Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,202 members, 7,822,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Forced To Vote Against His Wish - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Forced To Vote Against His Wish (2418 Views)

Buhari Explains What Is On His ‘wish List’ For The G7 / We Were Forced To Rig In Favour Of APC - INEC Official / BAKARE BOMBSHELL: How I Was Forced To Sign Resignation Letter As VP Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Forced To Vote Against His Wish by smile4kenn(m): 3:30pm On Apr 23, 2007
I just read about how a Nigerian was forced to vote agaist his wish.

Nigerian: 'Forced to vote against my wish'
A member of the BBC News website's Nigerian voter panel, student Donaman Atezan, 25, in Gboko in central Nigeria tells how thugs forced him to vote for the ruling People's Democratic Party's presidential candidate.

"Less than an hour after I spoke to the BBC News website on Saturday, relating how I had been unable to vote, my situation changed.

I was just heading home from a friend's place when I saw very few people (predominantly the electoral officers and thugs) cluster around my polling unit in Adikpo.

I hurriedly rushed to the place to satisfy my curiosity and discovered that, the said late hour election was nothing but mere eye service as most eligible voters were not even aware of the presence of the electoral material at this time.

The few that were aware were scared to come near since it was already dark and there was no source of light around.

The thugs were then left alone to vote and each one of them voted over and over as many times as there were ballot papers available.

While this was going on, I presented my voters ID card so I could too receive ballot papers.

As an unfamiliar face, the electoral officer reluctantly gave me only two of the ballot papers instead of three.

One was for the presidency and the other for the federal house of representatives.

But that of the Senate for the Zone A senatorial district of Benue was completely absent.

'Two big guys'

As I got to the ballot box with the two ballot papers to cast my vote, two rugged-looking guys suddenly stood beside me anxiously watching to see who I was voting for, even though the election was said to be a secret ballot.

Security is tight at the election offices in the capital

I had voted for an opposition party and immediately the two big guys seized it and said I shouldn't cast my vote.

One of them removed my ballot paper which was already thumb printed and just made a bigger print in the space for the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP) thus rendering my ballot invalid.

Out of fear and intimidation, I asked them which party presidential candidate I should vote for.

The other guy said: "Vote the PDP, don't you want to eat?"

So was I forced to cast my vote for the PDP against my wish to escape their wrath.

This is the plight the Nigerian youth is in, no job, no food on the table, no light, no water, no accessible roads, insecurity and even our civic rights; we are denied from carrying out.

I only wish I had the opportunity and privilege to leave Nigeria after my graduation later this year.

I want to go to the West so as to hustle there and start a better life.

Here we, the Nigerian youth, has a very slim hope or none at all. "

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6583633.stm
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by oyinboaja: 5:14pm On Apr 23, 2007
all the people wey dey drag 9ja backward no go get peace for their lives
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by alanbolo(m): 5:39pm On Apr 23, 2007
oyinboaja:

all the people wey dey drag Nigeria backward no go get peace for their lives
  Amen and Amen
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by deejay1(m): 5:57pm On Apr 23, 2007
am not saying this can't happen but DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU LISTEN TO ON BBC NEWS? I dont anyway
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by jockey112(m): 6:00pm On Apr 23, 2007
BBC Again !!!!!!!
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by TayoD(m): 6:04pm On Apr 23, 2007
deejay1,

am not saying this can't happen but DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU LISTEN TO ON BBC NEWS? I don't anyway

I'm almost certain this story is true.  I called naija yesterday and was told by my mom that she didn't bother to vote because everyone was turned back by thugs during the governorship election.  the thugs told them they have voted on their behalf and won't be needed to do anything.

It is all so annoying.

If Yar'adua sas any inherent sense of integrity, he would refuse to be sworn in based on the electoral rape we witnessed on Saturday.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by buluti(m): 6:18pm On Apr 23, 2007
deejay1:

am not saying this can't happen but DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE IN WHAT YOU LISTEN TO ON BBC NEWS? I don't anyway

jockey112:

BBC Again !!!!!!!

Let us keep deceiving ourselves and blame BBC, yes BBC is lieing they paid "Donaman Atezan, 25" in Gboko (meaning the story can be verified, it is not a unanimous Nigerian living somewhere in the country, name, age and location was stated) to tell a lie becos Nigeria must be destroyed at all cost.

