Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,092 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. (39060 Views)

Man Stabs Lover To Death In Broad Day Light In Ajegunle Lagos / Video Footage Captures Robbers Operating In Broad Day Light In Benin (Video) / 2 UNN Microbiology Students Raped In A Broad Day Light (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Ishilove: 2:55pm On Feb 07, 2019
Very old format
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Daysbaba(m): 2:57pm On Feb 07, 2019
OP, sorry for the loss but this is an old trick and too cheap. No man of God will perform that miracle nor ask for your bank details.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by zoghys: 2:58pm On Feb 07, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
like taking candy from a child... lol! with all due respect, how gullible must you be to fall for such a cheap nonsense scam?!

the minute that guy asked you to write you pin down, thats when you should have, AT LEAST, been suspicious that it was a scam.
RULE #1 NEVER EVER give your bank card/telephone pin to ANYONE!

They don't make you do that ordinarily, its more spiritual than normal.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by mauricej99: 3:01pm On Feb 07, 2019
I was scammed the same way in Jos. That was 8 years back, I was in 100level going back to hostel. Those people are not ordinary, and they move from state to state.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Bluffly: 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2019
geek4k:
Hey guys!

This is quite a long read, yet an insightful piece. I have made it succinct as possible while making sure it engulfs wholly the key points. So make sure to grab a cup of popcorn or a bottle of water as you read through.

It all started on an early-sunny Saturday afternoon while I was walking my way home.

With a slight feeling of ecstasy depicted with a light-warm smile on my face, garnished by the symphonious rhythm of “Doing it wrong” by Drake wink YEH! I just withdrew little cash which I planned to give myself a little treat later that evening.

While I was still deliberating whether to have roasted fish or chicken with a chilled bottle of Origin “Brother please excuse me” so I heard as I turned behind to see who called my attention.

He was a black tall man in his late 30s. Please, I’m looking for so so… hotel, he said. Having been living in Kubwa, Abuja since the past 20years I’ve never heard such name as a hotel before. Sorry, sir I don’t know, maybe you should ask those people over there, I said pointing at a direction of seated people why I made haste to go.

Immediately some 2guys walked past us. He quickly threw the same question at them and one of them pointed at a direction he should follow to get to where he’s going to.

Quick note: It was at this point the play actually began, just to avoid confusion I’d assign quick names to the accomplices. x and y will be the two folks that walked past us while Mr. A will be the man who stopped me.

Mr A then thanked us gratefully for trying to help out. He made a fuss of the moment by saying to the x guy “You plan on travelling, make sure to pray about it”. He immediately turned to the y guy saying “You give your clothes out; your enemies are using it to plan against you”. He then turned to me. he said, “You walk barefooted, it’s too dangerous”. What tha..?!! I think his proverb to me translate how spiritually vulnerable I am. My mom had always said that too.

While we stood there astonished, I went totally numbed given what he just said. He introduced himself as a man of God… , gave me a scripture to read in the Bible (Psalm 23) as he did to x and y. He also said he works with Father Mbaka and that he came down to Abuja for a ministration assigned to him. He thanked us again, turned and crossed the main road and went towards where he was directed to.

Guy do you know this man? The y guy asked me. No, I don’t! he just stopped me as he did to y’al. “How he take know say I dey travel” – asked the x guy with confusion boldly written all over his face. I need to have his number, this man is no ordinary – said the y guy talking to his pal. They walked towards Mr. A. Just out of curiosity, I followed them.

We outwalked Mr. A, met him and politely asked for his number. He refused, saying he only minister to people when directed by his god, he doesn’t give out his personal number. He also said since we’ve made effort to meet him he was going to tell us more about the revelations he had about us.

At that moment in time, the whole experience seemed very light and somewhat significant moment of my life.

Mr. A started by asking our names, which we responded. Summarily, the way he talked, he made us felt comfy, easy to confined in and communicate with.

Mr. A went on preaching to us about forgiveness and helping the less fortunate. He talked about forgiveness for a while and made me promised him to help the less privileged. While all these were happening, we were walking down the road heading to the so-called hotel.

Metaphorically, Mr. A spat fire as he spoke. There was this aura of authority and confidence when he said things.

He further revealed to me that I’d have long been a graduate, that I was supposed to have gained a scholarship to school abroad over 6 years ago. He also said I was born to be a very successful person, well recognized and respected. Hearing that my heart beat in affirmation, I had already seen the writings on the wall. He asked about my current state, I answered with full honesty.

