Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,953 members, 7,828,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm - Agriculture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm (195168 Views)

Today I Went To Work On My Pepper Farm (video/pictures) / My Pepper Planting Challenge / Fresh Pepper Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Olobojay(m): 10:30pm On Oct 16, 2019
jidestroud:

I can't get a clear view. Is it just a selected few, the few leaves you zoom in to snap or the whole plant itself? Nevertheless, you've got white leaf spot on your hand boss mi. And from the first picture sef, I could almost diagnose TeMV from the first picture but it blurry. That's all.

Oh yes, you asked for solution grin
Well, it really nothing to worry about. Was wondering why you bombarded with so much lethal force. shocked . although, all you applied should work. But this is what I do to my Fluted Pumpkin;

1. Get an hybrid variety from a good source.
2. Plant the good quality seeds only. You can even treat seeds before planting.
3. Soil preparation before planting is vital. I make sure I apply enough manure to improve soil before planting the good seeds.
4. Use adequate spacing when planting.
5. Whichever method you use (though I preach only organic), just make sure to wade off pest to zero tolerance. Since you clearly stated it's a trail, why not try out neem oil or it mixture. It works well by inhibiting the spores of the fungus from germinating.
6. In your case, try removing all affected leaves, remove all debris. I do this most times for free air circulation.

I guess that's all. But for the TeMV bros, simply remove plant biko.
How can I get quality/hybrid pumpkin seed?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:30pm On Oct 16, 2019
Jove2012:

please I am still waiting for answers regarding this. thanks in anticipation
I hav used expired imidacloprid insecticide with no problem. Just test it on few plants and observe for 1wk before going largescale.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:59am On Oct 17, 2019
Edmagr:
@everyone, do anyone have an idea on how to get/make cheap and reusable containers for pepper nursery? am thinking of using big bottle water containers or buying the black plastic plant bags. But in all am looking for something i can make in house (DIY) and reusable..any ideas?
Invest in nursery tray, 128 cells for 500, I bought 25 pieces of this
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by OluchiDelly: 9:47am On Oct 17, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Invest in nursery tray, 128 cells for 500, I bought 25 pieces of this

But the cavity of 128 cells is very small, i used to think is mearnt for crops that can be transplanted within 2weeks such as cucumber.
can the small soil inside the cavity nurture pepper for about 7 weeks b4 transplanting?
Cc ogbongenet
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:57am On Oct 17, 2019
OluchiDelly:

But the cavity of 128 cells is very small, i used to think is mearnt for crops that can be transplanted within 2weeks such as cucumber.
can the small soil inside the cavity nurture pepper for about 7 weeks b4 transplanting?
Cc ogbongenet

The cavity isnt a problem when you're using cocopeats for your nursery .. 1 block of cocopeat is sold for 3500 to 4500 depending on your area.... 1 block can cover upto 30 pieces of nursery trays.. ... I'll send you a YouTube link on how it was done on blooming gardens ....

Seeds can stay in the nursery trays for up to 8 weeks at most

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8uHPRX3TA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBmgQXNpTY

Follow the link from this video.. I'll be starting my pepper farm this November.. and this Is how I plan to do my nursery

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:59am On Oct 17, 2019
And another benefit of using nursery trays is the ease of transplanting...

Cocopeats tends to retain more water than soil
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by OluchiDelly: 12:16pm On Oct 17, 2019
Psalmy2cute:
And another benefit of using nursery trays is the ease of transplanting...

Cocopeats tends to retain more water than soil
Thanks for the video. I know cocopeat wl do it for others but was skeptical about pepper with respect to d cavity.
Can u experiment with compost or mixture of manure n soil even if it 5 to 10 cells and lets know how long it can can sustain the pepper?
Have used bigger cells for cabbage n tomatoes wt good result, with mixture of manure n soil though.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Thanks for the video. I know cocopeat wl do it for others but was skeptical about pepper with respect to d cavity.
Can u experiment with compost or mixture of manure n soil even if it 5 to 10 cells and lets know how long it can can sustain the pepper?
Have used bigger cells for cabbage n tomatoes wt good result, with mixture of manure n soil though.
I'll do it with compost, if I have the chance.... I'll be starting my nursery with cocopeats early next month
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 2:31pm On Oct 17, 2019
Today I bought water pump from ministry of agriculture at the price of 35k

But sadly they dont have avenir f1 seed (rodo)
Infact it was as if the ladies there dont know what I was asking for..

