Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,934 members, 7,814,171 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads (28965 Views)

NNPC Seeks Private Companies To Operate Port Harcourt Refinery / President Buhari Signs Executive Order 11 (Full Text & Photos) / Is Nigeria The Costliest Place In The World To Build Roads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 25, 2019
Very great move by Mr President. Working hand In hand with the private sector during valuation would go a long way to curb inflates figures.

Tax rebates are a good pay back

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by kelvd4real(m): 5:04pm On Jan 25, 2019
banty:
it's as simple as selling off the nation if you know you know

They don't own the road, so how did you arrive at "selling off the nation"?
It seems many Nigerians just see every issue from a partisan standpoint. There is a clear part of the statement that says this "The new order will allow private companies such as the Dangote Group, Unilver, and Lafarge Africa construct major roads across the country and be paid in the form of tax credit."
Just in case you do not understand what tax credit means, i will try to explain it as simple as it is.
Assuming Dangote company chooses to build a Federal road that leads to one of his place of interest or any road at all. The company appraoches the Federal government to make their intention know. Costing and other assessments are done to determine how much it should cost to build the road and agreement on the cost, quality and modalities like payback agreements are reached between both parties. Then Dangote proceeds to build the road.
Lets say the road cost Dangote company N1 billion naira to build. That amount is then deducted from the Tax that Dangote company is suppose to pay to the Federal government.
So, if Dangote Company is supposed to Pay a tax of N1.5 billion naira as tax for 2019 and the built a road that cost N1 billion for that same year, they will only have to pay the balance of N500 million as tax to Federal government for 2019.
This is what is known as Tax Credit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Jason007: 5:04pm On Jan 25, 2019
In the dying minutes to election. Desperate times.
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 25, 2019
What is wrong with this country??
People here praising the president for signing one bill?? i.e ,doing his job.
Besides it's not like he signed a bill that will make Nigeria a developed country.
Like the bill will automatically fix all roads in the country, inject 100k MW into the power grid, get rid of corrupt politicians and police men, make our hospitals world class and everything....
Bleep this shit...
Outta here

Modified; who turned my f*ck this sh*t into bleep this poo??
What dah heck is bleep this poo.??
I'm trying to swear myself to death and it comes out like a line from a lullaby!!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jan 25, 2019
This is a good development

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by ogbonti: 5:06pm On Jan 25, 2019
Buhari is a Tribalist, a Jihadist, a Regionalist, a Dullard, a Du nce, an illieterate, a Kwarapt Lifeless impostor!!!!
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by freemanbubble: 5:06pm On Jan 25, 2019
Bluffly:

Private companies can so it. Forget the big amounts usually quoted by Governments as the are filled with deals.

You sounds like some one who have not worked in a government project
Requesting for the service of expatriate alone will run dangote down
See you can't account for government money.
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by taurusmena1(m): 5:06pm On Jan 25, 2019
I'm not a supporter of this failed government but this is surely a welcome development
Pharaoh350s:
Leaving your duty for others
Like for ATIKU
Share for BUHARI

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Butoneday2(m): 5:06pm On Jan 25, 2019
Rubbish! Arrant nonsense? So i should go and build federal road with my hard earned money and they will be busy squandering our oil money. Thunder fire una for that place.
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by baralatie(m): 5:07pm On Jan 25, 2019
Ademat7:

It exist presently but discos will use politics to strangle them out of existence
what I am aware of is that private investors can build power plants in excess of 10mw for its own use.If it is greater then they will have to involve a whole lot of stake holders and still it is for their own use.
the current stance is that if you build a 350mw power to supply an estate like Oregun the discos MUST be involved.
I am thinking of granting autonomous powers to generate and distribute your own powers( with fg consent of course). although these our private will make price of power sky rocket
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by holuwasheyiWGP(m): 5:10pm On Jan 25, 2019
This idea is amazing but I hope they build quality roads and the government check these roads before giving them tax credit cus the aim of these private firm is maximum profit

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by GentleMoney: 5:10pm On Jan 25, 2019
millionboi2:
This will increase nepotism

Hmm
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Oolawepo(m): 5:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
Femsyn:
President Muhammadu Buhari has signed and executive order allowing private companies build federal roads in the country.

The Executive Order 007 2019, signed by the president, is on Road Infrastructure Development and Refurbishment Investment Tax Credit Scheme.