Why wonder why we had such an election ?? perhaps we should blame the BBC for the thugs am sure they paid them to wreck the image of Nigeria.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by McKren(m): 6:24pm On Apr 23, 2007
Who ever doubts this story has either never been in naija before or at least did not witness 1999 and 2003 elections. Thats practically what elections are all about in naija "the more thugs you have the more votes you have" This includes the opposition and is basically the reason for AC winning in Lagos, PPA in Abia, ANPP in their strongholds in Northern States and PDP everywhere else that they have a sitting Governor.

If Yar'adua sas any inherent sense of integrity, he would refuse to be sworn in based on the electoral rape we witnessed on Saturday.

I dont agree with you cos at this stage in our national life we should be more concerned about the output of our election than the process.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by windywendy(f): 6:34pm On Apr 23, 2007
TayoD:

deejay1,

. . . I called naija yesterday and was told by my mom that she didn't bother to vote because everyone was turned back by thugs during the governorship election.  the thugs told them they have voted on their behalf . . .

Very hilarious cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Badman888(m): 9:01pm On Apr 23, 2007
This story is definately true, it happens alot of times in polling stations, during the last elections people were beating up for not voting ANPP and thier paper was torn by youths
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Leadmyster(m): 9:04pm On Apr 23, 2007
Forced to vote, Thats just not true
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Paulmcs(m): 10:39pm On Apr 23, 2007
If the story was that some thugs were shooting people that did not vote PDP, I would have still believed, Abi don't you know the country we have. You see report have that 200 people might have died during the election process and I promise you that dat figure does not even strike a cord with anyone because , I mean its just 200 people in the minority. And minority is me and you! as long as you are not under the umbrella.

Its true that some of these foreign media tend to slander our image with reports like this, but for crying out loud, I don't blame them because I can't see what other good thing (yet) to talk about in Naija

I witnessed elections in France on sunday, not one single violence or armed security agents. Elections opened 8am and closed 8pm, Guess when the results was announced, 8pm!

So you see its amusing to them to have such reports,
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by OLAOLUYEMI(m): 12:41am On Apr 24, 2007
It is very sad to know that we still have some people who beleive all that the read or hear on CNN/BBC about AFRICA and the ARABs ( and the Islamic countries) Listen this people are self centred and are out their to paint the image of our country and continent red .

I read that and I was gutted, to hell with them. Nigeria is here to stay and what we need is stability more than anything else at this crucial time.

LONG LIVE NIGERIA
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by smile4kenn(m): 5:30am On Apr 24, 2007
TayoD:

deejay1,

I'm almost certain this story is true. I called naija yesterday and was told by my mom that she didn't bother to vote because everyone was turned back by thugs during the governorship election. the thugs told them they have voted on their behalf and won't be needed to do anything.

It is all so annoying.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is funny.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by texazzpete(m): 9:51am On Apr 24, 2007
OLAOLUYEMI:

It is very sad to know that we still have some people who beleive all that the read or hear on CNN/BBC about AFRICA and the ARABs ( and the Islamic countries) Listen this people are self centred and are out their to paint the image of our country and continent red .

I read that and I was gutted, to hell with them. Nigeria is here to stay and what we need is stability more than anything else at this crucial time.

LONG LIVE NIGERIA

Conspiracy theorist idiots like you are part of the reason why Nigeria never progresses, choosing to bury your head in the sand and blame others for you/our misfortune.

I myself was 'forced' to vote for PDP in a 'secret' ballot where i voted under the watchful eyes of 7 huge men and the INEC official.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by deyour(f): 1:47pm On Apr 24, 2007
texazzpete:

Conspiracy theorist idiots like you are part of the reason why Nigeria never progresses, choosing to bury your head in the sand and blame others for you/our misfortune.

I myself was 'forced' to vote for PDP in a 'secret' ballot where i voted under the watchful eyes of 7 huge men and the INEC official.

