Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,123 members, 7,821,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) (71669 Views)

200 Ukranian Special Forces, Soldiers Killed By Russian Air Strikes (Graphic) / Taliban Unveils Special Forces In Armour Vest, Helmet And Night Vision(Pics) / SAS Officer Hailed A Hero After He Stormed Kenya Hotel With Elite Units (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by Kenyanstar: 10:46am On Jan 17, 2019
KENYA
WESTLANDS TOWNSHIP

1 Like

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by MrBONE2(m): 11:47am On Jan 17, 2019
THUNDER4real:
These are soldiers and these are quality guns...Nigeria soldiers are political police. we don't have soldiers in Nigeria. I wonder how our so called security personnel will respond if we're in same situation. Police will say we close by 6p.m for security reasons, Army will say no ammunition, airforce will say no fuel for aircraft, Fire service will also say we don't have water, we can't come. chai.

Then Nigeria should rely on Hunters like me and Alikwarar grin
Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by alexxo11(m): 12:06pm On Jan 17, 2019
abeg pray tell what are they experiencing? a country that has rebellious attacks from its own people cannot be defended
Cyberleets:
Those kids up there saying Nigeria doesn't have special forces... I have one thing to tell you!! YOU ARE ALL FOOLS

Do you know what the Nigerian army pass through on a daily basis?
Kenyan haven't even seen a complete terrorist attack compared to Nigeria. If Kenyan military experiences what the N.A. has been experiencing, they won't last 2 month!!

Imagine them rating south africa ahead of Nigerian even though south africa hasn't really tested thier army.

Nigerian army might be corrupt but those dude are heroes.

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by iberrylee(m): 2:15pm On Jan 17, 2019
I came here to read comments but I was disappointed in some Nigerians emitting poo from their gutter mouth, should I just conclude that they are dumb or daft for shooting the country down just because they see KENYA ak47 carrying half kitted soldier claiming to be special forces
THIS IS WHAT WE CALL SPECIAL FORCE IN NIGERIA AND MOST ARE TRAINED IN RUSSIA

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by iberrylee(m): 2:18pm On Jan 17, 2019
DSS

1 Like

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by iberrylee(m): 2:22pm On Jan 17, 2019
AFSF
If you see SBS with their Colt c8 and Tavor rifle,you will melt

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by ga6992: 7:38pm On Jan 17, 2019
Kenyanstar:

Dispite all the challenges its a country on the move... Big things are happening bro.

real nice bro...real nice....I'd like to visit there someday
Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by ga6992: 7:43pm On Jan 17, 2019
iberrylee:
I came here to read comments but I was disappointed in some Nigerians emitting poo from their gutter mouth, should I just conclude that they are dumb or daft for shooting the country down just because they see KENYA ak47 carrying half kitted soldier claiming to be special forces
THIS IS WHAT WE CALL SPECIAL FORCE IN NIGERIA AND MOST ARE TRAINED IN RUSSIA

wow this is really nice bro...wonderful....but I wonder why stories from the battle front always says the opposite... being that the soldiers carrying low quality weapons

PS..don't blame people underating our military it was the picture of the white soldier they saw...Lol

1 Like

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by TMKsouth: 8:29pm On Jan 17, 2019
IntrovertedK:
. Nigeria went to SA to help them during their apartheid time.

Huh?? And did what exactly - in South Africa?

5 Likes

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 17, 2019
iberrylee:
AFSF
If you see SBS with their Colt c8 and Tavor rifle,you will melt

Are these special forces or terrorists

1 Like

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by Antichristus: 12:04am On Jan 18, 2019
iberu001:
Nigeria has special force,I have a brother in the navy who is among the SBS,if u see the way he do kit,u will think he is a Marine or US Navy seal.I have his pic but I can't just upload it for security reasons.He was among those deployed to Borno to take over the villages from BK. I don't even knw the name of the rifle they use but it's a bad one.He will be back to Lagos nextweek.Mission accomplished by them.