I'm still in search for this seed, recommendation to where I can find this seed is very much appreciated

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by OluchiDelly: 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

I'm still in search for this seed, recommendation to where I can find this seed is very much appreciated

Lol, hybrids in govt ministries. They sell more of heirlooms. Any techinisem outlets wl do. Where are u base?
What's the HP of the new machine?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 3:38pm On Oct 17, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Lol, hybrids in govt ministries. They sell more of heirlooms. Any techinisem outlets wl do. Where are u base?
What's the HP of the new machine?
6.5HP
And I'm in abeokuta ogun state

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ogbongenet: 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2019
Hybrid seed at federal ministry ke,If you need F1 Avenir get in touch with me,im also at Abeokuta.
Psalmy2cute:

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 6:42pm On Oct 17, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

The cavity isnt a problem when you're using cocopeats for your nursery .. 1 block of cocopeat is sold for 3500 to 4500 depending on your area.... 1 block can cover upto 30 pieces of nursery trays.. ... I'll send you a YouTube link on how it was done on blooming gardens ....

Seeds can stay in the nursery trays for up to 8 weeks at most

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8uHPRX3TA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBmgQXNpTY

Follow the link from this video.. I'll be starting my pepper farm this November.. and this Is how I plan to do my nursery
I am not sure that a healthy hybrid pepper can stay 8 weeks(60 days)on a small tray,by this time the crop will already be flowering,the best way during that hot dry period is to do a well protected nursery and transplant into single grow bags to aviod transplant shock,if you transplant an 8 weeks old seedling from nursery tray with obvious exposed root ball during the hot period of January to February many will die.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:40pm On Oct 17, 2019
ogbongenet:
Hybrid seed at federal ministry ke,If you need F1 Avenir get in touch with me,im also at Abeokuta.
Pls what's your location?? I'm in okelantoro.. can we communicate of WhatsApp??
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:49pm On Oct 17, 2019
okoroemeka:
I am not sure that a healthy hybrid pepper can stay 8 weeks(60 days)on a small tray,by this time the crop will already be flowering,the best way during that hot dry period is to do a well protected nursery and transplant into single grow bags to aviod transplant shock,if you transplant an 8 weeks old seedling from nursery tray with obvious exposed root ball during the hot period of January to February many will die.
Well I dont know about 8 weeks but from the video and other research I've made 6 weeks is more than enough to transfer from the seedling tray..

So I plan to do my transplant at most 5 to 6 weeks.. I also saw other bigger trays one can transplant to if field is not ready for the crop.. but last last .. everything nah money alot of money.. so I dont really find those useful.. plastic cups and takeaway plates are also available.... but I just kinda like the idea of seedling tray..
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:52pm On Oct 17, 2019
Imagine someone telling me to come buy 1000 hybrid peppers at the rate of 22k today .. he said he'll show me the pepper output from in hes greenhouse in sagamu..
That the peppers are imported that's why they're so expensive..

My response to him was "oga every form of hybrid pepper in the country today are all imported.. and by doing this, hes not encouraging young people to get into farming"

I dont care if the pepper is special.. that price for 1000 seeds is just outrageous
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2019
So far I've been able to purchase the most challenging items for the farm..
If I'm able to get the avenir f1 seed and cocopeat befor the end of next week.. then I'm good to start my nursery by next month

2 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:09pm On Oct 17, 2019
okoroemeka:
Do you advice sprouting seeds with the wet towel method before planting.. or just plant direct after soaking the seeds for 12 to 24 hours?

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:16pm On Oct 17, 2019
ogbongenet:
Pls check I messaged you on whatsapp
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2019
Psalmy2cute:
Imagine someone telling me to come buy 1000 hybrid peppers at the rate of 22k today .. he said he'll show me the pepper output from in hes greenhouse in sagamu..
That the peppers are imported that's why they're so expensive..

