Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,454 members, 7,826,740 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria (17416 Views)

20 Most Dangerous Bus Stops To Avoid In Lagos And Why / List Of People To Avoid In Lagos For New Comers. / Close Hotels To Us Embassy In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by OmoAlata(f): 5:32pm On Aug 19, 2010
Is there a thread about this somewhere?  If not, can we start one please  wink

I stayed at the Rita Lori Hotel in Surulere.  The reception area, lobby area, bar area, dining area I give 5 stars.  The kids were like, "Wow!!"

Wait until you get into the rooms  shocked Unbelievable!! The bathroom must be from the 60s or something - the door needs to be torn down and burnt - water regularly went.   Our window was held together with a dirty rag  shocked  It is such a contrast to the first impression you get when you walk in 

They tell you at reception when you are booking in that you get free breakfast then when you go downstairs in the morning, they tell you it is one free breakfast per room and it's only tea and toast  grin

As if that weren't enough (and not the hotel's fault, I hastily add), there's an aladura church opposite and they had night vigils everynight - the shouting, drumming, praying - say no more, say no more.

Would I stay there again?  NO  shocked

1 Like

Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by omega25red(m): 7:15pm On Aug 19, 2010
lol grin when i get to naija i will surly avoid that hotel grin
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by chelseabmw(m): 2:34am On Aug 21, 2010
lol
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by asiwaju: 8:09am On Aug 21, 2010
Excellence Hotel in ikeja,a useless place and,they charged 15,000 Naira(Standard room)but the rooms and the toilet is just incredible,the toilets are very dirty and the rooms full of mosquitoes,its beyond me why the place is not closed down and completely renovated.

Just like omo alata said,their free breakfast in Excellence hotel like any other overcharged hotel in Lagos is a bag of tea.

Asiwaju
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by OmoAlata(f): 9:15am On Aug 21, 2010
The staff were so arsey - "sorry this is the reception area, you can't talk here" (when a guest came to visit me); "sorry you can't stand infront of the hotel, move to the side"; "sorry this is the lobby area, you can't eat here".  FFS!!!!

They delivered all this politely and with a smile, I must say  lipsrsealed

I wish they'd just spent so much money on the rooms also.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by yme1(f): 11:17am On Aug 21, 2010
LMAO @post
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by funkybaby(f): 11:45am On Aug 21, 2010
asiwaju:

Excellent Hotel in ikeja,a useless place and,they charged 15,000 Naira(Standard room)but the rooms and the toilet is just incredible,the toilets are very dirty and the rooms full of mosquitoes,its beyond me why the place is not closed down and completely renovated.

Just like omo alata said,their free breakfast in Excellent hotel is a bag of tea.

Asiwaju

sorry, where is this hotel located?

or are you referring to EXCELLENCE hotel, ogba, ikeja?
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by BigPhil(m): 4:57pm On Aug 21, 2010
What really does my head in, is the amount they charge for the useless hotels,in Nigeria. shocked angry
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by WAVixen: 6:58pm On Aug 21, 2010
OSDY HOTEL, ALONG BENIN EXPRESS ROAD UGBOWO. BENIN CITY. Dont even think about it, lizards are a permanent fixture in the rooms, the bathroom was another story. Mosquitoes flew amock, we had to take the bedsheets off to sleep. The towels provided were better off as rags. On ratings, it will be -100 star!
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by asiwaju: 7:37pm On Aug 21, 2010
@funkybaby,

i made a mistake of the name,yes Excellence Hotel in Ogba Isheri Road.

Asiwaju.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by pslm23(f): 3:53pm On Aug 23, 2010
I will be travelling to Abuja in a couple of months, please list the hotels to avoid around the Garki / Wuse areas! I don't want to be constantly killing cockroaches, mosquitos and lizards in my room angry
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by funkybaby(f): 7:33pm On Aug 23, 2010
asiwaju:

@funkybaby,

i made a mistake of the name,yes Excellence Hotel in Ogba Isheri Road.

Asiwaju.

