Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,491 members, 7,850,721 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:00 AM

Yorubas Back Uncle Joe - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Back Uncle Joe (5461 Views)

How Uncle Joe Celebrated His Birthday / Dear Uncle Joe, An Open Letter To President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan. / North Gives Uncle Joe The Greenlight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by excanny: 4:05pm On Aug 26, 2010
sbeezy8:

LOL Mko abiola won in 1993 fair and square- everyone voted for him except the large amount of igbos- which is ok.

Awo contestested and lost- which was OK did you hear yoruba crying for Oduduwa republic or wanting to secede after Awo lost in 1960 and 1979? NO Afterall we didnt die over Awo losing to Balewa and Zik as second.

so whats the deal with igbos like you? If you want to contest GO HEAD AND STOP DISTURBING YORUBA PEOPLE

You make me laugh in a deep scandinavian dialect. To some extent, 1993 elections was fair, but not as square as Yoruba propaganda protrays it.

Let me ask you something. Why was the first primaries to that election cancelled and repeated? What about the allegations of public money sharing done in cities like Ibadan and co?

Typical of a Yoruba ronu. Neither here nor there in agreements. That's why i'm not suprised when you speak the way you do.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sbeezy8: 4:18pm On Aug 26, 2010
excanny:

You make me laugh in a deep scandinavian dialect. To some extent, 1993 elections was fair, but not as square as Yoruba propaganda protrays it.

Let me ask you something. Why was the first primaries to that election cancelled and repeated? What about the allegations of public money sharing done in cities like Ibadan and co?

Typical of a Yoruba ronu. Neither here nor there in agreements. That's why i'm not suprised when you speak the way you do.

Go and ask those who were in it, I dont know anything about money being shared between Elite in the SW. Since when did Elite in Ibadan speak for Yoruba people in Kwara, Kogi and Niger? lol

You think 10-20 in the SW/Middle belt elite can speak for 30-40 million  yoruba people? If you believe that you be real mugu if you think Obj himself can convince  all yoruba people to vote for a particular candidate not from the SW or yoruba esp when he couldnt even get them to vote for himself.

Even I myself can vote for an igbo- But I cant say 30-40 million yoruba who are christian and muslims IN the North and south will.

Even if Zoning is respected in PDP party you think 70 million muslim northerners will listen to a few Northern elite to vote for a christian southerner who they've never heard of? Lol if you believe that you are an . go and look at 2003 elections Obj loss half of the north to buhari the Other half was rigged by Northern govs who were seeking 2nd term in their states.

The North didnt agree for the SW to rule for 8 yrs- because buhari contested and won overwhemingly in the north.

common sense.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sbeezy8: 4:25pm On Aug 26, 2010
Even if a notherner comes to me and says all northerners will vote for you in 2015, If I vote for him in 2011- I would think to myself this guy is talking shiot.

"Me a christian yoruba from the south getting votes up north against A WELL KNOWN FULANI-HAUSA like Goje Ribadu, Elrufai? Its a lie can never happen" its not possible in a country that votes along religous lines esp in the north where religion is more important than ethnicity.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Lanrefemi: 4:27pm On Aug 26, 2010
Zoning is a PDP arrangement but sadly most people are taking it as part of our constitution.  i'm amazed that it's still difficult for the south east to back the south south! that really shows us the igbo mentallity.

Talking about the role of the yorubas during the civil war, I didn't want to talk about this but because i've seen a lot of comments on it in this thread i feel compelled to talk about it.  Gen gowon was the head of state, with military governors for each of the region then, including ojukwu for eastern region. power belongs to the military during this period, that was why it was easy for ojukwu as a military man to break away, even the great azikwe could not stop him from going to the war. Awolowo doesn't have the power to make the yorubas break away even if wishes so, he was a civilian.  The statement awolowo made that the south west  will go if nigeria allows the south east to go was just to press and threatning Gowon to act on time and not allow the south east to break away. The south east has their plan to break away already anyway, so why are the igbos now turning back to blame awolowo as if he was the one that took them to war.  
Lastly, if the igbos want to break away from nigeria its up to them, the yorubas are not.
It'sad that a lot of igbo writers on this thread are either ignorant or illitrates, the educated igbos home and abroad understands the facts and events of the war anyway.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sbeezy8: 4:31pm On Aug 26, 2010
Lanrefemi:

Zoning is a PDP arrangement but sadly most people are taking it as part of our constitution.  i'm amazed that it's still difficult for the south east to back the south south! that really shows us the igbo mentallity.