Stop deceiving yourself. You clearly can't deceive us. There are online videos of members of the Nigerian Armed Forces of all shades complaining about the dearth of kits, weapons and ammunition.
Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by MajesticIgbo(m): 9:16am On Jan 18, 2019
TMKsouth:

Huh?? And did what exactly - in South Africa?

Forget about these stark illiterates.

Nigeria didn't send even a soldier to South Africa during the apartheid regime.
Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by TMKsouth: 9:34am On Jan 18, 2019
MajesticIgbo:

Forget about these stark illiterates.

Nigeria didn't send even a soldier to South Africa during the apartheid regime.

Yeah, thanx. I was wondering how Nigerian troops could just waltz into apartheid SA all the way from West Africa. Even armies and other agencies from neighbouring countries could not penetrate SA.The borders were heavily fortified & the state had nuclear weapons as a deterrent.

I think a lot of Nigerians take this whole "we supported South Africa" thing too far. IntrovertedK

4 Likes

Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by MajesticIgbo(m): 10:30am On Jan 18, 2019
TMKsouth:

Yeah, thanx. I was wondering how Nigerian troops could just waltz into apartheid SA all the way from West Africa. Even armies and other agencies from neighbouring countries could not penetrate SA.The borders were heavily fortified & the state had nuclear weapons as a deterrent.

I think a lot of Nigerians take this whole "we supported South Africa" thing too far. IntrovertedK

You can only hear things like that from delusional Yoruba folks. They don't read, they only assume and guess.

Ask him where he got that "fact" from and, watch him deactivate his account.

Anyway, Nigeria assisted South Africans but they didn't send any soldier. For instance, Nigeria issued passports to about 300 South Africans to travel abroad.

Some even came to live in Nigeria, mainly in the Eastern region. Mandela lived in the East also. All these things were initiated by an Igbo man though. It was Azikiwe's government that issued those passports and, hid Mandela in the Eastern for some time.
Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by TMKsouth: 10:52am On Jan 18, 2019
MajesticIgbo:

You can only hear things like that from delusional Yoruba folks. They don't read, they only assume and guess.

Ask him where he got that "fact" from and, watch him deactivate his account.

Anyway, Nigeria assisted South Africans but they didn't send any soldier. For instance, Nigeria issued passports to about 300 South Africans to travel abroad.

Some even came to live in Nigeria, mainly in the Eastern region. Mandela lived in the East also. All these things were initiated by an Igbo man though. It was Azikiwe's government that issued those passports and, hid Mandela in the Eastern for some time.

Cool. Thanx for the assistance!
Re: Kenya Hotel Attack: Special Forces Taking Position (More Pics) by Jonraid(m): 5:19pm On Jan 18, 2019
How Kenya's Elite Recce Squad trapped and eliminated terrorists

Events during the final one hour when 14 commandos killed four terrorists at dawn Wednesday, ending a 12-hour terror drama at the 14 Riverside complex, have been revealed.
This followed a drawn-out crisis that started when the terrorists took over the upscale complex at 3pm on Tuesday. By 3am the following day, the special forces had combed through six floors before trapping the attackers.

Remote Controlled Robots

Backed by remote-controlled surveillance equipment that was used to map out the floors the attackers were suspected to be holed up, the commandos finally established that the killers were on the seventh floor.
At this point, the two commando units with seven members each, were on the third floor and were solely relying on a robot that had gone up to the sixth floor and located the militants on the upper floor based on electronic signals. Swiftly, one team ran up the stairs and locked the exit leading to the sixth floor. They held their positions on the fifth floor.