Haba, the insult wasn't necessary. You should have just confirmed the story
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by 9ja4eva: 1:52pm On Apr 24, 2007
deejay1:

I second
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Leadmyster(m): 3:53pm On Apr 24, 2007
@tex,

Could you please expantiate on how they forced you to vote, did you not leave your house by yourself?

How were you picked out to be forced to vote cos this never happened even in military days
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by TayoD(m): 3:58pm On Apr 24, 2007
@Leadmyster,

Could you please expantiate on how they forced you to vote, did you not leave your house by yourself?

How were you picked out to be forced to vote because this never happened even in military days

You are either naive or stupid. You go to a polling booth and 7 huge men surround you watching what you will do in what is meant to be a secret ballot. Tell, me, is that a vote basd on free will or coercion?
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Leadmyster(m): 4:02pm On Apr 24, 2007
Nice one Tayod,

I may be naive or stupid, but 200 hefty men would not make me change my vote in Lagos

it will never happen, not in my own yard.

PS: I dont like you
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by texazzpete(m): 4:15pm On Apr 24, 2007
@Leadmyster
I think TayoD said all that needed to be said.  You really need to let logic kick in before talking.
And quit the childish bravado. forget about lagos, anyways, 7 Huge men in Port Harcourt will force you to vote anyday.

@TayoD
it's exactly lik eyou said, man! I went out to vote, got to the polling booth, the ballot paper was placed on the table right there in front of the INEC official and she told me to thumb print. the guy before me wanted to vote in secret, he wasn't allowed. When it got to my turn, the guys crowded around me and told me in a menacing voice "i hope say na PDP u wan vote?"
Seeing as i woulda voted for Yar'Adua anyway, i voted for PDP and i tried to leave. The guys told me i must vote for PDP for senate too. I told them i didnt knwo th eguy for PDP and i was going to abstain from voting for anybody for the senate as i couldn't vote for someone i didnt know. Instantly they crowded in on me, and the leader told me that "You don vote correct for president, the president sef na im go rule alone? abeg vote PDP for senate jo! Abi u no wan democracy?"

I place great value on my state of health and i'm don't really care to lose my front teeth. i voted for PDP for senate. till date, i dunno who the guy is, if na Cliffor Orji sef, i no know!
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Genial(m): 4:15pm On Apr 24, 2007
Leadmyster:

Nice one Tayod,

I may be naive or stupid, but 200 hefty men would not make me change my vote in Lagos

PS: I don't like you

Now it's official. This is fiction.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by TayoD(m): 5:35pm On Apr 24, 2007
@Leadmyster,

Nice one Tayod,
PS: I don't like you
Now it's confirmed. You are unrevocably stupid!
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by twinstaiye(m): 5:36pm On Apr 24, 2007
That story is preposterous! I don't believe it one bit. If there is any iota of truth therein, then it may not be the way the BBC relates it. Has anyone ask how come this foreign news carried bad side of us than the good side. Where I voted last Saturday in Abuja, it was so peaceful that even most of us stay in the sun to cast our vote, we even discuss the candidates while on the queue, with some of us even telling each other where our votes will go. How come that was not reported? The truth is, we have had an election, let anyone who wants the end of Nigeria as they have predicted continue to make noise. We will get it right one day, afterall Rome was not built in a day.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Mariory(m): 6:13pm On Apr 24, 2007
Exactly twinstaiye. if you look on the BBC website where voters sent in their experiences. There are several who have said the voting was peacefull, free and fair. But that doesn't constitute article material when talking about Africa.

Check it out.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6577091.stm

Reporter's log
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6577041.stm
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by buluti(m): 7:54pm On Apr 24, 2007
We should keep living in denial, when all the observers have stated their opinions.

No the BBC should have stated the election was free and fair, there was no intimidation and everyone was allowed to vote freely. Even at the face of concrete evidence viz texx & Tayo's mum experiences some are still blaming the BBC.

We just want to be told lies, thats why we deserve what we are getting, why complain of NTA, they are broadcasting what you want to hear.

These same western media are stunch critics of their own systems ensuring that they have accountability but no "some" prefer to be told lies. You are entitled to your opinions though but lets know the world is outside Nigeria and the source of the news they "trust" is these news you are calling lies which has evidence i.e. videos and interviews.