My response to him was "oga every form of hybrid pepper in the country today are all imported.. and by doing this, hes not encouraging young people to get into farming"

I dont care if the pepper is special.. that price for 1000 seeds is just outrageous

There are seeds like that. If I were you, I would listen to him, check out the output, and do my calculation. But you ran away as soon as you heard the price. If you do not change that habit, you will stay with 1970 tech. Let me explain why some seeds are expensive.

1. Seeds produced for Africans are cheap seeds. Not quality. Except the company decides to have a charity research centre in Africa. Or there is subsidy aiding it. But is Africa cursed with always wanting subsidy?

2. If you are a business man, will you want to produce for people who will price you down? Arent farmers complaining about low price of their products? The same with seeds. But really, there are some importers that still import rubbish and put terrible prices on the products.

3. Go and check the internet and look at good companies. Check out the retail prices. Dont let me give you prices here.

These seeds you get in Africa are mostly from Asia which are 3rd or 4th grades. Yeah. Technisem and some are trying by setting up branches in Africa. But is Africa good for vegetable seeds business? There is no much profit in it.

These seeds that are cheap cn even be GMOs. And it's why they are cheap. And they deceive you that they are hybrid. It was why I commented on a thread. But I guess the person I replied too have experienced it.

Do you understand cross pollination? It isn't an easy task to cross pollinate. Ordinary pruning, farmers do not want to do it. They hate it. Not to talk of cross pollination. But importers just bring Asian products for you. Well, maybe there are cheap labor there, but the truth is that they know Africa has no check. So, they can bring anything here.

1,000 seeds of most Hazera tomato seeds in Nigeria are around N15,000 minimum. Some are more. The 2019 new breeds of Hazera for some parts of Hawaii are not in Nigeria. I saw some varieties they produced for Hawaii and some other hot part. I cannot even buy them myself cos they are not for my region, but I had to use someone from the region to get me the seeds (still they send their cheapest option to Africa....lol). Custom was not easy on me too. To cut the story short, landing cost was 85 naira for 1 seed. And I was just thinking 5 days ago that will this cultivar worth it? But pilot has started. I am already preparing for 2020/2021 tomato. This is my life. I move ahead of most farmers. I know that these kind of seeds will enter Nigerian market maybe in 2023 or 2026 Lol.

For me to move ahead, this is the price I pay. I may later find a way to move it in cheaper. But the first sets are always expensive. If you see the review of the variety, you will open your mouth and not close it. I am.still working on it.

Bro, any young guy who loves himself should not stay with those old farmers. The young boy also should not follow consultants who will just fake from him. But should be open minded.

The truth is good seeds aren't cheap these days. I am going to be honest with you.

I am going to repeat. Most cheap seeds are traps.

4 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2019
Pistotita:

There are seeds like that. If I were you, I would listen to him, check out the output, and do my calculation. But you are running away as soon as you hear the price. If you do not change that habit, you will stay with 1970 tech. Let me explain why some seeds are expensive.

1. Seeds produced for Africans are cheap seeds. Not quality. Except the company decides to have a research charity centre in Africa. Or there is subsidy on it. But is Africa cursed with always wanting subsidy?

2. If you are a business man, will you want to produce for people who will price you down? Arent farmers complaining about low price of their products? The same with seeds. But really, there are some importers that still import rubbish and put terrible prices on the products.

3. Go and check the internet and look at good companies. Check out the retail prices. Dont let me give you prices here.

These seeds you get in Africa are mostly from Asia which are 3rd or 4th grades. Yeah. Technisem and some are trying by setting up branches in Africa. But is Africa good for vegetable seeds business? There is no much profit in it.

These seeds that are cheap cn even be GMOs. And it's why they are cheap. And they deceive you that they are hybrid. It was why I commented on a thread. But I guess the person I replied too have experienced it.

Do you understand cross pollination? It isn't an easy task to cross pollinate. Ordinary pruning, farmers do not want to do it. They hate it. Not to talk of cross pollination. But importers just bring Asian products for you. Well, maybe there are cheap labor there, but the truth is that they know Africa has no check. So, they can bring anything here.