Talking about the role of the yorubas during the civil war, I didn't want to talk about this but because i've seen a lot of comments on it in this thread i feel compelled to talk about it.  Gen gowon was the head of state, with military governors for each of the region then, including ojukwu for eastern region. power belongs to the military during this period, that was why it was easy for ojukwu as a military man to break away, even the great azikwe could not stop him from going to the war. Awolowo doesn't have the power to make the yorubas break away even if wishes so, he was a civilian.  The statement awolowo made that the south west  will go if nigeria allows the south east to go was just to press and threatning Gowon to act on time and not allow the south east to break away. The south east has their plan to break away already anyway, so why are the igbos now turning back to blame awolowo as if he was the one that took them to war.   
Lastly, if the igbos want to break away from nigeria its up to them, the yorubas are not.
It'sad that a lot of igbo writers on this thread are either ignorant or illitrates, the educated igbos home and abroad understands the facts and events of the war anyway.

- what is this?

does it make sense to you we are not talking about igbo or yoruba civil war or anything we talking about getting votes up north and Zoning.  Im tired of talking about the same past move on.

and I dont even think you are yoruba and if you are get the hell outta here with rubbish talk.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Onlytruth(m): 4:41pm On Aug 26, 2010
Anyway, I'm back to my position, which is that Ndigbo should stick to the zoning agreement. It makes sense, and re-emphasizes our nature as a people who keep agreements. I know that many elements from south west will do everything, say everything, to make this look like a south east vs south south thing. IT IS NOT. This is about agreements.

And like I said before, the international community is watching. When the time comes, how do we explain that we are reneging on agreements? It was not easy for us to obtain support for the Biafra of 1967 because a lot of lies were peddled against us by the media and most of them stuck because the world did not know Nigeria then. Today is different. They are watching.

Ndigbo must not be emotional here. Jonathan is from the East, yes. But he is sitting on a position that came out because of zoning. Anyone making other arguments is a liar. Let us abide by the zoning agreement without caring whose ox is gored. cool
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Akanbiedu(m): 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2010
sbeezy8:

Go and ask those who were in it, I dont know anything about money being shared between Elite in the SW. Since when did Elite in Ibadan speak for Yoruba people in Kwara, Kogi and Niger? lol

You think 10-20 in the SW/Middle belt elite can speak for 30-40 million  yoruba people? If you believe that you be real mugu if you think Obj himself can convince  all yoruba people to vote for a particular candidate not from the SW or yoruba esp when he couldnt even get them to vote for himself.

Even I myself can vote for an igbo- But I cant say 30-40 million yoruba who are christian and muslims IN the North and south will.

Even if Zoning is respected in PDP party you think 70 million muslim northerners will listen to a few Northern elite to vote for a christian southerner who they've never heard of? Lol if you believe that you are an . go and look at 2003 elections Obj loss half of the north to buhari the Other half was rigged by Northern govs who were seeking 2nd term in their states.

The North didnt agree for the SW to rule for 8 yrs- because buhari contested and won overwhemingly in the north.

common sense.

