Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Buhari's Townhall Interview: A Recap By Temitope Ajayi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Townhall Interview: A Recap By Temitope Ajayi (660 Views)

Atiku Is Not A Decent Man For Dragging Tinubu To Chicago Court - Temitope Ajayi / What Is Really Wrong With Muslim-Muslim Ticket? - Temitope Ajayi / Miyetti Allah Hires Queen Temitope Ajayi As Ambassador For Image Laundering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Townhall Interview: A Recap By Temitope Ajayi by Venom236: 11:09am On Jan 17, 2019
The usual people have been on steroids since President Buhari and his deputy came on NTA for a LIVE Television Townhall Interview. Everyone reserves their views on how they rate his performance. Below is my personal recap of what he said though not in his exact words but I took enough care to recall what he said without much deviation.

Kadaria Ahmed: Why are you running again and why Nigerians should Vote for you for another 4years.

Buhari: My party nominated me and in last election we campaigned on three major issues of security, fight against corruption and economy. We want to tell Nigerians where we were in 2015 and where we are now given what we have done and available resources. And what we have done with available resources.

Kadaria: There is rising insecurity in North East in a Boko Haram war govt said has been technically defeated.

Buhari: It is the people of North East who can say what we have done. They know the difference. Those who can now go to their farms and do their business can tell better. When we took over in 2015 Boko Haram was holding 17 local govts in Yobe, Borno, Bauchi and Adamawa. They no longer hold any territory but now using hit and run attack. You journalists really need to go to these places to investigate not just go Maiduguri where you stay in a hotel and be reporting what is happening at the theatre of operation.

Kadaria: There is issue of farmers and herder what are you doing about it.

Buhari: We have great leaders of first republic who thought of solving this problem with grazing reserves and grazing routes. But powerful people took over these routes. A governor made a law banning grazing. The herders are Nigerians who can move within the country in search of water and green pasture for their cattle. They have a period they move down South or to where they can get water for their cattles. A governor said they can graze in Benue, if they move to further down to Bayelsa and Bayelsa say they can't graze do you want to chase them to the Atlantic?

Osinbajo cut in: He provided a more nuanced response and how far the FG has gone with National Economic Council working with governors to have a permanent solution through a combination of Ranch and Grazing Reserves.

Kadaria: what are you doing about issue of almajiri and out of school children

Buhari: Issue of almajiri and school children is a matter for local governments and states. You elite and journalists need to investigate what is happening to local government fund and make enough noise about it. We have a situation where governors just give the local government about 25% of their fund and the governors just spend the local governments money. We have cases of states we are investigating on misuse of local government money.

Kadaria: This also brings the issue of restructuring to allow the federating units operate at their level. What is your thought on that given there is a Federal agency UBEC that is involved with primary education which you said is the job of local government.

Buhari: (he didn't answer the question directly) the import of his response was not lost when he said restructuring is about more resources from the centre to the states and local governments. He reduced it to corruption. Simply saying if it is restructuring that will make the states to spend money judiciously. He threw it back that elite and media should focus more on what is happening in states and local govt.

Kadaria: On soldiers welfare and protest by soldiers on battle front.

Buhari: He said soldiers welfare has improved and he ensured cash payment to soldiers that is open to abuse is removed. Soldiers on battle front he said have bank accounts through which they are paid their allowances and salaries. He also said Nigerians do not seem to understand the country is under war situation and emergency. He said soldiers are not supposed to publicly demonstrate under any condition and those who protested will be court marshalled and subjected to military discipline. He also alluded to the fact that some joined the military for wrong reason which is just to get a job that pays them salary without the readiness to face the demand of soldiering. Those who the people that complain and give excuses. He said other genuine complaints will be looked into any officers shortchanging troops will be fished out.

Kadaria: On Disability Bill

Buhari: He obviously does not know if the Bill is waiting for his assent. He responded saying there are bills before NASS the two chambers have not considered or wasting time on. Again he wants media to bring up these issues. Anyone expecting a President to know everything that comes to his office daily should not be taken serious. The State House Legal Team may still be studying the Bill before it is presented to him to either sign or reject.

Kadaria: On corruption and perception the President is only prosecuting opposition members while protecting his associates.