He continued by telling me about a mystery woman who has always been marking my footprint because she had issues with my mom and swore to her grave never to forgive her nor her children. which according to him is the reason I haven’t yet manifested.

He made me recite some prayers after him (actual prayers) to God that I’d forgive if he mentioned the name of the woman while he performed an actual trick on me which I was made to understand it was a miracle. The trick was my saliva appeared at the back of my hand while he made me put it on my palm. Sounds funny? He actually did it, it left me stunned.

He also made me rub the same saliva all over my palm and on my forehead.

Amidst all these, Mr. A seemed to be more interested in me as he always talked about the vision he had about me. “Maybe I’m just the most blessed” - I couldn’t help but had this thinking.

All these experiences took quite some time, because x, y guys and I took turns in his ministration.

At a point, he switched topic and started telling us about the number 666 and how the devil has come to destroy the world. He advised us to change any of our personal stuffs that have to do with number 6, be it our phone PW, debit card PW or anything. He made us wrote down our passwords including debit cards on a sheet of paper.

It was time to reveal the mystery woman to me who has been marking down my footprints, my heart beat skipped in dismay and outright anger filled my head.

We had to take turns in hearing the biggest revelation of our lives because we all had unknown evil persons working their a$se$ out day and night just to make sure we don’t attain any successful endeavor.

Mr. A told the x guy to move ahead of us while counting till the 7th electric pole at the right, he also asked him to drop everything behind not to cause himself any distraction and while he moves he shouldn’t look left, right or back. Lastly, he should pick sand from the 7th pole and wait for us there. The x nigga GAVE ME his phone, wallet and that piece of paper where he had written his passwords and took off without hesitation.

In the meantime, while x guy has gone, Mr. A told us about one Agnes and Mr. James and how Mr. James blinded x guy’s father, still the x guy still takes care of Mr. James children living with him. Mr. A told us to first ask the x guy if he recognizes any of them in his family.

As we approached x guy who by the already completed the mini-quest, Mr. A excused himself as we asked the x guy if he knows any of the names we were told to ask him. x guy confirmed all true and said Mr. James is his uncle while Agnes is his inlaw. He even went ahead and told us about Mr. James children that stay with him. we went ahead telling him how Mr. James blinded his father, this grown nigga almost burst out in tears in our presence, we consoled him.

Who really is this man? – I questioned myself in thought.

It got to my turn, I was given almost same instructions what differs was, I was asked to count up to the 11th pole. That’s was quite a sum sha for a nigga who hasn’t eaten. I gave y guy my stuffs to hold for me, Yeh everything including a face cap I was putting on – Just how I was advised by Mr. A to avoid any form of distractions.

I took off immediately like some space rocket was shoved in my as$. I jogged like I never did before and when I reached the 11th pole there was a mini bar just behind and people where cooling off the sunny afternoon with their chilled green bottle. It occurred to me how to pick up sands there without those people thinking I’m nut. I went to the pole picked the sand without giving a crap what they might think about me.

Moment of Truth

I was breathing like a 120-year-old man who was forced to run a 100-meter race while looking down the road to see if they’re catching up with me. I saw no trace of the 3 of them. Took the pain went back and forth from where I was asked to start counting the poles, baba! They've all disappeared.

I managed to use strangers phone to call my line claiming it fell out of me, it rang for a moment with no answer. It was later switched off
At that point their cunny little actions started adding up and I began to see the bigger picture. Our debit card’s password we wrote down, my two debit cards, my phone, my wallet I left behind. It all made sense. It all seemed I was in a hypnotic state with no way out.

The damage was brutal. I was totally crippled. Who would expect less?

All these happened to me in the blink of an eye, while I was thinking it to be one of the most significant moment of life, Lol it was truly the worst mehn.

Quick hint: always try not to put all your valuables in your wallet or bag, while they’re easy to access, they’re easier to get stolen or lost.

Spoiler Alert!

Obviously the bringing in of x and y guys into the picture was a planned work. That’s how they operate in groups. Just so you won’t see yourself doing weird things alone.

These scallywags usually aim at weekends, when most public offices are closed. just so to carry out their diabolic acts seamlessly. if it was on a working day I would’ve reported to the bank and get my account blocked ASAP.

There bought my attention right at the beginning by saying facts about me, they won’t ask you to follow them but you would most eventually out of curiosity and to get more insight.