Something is wrong with the bolded. If the northern elites didn't agree, they wouldn't have rigged in favour of Obasanjo. While it may be correct to say the Northern masses voted Buhari, Rigging it in favour of Obasanjo by their elites means they(elites) agree to zoning. Forget the argument that the masses voted Buhari, it is whatever decision the elites take that is representative of the people.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Onlytruth(m): 4:52pm On Aug 26, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Dude, u r just so, arrrrghh. . . . . ! I dont know how u look but I can categorically say I HATE YOU! Youre such a confusionist its pathethic. Youre a freaking snake! You indirectly insinuated that the Edo people would join Biafra. Sjeezy basically said he didnt care! Now, u try to twist the whole conversation as if he's trying to force them to go with the Yorubas. Like, why r u Ibos so deceitful? Why r u so cunning?

grin grin grin grin grin grin. The rantings of a lunatic.

I sincerely hope u get mashed up by a 18 Wheeler before christmas of this year, thats how much ill I wish for your despicable aszz u piece of shiyyt!

Back to sender X10! Amen!  cool

And while at it, may a Brooklyn stray bullet pierce your right eye and emerge from your left ear!
slowpoke!
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Akanbiedu(m): 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

Anyway, I'm back to my position, which is that Ndigbo should stick to the zoning agreement. It makes sense, and re-emphasizes our nature as a people who keep agreements. I know that many elements from south west will do everything, say everything, to make this look like a south east vs south south thing. IT IS NOT. This is about agreements.

And like I said before, the international community is watching. When the time comes, how do we explain that we are reneging on agreements? It was not easy for us to obtain support for the Biafra of 1967 because a lot of lies were peddled against us by the media and most of them stuck because the world did not know Nigeria then. Today is different. They are watching.

Ndigbo must not be emotional here. Jonathan is from the East, yes. But he is sitting on a position that came out because of zoning. Anyone making other arguments is a liar. Let us abide by the zoning agreement without caring whose ox is gored. cool

I'd like the Yoruba elites to support zoning too. Agreements have to be respected in a multi-ethnic society like ours.

Yoruba leaders should not Follow Obj on this one, the man is simply out on a revenge mission. he works for himslef, only.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Onlytruth(m): 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

I'd like the Yoruba elites to support zoning too. Agreements have to be respected in a multi-ethnic society like ours.

Yoruba leaders should not Follow Obj on this one, the man is simply out on a revenge mission. he works for himslef, only.

Very well said.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by naso2(m): 5:01pm On Aug 26, 2010
Even GEJ supports zoning , but he will contest 2011 and most likely win tongue tongue tongue
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Lanrefemi: 5:11pm On Aug 26, 2010
@Sbeezy8, You can be abusive as you like, My comment was made as a result of lots of prejudices about tribe that has been mentioned from the begining of this thread, you have a right to your opinion though.

The issue i have with the zoning arrangement is that it's a PDP thing and it doesn't apply to other parties. for the sake of argument what will happen if labour candidate from southwest or south east wins the presidential election? will the northerners  still say its their turn? or are we saying indirectly that the president can never come from another party except the PDP? it's really scary.
I'm praying for the day nigerians will be able to vote for the best candidate, a president chosing not on religion or tribal alligiance but on merit. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sbeezy8: 5:15pm On Aug 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

Stick to Zoning and vote for IBB or any northerner  OR Jonathan doesnt really matter- its about a southern thing not yoruba igbo or ijaw. In case you didnt know northerners are lying about Zoning and the SW and Jonathan probably know that also, Im telling you to tell all the igbo leaders to never wait for a northerner to "hand over" to anyone, cause it will never happen! Mko died which made Obj president, and Yaradua died making Jonathan president.

Im telling you now- a Fashola or Elrufai, Ribadu type character emerge as presidential contestant in 2015/2019 and Jonathan winning in 2011- The Zoning is DEAD in the SW, Middle belt, Core north and Niger delta.

Im tired of saying the same thing- I guarantee the candidates in 2015 will be Jonathan, Elrufai, Goje, Saraki, Fashola !!!!, Elrufai, possibly Ribadu, Donald Duke again, and who ever from the SE be it Chime, Ohakim etc.

But in 2015- there will be no one stepping down for anyone- I GUARANTEE IT- only wits and real votes will count there are too many good candidates that will contest in 2015.

