Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,022 members, 7,821,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? (736 Views)

Be Honest How Are You ? / Professor Helped His Male Student Carry His Baby During Classes (photos) / You Remember Short Hand From Business Studies? How Has It Helped You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by Mizk(f): 10:54am On Jan 10, 2019
During the xmas and new year period i came across alot of people, mostly commercial motorcyclists, taxi and keke drivers, Returning from school and going to my hometown, i managed to have small talks with alot of them and i realized most of them are graduates of popular Nigerian higher institutions doing one menial job or another, its disheartening to find a graduate doing such jobs and i fear for myself, many people have told me that i am better off learning useful skills than relying on my certificate, some said they went to school just to get the paper, who school epp?

Is it true? Did your education help you secure a job? Or your skills are your source of livelihood?
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by JasonScoolari: 11:00am On Jan 10, 2019
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 11:28am On Jan 10, 2019
After i finish school i have NO INTENTIONS to go about looking for a Job, i already have Ideas, and luckily for me(with the analysis ive done) those ideas dont need the "Tens of millions" to get executed!!
But my worry is will Nigerians tame their love for foreign products and use local made ones
They complain that there are "No Jobs" but they prefer to patronize foreign products instead of home made ones
God help us!!!
Lalasticalala mynd44 this thread deserves FP
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 1:02pm On Jan 10, 2019
ive not finished school yet and i will still find my cert. Usefull in the long run
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by Mizk(f): 1:10pm On Jan 10, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:
ive not finished school yet and i will still find my cert. Usefull in the long run
How is that? Is there a job waiting for you?
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 1:15pm On Jan 10, 2019
Mizk:
How is that? Is there a job waiting for you?
Nope, i dont, but as i said b4 I plan to start up a biz and that biz is in line with my course of study...
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by Mizk(f): 1:20pm On Jan 10, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:
Nope, i dont, but as i said b4 I plan to start up a biz and that biz is in line with my course of study...
Thats not your cert na, thats knowledge and skill, self employed stuff.
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by Mizk(f): 2:57pm On Jan 10, 2019
Resener19:

Certificate may not get you the job you want. For example now, i studied mechanical engineering and now I’m a travel agent

Check my signature
So many travelling agencies around scamming people, how am i sure you're different?
Re: Be Honest, How Has Your Nigerian Degree Helped You Secure A Job? by Kirinwa: 4:34am On Mar 18, 2019
Mizk:
During the xmas and new year period i came across alot of people, mostly commercial motorcyclists, taxi and keke drivers, Returning from school and going to my hometown, i managed to have small talks with alot of them and i realized most of them are graduates of popular Nigerian higher institutions doing one menial job or another, its disheartening to find a graduate doing such jobs and i fear for myself, many people have told me that i am better off learning useful skills than relying on my certificate, some said they went to school just to get the paper, who school epp?

Is it true? Did your education help you secure a job? Or your skills are your source of livelihood?

Babe to be honest with you. This issue boils down to lack of direction, opportunities and purpose. School is important. It makes you enlightened and exposed to different ideas and concepts and broadens one's horizon. You can contribute meaningfully in public discussions.

Let me break it down further. Lack of direction is inability of the child to be properly guided in career choice by parents and guidance counselors. For example a child who does well in sciences than arts may well choose a science course but again you need to understand that the child also has a say and should not just impose any course on him/her. Many children are living the lives their parents failed to achieve. A father may have failed to study medicine and surgery and vow that the child must study medicine. The child may succeed in studying medicine and that is where it ends. He enters into business or another endeavor. In other cases, the child may not be that lucky and bag a load of carryovers and finally quit school or graduate with a third class.

Lack of opportunities entails that the course in question may be saturated as many people are already in that field with no more chance. Such courses like biochemistry, anatomy, physiology unless you wish to convert it to nursing OYO may be your case as they are not relevant in seeking a job. In Nigeria too, its a case of man know man unless in cases where God intervened and wrought a miracle.

Lack of purpose in not knowing what one wants in life is also a contributory factor.

(1) (Reply)

Investment Banking Education, Training And Certification / No 1 Ican Tution Center With Highest Ican Exam Pass Rate At One Sitting / World Water Day 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.