Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm - Agriculture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm (193702 Views)

My Pepper Planting Challenge / Fresh Pepper Farm / My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by niyidenrele: 3:46pm On Oct 25, 2019
While I was in school,my lecturer,a Prof ,told us that ,a plot of Tatase (bonnet ) can fetch you around 200k,how far is that true ?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2019
niyidenrele:
While I was in school,my lecturer,a Prof ,told us that ,a plot of Tatase (bonnet ) can fetch you around 200k,how far is that true ?
I believe this is very much possible, it depends on how you manage your farm

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by REUBEN010(m): 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2019
ogbongenet:
Some crop are really affected with this rain , while some plant are enjoying it .. My plantain is really doing well , we harvest every week now
It seems you don't have monkeys as pest over there. Down here, they ravage both ripe and unripe plantains while on the stand.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by REUBEN010(m): 7:19pm On Oct 25, 2019
okoroemeka:
I am skeptical about the news about avenir,I really liked that variety but I can't gamble ₦30k on chance or probablity,I am thinking about Efia for our next month nursery,any other suggestions is ok,by the way etnaf1 is shombo and big sun is yellow colour those two are off considering.
Hello Okoroemeka.
Please have you ever tried big sun? If yes, how is the yield and what is the cost of its seeds per unit?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jethro2: 8:55pm On Oct 25, 2019
Most Technisem seed are designed for tropical region.
They performed well in dry season and at their worst in rainy season.

Big sun :
I planted since December 2018, I am still harvesting though the yield has drastically reduced. It was not affected by rain.

We started harvesting by April
This is 6 months after

The sets I plant by May 2019 did not survive the rain.
The nursery I did during the rainy season did not survive too

Same applies to Etna and Avenir

It's advisable to establish the seed in dry season so they grow through the rainy period

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 12:34am On Oct 26, 2019
November and December are the two best months for pepper nursery,tested and trusted, anything else is playing betnaija with your hard-earned money

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by tpben: 9:56am On Oct 26, 2019
jethro2:
Most Technisem seed are designed for tropical region.
They performed well in dry season and at their worst in rainy season.

Big sun :
I planted since December 2018, I am still harvesting though the yield has drastically reduced. It was not affected by rain.

We started harvesting by April
This is 6 months after

The sets I plant by May 2019 did not survive the rain.
The nursery I did during the rainy season did not survive too

Same applies to Etna and Avenir

It's advisable to establish the seed in dry season so they grow through the rainy period

Technisem seeds have issues with germination.
No one can doubt that.

Even when their seeds arrive newly, you buy, open and plant and you will have good percentage but any left over seed if you try planting after some weeks it will never germinate.

Secondly, if their seeds stay in the shelf for some time they won't germinate again.

Sadly, they will still sell them to customers.

Bought a particular Seminis seed, opened it, planted some and closed back. The seed surprisingly germinated after one year.

It's obvious their seeds don't have longevity.

They should improve on seed germination and preservation and have a return policy.

Same with continental seeds marketed by x gems.

Bought seeds worth 7k last year none germinated and they refused to refund.

And they still continued selling those seeds

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by tpben: 10:05am On Oct 26, 2019
Having a plot well managed is better than an acre not well attended to

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ANOCETS: 11:48am On Oct 26, 2019
With all this experience what is the way forward.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 26, 2019
tpben:

The issue with bringing maybe Syngenta or Seminis seeds here is the price.

Can farmers curve out 30k to buy 1, 000 seeds whereas other brands sell at same price for 12 000 seeds.

That's the issue.

But better companies dey sha.

Kenya ahead of us
I dont even use these two brands you mentioned. Darina and Assila are Seminis. And I have reviewed many of syngenta's products which are not my style. But be rest assured that Seminis and Syngenta are kings of GMOs. Lol.

My guy, keep buying 12,000 seeds for N30k. If it pays you...fine. And you sure know the disadvantages. If I know about seeds I am sure can pull through rainy season when such fruits are expensive, and the cost of the seeds are high, why not?

Listen to yourself sir. You want to sell a basket of 35kg tomato at N15k minimum, but you dont want to buy 1,000 seeds at N30,000. If it is N200,000 for 1,000 seeds and I have tested it, and can work with it well....I will go for it as long as it will give me the expected yield and profit. Not necessarily telling you I am going to buy expensive seeds. Even, I can decide to use Roma OPV and pay zero naira. It is my choice. Not by force. I choose according to the farming condition.

It is your choice. You can keep buying Avenir with 20% germination rate. And then, you have young seedlings that are so weak. Or buy quality that will get the job done. Who is more successful? The one buying cheap seeds? Or the one with excellent seeds?