They mostly aim at people coming out of an atm. Because of course you can’t just go an atm to stare at the machines. You just accessed your bank account that’s makes you a potential client.

The way he spoke in a calm tone, with confidence and authority, will make you to be able to confined in them. All these are just to buy your trust so when they ask you to do certain stuff you most likely won’t hesitate.

They’ll most likely perform a trick on you just as they did to me with my saliva. They do this just to make you see them as a somewhat anointed or superior person.

Be extremely careful when you talk to strangers in general.

Lastly, if any stranger asks you to count – READ MY LIPS – E-L-E-C-T-R-I-C P-O-L-E… Baba!! Run for your life oo, or better still scream so loud to draw attention and make the person explain himself. There’s no doubt he’s a scammer.
What isn’t clear to me was whether I was jazzed or not. If I wasn’t, what describes the unorthodox act of rubbing my saliva all over my hands and forehead?

I hope you read, learn and share my experience, you might just be saving someone’s fortune.

Stay blessed!
You be mumu. As old as you are, you never hear this kain approach? Even when I was way younger they tried it but as a street boy I decode them right from the beginning the second step of introducing two new fellows.
Infact na me con almost defraud them before them come give me salute. For this Naija. Dem go try sha

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Codyt(m): 3:08pm On Feb 07, 2019
Emescot:
Lmao reminds me of when i was working at Anthony village Lagos, exactly like urs, difference is this one claimed to have come from Niger and he has a lot of imported things he came with, and the things were much, plus he needed someone he could trust, and somehow his spirit trusted me, he asked me if i could find him a place to stay in exchange for part of what he imported, still acting like he does not understand English well, that was how one mumu jumped in, saying he has been watching the man since and asked what is going on in yoruba language, i explained to him and that one started persuading me saying lets help him since he will reward us... All i said to him in yoruba was, lets use style and take him to that police station, they might help him there, that was how the whole thing ended, with the yoruba guy saying "file ko kora e lo jare, owun lomo - meaning leave him let him go, that's his concern. Now i want you to note that the reasons why i wasn't moved was,
1 I have heard such story from my next door neighbor who gave 419 guys all his brother's cash because they told her she would die if she told anyone and she was made to swear an oat, plus they used that spit on the palm magic with her too, and
2. I was in a hurry as i was running a difficult errand for my boss then so they were more like disturbing me.
3. I wasn't a very curious and greedy person too

Sorry you learnt the hard way
WOW thanks for sharing!
This Lagos ehn angry
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by BillgatesMaigad(m): 3:09pm On Feb 07, 2019
Lolzzzzzzzzz

Deegurl
Come and see something
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Mursz: 3:09pm On Feb 07, 2019
Hahahahhaha.... i laff dey roll for floor.

Chai! Sorry bro.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by adebayo3449(m): 3:10pm On Feb 07, 2019
geek4k:
Hey guys!

This is quite a long read, yet an insightful piece. I have made it succinct as possible while making sure it engulfs wholly the key points. So make sure to grab a cup of popcorn or a bottle of water as you read through.

It all started on an early-sunny Saturday afternoon while I was walking my way home.

With a slight feeling of ecstasy depicted with a light-warm smile on my face, garnished by the symphonious rhythm of “Doing it wrong” by Drake wink YEH! I just withdrew little cash which I planned to give myself a little treat later that evening.

While I was still deliberating whether to have roasted fish or chicken with a chilled bottle of Origin “Brother please excuse me” so I heard as I turned behind to see who called my attention.

He was a black tall man in his late 30s. Please, I’m looking for so so… hotel, he said. Having been living in Kubwa, Abuja since the past 20years I’ve never heard such name as a hotel before. Sorry, sir I don’t know, maybe you should ask those people over there, I said pointing at a direction of seated people why I made haste to go.

Immediately some 2guys walked past us. He quickly threw the same question at them and one of them pointed at a direction he should follow to get to where he’s going to.

Quick note: It was at this point the play actually began, just to avoid confusion I’d assign quick names to the accomplices. x and y will be the two folks that walked past us while Mr. A will be the man who stopped me.

Mr A then thanked us gratefully for trying to help out. He made a fuss of the moment by saying to the x guy “You plan on travelling, make sure to pray about it”. He immediately turned to the y guy saying “You give your clothes out; your enemies are using it to plan against you”. He then turned to me. he said, “You walk barefooted, it’s too dangerous”. What tha..?!! I think his proverb to me translate how spiritually vulnerable I am. My mom had always said that too.