1,000 seeds of most Hazera tomato seeds in Nigeria are around N15,000 minimum. Some are more. The 2019 new breeds of Hazera for some parts of Hawaii are not in Nigeria. I saw some varieties they produced for Hawaii and some other hot part. I cannot even buy them myself cos they are not for my region, but I had to use someone from the region to get me the seeds (still they send their cheapest option to Africa....lol). Custom was not easy on me too. To cut the story short, landing cost was 85 naira for 1 seed. And I was just thinking 5 days ago that will this cultivar worth it? But pilot has started. I am already preparing for 2020/2021 tomato. This is my life. I move ahead of most farmers. I know that these kind of seeds will enter Nigerian market maybe in 2023 or 2026 Lol.

For me to move ahead, this is the price I pay. I may later find a way to move it in cheaper. But the first sets are always expensive. If you see the review of the variety, you will open your mouth and not close it. I am.still working on it.

Bro, any young guy who loves himself should not stay with those old farmers. The young boy also should not follow consultants who will just fake from him. But should be open minded.

The truth is good seeds aren't cheap these days. I am going to be honest with you.

I am going to repeat. Most cheap seeds are traps.
Ok, to cut things short, your advice is I should go for that seed 1000 thousand of it for 22k..

I may call him to reconsider hes options when I check out hes green house.. but for now.. this is a big NO as everything I do is on budget.. and I didnt budget upto 50g avenir of 30k..... not to talk of 22k for 1000 seeds .. that's just too high for me for a start.. I may check him out when I plan on cultivating the other half of my farm next year

2 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 17, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Ok, to cut things short, your advice is I should go for that seed 1000 thousand of it for 22k..

I may call him to reconsider hes options when I check out hes green house.. but for now.. this is a big NO as everything I do is on budget.. and I didnt budget upto 50g avenir of 30k..... not to talk of 22k for 1000 seeds .. that's just too high for me for a start.. I may check him out when I plan on cultivating the other half of my farm next year

You know that the example I gave you, I used tomato to explain; therefore, it was a concept I gave you. And do not get me wrong sir. I am not saying you should buy it, but go and investigate it. Do not let money push you away. When you see it, the picture will be impressed in your heart if it is worth it. And you may not have the money to buy it at the time. You may even buy that cheap variety at the time. But you will just realise that you are already nursing the ambition to step-up, and buy the seeds in the future.

But really, since it is habanero, the person will really do a good job to convince me too to buy it. Lol. I do not think it can impress me too. But I would still go check if I were you.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 10:48pm On Oct 17, 2019
Pistotita:

You know that the example I gave you, I used tomato to explain; therefore, it was a concept I gave you. And do not get me wrong sir. I am not saying you should buy it, but go and investigate it. Do not let money push you away. When you see it, the picture will be impressed in your heart if it is worth it. And you may not have the money to buy it at the time. You may even buy that cheap variety at the time. But you will just realise that you are already nursing the ambition to step-up, and buy the seeds in the future.

But really, since it is habanero, the person will really do a good job to convince me too to buy it. Lol. I do not think it can impress me too. But I would still go check if I were you.
I'll do just that.. I believe in practical.. I'll go check him out, first I want to be sure its not the same avenir f1 hybrid seed.. because that's what I suspect it is.. and even if I purchase it.. I'll take nothing more than 100 seeds if I can.. just to see if its really different from what we already have in the market..

I just have the feeling hes talking about the same avenir f1 hybrid seed.. I'm angry because I felt like he was trying to take advantage on my lack of knowledge on pepper farming... that's why I said people like him discourages young people trying to get into farming

4 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by numen(m): 12:34am On Oct 18, 2019
Bro, What's the name of the Hazera Tomato variety you purchased?

I thought they have a Nigerian rep or was there a particular reason you imported?