Akanbi_edu:

Something is wrong with the bolded. If the northern elites didn't agree, they wouldn't have rigged in favour of Obasanjo. While it may be correct to say the Northern masses voted Buhari, Rigging it in favour of Obasanjo by their elites means they(elites) agree to zoning. Forget the argument that the masses voted Buhari, it is whatever decision the elites take that is representative of the people.

didnt I just say OBJ was the incumbent or are you fkin blind- Obj would have lost against Buhari if he already wasnt president in 1999.

na_so:

Even GEJ supports zoning , but he will contest 2011 and most likely win tongue tongue tongue

Say Jonathan does well as president- which he probably will. He goes to contest in 2015 will you vote for him again, even though 2015 is supposed to go to the SE?
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Onlytruth(m): 5:21pm On Aug 26, 2010
So, as the NEC of PDP said, zoning is in place, but Jonathan can contest.  In a free and fair elections, if he wins, fine. My message to my Igbo people is that we should not renege on any agreements. IT IS BAD.

Let those who would, do their thing. This is not about winning or losing. Again this is NOT about south east/ south south. You have to have a solid ground to plan your life. If the ground keep shifting, how can we ever plan?
Remember that a huge chunk of our lives is built on agreements; example, learning a trade. You pick a boy, he stays with you for an "agreed" number of years, after which you "settle" him by giving him money to start a business. That has always been the Igbo way.

Since the cultures in Nigeria are fluid and mixing, we should not allow this culture of reneging on agreements to permeate ours and destroy our ability to be cohesive, progressive, peaceful and disciplined as we've always been.
The ramifications are huge!

We've only just recently started to find our peace when we voted PDP out of Anambra elections. In a free and fair elections, they will lose again in the south east. So, let's not worry about winning or losing.

Let's not go back on agreements! Period. cool
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by naso2(m): 5:29pm On Aug 26, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All this your story is for the presidency to come to SE by 2015. Zoning or not, 2015 is very very unlikely for the SE.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by houvest: 5:37pm On Aug 26, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

Thank you Akanbi. In a Nation with so many ethnic groups that are mutually suspicious, I think power rotation among the Zones ( not necessarily bw North and South) is the best thing that can happen. We do not have to pretend as if we are so politically mature not to help ourselves survive as a Nation. My problem however is that it has to be enshrined in the constitution to make all groups and political parties mutually compliant because tomorrow another section that has benefitted from it can also renege or use another party to sabotage the sections that have not thus introducing more mistrust and tension in the polity. So Constitution review needs to capture it for it to have authority. We do not have to also pretend that we are so politically mature to toe the line of other democracies as per their Constitution. What we should evovle for ourselves is what is best for our survival as a Nation, constitutionally speaking. See my post on this issue 2 months ago:
  Forums / Politics / Re: Presidency: Northern Leaders Want Zoning Till 2047  on: June 19, 2010, 12:14 PM  
My feelings are that most folks started pushing for a Jonathan candidacy for 2011 and the abandoning or altering of the PDP zoning formula for 2011 because of all the noise IBB started making about his plans to run . These sentiments for Jonathan i think are mainly because of IBB's giant shadow and the need for an incumbent to use state machinery to crush it and overrun him in the elections. Methinks that most folks that want Jonathan to run are IBB opponents. If for instance IBB drops out of the race and the North brings out more credible, acceptable and younger candidates like El Ruffai, Umar, Ribadu,etc. wont it be more prudent to sit back and analyse the virtues of the PDP zoning formula for at least another 36 years ie till each of the 6 geo -political zones had ruled for 8 years. I think it is not the best democratic arrangement but the best option so far for a Nation as diverse and mutually suspicious as Nigeria. If this is written into the constitution to ensure mutual compliance by all parties and zones it will not be a bad idea but will go a long way to welding the entity called Nigeria more strongly together and avoid a future apocalypse, bloodbath and eventual failure as predicted by US intelligence. The time is for now the elders of the Nation to sit down and talk reach such a consensus and encourage Jonathan and the National Assembly in a constitution amendment exercise that will engender mutual trust, love and make everybody have a sense of belonging, have a future and hope in Nigeria and go a long way in conquering separatist sentiments and agenda.
With Such a Constitutional arrangement made that is subject to amendment by May 29 2047, we would have taken our destiny in our hands, dealt with mistrust and thwarted the prediction of Nigeria failing by year 2015. We could now go into the full democratic mode or continue for another 48 or 24 years till we have matured as a nation. The American experience in democracy is almost 250 years old and they have gone through developmental stages before this era that a black man can win the presidency without any Affirmative Action of any sort.
Now look at the upside of a non -Jonathan candidacy.
He will have his full attention on governance for one solid year without distractions or politicking, he. would tackle tough national questions like true federalism, electoral reforms, a people's Constitution, an acceptable census, uninterrupted power supply, capacity building and self sustenance in oil and gas, institutionalized infrastructural development and maintenance, sustainability in the corruption war, Independence of the judiciary and Legislative maturity, educational, health and housing ,etc reforms without fear or favour , things OBJ should have tackled in his second term. Above all he will conduct the 2011 elections transparently since like Mandela and perhaps Azikiwe nation-building would be his goal not kingship and by so doing he would have laid a solid foundation for a great and successful Nigeria, midwife-ing the Nigeria of our dreams in the process and so becomes the father of a modern Nigerian state. The time is short but he can set the ball rolling. Who knows whether that is why God brought him to lead Nigeria into her jubilee .

