Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,951 members, 7,814,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? (3400 Views)

Indigenous Hausa Christians Of Kano Mark Christmas / The Covenant Of Prophet Muhammad With The Christians Of Sinai / The Forgotten Christians Of Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 6:04pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

I don't need you to validate my points: not at all. I don't need to validate God's existence. It is you who need to validate God's non-existence. Morality and Righteousness is relative. The point is , relative to what standard is Righteousness?

Athiesm is a kind of faith! Where the Creator God is replaced with Self or self worship. Before you start screaming, do you have evidence that God doesn't exist? If you do, bring it out! ;Then athiesm would not be a religion if you can prove it.

Yes you do have a doctrine! Disbelieve in the existence of God/God's. Like ATR, you don't have a scripture!

Edited:
Why I am not a Muslim?
I almost said the Shahada in my 200L. I was genuinely seeking for God...... So, I know the Bible and I know enough Islam to make an intelligent choice at the end of the day. The details is not relevant to you!
shadeyinka:
It is you who need to validate God's non-existence.
Lol. Come on now. Your sob argument of "you can't prove that god doesn't exist" is a logical fallacy of which I'm not even going to go into details yet. But since I can't disprove a negative, is it then philosophical proof that he doesn't exist since his nonexistence can't be proven?

3 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 6:07pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

Lol. Come on now. Your sob argument of "you can't prove that god doesn't exist" is a logical fallacy of which I'm not even going to go into details yet. But since I can't disprove a negative, is it then philosophical proof that he doesn't exist since his nonexistence can't be proven?
No!
It just shows that both of us are people of Faith!

1 Like

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 6:09pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

No!
It just shows that both of us are people of Faith!
Can you disprove that we aren't in a Matrix? No, you can't. Saying that "you can't prove that god doesn't exists" is stupid because I can put in literally anything I want in that sentence: Unicorns, that we are in the matrix, giant 3 headed dogs, super powers, a giant teapot orbiting Jupiter, etc etc. Literally anything.

Here's a fun mental exercise. Try to prove that: a giant teapot that orbits Jupiter in such a way that we will never see it, doesn't exist. You can present me with all the evidence you want, and I can just make up all contrived bull crap I want to argue against your every point.

Its not about what you can disprove, its about what you can prove. That's all that matters. In science at least. There's a quote that goes "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Well its not evidence of existence either. Its just lack of evidence. No one's going to tell me that the absence of evidence is actually evidence of existence. That's not how it works.

Don't you christians hate when you create your own storms but forget to bring an umbrella?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by TheArranger(m): 6:20pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

I don't need you to validate my points: not at all. I don't need to validate God's existence. It is you who need to validate God's non-existence. Morality and Righteousness is relative. The point is , relative to what standard is Righteousness?

Athiesm is a kind of faith! Where the Creator God is replaced with Self or self worship. Before you start screaming, do you have evidence that God doesn't exist? If you do, bring it out! ;Then athiesm would not be a religion if you can prove it.

Yes you do have a doctrine! Disbelieve in the existence of God/God's. Like ATR, you don't have a scripture!

Edited:
Why I am not a Muslim?
I almost said the Shahada in my 200L. I was genuinely seeking for God...... So, I know the Bible and I know enough Islam to make an intelligent choice at the end of the day. The details is not relevant to you!
Can you disprove that I'm God?

No, you can't ask me to demonstrate anything. I'm not a vending machine. I act according to my will and my will alone and you can not possibly comprehend why everything I do is what results in the best of all possible worlds. But everything in the universe acts according to my will and my will alone, unless you can prove otherwise.

So, can you prove that I'm not God? No? Then are you ready to accept me as your personal Lord and Savior? If not, why not?

The reason you give me is the reason I don't believe in your god.
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 6:21pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

Can you disprove that we aren't in a Matrix? No, you can't. Saying that "you can't prove that god doesn't exists" is stupid because I can put in literally anything I want in that sentence: Unicorns, that we are in the matrix, giant 3 headed dogs, super powers, a giant teapot orbiting Jupiter, etc etc. Literally anything.

Here's a fun mental exercise. Try to prove that: a giant teapot that orbits Jupiter in such a way that we will never see it, doesn't exist. You can present me with all the evidence you want, and I can just make up all contrived bull shit I want to argue against your every point.

