Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions (41401 Views)

Atiku Reacts To CJN Onnoghen's Petition in CCB / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed / Breaking: FG Asks CJN Onnoghen To Vacate Office Over Asset Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by NwaliE01: 8:59pm On Jan 14, 2019
PStacks:
The erudite jurist Akinola Aguda, of blessed memory, said in 1978, when handling a case in which a lawyer was found guilty:
"Because you are a lawyer, who is supposed to know better, I will give you the maximum punishment prescribed under this act.
“I want the lawyers, and judges to know that if politicians can fail the society, military can fail the society, lawyers cannot afford to fail the society or else we are all doomed.
We should not drag sentiment into law. No matter the people’s nomenclature, tribe, religion, we should be guided by the law''
Our number one jurist in 2019 remembered to declare his Naira account but said he forgot to declare his fx account.
Wetin I sabi? Lawyers said that the law says the case must go to NJC first where the accused is the head and NBA chairman who is also standing a corruption trial is a member.

You too make sense bro.

My only worry about this whole issue is the speed to which this trial in NCC was initiated and the wrong step of bye-passing the NJC to get to NCC.
No one is above the law but due process must be followed.
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Iamzik: 9:02pm On Jan 14, 2019
afoobabs:
i cant help weeping when i looked at our judiciary in this country and they call it the last hope of the masses. if the judiciary in itself is an embodiment of corruption what hope is left in it for the masses.

This case of CJN it baffles me why all these emotional and sentimental driven Nigerians do not want to know if the allegations are true or false. Nigerians are not ready for a better Nigeria what is our business if the probe is selective or not what matters most is whether he is guilty or innocent of crime and leave that to the court to decide.
its not that the govt is sending him to jail outrightly, he was just asked to step aside then go to the CCT to clear his name.

This is the reason why all allegedly corrupt persons must be dealt with without fear or favour.

What happened to ganduje, akpabio, Uzor Kalu, babacbir, amaechi, fashola.... I can go on and on

This government has shown itself to be partial when it comes to going after those who bereach the law.

I guess this is the reason why many Nigerians will be sympathetic to the CJN's arraignment at the speed of light.

If you want an effective fight against corruption, then the law must be truly blind to party affiliations.

If you want to

2 Likes

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Pavarottii(m): 9:04pm On Jan 14, 2019
5thElement:
You want to shut down a system that is not working.
Na u win my price... Best comment of the day... Punchline of d day... #SAVAGE...
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by CanineOfJackal: 9:07pm On Jan 14, 2019
afoobabs:
i cant help weeping when i looked at our judiciary in this country and they call it the last hope of the masses. if the judiciary in itself is an embodiment of corruption what hope is left in it for the masses.

This case of CJN it baffles me why all these emotional and sentimental driven Nigerians do not want to know if the allegations are true or false. N8igerians are not ready for a better Nigeria what is our business if the probe is selective or not what matters most is whether he is guilty or innocent of crime and leave that to the court to decide.
its not that the govt is sending him to jail outrightly, he was just asked to step aside then go to the CCT to clear his name.
shut up.

1 Like

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by AnanseK(m): 9:07pm On Jan 14, 2019
They love criminals over there:

1 Like

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by ArcFresky(m): 9:12pm On Jan 14, 2019
kapelvej:
[s]Well, well well, FTC...

Crash the system on the silly dullard from Daura. Gandollar was not even invited or interrogated all in the name of immunity, but fayose was chased all over the country even as a sitting governor, make I hear say anybody still talk of intergrity[/s]

Do you remember Ameachi as governor of Rivers?

Give me an instance when Fayose was hunted down and kidnapped by government agents.. But please don't mention his "am in pain theatrics".

Ganduje is a sitting governor and has immunity.

CJN has no Immunity, he should explain himself just like Saraki did
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Baroba(m): 9:17pm On Jan 14, 2019
afoobabs:

This case of CJN it baffles me why all these emotional and sentimental driven Nigerians do not want to know if the allegations are true or false. Nigerians are not ready for a better Nigeria what is our business if the probe is selective or not what matters most is whether he is guilty or innocent of crime and leave that to the court to decide.

Rule of law my friend, follow due process that's what we are asking for..We are in a democracy governed by LAW!!..

2 Likes

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Hotfreezer: 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2019
Nathdoug:
shut up Zombie
So the man doesn't have a business..
That is fetching him extra money
I don't know how you zombies think

Nathdog, your father is a zombie and an illiterate.

Judges are not allowed to partake in politics or have businesses while they remain judges. That's the rule.

