh grin grin
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 25, 2012
You must not eat mango after you finish drinking gaeei or else u'll v running stomach for d rest of that day.
You must not leave your shoe or slippers upside down, it brings bad luck.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:01pm On Sep 25, 2012
nyere84: hahahahaha *i laff in Efik*. Abeg, dont near a woman with magun, for your life.
na lie. Havent u hrd of 'take it away' (ka kuro). A guy hs used it 2 shagg plenty magun women & he's still bouncing & erecting... FMJ!

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Rick9(m): 11:07pm On Sep 25, 2012
Garri_Nation:
many things happen. Mehn.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by aniflexy(m): 11:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
If somebody ıs comıng derectly to you and you want to hıde from the person just put your fınger cross and the person wıll pass you wıthout seeıng you hahahahha ı dnt know ıf ıt work but ı dıd ıt most tıme as a chıld.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
Toks2008: What many people don't realize is that faith is the driving force behind any form of belief.

If you have faith in your TV and you hold the tv in the morning and believe that if you kiss the screen 7 times, you will get good fortune that day and you believe so much in that,you will surely meet good fortune that day.

The bible says all things are possible to he that believe.Mark 9:23

The question is "Who do you hinge your believe on? Who is is the source of your faith"?

Jehovah or the devil?
Ask okija juju
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by GARRIWARLORD(m): 11:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
The garri community are happy for making them proud.. Our engineers are currently working or more sophisticated bar charts..so pls bear with us.. We will also be releasing an animated documentry on the price of garri and other pressing issues on garri...

1 Like

Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by sureboy1: 12:15am On Sep 26, 2012
All this are part of african philosophy....a. It was said that African philosohy is about 'sagacity'(i.e wisdom)....
Aposteori knowledge says knowledge comes from outside of the mind through sensory experience &

Posteori knowledge says knowledge exists in the mind, & it is logically sorted. For instance a teacher asks you question to lead you to a logical conclusion...

So are taboo e.g
it is a taboo for a pregnant woman to stand at the entrance to a door when it is raining....This is just to protect her & the pregnancy from danger of stampede by people running into the house fromrain.

A woman is not allowed to sit on the mortal....also this is to enforce standard of hygene....maybe 'cos she may 'fart' lol...
Likewise some of the other superstitions you all mentioned.
QED
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 26, 2012

I hope you got banned angry angry angry
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Garriisback: 1:11am On Sep 26, 2012
^ angry
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by ROCKJ1(m): 5:47am On Sep 26, 2012
If you are lieing down and a wall geko crosses the ceiling over where u are lieing down, your breath will seize for 3seconds.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by ikoha: 6:13am On Sep 26, 2012
methodman: Funny but i dont believe in all dis stuffs. i heard if someone shud go to the market and den bends down to look in between his/her legs....Na different kind of Ghosts and evil spirits person go deh see. I think i will try dis out soon sef. Lol

you wont be alive to tell what you will see.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by BluStreak(m): 7:20am On Sep 26, 2012
Some of these myths/superstitions did work. The sore throat remedy works like a charm so also is that of hiccup. How would u explain the Chinese acupuncture? A process of sticking series of needles on parts of the human body to cure ailments? The problem we Africans have is "Not believing in ourselves". Probably because our ancestors/generations-past could not come up with some bamboozing theories to support some of these proven & time tested believes, we are terming them ignorance and stupidity. The white spot on the nail thingy never failed. I was a very inquisitive child growing up. During my secondary school, armed with the new found knowledge is science, I set out to unravel some of these believes that did infact work. I wanted to know why they work even with no scientific proof. The first in line was the Dolphin & white spot on the nail. I re-enacted the process that causes a white spot on the finger nails without a dolphin in sight. Result: No white spot. But when I did same with a dolphin in sight at other time, bingo: white spot on the nail. Findings: It actually does work but only God can prove why because I couldn't find any connection.

I also tested the sore throat own. I had to spit into the space between the door & its frame. Two days later sore throat was getting worse. But when I obeyed the law of spitting into a crack on the wall 3 times, same day, relief came culminating to a cure. Result: Proven. I still practice that till date.

Another myth that works is, if you are running or riding your bike (then it used to be Chopper), and an insect flies into ur eyes, quickly look back 3 times in quick succession without closing your eyes and the insect will be gone. It works even till date. At some point I concluded it was the wind current relative to your speed that blows the insect off.

The tying on 2 grasses to ward off being scolded worked for me as a child. That's when you over stayed outside oº°˚ either at play or running errands. Just do it before you get home and mention the person involved. Whether an uncle oº°˚, aunt oº°˚, mum or dad. It does work. I don't know about committing at home and running out to go and tire 2 leaves together.

So I will say, instead of making mockery of our ancestors with some of the remedies handed to us, we should use the new found knowledge in science etc to look into them. Who knows, the cure for AIDS might lie within.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by emmykul1809: 8:38am On Sep 26, 2012
If u wink someone suffering 4rm apolo, u wil contact it. It works.
Re: Superstitious Beliefs That Actually Works! by Kehnyshavin: 9:44am On Sep 26, 2012
dnt write urname wit red biro and /or pen as it could lead to death(iStill believe dat one)
dnt fetch water at 9te as even spirits can push u inside d well
if u hit ur left leg on a stone,badluck dey wait 4u but if na ur right leg then gudluck(not joLANTERN) dey wait 4u
if ur biscuit fall to d ground,devil has kissed it
if u open ur mouth 4 a long time,flies would enta

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

One Thing You Always Manage To Buy No Matter How Broke You Are? / Village Snakes / How Old Are You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.