Its not about what you can disprove, its about what you can prove. That's all that matters. In science at least. There's a quote that goes "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Well its not evidence of existence either. Its just lack of evidence. Don't let any christian tell you that the absence of evidence is actually evidence of existence. That's not how it works.

Don't you christians hate when you create your own storms but forget to bring an umbrella?
Life would have been so simple if everything can be proved. Unfortunatly not!
I wonder why any christian would use that kind of evidence
. Don't let any christian tell you that the absence of evidence is actually evidence of existence. That's not how it works.
The Only Truth is,
1. I cant proof He exists
2. You cant prove He doesnt exist
Then we hold a position of faith in the existence or in existence of Him.

Of course, we are in a Matrix.
Some things seem not to add up!
Some people seem to have received enlightenment
While others are lost in the maze
No one seems to know why things are the way they are
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 6:27pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Life would have been so simple if everything can be proved. Unfortunatly not!
I wonder why any christian would use that kind of evidence

The Only Truth is,
1. I cant proof He exists
2. You cant prove He doesnt exist

Then we hold a position of faith in the existence or in existence of Him.

Of course, we are in a Matrix.
Some things seem not to add up!
Some people seem to have received enlightenment
While others are lost in the maze
No one seems to know why things are the way they are
As per the bolded statement above ===> If you agree that we're experiencing a shared reality, then one of us sees reality as it is, and the other (the theist) is adding something onto it (god). There's your burden of proof.
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 6:33pm On Feb 06, 2019
TheArranger:

Can you disprove that I'm God?

No, you can't ask me to demonstrate anything. I'm not a vending machine. I act according to my will and my will alone and you can not possibly comprehend why everything I do is what results in the best of all possible worlds. But everything in the universe acts according to my will and my will alone, unless you can prove otherwise.

So, can you prove that I'm not God? No? Then are you ready to accept me as your personal Lord and Savior? If not, why not?

The reason you give me is the reason I don't believe in your god.
Your logic is Faulty! Very faulty!

If I prove that you are God, then you must be God
If I prove that you are not God, then you aren't

Unfortunately, it is impossible to prove God. Why?
The disparity between God and man is so wide that our dimension isn't sufficient to comprehend Him. However, the reverse is very true. God can prove Himself to be God IFF He chooses to.

Can Bacteria prove that I exist?

1 Like

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 6:37pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Your logic is Faulty! Very faulty!

If I prove that you are God, then you must be God
If I prove that you are not God, then you aren't

Unfortunately, it is impossible to prove God. Why?
The disparity between God and man is so wide that our dimension isn't sufficient to comprehend Him. However, the reverse is very true. God can prove Himself to be God IFF He chooses to.

You actually can prove nonexistence if the entity said to be existing is self-contradicting, as is the Christian deity. But no, it is not philosophical proof that a god doesn't exist since nonexistence can't be proven.
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 7:00pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

As per the bolded statement above ===> If you agree that we're experiencing a shared reality, then one of us sees reality as it is, and the other (the theist) is adding something onto it (god). There's your burden of proof.
Like in the matrix,: what is reality?

To you, reality is defined solely by what can be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned etc. Like in Classical Physics

For me, reality is defined by what can be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned AND what can't. Like in Quantum Physics.

Since your God cannot be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned, he doesn't exist. It is called narrow minded world view.

My God cannot be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned AND He does exist. It is called wide minded world view.

How do you think Albert Einstein will explain Wave-Particle duality of matter to Isaac Newton without Newton becoming like Einstein?

Most probably you are the one who removed part of the reality

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 7:12pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Like in the matrix,: what is reality?

To you, reality is defined solely by what can be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned etc. Like in Classical Physics

For me, reality is defined by what can be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned AND what can't. Like in Quantum Physics.

Since your God cannot be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned, he doesn't exist. It is called narrow minded world view.

My God cannot be seen, touched, weighed, dimensioned AND He does exist. It is called wide minded world view.

How do you think Albert Einstein will explain Wave-Particle duality of matter to Isaac Newton without Newton becoming like Einstein?
Shadeyinka, remember what I said about creating your own storms without bringing your umbrella along?.....
Slow down. You're putting the cart way ahead of the horse.
First of all, Quantum physics suggests that the universe is inherently probabilistic and statistical. There's no implication of a god whatsoever here.
I'll give you the notion that God is not calculable. To ask "Does god exist" is not quantifiable. The only thing, as an atheist, I can think of that can possibly exist as a form of "God" is whatever is before the big bang. However, what you need to realize here is that lack of knowledge doesn't quench the burden of evidence. No God of Abraham is, in my opinion, compatible in any way to physics. The relationship you're trying to create between quantum physics and the Christian God YHWH is not just working, fam.