Do you think if there was violence or intimidation during the french election, the BBC or CNN wont report it, they are not reporting it becos it didnt happen.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Leadmyster(m): 9:50pm On Apr 24, 2007
@tex,
Thanks for taking time to explain, i just wanted to see the full picture. I don't see how i came out as childish but u have a right to your opinion.

From your statement, you were persuaded not FORCED, you could have said NO. I still defend the statement that 200 thugs anywhere will not make me change my mind because unlike you i will be happy to lose my front tooth or even my life for my opinion.

@tayoD,

u know what, im in a good mood today and i can't even be bothered to reply u. But i hope you never do it again.

I REALLY THINK ITS STUPID YOU TWO CAN'T PUT YOUR VIEWS ACROSS WITHOUT BEING RUDE
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by OLAOLUYEMI(m): 10:24pm On Apr 24, 2007
texazzpete:

Hey brother!! I understand where you are coming from, but there are better ways of getting your message across without the INSULT. This is an interactive forum where we can all freely express our views, and you do have every right disagree with me and argue your point for everyone to see from your point of view. WE ARE ALL VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT NIGERIA as we(as a nation) have failed to learn from our past,couple with our corrupt leaders.

But dis foreign medias are fond of picking out the negative story about Africa to capitalise . It is important for us to 1/2 dis at the back of our mind.

WE SHALL GET THERE 1DAY, LONG LIVE NAIJA
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by Leadmyster(m): 10:27pm On Apr 24, 2007
TayoD is a pussy
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by McDoe(m): 8:32am On Apr 25, 2007
The post is factual. For instance, during the guber poll in Delta State, you dare not; I repeat, dare not mention another party's name while on the voting queue (if there was any anyway) otherwise, you will be lynched. It's no gainsaying that the whole exercise was a sham and felt short of our expectations
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by agnesoseka: 8:50am On Apr 25, 2007
Its such a shame,May God help Nigeria.
Re: Forced To Vote Against His Wish by texazzpete(m): 10:05am On Apr 25, 2007
@Ola, Leadmyster
Apologies if i came across as rude. We'll get along better next time!

Now that we've got that out of the way. . .

twinstaiye:

That story is preposterous! I don't believe it one bit. If there is any iota of truth therein, then it may not be the way the BBC relates it. Has anyone ask how come this foreign news carried bad side of us than the good side. Where I voted last Saturday in Abuja, it was so peaceful that even most of us stay in the sun to cast our vote, we even discuss the candidates while on the queue, with some of us even telling each other where our votes will go. How come that was not reported? The truth is, we have had an election, let anyone who wants the end of Nigeria as they have predicted continue to make noise. We will get it right one day, afterall Rome was not built in a day.

Don't you see?! the answer is obvious. Elections are normally supposed to be free and fair and totally peaceful. Why report the mundane? it's when there's violence and destruction that it becomes a hot news item. Honestly, do you want to be told every single time a cow at obasanjo farms is milked? No! But we want to know if that cow develops mad cow disease! So why would it surprise you when stories of violence and oppresion fills the airwaves?

OLAOLUYEMI:

But this foreign medias are fond of picking out the negative story about Africa to capitalise . It is important for us to 1/2 this at the back of our mind.

Wasn't it an American paper that reported on the prisoner abuse at the Abu Ghraib prison? Didnt the Virginia Tech shootings get lots of play in American media? SO let's stop with the 'Western media is targetting africans' story.
We musn't forget that lots of things happen in Africa that are incomprehensible to observers and journalists in the western world, like opposing politicians being arrested at a rally and beaten bloody (zimbabwe), MASSIVE rigging of elections (Nigeria), millitant attacks and kidnappings for ransom (Nigeria) etc. These make great news for their viewers.

At least i sincerely hope that none of y'all are weird enough to believe that Bush and Blair issue orders to CNN and BBC to tarnish africa's image for strategic reasons. if so, then you're no better than those waiting for aliens to come carry them in their spaceships, and second only to those geezers that line their caps with aluminium foil to prevent green martians from reading their thoughts  grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Baba Iyabo Must Let Go Of Politics / Thousands Stranded In American Airport As Computer Systems Crash. / Senate Investigates Gbenga Daniel's Brutality On Iyabo Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.