Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,512 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash (22469 Views)

Tears As Presidency Sealed Saraki’s Fate In 15 Minutes - Eyewitness' Report / Tears As Gov. Wike Visits Ogoni Killings Arena - Photos / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by SSaemoenl(m): 11:32pm On Aug 16, 2010
Federal govt. should do something about this illegal police collection point called checkpoint over the federation. Lives are loss daily on this rubbish force called POLICE. angry sad
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by mrofficial(m): 11:59pm On Aug 16, 2010
cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Fr3Gaza(m): 7:47am On Aug 17, 2010
@Goldcircle:

Get real man. You seriously believe only 15 persons died just because CNN reported so? Or you feel its just 20?

I dont know why you feel things are being blown out of proportion, havent you seen the amount of vehicles destroyed? Around 20!

So somehow you think each vehicle had a single person inside or none at all, to justify that 15/20 deaths you believe occured?

There were two buses involved my friend, fully loaded buses, which certainly the passengers inside would account for more than 20 deaths!

I believe the total number of deaths could be anywhere around 50/60, given the number of destroyed cars.

So Chief, nothing's been blown out of proportion. If you even know the Nigerian media well, you'll know they tend to reduce the number of casualties involved in these sort of incidents. Government orders.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Remii(m): 7:56am On Aug 17, 2010
Why, why why do Police Chief have to lie, even shamelessly the other time Ribadu was in Nigeria to pay homage to Gani after death, IGP denied his entering Nigeria even when he was a wanted man and the visit was shown on TV. Now police is saying no policemen was at the scene of this accident and the FRSC is saying 5 policemen perished. Can't they wait to get their facts right before making a statement as done in civilised lands?

http://leadershipnigeria.com/news/cover-stories/19045-three-soldiers-five-policemen-perished
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by bones1(m): 9:02am On Aug 17, 2010
Two lessons to be learnt (I hope):-

1. Police authorities should stop the indiscriminate setting up of road blocks and stop and search sites; if they have to be done they should take cognisance of the stopping distances/s required by vehicles of all categories to slow down. There should be warning signs on the approach to a road block !

2. A proper re think has to be done about authorities in allowing vehicles ply our roads without undergoing MOT tests. I believe if vehicles are made to undergo proper and strict MOT tests, say every six months, it will eventually raise the level of road worthiness of the vehicles on the road and make them safer. It just is not right, safe or proper for heavy duty vehicles, including trailers to be plying our roads with brakes that do not work - is a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen !
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by SHEAU(m): 9:13am On Aug 17, 2010
God will punish FRANK MBA for telling lies anytime this type of incident happens,
i dont blame him if one of his relative was a victim he wouldnt be saying this if not saying the truth. S.t.u.p.id PRO cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Carlosein(m): 9:39am On Aug 17, 2010
When will things like these end?
Those who ought to protect lives and properties are contributing to its loss.

May their souls rest in peace.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Hubcool: 9:40am On Aug 17, 2010
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Jencejyde(m): 9:58am On Aug 17, 2010
Naija, naija, naija, Only in naija. Na wa oh.

May God have mercy on the souls that were lost.

But men it's a crazy country and yet we want to celebrate 50 years of independence , more like foolishness

What happens to the culprits? is there any investigation going on? will anyone or group of persons be held responsible? after a couple of weeks everything dies down and nothing is solved or uncovered, What a Shame, and we still believe we are the giants of Africa
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Maxidoe(m): 10:24am On Aug 17, 2010
It is a shame and very pathetic, over 60 people where burnt beyond recognition, and no one would go to jail for that, illegal roadblock was setup on a busy highway, not for any reasonable purpose, but to collect money from road users, the Nigerian police is completely useless.Someone here said it is been blown out of proportion am sorry to say you dont know what you are saying.I witnessed it, a danfo bus burnt with 18 passengers, a toyota seina burn with 8 people inside,a jeep with a family of 5 all burnt beyond recognition, another car had a child burnt inside after the parents escaped, this number is just that of 4 cars, yet over 20 cars burnt and you said it is been blown out of proportion, so guy do the maths.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by matiltomd(f): 10:30am On Aug 17, 2010
GoldCircle:

It is indeed a tragedy! But wait o! Why our papers dey lie?? They like blowing every little detail they've got out of proportion. I followed the news of this accident through out on TV yesterday (Sunday) on NN@4 and and other electronic media and no one reported a death toll as high as twenty!. I was indeed very shocked to see screaming headlines on our Nigerian dailies this morning on my way to work! 40 FEARED KILLED! 42 Lives Wasted!!! and so on! c'mon. . . what would they gain by doing this? Just tell the truth the way it is!

Even CNN reported 15 people dead! http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/16/nigeria.crash/#fbid=D6CF9HwdL4m&wom=false

May they Rest in peace!