Power supply

All this time the commandos had switched off the power supply to the entire building to disable the lifts.
The second team of seven sharpshooters used ropes to scale the sides of the building and accessed the seventh floor through a window.
Their entry forced the terrorists, who were at one far end, to try retreating to the sixth floor, but they realised the door leading to the staircase had been locked.
The terrorists were now sitting ducks
At the same time, members of the National Security Advisory Committee (NSAC), who were monitoring developments from Harambee House, were updated on what had just transpired.
The committee sought to know whether all the terrorists had been cornered.
After being informed of the killers’ whereabouts, the NSAC advised that all the people who had been trapped in the adjacent blocks be freed.
“It was dark and we knew the floor where they were trapped was up there. We moved to the other blocks and managed to free 174 people who had been trapped for close to 12 hours,” said an official.
The team felt that waiting until morning to mount a rescue operation would endanger the lives of those who were trapped because the terrorists would see their movements and strike.
After freeing all the people, a decision was made to make a final push and target where the gang was hiding.
Interestingly, some of the terrorists were communicating with people in Kiambu and Somalia. It is believed their commander was the one talking with Shabaab militants across the border.
He even sent images of victims of the attack to unidentified people in Somalia. He had also talked to a man in Ruaka at the beginning of the attack.
An idea to jam communication at the complex was floated, but some commanders rejected it.

Jam communication

“We felt that by blocking communication we would cause panic among those trapped therein and who were in touch with their loved ones. This idea was defeated and the jammer removed from the scene,” said another official.
At about 4 am, a decision was made to storm the room where the four terrorists were. They had been trapped for some time and the commandos were confident that they were worn out.
The team that was on the seventh floor was in constant communication with their colleagues on the fifth floor. This first team charged first, blowing up the entrance to the sixth floor and into a room where the killers holed
Those at the front held up bulletproof shields as their colleagues sprayed the room with high calibre assault rifles.
In a matter of seconds, the four assailants had been killed. But they had tossed grenades at the officers, which bounced off the shields and back to them. When the grenades exploded, they injured two commandos in the legs.
The injured officers were picked up by their colleagues and are in stable condition in hospital.
The team, through their site commander General Service Unit Commandant Douglas Kanja, reported that the mission was complete.
They allowed other teams to walk through the floors and check for abandoned explosives. Yesterday, one grenade was recovered and taken away for safe detonation.
It also emerged that the decision to deploy the special forces from Recce Squad was made during the initial moments of the attack.
After learning that there were gunshots at the complex, Deputy Inspector General of Police Edward Njoroge was asked to mobilise and put on standby a team to respond to the scene. The initial report and belief was that the attack was a robbery targeting a bank.
But after locals heard huge blasts emanating from the complex, they made calls and sent photos that showed smoke billowing from the complex.
That was when the Recce team was dispatched from Ruiru. Earlier, State House had sent personnel from the presidential guard to provide backup to officers who were first to arrive at the scene. One member of the team was shot and killed by the terrorists.
The response was swift, with Mr Njoroge and Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti taking charge of the operation and Kanja overseeing the active evacuation.

Foreign embassies

Teams from the US, UK and other foreign embassies joined the battle, also providing crucial logistical support.
They helped free dozens of trapped people even as they pushed the terrorists to the upper floors. CCTV footage showed a suicide bomber had walked to the front of the restaurant and detonated his vest, causing confusion. It is not clear how he passed through a security check at the main entrance without the explosive on him being detected.
The terrorist walked and stood in front of Secret Garden restaurant for almost a minute as he tried to detonate his suicide vest. At least two people, including a cook, walked past him. The cook seemed curious about the man’s intentions but walked past him just before he blew himself up.
This marked the beginning of the attack, forcing the building’s occupants to seek escape routes. They were, however, forced to retreat into the building as they came under fire by the gunmen who were then walking away from the main entrance.
A witness, Faith Chepchirchir, said people were trying to run towards the gate after the blast went off, but they turn back.
“I saw everyone who was running towards the gate heading back in the opposite direction. We then closed the doors as bullets were sprayed all over.”
She said the gunmen went to the hotel and took an upper floor, from where they started firing down.
Many civilians remained holed up in the complex for several hours, hiding from the attackers in bathrooms, under tables and chairs, before they were rescued.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Donald Trump Impeachment Doesn't Mean Removal From Office / Exclusive Graphic Images From Israel By First Responders / Turkey Shoots Down Russian Jet Near Syrian Border

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.