Okay.
I stayed there last year (late july) and the hotel was really okay.

the room was very decent, toilet was very clean, food was very good and the staff were very polite.
complementary breakfast was just for one person and it was not a cup of tea  grin

the only thing that was annoying was the loud buzzing noise that was from the massive generators situated at the back of the hotel which i could hear from the room i was in.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by asiwaju: 8:16pm On Aug 23, 2010
@funkybaby,

Well,i think we have a complete different opinion how an hotel should be or look like,i have been using Excellence hotel since 1997(at the begining,it was great)my last stay was july 2010(i used standard double)it was terrible,though they told me they are now renovating,the toilet and the rooms are just terrible,i changed room 2 times.

i used the hotel always because of security,they have very good security and the personal are friendly.

Asiwaju.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by Hauwa1: 8:44pm On Aug 24, 2010
i can imagine Red Neck lizard nodding at you and saying to myself, 'why the lizard nod its head' grin

also remembering gecko as in GEICO
not to forget agama lizard grin

oh nasty nasty hotels in nigeria. grin

1 Like

Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by Sharonf(f): 3:07am On Aug 25, 2010
Its better to start a 'hotels to patronise' thread rather than avoid cos there are Plenty(!) to avoid!

1 Like

Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 9:40am On Aug 26, 2010
Omo Alata:

I stayed at the Rita Lori Hotel in Surulere.  The reception area, lobby area, bar area, dining area I give 5 stars.  The kids were like, "Wow!!"

Wait until you get into the rooms  shocked Unbelievable!! The bathroom must be from the 60s or something - the door needs to be torn down and burnt - water regularly went.   Our window was held together with a dirty rag  shocked  It is such a contrast to the first impression you get when you walk in 

They tell you at reception when you are booking in that you get free breakfast then when you go downstairs in the morning, they tell you it is one free breakfast per room and it's only tea and toast  grin

As if that weren't enough (and not the hotel's fault, I hastily add), there's an aladura church opposite and they had night vigils everynight - the shouting, drumming, praying - say no more, say no more.

cheesy
I live in Lagos, and I never even heard of the Rita Lori hotel undecided
I'm just being told now that one of OBJ's wives owns the hotel.

Better to avoid hotels on the mainland, aside from the ones like Protea in GRA, and maybe Sheraton. If you have to stay in a hotel in Lagos, Island is better.
Reason? Mainland is way too densely populated. The hotels mostly serve as 'short time' rendezvous, and you'll probably find mosques and churches everywhere around.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by kreem7(m): 2:21pm On Aug 26, 2010
There is this hotel at ajao estate called The Place Hotel, very closed to mm airport lagos,their staffs are so welcoming, polite and caring. Among all, the accomodation is very reasonable compare to other hotels around.  We spent 1month, and it was like we shouldnt leave.

1 Like

Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by DisGuy: 1:25am On Feb 08, 2012
Kapow!! grin
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 08, 2012
Omo Alata:

LMAO! Rita Lori Hotel is essentially an 'Ile Asewo'. Those dingy rooms (never been inside by the way grin ) They are not for family oriented customers like you, they're for marathon/short-time sex. I bet you checked-in during the day so you didn't see the hordes of pros.ti.tu.tes that swamp the bar and reception area in the evening.

1 Like

Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by Lasinoh: 4:44am On Feb 09, 2012
I forget the hotel's name in Ikeja a few years ago. Charged me 25,000 Naira for one night only to have earthworms creeping out of the shower drains as I wanted to take my shower. It was an overnight stay to return the US. I wanted to stay in Ikeja to avoid traffic. Let us just say. . . I packed my things and slept in the lobby. I never stay in any hotel anymore. That was a nightmare. I will never forget it. It only showed that bathroom or shower stall had not been cleaned in ages.

Nigeria has no taste for decent living. The bathrooms are nasty! Mildew btw the cracks. I can't stand 'em.

Protea hotel and such are nice but too expensive. I would rather spend the night driving to my own home than waste money on such an enterprise.