Cheers

Pistotita:

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 12:59am On Oct 18, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Do you advice sprouting seeds with the wet towel method before planting.. or just plant direct after soaking the seeds for 12 to 24 hours?
forget that wet towel method that is for hobby gardeners not commercial farmers,just soak your seed in water for at least 24hrs and do the nursery in a well protected area that will have the sides covered by net and the top covered by transparent nylon that will allow sunlight but will block rain,cover lightly with soil and use perforated plastic bottle for irrigation or knapsack filled with water.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by olawalepopoola: 3:53am On Oct 18, 2019
Dear all, I came across this thread. Interesting I must confess. Kudos to the writer. I am just planning to invest into agriculture and I think this would be a perfect start although I also have soft part for poultry, goat and pig rearing.
I want to suggest to the writer of this thread to produce a comprehensive ebook detailing the process of growing this plant from beginning to the end. Investing in such wouldn't be to much to make better money even if it 5k for the e-book.
Thanks so much.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 18, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

I'll do just that.. I believe in practical.. I'll go check him out, first I want to be sure its not the same avenir f1 hybrid seed.. because that's what I suspect it is.. and even if I purchase it.. I'll take nothing more than 100 seeds if I can.. just to see if its really different from what we already have in the market..

I just have the feeling hes talking about the same avenir f1 hybrid seed.. I'm angry because I felt like he was trying to take advantage on my lack of knowledge on pepper farming... that's why I said people like him discourages young people trying to get into farming

Of course, there are many sharks around. Most seeds sellers who are agents are hustlers who know absolutely nothing about the seeds they sell. Some just add ridiculous prices to their products without the knowledge of the company they work with. And they act like they sell at normal prices they were asked to sell. It is hustling in their eyes. To them, they are just providing food for their families. Lol

Well, we all started somewhere. I am sure the OP who started this thread started from somewhere too. Bro, do not let anyone frustrate you. This was my approach when I got started. You should be open minded to all. Also, be a negotiator. I love your new approach. Use style to find put the difference between the seed and Avenir. And truly, it may be Avenir. Lol. Of course, Avenir is still one of the best. I am even shocked 50g is still N30,000 because that was the proce I bought it like 2.5 years ago. The only issue about it is that it has no resistance to bacteria spot leaf disease. And that can be seriously disastrous. I was a victim of that on 1 ha of land. I was rattled that time because I did not expect it.

To be a pro in this industry, you must be ready to read theory. I know you believe in practical, but make sure you know the theory very well, and go try what you read. This is the way to keep yourself updated. This is how I update myself. Just saying one believes in practical and using 1950s technique learned from one old farmer is not the way out.

When you start opening yourself to ideas, you just shake your head at times and wonder what the so called consultants know. You will definitely hit yourself on the head and understand you were naive when you felt these consultants know. They dont know anything. I am telling you........ you can know more than many of them. Get your pilot ready, and follow up with this OP.

I dont expect you to start buying expensive seeds. Avenir is a good one. And since rain is wrapping of soon, you will be transplanting during dry season which is very ok for beginners. Of course, you should focus on it first. You will definitely get there.

Do not limit yourself to habanero. Chilli is also good for beginners. East west Demon F1 is a real demon which can frustrate you during harvest time. Ask anyone who has planted demon f1. You better be ready with women who will pluck pepper off that beast when it starts yielding. One of my friends employed 40 women to harvest his 1 acre, and they struggled to keep up with it. Please, start with a very small area.

Then, move into sweet pepper later. The day you know how to do this one is the day your sorrows are finally over. If you can do it continuously, be sure that you will dump all seeds here and you will start importing yourself. Because when yours land in the market, they will definitely rush you if you have the right cultivar. Sure, there are some good ones I am beginning to see around these days, but the best are still not in Nigeria.

I was discussing with a friend last week, while farmers sell 1 dozen of lettuce at N150 - N500, she reminded me of a particular cultivar some rich people buy at N1,000 retail price per head. I laughed hard. Well you know that most lettuce sold in market arent allowed to form heads. But this particular variety is good. And the seeds are definitely going to be expensive since the cultivar is uncommon here. These uncommon cultivars are the ones I am interested in. Of course, it comes with its price at the initially stage which many farmers run away from. But after breaking down the barrier, it becomes so easy and so profitable.

