Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,142 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian (29609 Views)

Pictures Of Some Beautiful Places In Dubai, United Arab Emirates / ‘Di Asa’ Winner, PM, kicked off Emirates flight to Dubai for being too Fat / Random Photos Of Istanbul Turkey From The Lens Of My J2 Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 23, 2019
I dint take so many pictures today because i was (and still am) very tired. embarassed But we went to the Gold souk.
"Souk" is arabic for market, so the Gold souk is literally a market where gold is sold. There are shops selling diamonds and other items as well but it is widely referred to as the Dubai Gold souk

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 23, 2019
More

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 23, 2019
chiboy1116:
it's actually cheap
Yes o....very.
Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 23, 2019
wow. Gold store! The place is fyn oh. U no wan reach burj khalifa?

4 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 23, 2019
Dmpaul:
wow. Gold store! The place is fyn oh. U no wan reach burj khalifa?
We're taking it turn by turn. I'll post pix when we visit Burj Khalifa smiley

9 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 23, 2019
There's a man who has a shop in Deira, he is a native Indian but is referred to as Papa Nigeria. This man speaks Yoruba. He even knows few words in Igbo and Hausa. This picture is from his shop.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jan 23, 2019
We entered a fabric shop today and all through our stay these guys played Nigerian music only. There was Collabo by Psquare, there was also a track with Tiwa Savage on it and several others i can't remember.
This is how one of them asked us what we wanted; grin grin

Which one do you want? Is it Atiku, Tinubu, Fashola or APC?

I'm not joking grin Those were his exact words.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 23, 2019
ok, anticipating with 4g network.
ariketalks:

We're taking it turn by turn. I'll post pix when we visit Burj Khalifa smiley
btw, if i be u i no go cum back, especially dis election period. I go just 4rm dia japa.

1 Like

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Jarus(m): 8:08pm On Jan 23, 2019
UAE is an extremely nice country. I enjoy it. I have holidayed there 4 times in the last 6 years.

17 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Jarus(m): 8:11pm On Jan 23, 2019
MissSweet:
Did some research in the past and found out 10percent of people living in Dubai are native citizen while the remaining 90 percents are Indians and foreigners.

Yes. There are more Indians in Dubai (and UAE) than there are Emiratis (citizens). Actually, you hardly come across their citizens anywhere - you tend to see them in those exotic shopping malls etc.

15 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Jarus(m): 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2019
ariketalks:
Earlier in the day, we passed by a shop that sells nuts, dried fruits and sweets. Everything from peanuts to pistachios, chocolate to candy, apricot to pineapples. These kind of items are priced per kilogram but you aren't obligated to purchase an entire kilogram. You can always buy less but the least seems to be quarter of a kilogram.
I bought a quarter kilo of dried apricots yesterday. Cost me 7AED but that thing tastes awful. lipsrsealed

I think I know here in Deira. Not very far from that gold souk. I used to buy the nuts too, like it

In many shops in Deira, many shop keepers speak smattering Hausa and Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 23, 2019
3 interesting facts about Dubai
Cats:
Cats just happen to pop up anywhere. Unlike Nigeria where you are more likely to spot a dog while walking down the streets, you will hardly find any dogs here. To be honest, i haven't seen even one dog since we arrived.
Cats on the other hand are a regular. Finding two stray cats along the road won't make people bat their eyelids.

Fine:
The taxi driver stopped us from eating cucumber inside the cab today. His reason? That the police will actually fine us for eating in a cab. What?!! shocked

The Traders:
Regular people seem friendly but more interesting are the traders. They will persuade you well enough to buy from them and no matter how ridiculous or inhumane your negotiations are, they will not quarrel with you. Even if you end up leaving the shop without purchasing an item, they will bid you farewell without rude expressions.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Jarus(m): 8:26pm On Jan 23, 2019
ariketalks:
There's a man who has a shop in Deira, he is a native Indian but is referred to as Papa Nigeria. This man speaks Yoruba. He even knows few words in Igbo and Hausa. This picture is from his shop.

Gbam. I experienced this last year March when I last visited.

Took this picture of that Papa Nigeria shop.

It's close to the entrance of that Gold market.

Those guys speak Yoruba words

Kilode
Ade l'ode
Onbe (you dey jump i.e you're impatient)
Bawo ni
Alaroro
Etc

11 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jan 23, 2019
Jarus:

I think I know here in Deira. Not very far from that gold souk. I used to buy the nuts too, like it

In many shops in Deira, many shop keepers speak smattering Hausa and Yoruba.
Jarus:

Kilode
Ade l'ode
Bawo ni
Alaroro
Etc
Jarus:

Yes. There are more Indians in Dubai (and UAE) than there are Emiratis (citizens). Actually, you hardly come across their citizens anywhere - you tend to see then in those exotic shopping malls etc.
Everything you said is the truth.