The president signed the order on Friday inside the council chamber of State House, Abuja.

The new order will allow private companies such as the Dangote Group, Unilver, and Lafarge Africa construct major roads across the country and be paid in the form of tax credit.

Nigeria ranks 11th on the list of countries with the world’s worst road quality and network, according go the Global Competitive Index of 2018.

Under federal laws, public roads are constructed and maintained by the government, but poor funding has seen key roads left unattended to for years, causing car accidents.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/307943-breaking-buhari-signs-executive-order-allowing-private-companies-to-build-federal-roads.html
That is it, private should run the economy. That's it.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by SalamRushdie: 5:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
SEONaijaExpert:

Present your case rather than calling me out. I just did mine.

From where I am sitting I can already see the flaws from here

First and foremost if private companies are going to be responsible for building public infrastructure what's now the role of the govt?

1: It will encourage dereliction of duties by the govt as concerns infrastructure and opportunities for ministry head to loot their capital budget .. we made this same mistake with the police when governor's started buying equipment for the police thereby allowing the police loot all budget already assigned for this.

2 : It will be used as an avenue for smart tax evasion by a lot of companies who will connive with tax officials to overvalue projects and deduct such from their tax liabities , we will also see them connive and declare non existent projects all just to dodge tax.

3 : It will great a new line of corruption for tax officials and ministry of works supervisors who will use it to connive and enrich themselves

4: The quality of the roads will also be in question as we see dubious companies deliver very substandard road just to save cost and dupe the country of taxes .

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
baralatie:
This is a great idea ™build a federal road for tax rebates".
Let fg now talk about pushing this to the National Assembly to inject it into law.
also how about private firms building "power centers in excess of 350mw" have distribution controls

This is an executive order and does not require the national assembly.

An executive order is already law
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 25, 2019
SalamRushdie:

From where I am sitting I can already see the flaws from here

First and foremost if private companies are going to be responsible for building public infrastructure what's now the role of the govt?

1: It will encourage dereliction of duties by the govt as concerns infrastructure and opportunities for ministry head to loot their capital budget .. we made this same mistake with the police when governor's started buying equipment for the police thereby allowing the police loot all budget already assigned for this.

2 : It will be used as an avenue for smart tax evasion by a lot of companies who will connive with tax officials to overvalue projects and deduct such from their tax liabities , we will also see them connive and declare non existent projects all just to dodge tax.

3 : It will great a new line of corruption for tax officials and ministry of works supervisors who will use it to connive and enrich themselves

4: The quality of the roads will also be in question as we see dubious companies deliver very substandard road just to save cost and dupe the country of taxes .

You are talking nonsense.

The FG will of course work with such companies to avoid all you jus listed.

Do you think they will just allow the companies to work without supervision?

The only area the FG will not be involved would be in the financial aspect.
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by heendrix(m): 5:17pm On Jan 25, 2019
lomprico:

Egg or tomato?

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by yrex01(m): 5:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
Best decision ever. Walahi no looters n selfish Nigerian can love this man 4 wat he's doing. May God continue to bless him n Nigeria. We'll get der very soon. 4+4 z d surest !!!
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by heendrix(m): 5:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
kelvd4real:

They don't own the road, so how did you arrive at "selling off the nation"?
It seems many Nigerians just see every issue from a partisan standpoint. There is a clear part of the statement that says this "The new order will allow private companies such as the Dangote Group, Unilver, and Lafarge Africa construct major roads across the country and be paid in the form of tax credit."
Just in case you do not understand what tax credit means, i will try to explain it as simple as it is.
Assuming Dangote company chooses to build a Federal road that leads to one of his place of interest or any road at all. The company appraoches the Federal government to make their intention know. Costing and other assessments are done to determine how much it should cost to build the road and agreement on the cost, quality and modalities like payback agreements are reached between both parties. Then Dangote proceeds to build the road.
Lets say the road cost Dangote company N1 billion naira to build. That amount is then deducted from the Tax that Dangote company is suppose to pay to the Federal government.
So, if Dangote Company is supposed to Pay a tax of N1.5 billion naira as tax for 2019 and the built a road that cost N1 billion for that same year, they will only have to pay the balance of N500 million as tax to Federal government for 2019.
This is what is known as Tax Credit.

see we still hv best heads here.....Bless ya bro
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by yrex01(m): 5:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
Best decision ever. Walahi no looters n selfish Nigerian can love this man 4 wat he's doing. May God continue to bless him n Nigeria. We'll get der very soon. 4+4 z d surest !!!
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by SalamRushdie: 5:21pm On Jan 25, 2019
Tetehjewels:

You are talking nonsense.