Nothing was blown out of proportion;in fact the Nigerian media played it down. 2 commercial buses equates 30pax;15 each(FRSC has stopped the from carrying 18),now add the private cars to that number,how did CNN come up with 15? You should disregard CNN's figures pls.
Back to the topic,i don't think we have a true police force in this country. Police chiefs deny on a daily basis that their men don't take bribe. When you travel on Lagos/Ibadan expressway, you'll definitely be stopped by at least 3 of their illegal "toll gates". Frank Mba knows he's a liar and he knows we know he's lying so let's just allow him enjoy himself before the cameras/midgets. Brake failure or not, the police checkpoint caused/worsened it! cry
The incident was pretty unfortunate;i remember my mum calling me that Sunday(I traveled to Ibadan from Lagos earlier). Her voice was shaking already;she was more than scared.
May the souls of the faithful departed,through the mercy of God rest in peace.  cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Pappij: 10:31am On Aug 17, 2010
@ All,

Do we still have leaders in this country
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by philip0906(m): 10:57am On Aug 17, 2010
Pappij:

@ All,

Do we still have leaders in this country
"Yes" cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by alamsdee: 11:11am On Aug 17, 2010
can u imagine!!!! the big old foolish fool is planning to celebrate 50 yrs of gross stupidity
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Busybody2(f): 11:53am On Aug 17, 2010
matiltom_d:

. . . The incident was pretty unfortunate;i remember my mum calling me that Sunday(I traveled to Ibadan from Lagos earlier). Her voice was shaking already;she was more than scared.
May the souls of the faithful departed,through the mercy of God rest in peace. cry

And this is the scariest part, IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE. I MEAN NATIVES, FOREIGNERS, EXPATS, RETURNEES, NID'S ON A VISIT, YOUNG, OLD, INFIRMED, BABIES, ETC, AND ITS OCCURENCE IS ON THE INCREASE. GOD HELP US embarassed
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by oluite(f): 12:02pm On Aug 17, 2010
The sad thing is that after some days this will be forgotten.How many lives have been lost by Police Check/Trailer related accidents over the years?
I remember my own experience some years back.The trailer had obviously lost control,any experienced person should have obviously seen that but NO the police and some local govt people put sticks with massive nails on it to force the trailer to stop.The trailer swerved to avoid it and was coming for the stationary vehicle(which had just broke down near the check point).I was inside and rushed out when i saw the trailers intent.The trailer driver seeing me rushing out knew the bus was loaded and swerved again towards the trees where some passengers where taking shed from the hot sun.It was a close call that day interestingly the police had VANISHED without bothering to find out if there were casualties.A friend died in her car when an overloaded trailer fell on her car. I am sure many Nigerians have had close calls involving trailers/police check point Yet we have refused to develop our RAIL system,we have refused to LIMIT the movements of these trailers(they always seem to have brake problems) and our police force have refused to learn to stop creating traffic bottlenecks in the name of collecting N50.When we will see the LIGHT in this country?How many more lives need to be wasted before we get it RIGHT?
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by OboBoco(f): 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2010
FRANK MBA, OR WHAT EVER YOUR NAME IS, angry angry angry angry
STOP LYING TO NIGERIANS
WHAT DO YOU TAKE US FOR ??
A BUNCH OF RETARDS LIKE YOURSELF THAT DON'T KNOW A POLICE UNIFORM WHEN WE SEE IT?
that you are saying there was no check point at the place,
OR THAT WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO MATHS
TO KNOW THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT WERE BURNT ?
WE DID NOT FOLLOW YOU TO YOUR NIGHT SCHOOL  angry angry angry angry
FOOLISH FOOL. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

@ TOPIC
MAY THE SOUL'S OF THE DEPARTED R.I.P.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Jencejyde(m): 12:07pm On Aug 17, 2010
oluite:

The sad thing is that after some days this will be forgotten.How many lives have been lost by Police Check/Trailer related accidents over the years?
I remember my own experience some years back.The trailer had obviously lost control,any experienced person should have obviously seen that but NO the police and some local govt people put sticks with massive nails on it to force the trailer to stop.The trailer swerved to avoid it and was coming for the stationary vehicle(which had just broke down near the check point).I was inside and rushed out when i saw the trailers intent.The trailer driver seeing me rushing out knew the bus was loaded and swerved again towards the trees where some passengers where taking shed from the hot sun.It was a close call that day interestingly the police had VANISHED without bothering to find out if there were casualties.A friend died in her car when an overloaded trailer fell on her car. I am sure many Nigerians have had close calls involving trailers/police check point Yet we have refused to develop our RAIL system,we have refused to LIMIT the movements of these trailers(they always seem to have brake problems) and our police force have refused to learn to stop creating traffic bottlenecks in the name of collecting N50.When we will see the LIGHT in this country?How many more lives need to be wasted before we get it RIGHT?
How sad, cry
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by redsun(m): 12:21pm On Aug 17, 2010
The only thing that ignorance brings is preventable catastrophe.Nigerian live on the edge and expect things to be normal.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by sayso: 12:22pm On Aug 17, 2010
shameless country
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by alldone(m): 12:46pm On Aug 17, 2010
Oh no this is terrible.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by fxskye: 1:39pm On Aug 17, 2010
Hummm! Our undeserable Black Uniform Men.