1 Like

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 7:16pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

Could it be that you are the one deducting from the existing reality. Limiting it strictly to the physical

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 7:19pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

You actually can prove nonexistence if the entity said to be existing is self-contradicting, as is the Christian deity. But no, it is not philosophical proof that a god doesn't exist since nonexistence can't be proven.
If Christians have claimed a physical God, then you have a point BUT since the Christians God is a Spirit you Atheists will have to go spiritual to prove God doesn't exist. But since you can't, your inability has become your proof

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by budaatum: 7:27pm On Feb 06, 2019
DeSepiero:

It's this easy:

After death, what if you don't find Jesus but instead you find Anubis waiting to judge you?
Would it matter, since the standards are pretty much the same? After all, neither Jesus nor Anpu (Anubis' Egyptian and proper name), particularly demanded that one just believe they exist, contrary to popular belief.
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 7:27pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

Shadeyinka, remember what I said about creating your own storms without bringing your umbrella along?.....
Slow down. You're putting the cart way ahead of the horse.
First of all, Quantum physics suggests that the universe is inherently probabilistic and statistical. There's no implication of a god whatsoever here.
I'll give you the notion that God is not calculable. To ask "Does god exist" is not quantifiable. The only thing, as an atheist, I can think of that can possibly exist as a form of "God" is whatever is before the big bang. However, what you need to realize here is that lack of knowledge doesn't quench the burden of evidence. No God of Abraham is, in my opinion, compatible in any way to physics. The relationship you're trying to create between quantum physics and the Christian God YHWH is not just working, fam.
Why go tangent to what is clearly presented. I never insinuated that Quantum physics is a proof of God.

If you can't comprehend, let me break it in lay mans language.
Impossibilities in the Classical Space ARE Possibilities in the Quantum Space.

Like in Classical Physics, Is it possible that matter exist as both particles and waves?

1 Like

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by budaatum: 7:29pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Yes now! Using it's criteria of existence, it can.
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 7:35pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Could it be that you are the one deducting from the existing reality. Limiting it strictly to the physical
I have neither deducted, NOR added to reality sir
shadeyinka:

If Christians have claimed a physical God, then you have a point BUT since the Christians God is a Spirit you Atheists will have to go spiritual to prove God doesn't exist. But since you can't, your inability has become your proof
Lol. I chuckled when you said "we will have to go spiritual to prove God doesn't exist.". Hell, I can't even get people to define "spirituality" in a way that significantly differs from what we know about brain chemistry or other measurable, medical reactions in our bodies!
If I can't so much as get a distinct, basic definition, how the heck could I even begin to evaluate claims about the existence and qualities of this so-called "spirituality"?
You must have heard of the God of the Gaps, Shadeyinka?
The term "God of the gaps" is sometimes used in describing the incremental retreat of religious explanations of physical phenomena in the face of increasingly comprehensive scientific explanations for those phenomena.

The term God-of-the-gaps fallacy can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which is a variant of an argument from ignorance fallacy.[15][16] Such an argument is sometimes reduced to the following form:

There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world.

Therefore the cause must be supernatural.

One example of such an argument, which uses God as an explanation of one of the current gaps in biological science, is as follows: "Because current science can't figure out exactly how life started, it must be God who caused life to start."

Wherever there have been gaps in our scientific understanding, religious apologists will always point at the gaps and say, "That's God! Right There!" The non-intuitive 'weirdness' of Quantum mechanics attracts a lot of these people, and for a while now, Quantum mechanics has attracted all sort of crackpots, new age types, etc. It would be best, Shadeyinka, not to latch onto a discarded notion that never was widely accepted by the scientific community in the first place, and use that to launch a series of related arguments that lead from that premise. It's a weird new sort of self deceit.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 7:42pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Why go tangent to what is clearly presented. I never insinuated that Quantum physics is a proof of God.

If you can't comprehend, let me break it in lay mans language.
Impossibilities in the Classical Space ARE Possibilities in the Quantum Space.