What ever you do. . .Stay away form that dungeon called "SARAHSAM HOTEL". . . the generator would be cut off around 12 midnight and you cannot find your way to the bathroom if your phone is dead. The operator also disconnect their phones at this time. Lord help you with the kinds of noises you will hear in the dark. . .area boys are operating from room to room.

What is the name of that funny hotel sitting on top of a filling-station in Ikeja again? cheesy
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 8:02am On Feb 09, 2012
The hospitality industry has improved in Lagos these days. You have a lot more international brands coming in.
I was at Allen avenue the other day and noticed Best Western has taken over the old Lagos Hilton.

On the island, you have 4 Points By Sheraton, Southern Sun Ikoyi, Best Western facing Bar Beach,  renovated Federal Palace run by a British hospitality brand, Radisson Blu, also renovated Eko Hotels & Expo Center, and the Intercontinental (which I'm told will be run by Indians). There is also the surprisingly superb Golden Tulip at Mile 2 - an excellent hotel in the wrong neighbourhood if you ask me embarassed.

Nigerian entrepreneurs should go for franchises more, and stop trying to run the hotels by themselves. We simply don't have that customer service expertise in Nigeria. Hotels like Rockview and NICON Luxury in Abuja just make me laugh; they are glorified room-leasing shops with absolutely no iota of customer service.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by mbulela: 3:57pm On Feb 09, 2012
^^^^^^^
you harsh o!
That Golden Tulip just does not make sense at all. i obviously did not even know it is superb like you just mentioned.
business travellers still say the rates in Nigeria are way over the top. An outsider like myself would have imagined that the market is saturated on the island but with Intercontinental coming into town it is obvious that market still dey.
you forgot Ibis and Protea.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by mbulela: 4:06pm On Feb 09, 2012
How do you guys find such lousy hotels in lagos?
I have booked hotel rooms for family and friends coming into town for less than or equal to 15k and they were quite above average in every sense of the word (Villa Park arould apple junction leading to Festac and another one i forgot its name just off Opebi). Even for 25k you can get very excellent service and facilities from a couple of these nameless hotels on the Island.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:36pm On Feb 09, 2012
mbulela:

^^^^^^^
you harsh o!
That Golden Tulip just does not make sense at all. i obviously did not even know it is superb like you just mentioned.
business travellers still say the rates in Nigeria are way over the top. An outsider like myself would have imagined that the market is saturated on the island but with Intercontinental coming into town it is obvious that market still dey.
you forgot Ibis and Protea.

On TripAdvisor, Golden Tulip is rated #1 in Nigeria by travellers.

Average 5-star room rates in Nigeria are between $350 and $450. Not over the top. Pricey, yes, but not over the top. Try Luanda, Angola or Prague, Czech Republic, and you will know what 'expensive hotel room' really means. A standard room in a 3-star in those parts can easily fetch $800.

Ibis in Festac abi? Very nice and standard. Is there a Protea in Festac?

mbulela:

How do you guys find such lousy hotels in lagos?
I have booked hotel rooms for family and friends coming into town for less than or equal to 15k and they were quite above average in every sense of the word (Villa Park arould apple junction leading to Festac and another one i forgot its name just off Opebi). Even for 25k you can get very excellent service and facilities from a couple of these nameless hotels on the Island.

True this.
Lots of decent boutique hotels on the mainland, and on the island (VI and Lekki axis).
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by mbulela: 8:37am On Feb 10, 2012
AjanleKoko:

On TripAdvisor, Golden Tulip is rated #1 in Nigeria by travellers.

Average 5-star room rates in Nigeria are between $350 and $450. Not over the top. Pricey, yes, but not over the top. Try Luanda, Angola or Prague, Czech Republic, and you will know what 'expensive hotel room' really means. A standard room in a 3-star in those parts can easily fetch $800.

Ibis in Festac abi? Very nice and standard. Is there a Protea in Festac?