Methinks that 2011 is a ticking timebomb for Nigeria  or when Nigeria will make a giant stride to really becoming one Nation. Nuff Said.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by sbeezy8: 5:47pm On Aug 26, 2010
na_so:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All this your story is for the presidency to come to SE by 2015. Zoning or not, 2015 is very very unlikely for the SE.

ehn you say "very very" it should be "very very very bloody unlikely"

its nothing against igbo its just northerners will reorganize themselves and have a whole North ( NC,NW and NE) right now Jonathan has the NC's support.
I dont see PDP ticket going to any southerner except Jonathan the incumbent in 2015.

Northerners will not vote for Zoning by 6 Zones- I dont even know why people are using their imaginations and dreaming.

Who will believe 70+ million northerners will sit and wait - for 16 yrs till another northerner emerges? That doesnt even make sense.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Onlytruth(m): 7:44pm On Aug 26, 2010
na_so:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't know why you insist on making this a south east vs south south issue. IT IS NOT. undecided Having said that, do you think you can blackmail us into supporting a betrayal?
Think again dude. undecided
I don't know whether you've been following this thread carefully. The last thing the Igboman worries about in Nigeria is a fictitious enclave called "south south". When the time comes, we'll prove to you that it doesn't exist. For now, Ndigbo please don't support any betrayals. Let those whose stock in trade is betrayal continue in their trade.

Agbachaa oso aguo mile. cool
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by bkbabe97y(m): 8:37pm On Aug 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

And while at it, may a Brooklyn stray bullet pierce your right eye and emerge from your left ear!
slowpoke!

And I hope u survive the 18 wheeler, but, I hope it crushes ur whole stomach and half ur head and renders u paralyzed from the neck down!
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Onlytruth(m): 8:43pm On Aug 26, 2010
bk.babe97y:

And I hope u survive the 18 wheeler, but, I hope it crushes your whole stomach and half your head and renders u paralyzed from the neck down!

lol. Just watch your back in Brooklyn. My curse on you will work together with other countless curses from other nairalanders. If you are lucky, you'll only be paralyzed from neck down with the bullet lodged in an inoperable corner of your brain. Shit and pee in your pants till you reach 80 years. Abandoned to die a long lonely death.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by excanny: 9:57pm On Aug 26, 2010
Lanrefemi:

@Sbeezy8, You can be abusive as you like,

The issue i have with the zoning arrangement is that it's a PDP thing and it doesn't apply to other parties. for the sake of argument what will happen if labour candidate from southwest or south east wins the presidential election? will the northerners  still say its their turn? or are we saying indirectly that the president can never come from another party except the PDP? it's really scary.