While we stood there astonished, I went totally numbed given what he just said. He introduced himself as a man of God… , gave me a scripture to read in the Bible (Psalm 23) as he did to x and y. He also said he works with Father Mbaka and that he came down to Abuja for a ministration assigned to him. He thanked us again, turned and crossed the main road and went towards where he was directed to.

Guy do you know this man? The y guy asked me. No, I don’t! he just stopped me as he did to y’al. “How he take know say I dey travel” – asked the x guy with confusion boldly written all over his face. I need to have his number, this man is no ordinary – said the y guy talking to his pal. They walked towards Mr. A. Just out of curiosity, I followed them.

We outwalked Mr. A, met him and politely asked for his number. He refused, saying he only minister to people when directed by his god, he doesn’t give out his personal number. He also said since we’ve made effort to meet him he was going to tell us more about the revelations he had about us.

At that moment in time, the whole experience seemed very light and somewhat significant moment of my life.

Mr. A started by asking our names, which we responded. Summarily, the way he talked, he made us felt comfy, easy to confined in and communicate with.

Mr. A went on preaching to us about forgiveness and helping the less fortunate. He talked about forgiveness for a while and made me promised him to help the less privileged. While all these were happening, we were walking down the road heading to the so-called hotel.

Metaphorically, Mr. A spat fire as he spoke. There was this aura of authority and confidence when he said things.

He further revealed to me that I’d have long been a graduate, that I was supposed to have gained a scholarship to school abroad over 6 years ago. He also said I was born to be a very successful person, well recognized and respected. Hearing that my heart beat in affirmation, I had already seen the writings on the wall. He asked about my current state, I answered with full honesty.

He continued by telling me about a mystery woman who has always been marking my footprint because she had issues with my mom and swore to her grave never to forgive her nor her children. which according to him is the reason I haven’t yet manifested.

He made me recite some prayers after him (actual prayers) to God that I’d forgive if he mentioned the name of the woman while he performed an actual trick on me which I was made to understand it was a miracle. The trick was my saliva appeared at the back of my hand while he made me put it on my palm. Sounds funny? He actually did it, it left me stunned.

Amidst all these, Mr. A seemed to be more interested in me as he always talked about the vision he had about me. “Maybe I’m just the most blessed” - I couldn’t help but had this thinking.

All these experiences took quite some time, because x, y guys and I took turns in his ministration.

At a point, he switched topic and started telling us about the number 666 and how the devil has come to destroy the world. He advised us to change any of our personal stuffs that have to do with number 6, be it our phone PW, debit card PW or anything. He made us wrote down our passwords including debit cards on a sheet of paper.

It was time to reveal the mystery woman to me who has been marking down my footprints, my heart beat skipped in dismay and outright anger filled my head.

We had to take turns in hearing the biggest revelation of our lives because we all had unknown evil persons working their a$se$ out day and night just to make sure we don’t attain any successful endeavor.

Mr. A told the x guy to move ahead of us while counting till the 7th electric pole at the right, he also asked him to drop everything behind not to cause himself any distraction and while he moves he shouldn’t look left, right or back. Lastly, he should pick sand from the 7th pole and wait for us there. The x nigga GAVE ME his phone, wallet and that piece of paper where he had written his passwords and took off without hesitation.

In the meantime, while x guy has gone, Mr. A told us about one Agnes and Mr. James and how Mr. James blinded x guy’s father, still the x guy still takes care of Mr. James children living with him. Mr. A told us to first ask the x guy if he recognizes any of them in his family.

As we approached x guy who by the already completed the mini-quest, Mr. A excused himself as we asked the x guy if he knows any of the names we were told to ask him. x guy confirmed all true and said Mr. James is his uncle while Agnes is his inlaw. He even went ahead and told us about Mr. James children that stay with him. we went ahead telling him how Mr. James blinded his father, this grown nigga almost burst out in tears in our presence, we consoled him.

It got to my turn, I was given almost same instructions what differs was, I was asked to count up to the 11th pole. That’s was quite a sum sha for a nigga who hasn’t eaten. I gave y guy my stuffs to hold for me, Yeh everything including a face cap I was putting on – Just how I was advised by Mr. A to avoid any form of distractions.