You can't know cos you're a dumb illiterate.
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Ghostmode2two(m): 9:23pm On Jan 14, 2019
Baawaa:
For real our judiciary is corrupt,

Show me any sector in this country that is not corrupt
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by CaptainFM1: 9:23pm On Jan 14, 2019
Goddys:

You ooze of ignorance from your above post. Before you make comment next time, try to find out the position of law and not display ignorance

Why is the law been selective?

1 Like

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Mrpojj(m): 9:32pm On Jan 14, 2019
homody:

U no get brain at all, wetin be asset declearation ? I weep for naija o.

Oga sense well done
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:37pm On Jan 14, 2019
Baawaa:
Those of us supporting APC and buhari, have u ever wondered WHAT IF all PDP members decamped to APC just like Akpabio and other. What would have been ur fate? Direct hunger, killings and others. Opposition exist as an eye opener not necessarily an enemy

1 Like

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:39pm On Jan 14, 2019
afoobabs:

see as they attack me because am saying the truth.

if the present administration didnt probe ameachi, akpabio and fashola another administration will. thats if they are actually guilty.

i could remember vividly that it is you lots that were saying akpabio should not be probe when he was in the other camp but now that he has jump the ship you started calling for his head.
Those of us supporting APC and buhari, have u ever wondered WHAT IF all PDP members decamped to APC just like Akpabio and other. What would have been ur fate? Direct hunger, killings and others. Opposition exist as an eye opener not necessarily an enemy

1 Like

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by faceland: 9:53pm On Jan 14, 2019
Buhari fu8ked up by allowing his deputy to appoint him in the first place. Then he fu5ked up the second time by not giving him the same treatment he gave Badeh Alex. Didn't he learn from the 'Senate President stunt' that you can NOT use law to unseat powerful men?
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by faceland: 9:59pm On Jan 14, 2019
AnanseK:

They love criminals over there:

That person was removed from office because Baba doesn't trust Tinubu and need cash for election. Her so called 'resignation' was not her chose.
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by zubydave(m): 10:02pm On Jan 14, 2019
Uglymugg:
Because America shutdown their own government this one want to copy. Low self esteem.
Just my thoughts. Na everything we dey copy. Tufia
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by delerx(m): 10:06pm On Jan 14, 2019
You are correct. Not even a poo hole. It will be worst than syria
bigfish3k:

seperation will settle all these ur complains and or true federalism or we will forever remain a shit hole
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by kapelvej: 10:13pm On Jan 14, 2019
ArcFresky:

Do you remember Ameachi as governor of Rivers?

Give me an instance when Fayose was hunted down and kidnapped by government agents.. But please don't mention his "am in pain theatrics".

Ganduje is a sitting governor and has immunity.

CJN has no Immunity, he should explain himself just like Saraki did

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin you are not in this country
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Nathdoug(m): 10:30pm On Jan 14, 2019
Hotfreezer:

Nathdog, your father is a zombie and an illiterate.

Judges are not allowed to partake in politics or have businesses while they remain judges. That's the rule.

You can't know cos you're a dumb illiterate.
zombie they can run businesses
No profession is ban from investing their income
Once you start supporting the Lifeless one you must sound stupid
Zombie
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by bilulu(m): 10:46pm On Jan 14, 2019
afoobabs:

if the present administration didnt probe ameachi, akpabio and fashola another administration will. thats if they are actually guilty.

i could remember vividly that it is you lots that were saying akpabio should not be probe when he was in the other camp but now that he has jump the ship you started calling for his head.
what people are saying is they should follow due process and not through the back door. you can't fight illegality with illegality. How come the president's own wasn't revealed when requested for d reason being dat it can't be assessed but now another person's own can be assessed.... get people's argument bro
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Dollabiz: 10:50pm On Jan 14, 2019
curruption.also.fighting.judges back
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Semperito: 10:54pm On Jan 14, 2019
[color=#990000][/color]
afoobabs:

You have sold your conscience to this devil called Buhari. "WHAT IS OUR BUSINESS IF THE PROBE IS SELECTIVE OR NOT" Are you not seeing the handwriting on the wall.
Military Chiefs. UP NORTH
Dss, NSA, NIA, UP NORTH
Police, INEC, UP NORTH
The Judiciary is the Last man standing.
The Electoral Act was not signed into law because the the Elections are close by(will not favour the presidency) but Forcefully removing a CHIEF JUSTICE OF NIGERIA less than 30 days to the Election seems Obtainable.
5.4bn alleged corruption case is still hanging over the vice president but he goes around sharing moni (10k) to woo the masses.
Babachir Lawal is still Gallivanting,
Orji Uzor kalu's case has gone cold,
so has Abdulrasheed maina,
fmr Dss boss,
why aren't this cases probed as soon as possible.
Kemi Adeosun.
Musiliu Obanikoro.
Saint Godswill Akpabio. lol..
And the certificate saga.
why weren't they followed up like this one.
Onnoghen is the only clog to the rigging machine and all hands are on deck to make sure there is no hitches come February 16 2019.
But they Forgot that POWER BELONGS TO GOD ALMIGHTY......................
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Goddys(m): 11:22pm On Jan 14, 2019
silastemplar:
what is the position Of The law?