You quite a sincere Yoruba man. I commend you for that. At least something different from OBJ, sjeezy8 and company.

Like i said it yesterday, the zoning principle is as old as Nigeria, and existed before PDP, and will outlive it.

I dont know if i need a stick to beat it into some people's ear that without zoning a group of people are going to hold all of us to ransom, hold our children and our children's children.

It seems this same set of people have no clue on the geographical imbalance in the country. 12 core north states, 4 non-core north states. You only need to capture this 16 states, and you have the country in your kitty.

This undue advantage might be taken over and abused and abused. I'm sure you dont want that for your kids.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by dayokanu(m): 11:55pm On Aug 26, 2010
But without zoning MKO Abiola defeated a Hausaman from kano in an election
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Onlytruth(m): 12:34am On Aug 27, 2010
dayokanu:

But without zoning MKO Abiola defeated a Hausaman from kano in an election

Yes, but never lived to tell the story. undecided That is the reason behind zoning.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by dayokanu(m): 3:10am On Aug 27, 2010
So a Yoruba guy has proven that he can win an election without zoning
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by bkbabe97y(m): 5:47am On Aug 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

lol. Just watch your back in Brooklyn. My curse on you will work together with other countless curses from other nairalanders. If you are lucky, you'll only be paralyzed from neck down with the bullet lodged in an inoperable corner of your brain. poo and pee in your pants till you reach 80 years. Abandoned to die a long lonely death.

Ok, make up your mind, cus now ure sounding like Ojukwu; talking outta both sides of your mouth! One minute u want your father and children to die, the next u want them to to survive! Next You want the bullet to lodge in your Mother's brain, next you want it to exit your sister's eye . . . which is it!!?!  Anyhoo, I've said my piece: 18 wheeler and paralyzed from the neck down! Oh, and hopefully they'll discover a drug that makes u live till your 600 yrs old, and they'll feed and inject u it! grin
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by supereagle(m): 5:53am On Aug 27, 2010
Yoruba are known in Nigeria for mass voting. In 99 they voted massively for Falae, In 2003, they voted massively for OBJ ,but he turned and back stab them, now it is total support for GEJ.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by excanny: 6:11am On Aug 27, 2010
dayokanu:

So a Yoruba guy has proven that he can win an election without zoning

And also proven that the way to do that was by votes for bribes and public money sharing.

If that's what you call winning. That's a shame!
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by excanny: 6:14am On Aug 27, 2010
With zoning, the desperation is less, and no candidate will resort to such malpractices. That's what we're saying.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by kettykings: 7:20am On Aug 27, 2010
If igbos will not be supported by 2015 , 2019,2023 by the same SW, and SS who in 1966 also joined their enemies to fight them in a civil war,then igbos should support the north for 2011 and let them have a VP which they can manage till 2015.

Alternatively they can back Jonathan to handover to them in 2015.

The problem igbos have is the south and not the north.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by Gbawe: 10:35am On Aug 27, 2010
Those fans of Jonathan who think "the Yorubas back Uncle Joe" are only allowing themselves , like Jonathan, to be carried away by desperation that is clouding their Logic. The Yorubas have not endorsed Jonathan . As I said on Page 1;

All these stories of the "backing" Jonathan enjoys are based on the supports of State Governors . With 4 PDP Governors in the SW , all controlled more or less by OBJ , it would seem as if "Yorubas back Uncle Joe" but we will see what will happen when the candidates declare and start campaigning

,  and as supported by the article below , it is the PDP  Governors in the SW region who , naturally and expectedly , will back Jonathan.