I took off immediately like some space rocket was shoved in my as$. I jogged like I never did before and when I reached the 11th pole there was a mini bar just behind and people where cooling off the sunny afternoon with their chilled green bottle. It occurred to me how to pick up sands there without those people thinking I’m nut. I went to the pole picked the sand without giving a crap what they might think about me.

Moment of Truth

I was breathing like a 120-year-old man who was forced to run a 100-meter race while looking down the road to see if they’re catching up with me. I saw no trace of the 3 of them. Took the pain went back and forth from where I was asked to start counting the poles, baba! They've all disappeared.

I managed to use strangers phone to call my line claiming it fell out of me, it rang for a moment with no answer. It was later switched off
At that point their cunny little actions started adding up and I began to see the bigger picture. Our debit card’s password we wrote down, my two debit cards, my phone, my wallet I left behind. It all made sense. It all seemed I was in a hypnotic state with no way out.

All these happened to me in the blink of an eye, while I was thinking it to be one of the most significant moment of life, Lol it was truly the worst mehn.

Quick hint: always try not to put all your valuables in your wallet or bag, while they’re easy to access, they’re easier to get stolen or lost.

Spoiler Alert!

Obviously the bringing in of x and y guys into the picture was a planned work. That’s how they operate in groups. Just so you won’t see yourself doing weird things alone.

These scallywags usually aim at weekends, when most public offices are closed. just so to carry out their diabolic acts seamlessly. if it was on a working day I would’ve reported to the bank and get my account blocked ASAP.

There bought my attention right at the beginning by saying facts about me, they won’t ask you to follow them but you would most eventually out of curiosity and to get more insight.

They mostly aim at people coming out of an atm. Because of course you can’t just go an atm to stare at the machines. You just accessed your bank account that’s makes you a potential client.

The way he spoke in a calm tone, with confidence and authority, will make you to be able to confined in them. All these are just to buy your trust so when they ask you to do certain stuff you most likely won’t hesitate.

They’ll most likely perform a trick on you just as they did to me with my saliva. They do this just to make you see them as a somewhat anointed or superior person.

Lastly, if any stranger asks you to count – READ MY LIPS – E-L-E-C-T-R-I-C P-O-L-E… Baba!! Run for your life oo, or better still scream so loud to draw attention and make the person explain himself. There’s no doubt he’s a scammer.
What isn’t clear to me was whether I was jazzed or not. If I wasn’t, what describes the unorthodox act of rubbing my saliva all over my hands and forehead?

I hope you read, learn and share my experience, you might just be saving someone’s fortune.

Stay blessed!
I think it's every where. This happened to me and my friend in Akure few years ago.
It's a little bit different tho.
After they collected my phone and told me to be expecting it soon
I changed it for the man and he gave me 2 hot slaps, I am a thin guy. My friend that was fat (huge) was just begging the man. I told him I am not leaving without my phone.

Well I saw one of the guys 2yrs after and he came to me again.
Come and look at how I was shouting like a dog.
He ran away instantly.
I will tell my story too any time I am less busy.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by fabregas04(m): 3:10pm On Feb 07, 2019
geek4k:
Hey guys!

Moment of Truth

Spoiler Alert!

Stay blessed!
despite all d various warnings by Banks etc never to release ATM passwords etc to strangers, even bank officials, u still fell for this cheap tricks. the fact that u claimed to have lived in Abj 4d past 20yrs makes it worse.
i had similar exp. in 2003 somewhere at Garki ii, close to CBN quarters when i was just in my early 20s. d guy approached me for direction as usual, "oga i no know d place oo" just as i ended my response, 2 other guys came from nowhere, they directed him. one would expect the whole thing to end there, but no, Mr A said he was going to bless us 4 helping him. "bless them na, wetin be ma own" i inquired and wanted to take my leave, his response was that i was the first person he approached so he needed to bless me as well, even more that theirs. i began to sense scam. he came up with same spiritual abrakadabra and x and y were responding in affirmative to all he said while i was always reluctant, at that point i knew it was a planned work. fast forward, x and y agreed to drop a certain amount of money while i told them i left my wallet at d office and that they should wait for me to get it. that was how i lost them.

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by WeighWordSon(m): 3:11pm On Feb 07, 2019
Nah only 'fufu' (phone) scam i done ever fall for. And the year was 2008.... Based on logistics, guy don wise up ever since!
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by PapaAdanna: 3:11pm On Feb 07, 2019
So did they use ur ATM to collect your money because you recounted dropping ur cards and pin
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 07, 2019
If God wants to reveal something to you, he will tell you.