But not all expensive seeds are good. Always do pilot. And be ready to be "maga". To know "orignal", you must test many seeds and be their "magas". grin A don be maga to many seeds. But funny, some farmers want some kind of farmers to be the maga doing the pilots. Lol. My brother, the choices we make today determine our tomorrow. I cannot be maga to seeds and then be maga to farmers. You assist them make money and then expect them to join you in future trials. But they do not want to. Oga, such farmer will play smart in his own penury. I will design Gucci bed of poverty for such farmer by making sure I give him "it's coming hopeless hope" treatment. Lol.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 26, 2019
Technisem and Continental seeds are known for not germinating after storage. I lost a 50g technisem market more brand with continental sweet pepper variety with zero germination after storage.

Never will I touch those brands even with a long foot pole.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by es144000: 2:44pm On Oct 26, 2019
EMMAACHILE:
Technisem and Continental seeds are known for not germinating after storage. I lost a 50g technisem market more brand with continental sweet pepper variety with zero germination after storage.

Do not understand, is it after extracting seeds from rotten fruits and storyng them or the original seeds in their packets?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 26, 2019
es144000:
Do not understand, is it after extracting seeds from rotten fruits and storyng them or the original seeds in their packets?
Original can for technisem and paper packet for continental
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 26, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

I am happy many are saying the truth now. Like our elders always say: "Experience is the best teacher". Though, there are still seeds I buy from them, but when you go deep into veggie, and you start seeing these things with your eyes....hmmmm.....when you calculate the number of mosquitoes that are competing to suck your blood in the Bush....and the pint these guys have sucked using straw.... grin...you will definitely think well. So, when I see old farmers doing their thing, I do not disturb them because I know it is all over for them. It is why I do not partner or even try to work with established farmers. Bad habit is hard to correct. But when I read online that the cost of seeds is a big turn off for any farmer, my first guess is that the person is still a JJC. Definitely, if the fellow is in his 20s or early 30s, you start seeing changes in him after 1 year experience. "That is to say....his brain has been going through rehabilitation". grin. Experience is a bad as.s.

Fact! Most NL writers are with 0 experience, and they start arguing like they are gurus. Better just leave them alone. Experience always bend them.

My brother...Never and Never and Never......Never will I touch EastWest, Technisem, Continental, and Seminis, pepper/tomato seeds despatched to W.Africa. i repeat Never! Pepper of any kind...be it habanero, sweet pepper...but maybe that EastWest Demon chilli. But why will I want to touch a seed called "Demon". But really, that chilli is a stubborn demon. Its harvest time you know the kind of demon it is.. grin. Never! There are cultivars that are very easy to harvest. But you tell farmers the price, they pick race. Let them go face to demon na. grin

2 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by tpben: 3:12pm On Oct 26, 2019
Pistotita:

I dont even use these two brands you mentioned. Darina and Assila are Seminis. And I have reviewed many of syngenta's products which are not my style. But be rest assured that Seminis and Syngenta are kings of GMOs. Lol.

My guy, keep buying 12,000 seeds for N30k. If it pays you...fine. And you sure know the disadvantages. If I know about seeds I am sure can pull through rainy season when such fruits are expensive, and the cost of the seeds are high, why not?

Listen to yourself sir. You want to sell a basket of 35kg tomato at N15k minimum, but you dont want to buy 1,000 seeds at N30,000. If it is N200,000 for 1,000 seeds and I have tested it, and can work with it well....I will go for it as long as it will give me the expected yield and profit. Not necessarily telling you I am going to buy expensive seeds. Even, I can decide to use Roma OPV and pay zero naira. It is my choice. Not by force. I choose according to the farming condition.

It is your choice. You can keep buying Avenir with 20% germination rate. And then, you have young seedlings that are so weak. Or buy quality that will get the job done. Who is more successful? The one buying cheap seeds? Or the one with excellent seeds?

But not all expensive seeds are good. Always do pilot. And be ready to be "maga". To know "orignal", you must test many seeds and be their "magas". grin A don be maga to many seeds. But funny, some farmers want some kind of farmers to be the maga doing the pilots. Lol. My brother, the choices we make today determine our tomorrow. I cannot be maga to seeds and then be maga to farmers. You assist them make money and then expect them to join you in future trials. But they do not want to. Oga, such farmer will play smart in his own penury. I will design Gucci bed of poverty for such farmer by making sure I give him "it's coming hopeless hope" treatment. Lol.

I have not used technisem for 3 years now.

I used to source seeds from Benin Republic but that link has closed now.

Looking forward to buying maybe from Kenya.

If I see costly seed with better features and yield, I rather buy than go for cheap ones.

I once bought a brand 1500 seeds for 25k while technisem sold at 3k for 6000 seeds

It all depends.

It even pains me why these companies ain't here.

But mehn truth be told.