Let's ask a question from the IG. When will his men stop collecting the unlawful Fifty, Fifty Naira from motorists at their so-called checkpoints?

I dont think it can be stopped. Because, they get returns up to the National Headquarter of the Force. So, I'm not surprised that Mba is coverring up his men.

May their souls rest in peace. May God give all the families of those that were involved a fortitude to bear the irrecoverable loss.

Beta Soon 9ja!
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by lazywealth(m): 2:02pm On Aug 17, 2010
We need God to safe us from these people Oh dey no go hear word
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by spikedcylinder: 2:23pm On Aug 17, 2010
It's a bloody shame.
I listened in two mornings ago as Frank Mba called a radio show to state that the accident was not the fault of the police because he checked the 'duty roaster' and he did not find any police officers assigned to that check point hence, there was no police and no check point there in the first place. OUTRIGHTLY DENYING THAT THE ACCIDENT WAS CAUSED BY THE POLICE AND THEIR ILLEGAL CHECK POINTS!
Bloody disappointing comments from the man. So sad. May those souls rest.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2010
Reading Frank Mba's lips from all his pronouncements on this tragic incident, I can tell that the policemen who mounted that illegal checkpoint (and ran away as soon as the tragedy occurred) are not going to be punished.

In fact, nobody is going to get punished for their criminal behaviour. The police are actually getting used to committing heinous crimes and getting away with it. How the hell can this country get any better?

The other day one SARS squad leader insisted they would have killed me for not pulling over for them at 12:00 am in the night for stop & search. No provocation from me, I didn't attack them or anything, they did not identify themselves as policemen. They could have been armed robbers for all I knew. But he insisted because he knew he could get away with it.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by snthesis(m): 3:56pm On Aug 17, 2010
first of all i feel you guys are getting the wrong picture- dis like saying guns kill people- wen knowing fully well dat "people kill people"
if you conduct a proper root cause analysis, you would discover that the police is/was never the cause of the accident.
the fault lies solely on the driver/ owner of the vehicle for not properly maintaining his vehicle or perhaps the driver was not well trained- the police didnt cause the vehicles brake system to fail- lack of maintenace/inproper use caused it.
and in conclusion a check point actually reduces speed-
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 4:28pm On Aug 17, 2010
snthesis:

first of  all i feel you guys are getting the wrong picture- dis like saying guns kill people- wen knowing fully well dat "people kill people"
if you conduct a proper root cause analysis, you would discover that the police is/was never the cause of the accident.
the fault lies solely on the driver/ owner of the vehicle for not properly maintaining his vehicle or perhaps the driver was not well trained- the police didnt cause the vehicles brake system to fail- lack of maintenace/inproper use caused it.
and in conclusion a check point actually reduces speed-

Did you go to school at all?! There wasn't supposed to be a checkpoint at that spot in the first instance! That period was not rush hour, it was a Sunday, traffic was supposed to be light on that road! The tanker driver would have coasted to a stop or crashed into the median or something, if not for the artificial traffic jam caused by the police toll-point.

Do you feel comfortable parking in the middle of the express just so some greedy policemen can ask you for weekend money, when someone with failed brakes might be bearing down on you at high speed? Brakes can fail at any time, most of these components are substandard or outright fakes, and you won't know it until the last minute! Those policemen willfully created a hazardous situation, that particular checkpoint was an accident waiting to happen considering the volume of articulated truck traffic on that road. Choose one night and drive from Alapere through to Mowe/Ibafo between 8:00 & 12:00 am, come back and tell us your experience, that route is choke full of articulated vehicles, that's their route! That's why the policemen are there, to extort money from those guys!   

Why is the Force PRO denying the presence of the police checkpoint if he knew they were doing the right thing as you claim? Why didn't the police officers wait around and assist with the rescue effort? Why did they run away? They know their hands are covered with the blood of the victims!
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Oba234: 4:43pm On Aug 17, 2010
the people that are running nigeria are full of I.D.I.O.T.S
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 17, 2010
start posting on our campaigning president's facebook page maybe he will find time out of his billion billion spending schedule to do something
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by ud4u: 4:55pm On Aug 17, 2010
Nigeria Police cry cry cry

RIP
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by CGKing(m): 5:13pm On Aug 17, 2010
Either of 3things. Either it was caused by a failed brake or the disobedience of the driver or the police block. We dont know which is true.

We know that disobedient drivers have been causing alot of accidents. why cant they just obey even if they will part with N20? What a nation. Nigerians will always blame the police, just as bad guys keep blaming the devil for the things they do.
Re: Tears As 40 Persons Roast To Death In Multiple Auto Crash by kobikwelu(m): 5:35pm On Aug 17, 2010
election don dey reach
undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CAN Blasts El-rufai For Jesus Comment On Twitter / I Want To Succeed Elechi Because I’ve Invested And It Is My Turn To Chop” -Umahi / Boko Haram Attacks Will Be Over Soon, Says Buhari.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.