Stop following My Pastor said, my prophet said and my mother said, when you are above 30.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Mike008(m): 3:16pm On Feb 07, 2019
Interesting indeed.
This is a very old trick. Happened to so many people around me I will be quick to recognise one.

The truth is, they hypnotize you, so you can't stop yourself from doing their bidding the moment you fall into their 100% total control zone.
I think these people are picky with their victims. I don't think their targets are people that are necessarily rich but if you are dumb, a religious bigot, fetish or kind to a fault, you will easily fall for their trick.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by WeighWordSon(m): 3:17pm On Feb 07, 2019
adebayo3449:

I think it's every where. This happened to me and my friend in Akure few years ago.
It's a little bit different tho.
After they collected my phone and told me to be expecting it soon
I changed it for the man and he gave me 2 hot slaps, I am a thin guy. My friend that was fat (huge) was just begging the man. I told him I am not leaving without my phone.

Well I saw one of the guys 2yrs after and he came to me again.
Come and look at how I was shouting like a dog.
He ran away instantly.
I will tell my story too any time I am less busy.

eehhn... Don't tell me you laid him off just like dat?... Walahi, if I were you ehn, the way i will hold on to him and rip him off ehn... Shoooo
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Itzurboi(m): 3:17pm On Feb 07, 2019
If op nah cat, dem for don kill ham since.... #curiousity in the name of religion.
The only time you can trigger ma curiousity state is when the topic is about science and tech discuss.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by akaahs(m): 3:20pm On Feb 07, 2019
op so sorry. i met the same set of people in 2016 at AYA close to eco bank after morning mass on saturday morning. they used the same trick on me but i can only say is God that saved me that day. in my case it was only one guy. after all the prophesies, i was ask to drop my atm with the pass word which gave with a wrong pass word but the man looked at me and said why do i choose to lied to him, it was at that moment i know im in a deep shit. i collected my atm with boldness in me and zoom off.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 07, 2019
faithfull18:
I almost fell for some thing similar in December. They really appealed to the emotional side of me.

He told me he was a foreigner from one African country and he came in with goods to sell but he doesn't understand our currency and the equivalent of the value of the goods in naira.

As someone who doesn't like people being cheated, he begged me to assist with money collection. Initially, when he first approached me , he told me he was looking for an address, which I told him I didn't know. I advised him to call his contact person, he said his phone was dead. I told him to ask others.

I was already going my way, when a man he approached asked me in Yoruba what Mr. A was saying like he didn't understand English. I told him what he told me, only for Mr. B to start encouraging me to help him, that he would assist also.

He kept pushing to follow Mr. A to ask him questions. In my mind, I was already telling myself if it involved going into an enclosed/hidden place, I wouldn't follow them.

I was even joking around with Mr. B not knowing he was a part of the plan. Mr A mentioned his goods were somewhere along Luth road, I knew if anything happened to me on that road, I was on my own. So, I insisted we trekked.

He kept saying he didn't have money in Naira and he didn't know if the bike men would accept dollars.

The fact that I was on my way back home from work and I was tired was my saving grace. It occurred to me and I was thinking how come I was the only one the guy saw to contact for help if he came down all the way from Surulere to Yaba and he couldn't get anybody.

By this time, it was getting dark, I was tired. I just told both of them to get someone else to help that I wasn't willing to help out again.

I move around cashless but this particular day I had cash on me, devices that costs a lot too. That was how I escaped oh. Offering help now can be scary because it's getting difficult differentiating the genuine from fake.

The emotion of sympathy is a trap.

Most people lack knowledge of how to handle leading to self jeopardy.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by mancheeutd(m): 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2019
Am not bragging it's all by the grace of God... Curiosity made you follow them
Since the day I came across this verse have always been out of trouble...again it's by grace not being boastful

LET THIS BE YOUR AMBITION IN LIFE TO LIVE A QUIET LIFE, MINDING YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND DOING YOUR OWN WORK
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Bestchisom(m): 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2019
I can remember some years back when I was little... Lets say i was 15-17years old... My mum gave me some money to use and buy some clothes for myself... It's was a festive period... I think so... With the joy in my heart... I storm the market.. I was already picturing how I'll rock my new clothes because before then I have already thought of the kind of clothes I'll buy...
When I got to the market, a guy stopped me... Another guy came along to play the game. He was like have u heard about the promo gotv is doing for the public... I was like NO!!... My "No" was sure because I watched gotv a day before the day I went to the market but didn't see any advertisement concerning the promo... How the man convinced me that gotv was really doing promo, I can't tell(maybe because I was still little)... He took me to one corner of the market and should me goodies I can win if I'm lucky(amongst it was electric kettle, iron, standing fan, spoons, etc)... The guy brought out a card I will use in playing the game.. I can't remember how the game was played... But I can remember that I failed many times but the keep giving me more chances to play until I won... I was told that I can't see wat I won until I brought a particular amount of money...
At that point I was like.. so I go come use this small money wey dey my pocket play game...