You have to decide what you want to do. To follow the crowd or to lead.

I wish you well sir.

3 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 18, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Bro sprouting seeds in wet towel is not for hobby farming as you have been misguided. It is an invaluable tool for professionals. When you have different varieties, and you want to strategize well, you use it to know the progress of roots germination. Why would you want to do that? Of course for many reasons. Let me give you just two examples:

1. You read the expiration date on your can is near. And you want to test it. Use the method. Even the seeds are 2 years expired, use the method to test if the seeds are still fertile. Check my thread, I used it for a tomato seed, and it refused to germinate. I dumped the seeds. It was yesterday I sent the remaining seeds to someone just to sow all and tell me if any will germinate inside the batch. The person who has the seeds now is on nairaland probably reading this. Though, he has the new ones too included in the package sent to him to try.

2. I cultivate with sense. I use herbicides too at times. If I know that 99.9% of the chemical will be out of the plants system when I start harvesting, I want to see the progressive growth of the root of my seeds. Why? I want to know the earliest day to spray that it will not damage the roots. You can imagine having 20 ha of land, and then spraying at the wrong time. You know they tell you to wait many days (up to 2 weeks for some herbicides) before sowing seeds after spraying, of course many more days were added just because they want to be safe. But that is not optimum. I always need optimum. There are days I spray today and I sow tomorrow. Why? This tests shows me precisely when it is safe. I do not go with general farming practice; rather, I always optimize.

This is why I always ask. This theory you have read and you say is crap, how did you interprete it? Of course, many cannot easily interprete these theories; therefore, they are trapped with the old general methods. And they are quick to tell you to forget it.

Use it on many seeds at your leisure and start learning. Start seeing what others are blind to see. Your inner eyes will be opened. You start making some decisions that ordinary farmers cannot make. They start asking you how you know these things. O boy! Na serious brain work ooo. Use your brain first, before using any farming equipment.

It is not every seed you soak up to 12 hours. You can drown many seeds if soaked too long. And you may even keep them less fertile. They to research well the optimum hours for your seeds. Also investigate nutrients you soak them in. And lastly make sure you treat again your seeds. Soaking them removes organic/inorganic treatment in the seeds. Many times, it is not advisable to soak them in water. You may expose your young seedlings to many diseases.

Bless you!

2 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 18, 2019
numen:

Bro, What's the name of the Hazera Tomato variety you purchased?

I thought they have a Nigerian rep or was there a particular reason you imported?

Cheers

It is a long story you are asking me. If you can read the epistle. Lol. Ok, let me summarise it.

Every 2 - 4 years, seed companies bring out new varieties. It is a continuous research. Do you know how much spent on researches? On my thread, I will publish a case study on a pharmaceutical company which sold a drug around $500 during the years its patent was valid. As soon as the patent expired, other companies dived in, and crashed the product to $20. Today, Indians even made it cheaper in the Nigerian market with whatever. It's around $4 -5 here. Lol. Of course, this is a lawless country antibiotics are bought over counter. Very wrong. But that company which held the patent was smart. 2 years before the patent expiration, it brought out another product got its patent and started advertising it like the new one is better. The producer simply changed minor things inside it which was documented in the patent details. And they started making comparison. What kind of comparison? They only optimized this new drug. And by doubling the old one crashed to $20, same result will be achieved. Like the real worth is just $40, and not $600 or so that they sold the new one. It was after many years of profit that some doctors noticed it. And they started screaming. That was how their bubbles were bursted. Lol. My point is that manufacturing companies are smart. Every new cultivar is a little tweek from the old one. And studying it is the way out. Though, innovation is possible too.

To answer your question, Africa is poor. We cannot pay for the research of these new seeds. Old seeds that are out of the market in their region because of competition are brought to W. Africa and they even make good profit with it here.They dont bother to educate W. Africans about innovations. They know Nigerian farmers are extremely poor in their thinking ability. But good money is in Nigeria.