Surely there are better brands out there but not every person can afford nor get it

Instead of waiting for seeds that might be elusive, go for what is available and better the process in the future.

We can get better
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 26, 2019
Pistotita:

I am happy many are saying the truth now. Like our elders always say: "Experience is the best teacher". Though, there are still seeds I buy from them, but when you go deep into veggie, and you start seeing these things with your eyes....hmmmm.....when you calculate the number of mosquitoes that are competing to suck your blood in the Bush....and the pint these guys have sucked using straw.... grin...you will definitely think well. So, when I see old farmers doing their thing, I do not disturb them because I know it is all over for them. It is why I do not partner or even try to work with established farmers. Bad habit is hard to correct. But when I read online that the cost of seeds is a big turn off for any farmer, my first guess is that the person is still a JJC. Definitely, if the fellow is in his 20s or early 30s, you start seeing changes in him after 1 year experience. "That is to say....his brain has been going through rehabilitation". grin. Experience is a bad as.s.

Fact! Most NL writers are with 0 experience, and they start arguing like they are gurus. Better just leave them alone. Experience always bend them.

My brother...Never and Never and Never......Never will I touch EastWest, Technisem, Continental, and Seminis, pepper/tomato seeds despatched to W.Africa. i repeat Never! Pepper of any kind...be it habanero, sweet pepper...but maybe that EastWest Demon chilli. But why will I want to touch a seed called "Demon". But really, that chilli is a stubborn demon. Its harvest time you know the kind of demon it is.. grin. Never! There are cultivars that are very easy to harvest. But you tell farmers the price, they pick race. Let them go face to demon na. grin
Lol. I still respect East West products oh among that list. Their papaya is excellent. Demon should be bad ass in production! I don't think they are referring to the devil himself! Hahaha
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 26, 2019
tpben:

I have not used technisem for 3 years now.

I used to source seeds from Benin Republic but that link has closed now.

Looking forward to buy maybe from Kenya.

If I see costly seed with better features and yield, I rather buy than go for cheap ones.

I once bought a brand 1500 seeds for 25k while technisem sales at 3k.

It all depends.

It even pains me why these companies ain't here.

We can see from this border closure that Nigeria is a heavy weight in Africa. Even look at South Africa. Hahaha. Let me remind you how Tunde Idiagbon faced the UK. No joke with Naija oooo. Even the kind money Shoprite, MTN, and DSTV make here is ma.d. Just see how Ghana is confessing Jesus is Lord to the extent their Trade affair Minister stopped any kind of retaliation they are planning because he knows Ghana needs Nigeria more. Forget about "yeye" statistics online. Lol.

The day Nigeria gets serious....hehehe...I swear most Europeans will make Nigeria their capital base in Africa. American celebrities and scientists will all have homes in Nigeria.

There is an american lady who picked interest in Nigeria that I know, and claimed she came to Naija, but went to Enugu. I laughed. She did not go to Lagos and she was saying she came to Nigeria. Which kind Nigeria is that? Was telling me the place was just rough and smelly. If she goes to spots in Lagos and Abuja...she will think she is in paradise. Not to talk of good locations in Calabar.

Again, scammers have destroyed our image. They have really messed us up too much. As much as I have contributed positively to Nigeria, these scammers do not leave me as a saint. No American wants to deal with a Nigerian man who does not have a base in N. America or Europe where he can be scrutinized.

If this border closure can go on for more months, believe me....Nigeria will start getting better. Foreigners will come here. As a Naija man, we are the first choice of any oyinbo when it comes to productivity and intelligence. Ghana is just there. Most Europeans will pick Nigeria over Kenya and Ghana. But they just know that we are too smart. And when we use that smartness in the bad way, we can do enough damage, and get away nicely. So, every Nigerian is a suspect. grin As long as he doesnt have a base abroad, he is a suspect.

I will take permission from the person who got burpless cucumber from me to post a picture of the germination rate on my thread, and possibly the progress. The guy was shaking that he needs 10% additional and I laughed. I said no problem. And even i made him nurse 10% in a tray. Today, he said it is almost 100% germination rate, and I was just smiling. And I did no germinating treatment except fungicide treatment cos he is doing inorganic. How do I source the seed? Direct from an organic farm in Japan. The farmers doing organic, I told them there is no need to treat the seeds. The batch was harvested 3 days earlier the date it was dispatched. I do not go for brands only. If I see any farmer who has good stuff, inpatronize the fellow. And I used DHL for the seeds. So, the batch was just 6 days old by the time I received it. Compare with these seeds we buy here....stay in their warehouse for min if 3 months before dispatching to Africa or to the city of sales if produced in Africa. Can stay like 3 months on transist, and then, stay like 6 months with the seller before you buy. Lol. So it is why producers also write 80% germination rate. But if you know how to treat them, you can still push to 95% if there is still life in them. But Avenir is like waste of time as soon as life is no more in the seeds. I dont waste my time with them. I have told you all that the class of seeds shipped to Africa by these companies are not so good. It is for poor and stingy Nairaland farmers.