. NOTE: the other guy that showed up was there to play as another customer that came to try his luck... He was actually working with the first guy... He played and won before me and paid... He then stayed back to convince me to play and pay...
I come tell them... Oya make una excuse me make I go collect one of my friends money come play... Lol... They told me if I leave there I have forfeited the game... I just walked out...
I told a friend the following day.. He told me that I was lucky to have not paid. He said if I had paid, I would have not won any big price... Just those little ones... Imagine paying like 3k to win spoon or hand fan...
Forgive my blunders... I'm not a good writer...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by adecz: 3:32pm On Feb 07, 2019
a very old trick..... undecided undecided :- undecided undecided
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by dammy207: 3:35pm On Feb 07, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

sadly... i disagree with the above!!!! writing ALL your secret pin down on a piece of paper then giving it to a total stranger, along with all your bank cards AND phone?!?!?!?!?! bro, as polite as i wanna be, whoever does that is the DUMBEST person out there and no wonder they easily get scammed.
Believe me I always have this opinion too that nobody can duped me not until last year. I was driving a hilux company bus and this guy approached me telling me he works with glo and even showed me his ID card .. He told me he needed to carry some chips that their vehicle broke down. Initially I resisted but he begged me and promised to pay 30k. I was happy, I had to drive him down to Ikeja immediately and when we got there because of hold up he started telling me that I can't move around anyhow that my vehicle is a commercial vehicle because of the red plate number that my vehicle will be impounded because we re at airport road. He said I should borrow him like 20k that he needs to pay some gate fees. Probably he used jazz immediately I dropped the money for him. He went to the bank to pay the money and came back with a receipt . immediately he said we should rush down to the place he carry the goods. When we got there he told me his phone his dead that he used to use my phone to call the person. I don't know why I was so relaxed with him probably he has use jazz to hold me. This guy left with my phone, it was after five minutes that my eyes cleared. That day my loss was almost 80k. I almost cried that even that day I almost got accident while driving home. So the issue is this people use jazz forget that you're smart. The truth is I have never said this thing to anyone close to me because they will laugh at me just because they know me to be very smart and intelligent. The same thing happened to my mum b4, she was duped of 150k. They called her on phone and told her to go and withdraw the money for them. She did it was after she got home that her eyes opened. When she told me and my bro we didn't believe. We asked her to give us the number, it was my brother that called the number first trying to pretend to do business with him. Immediately he called the man he was having serious headache holding his head tightly. I did called home too and was having the same feelings that I couldn't do anything for good 10mins. This is to tell you that all this scammer usually use jazz not that they only sweet talk alone. And believe me my people jazz pass jazz ooo

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by akaahs(m): 3:35pm On Feb 07, 2019
princejenks:
Chai! the part that pained me was that he still didn't reveal that person to you after walking to the 11th pole! Seriously,what's really going on in abuja these days,the other day my gf told me how her friend lost her samsung that costs over a 120k to some guy who gave her a lift only for him to ask to see her fone after she received a call,dude later stopped the vehicle and told the lady to get out cos he wanted to make a U-turn,before she knew what's up,he had zoomed off with her fone. Next day my gf was going to work,she had dropped at her main busstop and was trekking to her office cos it's a trekkable distance when a guy offered her a lift,next he started proposing to her as soon as she entered but she wasn't responding cos she had her earpiece on,he snatched her fone which she'd plugged her earpiece to listen to her favorite radio programme then he came down after pinning the locks and started embarassing her with a public proposal with her fone still with him,she didn't give a ruck about what he was saying but was yelling at him to give her back her phone which he reluctantly did after some people close to her work place started gathering to know what the matter was. These folks are getting very brazen these days dats why u don't give them face or audience when they start their cock and bull stories,I just zoom off,no time!
u sef, ur gf love awoof too much dispite the first experience, she still enter lift
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by dammy207: 3:35pm On Feb 07, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