Like in Classical Physics, Is it possible that matter exist as both particles and waves?
Still see no evidence for YHWH here. If you can't prove something, why believe in it?
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 7:52pm On Feb 06, 2019
budaatum:

Yes now! Using it's criteria of existence, it can.
Really?
How do you think a Bacteria can communicate the reality of the presence of human beings who walk on two legs, with height (relatively to the size of a bacteria 22million kilometers, weight like 100million megatons and with liquid rain than can wipe out a continent of bacteria consisting of more than 800 million precious bacteria souls!

Pls answer the above question based on what we know about bacteria.

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 8:10pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

I have neither deducted, NOR added to reality sir

Lol. I chuckled when you said "we will have to go spiritual to prove God doesn't exist.". Hell, I can't even get people to define "spirituality" in a way that significantly differs from what we know about brain chemistry or other measurable, medical reactions in our bodies!
If I can't so much as get a distinct, basic definition, how the heck could I even begin to evaluate claims about the existence and qualities of this so-called "spirituality"?
You must have heard of the God of the Gaps, Shadeyinka?
The term "God of the gaps" is sometimes used in describing the incremental retreat of religious explanations of physical phenomena in the face of increasingly comprehensive scientific explanations for those phenomena.

The term God-of-the-gaps fallacy can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which is a variant of an argument from ignorance fallacy.[15][16] Such an argument is sometimes reduced to the following form:

There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world.

Therefore the cause must be supernatural.

One example of such an argument, which uses God as an explanation of one of the current gaps in biological science, is as follows: "Because current science can't figure out exactly how life started, it must be God who caused life to start."

Wherever there have been gaps in our scientific understanding, religious apologists will always point at the gaps and say, "That's God! Right There!" The non-intuitive 'weirdness' of Quantum mechanics attracts a lot of these people, and for a while now, Quantum mechanics has attracted all sort of crackpots, new age types, etc. It would be best, Shadeyinka, not to latch onto a discarded notion that never was widely accepted by the scientific community in the first place, and use that to launch a series of related arguments that lead from that premise. It's a weird new sort of self deceit.
Yes you deducted from existing realities by assuming that reality consist only of that which obeys the physical laws.

I didn't use the Quantum/Classical mechanics disparity to prove any gap theory. I just used it to illustriate that impossible things in the Classical realm does not really imply correctness...but lack of complete information.

The athiest is willing to consider the probability of other lives and conciousness outside our Galaxy but yet deny the existence of God because He isn't made up of Carbon, Nitrogen , Hydrogen and Oxygen . He is willing to believe that a thousand years from now, man will be able to travel to the next Galaxy and found a civilization.

I could talk of the gsps if I wish but not like you think not as a proof of God's existence but to show you that there are many things that defy scientific explanation.

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by budaatum: 8:14pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Really?
How do you think a Bacteria can communicate the reality of the presence of human beings who walk on two legs, with height (relatively to the size of a bacteria 22million kilometers, weight like 100million megatons and with liquid rain than can wipe out a continent of bacteria consisting of more than 800 million precious bacteria souls!

Pls answer the above question based on what we know about bacteria.
Depends on the bacteria, of course. But when it tries to feed on you and can (feeding on you being it's sole reason for being concerned whether you exist or not, and how it determines if you do or not), it would stay on you and thrive, knowing you most definitely must exist, because if you didn't exist it would likely jump somewhere more sustaining or die. And if you could ask it afterwards if you didn't exist, (provided you speak and understand bacteriumba, or bacterianglish, depending which it speaks), it would most likely say, "I thought you existed. But when I tried to eat you I found you didn't, and look now, I'm dead!" Whereas, if you existed, it would say "look at me, I multiplied. Ergo, you most definitely must exist!" In bacteriumba, or bacterianglish, and "based on what we know about bacteria", of course.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by budaatum: 8:17pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

I could talk of the gaps if I wish but not like you think not as a proof of God's existence but to show you that there are many things that defy scientific explanation.

So anything that that defies "scientific explanation", is evidence for the existence of a thing?

How does that work?