I am happy you are different from them. Sure...if you can get from Kenya, you are at a better advantage. Trust me, importers here "no send" you.

3 Likes

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 26, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Lol. I still respect East West products oh among that list. Their papaya is excellent. Demon should be bad ass in production! I don't think they are referring to the devil himself! Hahaha

My problem with them all is that the batches they send to West Africa are rubbish. Yes...I heard their papaya is good. Well, they have no choice because they know Papaya Carlifornia is available.
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 9:53am On Oct 27, 2019
many farmers are definitely confused now,which way forward ,the prime time for pepper nursery is fast approaching and there's no solution in sight,avenir is now out of consideration,what else can be used Etna f1,efia,or if there's any options available pls let's share how to source it
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 10:00am On Oct 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
many farmers are definitely confused now,which way forward ,the prime time for pepper nursery is fast approaching and there's no solution in sight,avenir is now out of consideration,what else can be used Etna f1,efia,or if there's any options available pls let's share how to source it
exactly what I was abt 2 say!...i was planning 2 trial half plot of avenir. but with these negative review on avenir and popular brands,i am confused. I need pepper seeds in order of very high pungency, then good disease resistance, nd finally good yield, any name irrespective of price?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by jethro2: 10:47am On Oct 27, 2019
Please do you know where I can get the Big Sun (Technisem) pepper seed to buy?

Thank you

okoroemeka:
November and December are the two best months for pepper nursery,tested and trusted, anything else is playing betnaija with your hard-earned money
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 27, 2019
ideepaul:

exactly what I was abt 2 say!...i was planning 2 trial half plot of avenir. but with these negative review on avenir and popular brands,i am confused. I need pepper seeds in order of very high pungency, then good disease resistance, nd finally good yield, any name irrespective of price?
I would have said east west if they had a hybrid habanero. Their products always have good resistance. The new Diva f1 tomato for example has a lot of resistances to diseases where other variety will not survive.

Look our for Zwaan products if you don't mind prices as their germination rates are very good and produce solid products. The reviews from farmers is great especially from East Africa attest to them.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by tpben: 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2019
I don't think anyone is outrightly ruling out technisem.

The issue is germination. But if you can germinate their peppers they are not bad.

Though they might not be the best in terms of resistances.

I rather go for technisem hot peppers than importing costly ones.

Hot pepper is not a big deal here

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by okoroemeka(m): 1:34pm On Oct 27, 2019
jethro2:
Please do you know where I can get the Big Sun (Technisem) pepper seed to buy?

Thank you

I think big sun is yellow hot pepper and technisem so agritropic will have it,most times if their office in enugu don't have what we need they can call their office in nsukka or Jos they normally have exotic seeds in stock,but in the south west I think your best bet will be their office inside mile 12 vegetable market they have almost everything there.

1 Like

Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by tpben: 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
okoroemeka:
I think big sun is yellow hot pepper and technisem so agritropic will have it,most times if their office in enugu don't have what we need they can call their office in nsukka or Jos they normally have exotic seeds in stock,but in the south west I think your best bet will be their office inside mile 12 vegetable market they have almost everything there.

Smiles grin
okoroemeka:

Smiles

You are explaining to madam Jethro

It's clear na

She asked just to reiterate her stand on technisem seed

Smiles
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ideepaul: 3:40pm On Oct 27, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

I would have said east west if they had a hybrid habanero. Their products always have good resistance. The new Diva f1 tomato for example has a lot of resistances to diseases where other variety will not survive.

Look our for Zwaan products if you don't mind prices as their germination rates are very good and produce solid products. The reviews from farmers is great especially from East Africa attest to them.
i tend to believe east African farmers do mainly chilli, bt I will checkout d zwaan seeds. is there a credible seller on nairaland?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by OluchiDelly: 6:45am On Oct 28, 2019
ogbongenet:
Etna F1 is not shombo, it's rodo , I bought two pack yesterday

How much is the 5g pack?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 9:35am On Oct 28, 2019
OluchiDelly:

How much is the 5g pack?
Its same price with avenir 5g pack, they're both technicism product
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by ANOCETS: 10:42am On Oct 28, 2019
Psalmy2cute:

Its same price with avenir 5g pack, they're both technicism product

How much ?
Re: 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm by Psalmy2cute(m): 10:53am On Oct 28, 2019
ANOCETS:

How much ?
I got 2 5g pack at 5k each

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (61) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farming: My Story / Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.