sadly... i disagree with the above!!!! writing ALL your secret pin down on a piece of paper then giving it to a total stranger, along with all your bank cards AND phone?!?!?!?!?! bro, as polite as i wanna be, whoever does that is the DUMBEST person out there and no wonder they easily get scammed.
Believe me I always have this opinion too that nobody can duped me not until last year. I was driving a hilux company bus and this guy approached me telling me he works with glo and even showed me his ID card .. He told me he needed to carry some chips that their vehicle broke down. Initially I resisted but he begged me and promised to pay 30k. I was happy, I had to drive him down to Ikeja immediately and when we got there because of hold up he started telling me that I can't move around anyhow that my vehicle is a commercial vehicle because of the red plate number that my vehicle will be impounded because we re at airport road. He said I should borrow him like 20k that he needs to pay some gate fees. Probably he used jazz immediately I dropped the money for him. He went to the bank to pay the money and came back with a receipt . immediately he said we should rush down to the place he carry the goods. When we got there he told me his phone his dead that he used to use my phone to call the person. I don't know why I was so relaxed with him probably he has use jazz to hold me. This guy left with my phone, it was after five minutes that my eyes cleared. That day my loss was almost 80k. I almost cried that even that day I almost got accident while driving home. So the issue is this people use jazz forget that you're smart. The truth is I have never said this thing to anyone close to me because they will laugh at me just because they know me to be very smart and intelligent. The same thing happened to my mum b4, she was duped of 150k. They called her on phone and told her to go and withdraw the money for them. She did it was after she got home that her eyes opened. When she told me and my bro we didn't believe. We asked her to give us the number, it was my brother that called the number first trying to pretend to do business with him. Immediately he called the man he was having serious headache holding his head tightly. I did called home too and was having the same feelings that I couldn't do anything for good 10mins. This is to tell you that all this scammer usually use jazz not that they only sweet talk alone. And believe me my people jazz pass jazz ooo

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 07, 2019
Bluffly:

You be mumu. As old as you are, you never hear this kain approach? Even when I was way younger they tried it but as a street boy I decode them right from the beginning the second step of introducing two new fellows.
Infact na me con almost defraud them before them come give me salute. For this Naija. Dem go try sha
Mumu stop quoting long write up
Can't u drop ur comment like others

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by iamoluwatosin: 3:39pm On Feb 07, 2019
dis same man has approached me also in kubwa nnpc..but I was lucky to escape his tricks...and I was having abt 50k in my pocket
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by miqos02(m): 3:40pm On Feb 07, 2019
geek4k:

They walked towards Mr. A[b]. Just out of curiosity, I followed them. [/b]

you caused the wahala for yourself, you should not have followed strangers out of curiosity
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by comtem2011: 3:40pm On Feb 07, 2019
chloride6:
Don't sweat it dude..

No be ordinary mouth them take follow you talk..

grin
Exactly. Its not ordinary.
Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Oronto: 3:42pm On Feb 07, 2019
Weldone for having the courage to share and educate others. You shall surely get back that which you have lost. Those claiming smart men pray your chapter is not opened, because the least you expect that where they will hit from

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by cutefy: 3:44pm On Feb 07, 2019
Hang around, you must surely see them one day doing the same thing to another victim. When that moment comes, seize it!

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by hope4life: 3:50pm On Feb 07, 2019
kevoh:
Just to clear the air, you don't need to wait till business/work days to block your account. You can call your bank's customer service right away to block it.

The simplest method is dia *966*911# with the phone number you used to open the account.A page will pop up asking whether to disallow debit transaction, press yes and that's all.You may not get thru to customer's no.Pls share the number

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. by Eze2000(m): 3:51pm On Feb 07, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
like taking candy from a child... lol! with all due respect, how gullible must you be to fall for such a cheap nonsense scam?!

the minute that guy asked you to write you pin down, thats when you should have, AT LEAST, been suspicious that it was a scam.
RULE #1 NEVER EVER give your bank card/telephone pin to ANYONE!

Go and google and read about hypnosis then come back and apologize to the op.

Hypnosis is a simple process most fraudsters use now. The victim's eyes are open but his mind is dumbed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gideon Morik's Daughter Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In Kaduna (Graphic Photos) / Commuters Run As Armed Men Rob Motorists On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Video) / Makeup Artist Commits Suicide After Lover Dumped Her Via Phone Call (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.