True this.
Lots of decent boutique hotels on the mainland, and on the island (VI and Lekki axis).
I never imagined that Golden Tulip was that good. Like you said, the location is funny.
Ibis is on the airport road,entrance of Ajao.
there is no Protea in festac but i guess over 3 of them around town.one opposite Sheraton and two on the island.
On the high prices, that is the comment i hear from business travellers.I am not one so i might have been misled.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 12:01pm On Feb 10, 2012
^^
There are 2 Proteas in Ikeja, one in Ikoyi, 2 in VI, and one in Lekki.
I know Ibis. Sorry I said Festac. Meant Ajao Estate.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by ban7211: 9:10am On Feb 11, 2012
CONTRARY TO THE OPINION OF ONE OF THE CONTRIBUTORS,I AM HERE TO STATE CLEARLY THAT:OSDY HOTEL IN BENIN IS ONE OF THE BEST HOTELS IN BENIN CITY TO VISIT.OSDY HOTEL HAS SOME OF THE STATE OF THE ART FACILITIES, ,CHECK OUT THE ROOMS ESPECIALLY THE ROOM I STAYED,IT HAS COMPLETE FACILITIES OF WHAT A ROOM IN THE HOTEL SHOULD LOOK LIKE.THE SAME APPLIES TO EVERY ROOM.

THE ROOMS ARE ALL NEAT,WITH MODERN BOARD BEDS,24/7 LIGHT SYSTEM,DSTV,SOME OF THE ROOMS HAVE JACUZZI,ALL THE ROOMS HAVE HEATER,THE STRUCTURE IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST AND MOST BEAUTIFUL IN BENIN CITY.THE STAFF ARE POLITE AND WELL CULTURED,BECOS THE WAY AND MANNER THEY ATTEND TO LODGERS MAKES ONE COMPLETELY FEELS AT HOME.SO, I DONT REALLY KNOW WHICH OF THE OSDY HOTEL THE FIRST CONTRIBUTOR STAYED.IS BETTER TO SAY THE TRUTH ABOUT SOMETHING THAN TO CONDEMN WHAT IS RIGHT.

THE MOST FASCINATING THING OF ALL IS THAT: WITH ALL THESE FACILITIES IN PLACE, THE ROOMS RATES ARE COMPLETELY REASONABLE WHEN COMPARE TO OTHER HOTELS IN BENIN.SO,AS FOR ME, WITH ALL SENSE OF CIRCUMSPECTION AND REALITY, I FINK OSDY HOTEL IS A TRUE THOUGHT OF WHAT HOTEL SHOULD LOOK LIKE!

SO,I WANT TO ADVISE EVERY TRAVELER WHO ALWAYS TRAVEL TO BENIN TO ALWAYS VISIT OSDY HOTEL TO HAVE THE EXACT FEEL OF WHAT I HAVE JUST TALKED ABOUT HERE. SO NO BE MOI MOI AT ALL!! MAKE ANY BODY NO GO DEY SPOIL PEOPLE BUSINESS BECOS OF THEIR SELFISH AND PAROCHIAL INTEREST. WE MUST LEARN TO BE TRUTHFUL AT ALL TIMES SO THAT WE CAN MAKE HEAVEN!

I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST OF MOMENTS!
[/b][/b][/b][/i]
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by Vicjustice: 11:06am On Feb 11, 2012
Omo Alata:

Thanks for taking the time to share
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by silat(f): 3:46pm On Feb 11, 2012
Pls any idea of a reasonably cheap hotel in around ikeja.
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by mbulela: 11:45pm On Feb 11, 2012
what do you mean by reasonably cheap?
Re: Hotels To Avoid In Nigeria by kexpan(m): 10:03am On Mar 18, 2017
Yes thats where his was talking about.

funkybaby:

sorry, where is this hotel located?

or are you referring to EXCELLENCE hotel, ogba, ikeja?

(1) (Reply)

Dangote Truck Hits Man In Kwara State Leaving Him Injured (Disturbing Photos) / Omicron Variant: Canada Adds Nigeria, Egypt, Malawi To Travel Ban List / There Are Only Two Suspended Lakes In The World, Ado-awaye Suspended Lake Is One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.