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:20pm On Feb 06, 2019
budaatum:

Depends on the bacteria, of course. But when it tries to feed on you and can (feeding on you being it's sole reason for being concerned whether you exist or not, and how it determines if you do or not), it would stay on you and thrive, knowing you most definitely must exist, because if you didn't exist it would likely jump somewhere more sustaining or die. And if you could ask it afterwards if you didn't exist, (provided you speak and understand bacteriumba, or bacterianglish, depending which it speaks), it would most likely say, "I thought you existed. But when I tried to eat you I found you didn't, and look now, I'm dead!" Whereas, if you existed, it would say "look at me, I multiplied. Ergo, you most definitely must exist!" In bacteriumba, or bacterianglish, and "based on what we know about bacteria", of course.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INTELLIGENT REPLIES, AND FOR PROVING THAT THE HUMAN BRAIN AND MIND IS ACTUALLY CAPABLE OF DEEP RATIONAL THOUGHTS, UNLIKE WHAT RELIGION AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO REDUCE IT TO.

TODAY I CONCLUDE THERE'S NOBODY AS DUMB AS A CHRISTIAN.
CHANGE MY MIND.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 8:21pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

Still see no evidence for YHWH here. If you can't prove something, why believe in it?
Like why believe in Love when you can't quantify it.
Why control fear when it cannot be measured
Why should words of an order be obeyed

Before you start screaming that these are emotions and not personalities! No one can prove the spiritual,!

I don't intend to prove YHWH to you. It's not possible.
Athiesm is a KIND of Faith (in Self as a replacement for God).

If there is 0.001% probability that God exist to you, the fact that either way there is no proof means you are living by your faith.

What if you discover that God really exist, what would be your reaction and response?

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by budaatum: 8:25pm On Feb 06, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

TODAY I CONCLUDE THERE'S NOBODY AS DUMB AS A CHRISTIAN.
CHANGE MY MIND.
Depends what you mean by "CHRISTIAN". And what you mean by " change your mind". If you explain, I will gladly take up this challenge. In fact, I'm dying to, soon as I find someone with a capable mind!

Are you capable? How about a thread?
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by CAPSLOCKED: 8:27pm On Feb 06, 2019
undecided
Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 8:27pm On Feb 06, 2019
budaatum:

Wouldn't the bacteria just see you as nothing but natural habitat. Wouldn't the Scientists among the bacteria study the "garden" in which they live. Everything if they could see, would they know the difference between food from your body and you?

You'll agree with me that the disparity is too much for bacteria to be able to draw a man eating on the dinning table

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by JujuSugar(f): 8:29pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Yes you deducted from existing realities by assuming that reality consist only of that which obeys the physical laws.

I didn't use the Quantum/Classical mechanics disparity to prove any gap theory. I just used it to illustriate that impossible things in the Classical realm does not really imply correctness...but lack of complete information.

The athiest is willing to consider the probability of other lives and conciousness outside our Galaxy but yet deny the existence of God because He isn't made up of Carbon, Nitrogen , Hydrogen and Oxygen . He is willing to believe that a thousand years from now, man will be able to travel to the next Galaxy and found a civilization.

I could talk of the gsps if I wish but not like you think not as a proof of God's existence but to show you that there are many things that defy scientific explanation.
I didn't deduct anything. My apologies if you think I said something to imply deduction from reality. When it comes to the claim of a god's existence, we have to consider whether the proposed "god" in this scenario is falsifiable.

YHWH, for example, IS falsifiable. If the god you believed in had to have flooded the entire planet to wipe out all human life but one family and then ordered said family to repopulate the world via incest sex, then that god DOES NOT exist and cannot exist.
Why? Because
A, we aren't all retards due to incest sex. And
B, the global flood never happened in the first place. So the god that did those things logically cannot exist.

The other example is the metaphorical christian god. "Oh everything in the bible is just a metaphor, Jesus is just an example to live up to, he wasn't actually real, it's all spirit and immaterial and god doesn't really interact with the world in any detectable way . . . blah . . . blah . . . blah."
Or attempting to make God an abstract property like love, hate, fear etc etc

That's an unfalsifiable god. I can't prove or disprove anything about him, because there's nothing to really address proof wise.
The one thing I can say about unfalsefiable god claims though, is that because I can't prove anything, there's no rational reason to believe in one.
Which leads up to where we currently stand. ALL god/supernatural claims thus fitting into one of 2 categories ONLY.

1. Claims that have been tested and shown to be false.
2. Claims that can't be tested and are therefore useless.

There is no 3rd category of claims that have been tested and shown to be true. If there were, god would be taught in science classes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 8:34pm On Feb 06, 2019
budaatum:

So anything that that defies "scientific explanation", is evidence for the existence of a thing?