Of course Hazera has two common varieties in Nigeria which are Galileo and Shanty. Do you know the many tweaks Hazera has done to these seeds in W Africa just to confuse farmers? Lol. Maybe not to, but just to adapt them to different climatic system. These two seeds have made them huge profit. So, they just move them to Africa to make more good profit. And set up trial centres with affiliates. The guy who is in charge of the seeds in Nigeria is Israeli. The funny issue is that these seeds are problems in SW because they have no tolerance to bacteria wilt. Lol.

So, I contacted the main guy who us in charge of Africa, but the guy was extremely rude. We exchanged some unfriendly messages. Why? He rubbished me cos I wrote from Nigeria. Told me straight that the new varieties are not for Nigeria. I felt insulted, and I gave it back to him because he was extremely rude. Meanwhile we were both copying others the messages. When the main guy in Nigeria saw the messages he phoned me immediately and started pleading with me to try to understand the situation. We had almost 45 mins phone discussion.

Summary of our discussion:
1. Kenya is even trying to do greater in Veggie farming than Nigeria.
2. Farmers are not ready to accept innovation in Nigeria.
3. How many has greenhouses in Nigeria?
Please, I dont want to go into it. I was ashamed myself. And the man still pleaded that I should take the ones for my region and we work together. But what are we working together on when I know about these varieties very well. I have tried them, and I know how they are. So I decided not to persuade them further. And I left them alone. I simply got in touch with someone to buy the new ones for me. And I imported them. Of course they are extremely expensive. But that is the price I have to take.

I am sorry bro. I cannot reveal the names of these varieties here. They might be reading my posts too. They have different varieties for different climatic conditions. I simply went for the one which I know is similar to my climatic condition. When I am done with my pilot, I will "fire" back that man who insulted me. Lol!

But let us be serious. Are we really trying to improve in Nigeria? If we show more interests in these new breeds, and they see we are more into farming, they will set up research centers here so that seeds produced can be cheap. Go and read how these farmers always attack me for trying to let them know that we are our own enemy. No, they dont want to hear about it. They must want to use the seeds Mongo Park's great grand father used. Lol. They want to use cutlass to clear 10,000 ha for Babajide Sanwo-Olu. Hehhehe. They want Osinbajo to give them more and more subsidy on fertilzer. They even want Buhari to approach BHN and Hazera to pay subsidy for seeds. Lol.

If you understand what I face daily just because I am Nigerian...hmmmm. I dont have the habit of hiding my IP address, but as soon as they know it is coming from W.Africa, they avoid my messages like my mail is a virus. Like it is a scam. Guy, I am tired of Nigeria. Let me just put it this way: Naija is in trouble. But I love this country with everything in me. The love that made me return here is still there, but it is getting to the stage that I am really getting tired.

I have an answer to something special in my heart I am waiting for on Monday. I dont know what the outcome is going to be, but it is just because I am Nigerian there is trust issue.

If you are not frustrated with Nigeria, it means you haven't tried enough to relate with the outside world. I hate to say it, Nigeria is sinking seriously. Go to front page, they are always calling my Nigeria a sh..thole. My own Nigeria oooo. In the 70s, $1 is around 0.7naira. Why? British pounds associated with ours then. As soon as British pulled away from us....hmmmm. Just look at the exchange rate now. Dishonesty is a virus. It kills. It has injured Nigeria seriously.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by freshrose: 10:13am On Oct 18, 2019
@Okoroemeka. Somewhere in this thread, you recommended pig dung or so for nursery and discouraged poultry waste. What about cow dung? Can it be used?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by freshrose: 11:34am On Oct 18, 2019
Psalmy2cute:
So far I've been able to purchase the most challenging items for the farm..
If I'm able to get the avenir f1 seed and cocopeat befor the end of next week.. then I'm good to start my nursery by next month
Can you please list the items in that picture? Thanks
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 11:41am On Oct 18, 2019
freshrose:

Can you please list the items in that picture? Thanks
Nursery tray, (for seedling)
Mainline (irrigation)
Drip line (irrigation)
Connectors (irrigation)
Endplug (irrigation)
Water pump (irrigation)
Npk 15,15:15: fertiliser

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (61) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farming: My Story / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.