10 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 23, 2019
Dmpaul:
ok, anticipating with 4g network.
btw, if i be u i no go cum back, especially dis election period. I go just 4rm dia japa.
Lmao grin
Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 23, 2019
na so nah.
ariketalks:
Lmao grin
u no dy read frontpage about all d bad tinz wey dy happen? Naija don dy hot oh. Me sef wan run.
Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 23, 2019
Jarus:

Kilode
Ade l'ode
Bawo ni
Alaroro
Etc
The man was even asking me Bawo ni and telling me You will reply "Mo wa" grin grin

4 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jan 23, 2019
Dmpaul:
na so nah.

u no dy read frontpage about all d bad tinz wey dy happen?
Naija don dy hot oh.
Me sef wan run.
It is well
Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 23, 2019
ariketalks:
It is well
Amen oh

1 Like

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Jarus(m): 9:08pm On Jan 23, 2019
ariketalks:

The man was even asking me Bawo ni amd telling me You will reply "Mo wa" grin grin

Same here. He called me alaroro when I was pricing his stuff.

He is an Indian. Never been to Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Rolly22(m): 9:19pm On Jan 23, 2019
ariketalks:
Here's what we had for dinner. ▪Grilled chicken ▪Salad ▪Unleavened bread ▪Fries ▪Mayonnaise
I had kiwi juice. (First time trying it)
The meal (excluding the Kiwi juice and Fries) cost 25AED
This is like #2,500 very cheap

5 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 24, 2019
Jarus:

Same here. He called me alaroro when I was pricing his stuff.

He is an Indian. Never been to Nigeria.
grin
Rolly22:

This is like #2,500 very cheap
Yes o. I even forgot to mention that it was a full chicken.

3 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 2:29am On Jan 24, 2019
ariketalks:

Average cost of hotels in Deira is 300AED a night [s](could be more or less, but quality may (or may not) differ)[/s] for single room. You won't have a problem finding hotels as they are everywhere. Just make sure you request to check out the room before paying (it is allowed).
Last thing, booking online is cheaper compared to turning up at the hotel to request a room. booking[dot]com is good. Hope this helps you.
Gr8mind07, i forgot to add that if you have to change from ₦ to AED, don't change all your money in Nigeria.
They told us Dollar was scarce so we had to change to AED straight away before coming, and the rates in Nigeria are quite high at 1AED to ₦110. Whereas, it is 1AED to ₦100 in Deira. I added pictures of the market where we exchanged currency in Deira but i'll confirm the name and post it here so you can locate it when you arrive. If i forget, please remind me.

8 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 24, 2019
ariketalks:

Gr8mind07, i forgot to add that if you have to change from ₦ to AED, don't change all your money in Nigeria.
They told us Dollar was scarce so we had to change to AED straight away before coming, and the rates in Nigeria are quite high at 1AED to ₦110. Whereas, it is 1AED to ₦100 in Deira. I added pictures of the market where we exchanged currency in Deira but i'll confirm the name and post it here so you can locate it when you arrive. If i forget, please remind me.

you mean it is advisable to take naira to UAE?
Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 5:09am On Jan 24, 2019
WinningSun:

you mean it is advisable to take naira to UAE?
Not exactly. There are several Nigerian men at Deira who accept bank transfer and they'll give you rhe AED equivalent right on the spot.(Just be careful who you trust) I heard it's best to change to dollars and convert to AED upon arrival. I'll try my best to gather more information then report back. Again, if i forget, please remind me.

7 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 5:11am On Jan 24, 2019
ariketalks:

Not exactly. There are several Nigerian men at Deira who accept bank transfer and they'll give you rhe AED equivalent right on the spot.(Just be careful who you trust) I heard it's best to change to dollars and convert to AED upon arrival. I'll try my best to gather more information then report back. Again, if i forget, please remind me.

thanks

2 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 5:52am On Jan 24, 2019
WinningSun:

thanks
Uwlc.
Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Shinner2010(m): 6:23am On Jan 24, 2019
interesting trend
Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Gr8mind07(m): 7:31am On Jan 24, 2019
[quote author=ariketalks post=75044995]
Average cost of hotels in Deira is 300AED a night [s](could be more or less, but quality may (or may not) differ)[/s] for single room. You won't have a problem finding hotels as they are everywhere. Just make sure you request to check out the room before paying (it is allowed).
Last thing, booking online is cheaper compared to turning up at the hotel to request a room. booking[dot]com is good. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the info.Its really helpful

1 Like

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Gr8mind07(m): 7:36am On Jan 24, 2019
[quote author=ariketalks post=75052732]

I appreciate all these info.Pls keep them coming and make sure you enjoy your trip to the peak.

4 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 24, 2019
[quote author=Gr8mind07 post=75055851][/quote]
I'm happy it's of value.
One more thing, before making deposit for any hotel, read the terms, and do NOT make full payment. Deposit first then balance up when checking out. Some have underlying problems they won't disclose and when you discover them yourself, they play the No refund card. Hotels are practically walking distance from one another (some are even opposite each other) so you will find another asap.
If you really have to make full payment, split your stay. What i mean is, if you intend staying 10 nights, tell them you're staying for 2 or 3 nights. That way you don't have too much money in their care in case something goes wrong. If you're comfortable with their service, you can extend. No business refuses extra money. smiley

7 Likes

Re: See The United Arab Emirates Through The Lens Of A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 24, 2019
Shinner2010:
interesting trend
Thank you for following smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Car Burning On 3rd Mainland Bridge In Lagos (Video) / 2 US Army Helicopters Crash, Killing 3 Soldiers, Injuring 1 (Photo) / This Is The Longest Cable-Stayed Bridge In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.