Buhari: That is unfair comment. We can't just arrest people and detain them without evidence. If you have evidence against anyone with bank accounts, contracts and misappropriation bring it we will ask the EFCC and ICPC to investigate. We must trust the system to function. The demand of democracy is different from when I was military Head of State where I can arrest and charge you guilty and say you are guilty until you can prove you are not. I can't do that now. We must trust the system.

Kadaria: You have not done anything about Governor Ganduje and you have gone to Kano to raise up his hands for second term.

Vice President and the hall cut in: No no. That is not correct.

Buhari: You are not correct. I have never gone to Kano to campaign. I have seen the clip. I don't know the technology used to show that seeing a governor collecting bribe and put it under his agbada and smiling. Is it that even if he wants to take money he can't see anyone to trust to help him keep the money. That is why I said I don't know the technology used to record him. It is really a matter for the State House of Assembly and the matter is in court. I hope before I go to Kano to campaign the matter would have been solved either by court or the House of Assembly.

Kadaria: What will you do with recovered money.

Buhari: Every money now goes into the TSA and we have a view of what we have. I will tell ICPC, EFCC and other agencies to publish again what has been recovered and from who. We have serious infrastructural deficits. We will spend recovered money to improve our budget deficit. We have always said recovered money will be spent on infrastructure.

Kadaria: will you accept defeat and go home if you didn't win this election.

Buhari: I am not new to losing elections. I lost in 2003 I was in court for 30months, I lost in 2007 I was in court for 18 months, I lost in 2011 I was in court for 8 months up to the Supreme Court. What PDP used to do before was to allocate result per constituency and say whosoever is not happy should go to court. My supporters do not have money to spend in court and they will say God dey. By 2015 God dey. Through God factor, PVC and card reader they couldn't allocate result.

PS:

I should think President Buhari was clear in his responses and upfront. Of course he didn't give straight answers to few of the questions. He is a man of few words by nature. He usually would make a detour and answer questions his own way which is what people do. Those who have been writing epistles and distorting what he said can't be helped. I would have been surprised if they did otherwise.

The Vice President, Professor Osinbajo commendably provided the missing links and gave the right support and balance. That is why it is a joint ticket and both men compliment each other.

President Buhari is not a smooth talker who can dazzle with words. Nigeria at this point does not need talkers and conmen again. We have had such men and women in the past. Atiku, PDP and the mushroom candidates are talkers. Atiku has already said he is coming to sell NNPC to enrich his friends.

Nigeria needs doers like Buhari who is fixing abandoned infrastructure the economy needs to grow. Nigeria needs a committed leader like Buhari who is dealing with legacy issues in a sustainable manner. He is a forthright leader who is very clear, honest and comitted to where he wants to take the country to. Buhari is creating a country that will work for the citizens especially the poor people who have been neglected and impoverished by elites' conspiracy.

Buhari wont sell Nigeria to vested interests like Atiku has told us he will do.
Re: Buhari's Townhall Interview: A Recap By Temitope Ajayi by Born2Breed(f): 11:26am On Jan 17, 2019
Lol....what a mor.onic review!
You just nailed the coffin of your president having cognitive disorder and you laid to rest the narrative that his followers are zombies.

Even Amaechi was surprised and Oshiomole was shocked beyond words at his responses....

Re: Buhari's Townhall Interview: A Recap By Temitope Ajayi by StillX10(m): 1:51pm On Jan 17, 2019
OP u took time to defend your God's blunder in an unfortunate way, you are not fair to yourself
Re: Buhari's Townhall Interview: A Recap By Temitope Ajayi by FearGodinall: 2:16pm On Jan 17, 2019
Since nobody is aking question on why the military have not gotten a dine even when the money was withdrawn from the ECA.On behalf of the Nigerian army, I will sacrificed to ensure whoever/wherever the money is, it must be used for the purpose it was withdrawn.
Re: Buhari's Townhall Interview: A Recap By Temitope Ajayi by SaiAtikuTill203: 2:29pm On Jan 17, 2019
ZOMBIES will die of heart attack on February 19 when pdp must have recorded resounding victory in KATSINA state and all through Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

60 Killed In Deadliest Boko Haram Attack On Rann, Borno – Amnesty International / I Will Make Lagos The Commercial Capital Of Africa- Atiku / Peter Obi’s Dictatorial Past Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.