The FG will of course work with such companies to avoid all you jus listed.

Do you think they will just allow the companies to work without supervision?

The only area the FG will not be involved would be in the financial aspect.

The same FG that cannot supervise its own projects , the same FG that cannot control the quality and behavior of its policemen < the same Fg that cannot control the quality of service DISCOS are rendering..Abeg say another thing ..This is how you argued AIR Nigeria with me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by fyneguy: 5:22pm On Jan 25, 2019
banty:
it's as simple as selling off the nation if you know you know

Are you a secondary school pupil? if Yes, I can excuse this
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Shegun911(m): 5:25pm On Jan 25, 2019
freemanbubble:
Isorigtt
Can private sector build a street road not to talk of federal government road

If you have worked in any government projects then you will realise that individual or private companies can't single handedly carry out such task except government should assist them.

Nigeria government dey use money mennnnn. Don't be deceived with the amounts used in awarding any project. When the project starts billions will go down

Worked in ihovbor electrical power plant in Edo state
The money been used in day alone runs into billions
Even dangote won't dare to release such money for five years.

Even if any private organisation should do it then proper investigation will reveal that government is assisting them.
They can't they will run out of cash
[s]
freemanbubble:
Isorigtt

If you have worked in any government projects then you will realise that individual or private companies can't single handedly carry out such task except government should assist them.

Nigeria government dey use money mennnnn. Don't be deceived with the amounts used in awarding any project. When the project starts billions will go down

Even if any private organisation should do it then proper investigation will reveal that government is assisting them.
[/s]
freemanbubble:
Isorigtt

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by fyneguy: 5:26pm On Jan 25, 2019
gaby:
If indeed true, this will be a great step in the right direction. But the Government musn't be derilict in it's oversight or supervisory role through the relevant agencies to ensure standards are maintained uniformedly.

Ministry of Works will work on designs and other terms for such projects. It is a good policy. It addresses underfunding.
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by IMASTEX: 5:28pm On Jan 25, 2019
gaby:
If indeed true, this will be a great step in the right direction. But the Government musn't be derilict in it's oversight or supervisory role through the relevant agencies to ensure standards are maintained uniformedly.
The bolded is not achievable in Nigeria. The more reason the country is even backward.
Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 25, 2019
Pharaoh350s:
Leaving your duty for others
Like for ATIKU
Share for BUHARI

Some of you are so full of hate for others you are now always happy to cut your nose to spite your face. Nigeria does not even make 10% of the money it needs to develop her infrastructure like transport and power generation. We need to liberalise processes so that those who have the funds in the private sector can be encouraged to help develop our infrastructure in return for pecuniary rewards.

Yet you can complain against this ground-breaking initiative? Bruv, check yourself before you become so hateful you will even be happy to harm yourself just to maintain hate for others. This is the way forward for a cash-strapped nation that has serious infrastructural challenges it will need external funding to surmount an incredibly huge infrastructure deficit.

You guys are simply tiring and I can't say I am proud to call you a fellow Nigerian. Hate Buhari but give him credit where due. This is incredible political will and pro-people benevolence in a Nation where Presidents, year in year out, have ruined Nigeria by keeping important and profitable processes in the hands of cronies.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Buhari Signs Executive Order Allowing Private Companies To Build Roads by Ademat7(m): 5:32pm On Jan 25, 2019
baralatie:

what I am aware of is that private investors can build power plants in excess of 10mw for its own use.If it is greater then they will have to involve a whole lot of stake holders and still it is for their own use.
the current stance is that if you build a 350mw power to supply an estate like Oregun the discos MUST be involved.
I am thinking of granting autonomous powers to generate and distribute your own powers( with fg consent of course). although these our private will make price of power sky rocket
With prepaid meter,people will be able to afford it
Redemption camp has

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

*APGA, PDP Aspirants Panic Over Peter Obi, Maduka Romance / El-Rufai Visits Scene Of Bomb Explosion In Zaria, Kaduna (Photos) / Protest Against BEDC In Benin By Native Doctors, Others (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.