How does that work?

Lack of scientific explanation is never an evidence for the existence or lack of existence of God. No!
However, it is a scientific means of saying that the probability of it existing or not is neither 0% nor 100%

Now, it means you are the one playing a Russian Roulette with your soul.
For me, I don't need any scientific validation to believe in God...and I have nothing to loose even if I am wrong. (I am not about discussing Pascal's Wager)

1 Like

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by TheArranger(m): 8:49pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Lack of scientific explanation is never an evidence for the existence or lack of existence of God. No!
However, it is a scientific means of saying that the probability of it existing or not is neither 0% nor 100%

Now, it means you are the one playing a Russian Roulette with your soul.
For me, I don't need any scientific validation to believe in God...and I have nothing to loose even if I am wrong. (I am not about discussing Pascal's Wager)
Your last paragraph looks like Pascal's wager to me.

1 Like

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 9:07pm On Feb 06, 2019
JujuSugar:

I didn't deduct anything. My apologies if you think I said something to imply deduction from reality. When it comes to the claim of a god's existence, we have to consider whether the proposed "god" in this scenario is falsifiable.

YHWH, for example, IS falsifiable. If the god you believed in had to have flooded the entire planet to wipe out all human life but one family and then ordered said family to repopulate the world via incest sex, then that god DOES NOT exist and cannot exist.
Why? Because
B, the global flood never happened in the first place. So the god that did those things logically cannot exist.

The other example is the metaphorical christian god. "Oh everything in the bible is just a metaphor, Jesus is just an example to live up to, he wasn't actually real, it's all spirit and immaterial and god doesn't really interact with the world in any detectable way . . . blah . . . blah . . . blah."
Or attempting to make God an abstract property like love, hate, fear etc etc

That's an unfalsifiable god. I can't prove or disprove anything about him, because there's nothing to really address proof wise.
The one thing I can say about unfalsefiable god claims though, is that because I can't prove anything, there's no rational reason to believe in one.
Which leads up to where we currently stand. ALL god/supernatural claims thus fitting into one of 2 categories ONLY.

There is no 3rd category of claims that have been tested and shown to be true. If there were, god would be taught in science classes.
I can see that your problem is no other than the God of Abraham YHWH. No problem! It is expected whenever a person chooses to be his/her own God, then God becomes a rival to be exterminated and reduced to a level of inexistence.

You have made some ridiculous claims:
B, the global flood never happened in the first place. So the god that did those things logically cannot exist
1. Incest lead to retarded offsprings:
Your assumption: the genes of those days were as defective as that of today. You may need to establish this fact before you conclude.
2. Global flood never happened:
But how come fossils from oil well seems from a sudden catastrophic burrial?
Whether the waters complely submerged the whole Earth or major parts of the world is a subject of debate for another day.

Unfortunately, there is no physical laws that can proof or disprove God. So, you saying:

ALL god/supernatural claims thus fitting into one of 2 categories ONLY.

Tested by what laws and what frame of reference?
Can Classical physics ever explain how an electromagnetic waves can be both particles or waves?
It's like using the laws of biology to prove/disprove atomic behaviours.

Hence, your conclusion is mere wishful yhinking

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by shadeyinka(m): 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2019
TheArranger:

Your last paragraph looks like Pascal's wager to me.
I clarified, it didn't I?

2 Likes

Re: Christians Of Nairaland, What If You're Wrong? by budaatum: 10:02pm On Feb 06, 2019
shadeyinka:

Like why believe in Love when you can't quantify it.
Why control fear when it cannot be measured
Why should words of an order be obeyed

Before you start screaming that these are emotions and not personalities! No one can prove the spiritual!
Love and fear can be proved!

shadeyinka:

What if you discover that God really exist, what would be your reaction and response?
I know you ain't talking to me, but if I discovered God really exists (as opposed to believing, which is the holding of some alt reality in my head that I have no evidence for and which could be wrong though I wouldn't know because I'm perhaps too lazy to check or deluded), I, buda, would be screaming around like a mad person going, "Shadeyinka, look at the existing God!" And when I show it to you, I'd expect you to say, "aha, buda! I see it", if there truly is something there to show to you, and your eyes work.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can Man Advise God And Make Him Change His Mind? / Little Kelvin Santos Wakes Up From The Dead,asks For Water, And Dies Again. / The Population Of Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.