The constitution envisaged a situation where the Judiciary is corrupt and created NJC for the purpose of investigating any criminal or corruptible act of any member of the Judiciary. The Court of Appeal upheld same when a similar case was before it. The reason Judiciary is not vested with immunity from prosecution is because of the sensitive nature of their roles as the last hope of a common man. The worst thing that will happen to any nation is when justice is sold for a piece of meat.

The principle of nemo judex incausa sua is also relevant here in the sense that the CJN being the chairman of NJC can recuse himself from the council for the purpose of investigating the alleged incomplete declaration of Assets mandated by law.

The Judiciary like other arms of government should be respected. The president through AGF ought to petition to NJC to investigate CJN. The outcome of their investigation determines whether the CJN will be prosecuted or not.

Trying to undermine the position of CJN who is the arrow-head of legal profession and body of benchers is casting aspersions and disgrace to the entire legal profession.
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by isahsalee: 11:54pm On Jan 14, 2019
PMB, the tormentor of erring Nigeria senate and judiciary since 1983.

1 Like

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Bugie16: 12:06am On Jan 15, 2019
anonymous1759:
This corrupt CJN the poor masses are crying for can't represent thier interest. That's the funny thing about Nigeria masses. When the rich are fighting each other the poor gat Nothing to do with it. Because when the rich share the country's resources they don't make it noisy. But the senseless masses will cry for them because of ethnicity or one political they belong to.

We pray for good leaders but shield them when they're been prosecuted, ain't we encouraging them??
APC prosecute all PDP thiefs. PDP do the same when you've your share of power.
You just nailed it.
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 15, 2019
Even the CJN is fantastically corrupt. Ahhhhhh, naijaaaa. Who placed this curse?

1 Like

Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by arrestdarrester: 1:56am On Jan 15, 2019
PStacks:
The erudite jurist Akinola Aguda, of blessed memory, said in 1978, when handling a case in which a lawyer was found guilty:
"Because you are a lawyer, who is supposed to know better, I will give you the maximum punishment prescribed under this act.
“I want the lawyers, and judges to know that if politicians can fail the society, military can fail the society, lawyers cannot afford to fail the society or else we are all doomed.
We should not drag sentiment into law. No matter the people’s nomenclature, tribe, religion, we should be guided by the law''
Our number one jurist in 2019 remembered to declare his Naira account but said he forgot to declare his fx account.
Wetin I sabi? Lawyers said that the law says the case must go to NJC first where the accused is the head and NBA chairman who is also standing a corruption trial is a member.

1. You know nothing about the rules guiding the public service.

2. The Judiciary is an arm of government and not an appendage of the Executive.

3. Nepotism is the worst form of corruption
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by flames01: 2:05am On Jan 15, 2019
Baawaa:

Stop acting as daft as Buhari.

The NJC is the body that should investigate him and not FG.
Re: CJN Onnoghen: Nigerian Lawyers Set To Shut Down The System. See Reactions by Vickthore: 6:41am On Jan 15, 2019
Ogaga87:

Before you shout like dog wen see spirit, make you go back history and ask some questions before embarrassing me publicly.. Do you know ex governor of Ekiti state, Fayose paid his current lawyer one billion naira (1,000,000,000) for helping him defend a case and when the case of the money was taken to court, the lawyer won... Why then do you think 250million is a whole lot for the CJN.. The matter at hand now is not the amount found in his account but why did he failed to disclose it properly because he, CJN said he made an adjustment after discovering that the account was not disclosed.. Please shout well next time and this embarrassment because next time, I go insult you very well...

Na joke I dey O before you go dey find my face to slap..
Lawyers are in to private practice but a judge is fully employed by d govt. Where dd he get almost a billion naira. His only source of money is govt except if he is into biz that he should disclose. No b by rank

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akapabio Accused Of Ordering Security To Shoot Voters (graphic Pics) / Adams Oshiomhole Arrives APC National Secretariat For NWC Meeting / Mrs Aisha Buhari's Reaction To Husband's Attack In Kaduna Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.