Since most Yoruba folks want to see the back of their respective PDP Governors , due to gross corruption and misrule, I would think that the PDP Governors may actually be a liability to Jonathan when the real action begins. It will not be difficult to show most Yoruba folks that if Jonathan wins the dreaded PDP Governors remain since Uncle Joe's machination has ensured that the Presidential election will precede the Guber election . Sensible folks will forget any illusion that Jonathan has the SW behind him. Those working for him in the region (OBJ and the PDP Governers) are highly despised. Jonathan will suffer from the infamy of those folks. As we saw in Ekiti, a recourse to shameless rigging will then be the only option for the PDP.The SW PDP Governors , as highly despised leaders, only possess rigging , via the power of incumbency , as their trump card. I believe rigging will be resisted more fiercely this time around . Ekiti was a hint of what will be amplified in 2011. The SW region will shock Jonathan and the PDP the most IMO.

http://www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14927:south-west-pdp-govs-set-to-endorse-jonathan&catid=51:cover-stories&Itemid=101

South West PDP Govs Set To Endorse Jonathan Friday,
27 August 2010 03:34 Kazeem Akintunde   

All is now set for the endorsement of President Goodluck Jonathan for the 2011 presidential election by governors of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the south west zone of the country.

Sources told LEADERSHIP  last night that the South-west zonal leaders' meeting taking place in Ibadan, Oyo State tomorrow would be used by the zone to declare support for President Jonathan's ambition.

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, who is also the chairman of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of the party, had been in the forefront of those campaigning for Jonathan to continue in office beyond 2011. He met recently with the four state governors from the party in Abeokuta, Ogun State recently, where he canvassed support for Jonathan. He also spoke of the need for the zone to speak with one voice in picking its presidential candidate.

Though it was gathered that two of the PDP governors, Olagunsoye Oyinlola of Osun State and Adebayo Alao-Akala of Oyo State were in a dilemma as to who to support between Jonathan and the former military President, Ibrahim Babangida, pressures have been mounted on them to support President Jonathan's ambition.

Oyinlola's predicament, LEADERSHIP gathered, was due to his relationship with Babangida while they were in the military. Alao-Akala, a retired police officer also enjoys chummy relationship with Babangida.

Already, the governor of the old Oyo State, Dr. Omololu Olunloyo, and Afenifere leader, Chief Reuben Fasoranti, have endorsed the president's ambition.

Olunloyo said that the best way to compensate the minority people of Niger Delta was to allow Jonathan to contest as well as win the 2011 election.

He said it would be quite unfair to deny Jonathan, who is the representative of his people from the South-South, the opportunity to rule this country in 2011 after ruining their land with exploration of oil.

Chief Fasoranti also said that nobody should prevent President Jonathan from contesting in the election as it was his right to complete the tenure of the late President Umar Yar'Adua.

"President Jonathan is entitled to contest. I  do  not  believe in this zoning arrangement; it would not produce the best for the country. President Jonathan is entitled to his ambition, he is a citizen of this  country and nobody should deprive him of his right to contest," he said.

As a leader of a socio-political group, he was asked if his group had the same opinion with him. Chief Fasoranti said he was speaking for himself,  though the opinion of the group was not different from his.

Tomorrow's meeting will be a medium of taking a final decision on who the zone should back for the 2011 general
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by beneli(m): 11:21am On Aug 27, 2010
houvest:

Thank you Akanbi. In a Nation with so many ethnic groups that are mutually suspicious, I think power rotation among the Zones ( not necessarily bw North and South) is the best thing that can happen. We do not have to pretend as if we are so politically mature not to help ourselves survive as a Nation. My problem however is that it has to be enshrined in the constitution to make all groups and political parties mutually compliant because tomorrow another section that has benefitted from it can also renege or use another party to sabotage the sections that have not thus introducing more mistrust and tension in the polity. So Constitution review needs to capture it for it to have authority. We do not have to also pretend that we are so politically mature to toe the line of other democracies as per their Constitution. What we should evovle for ourselves is what is best for our survival as a Nation, constitutionally speaking. See my post on this issue 2 months ago:

Forums / Politics / Re: Presidency: Northern Leaders Want Zoning Till 2047  on: June 19, 2010, 12:14 PM 
My feelings are that most folks started pushing for a Jonathan candidacy for 2011 and the abandoning or altering of the PDP zoning formula for 2011 because of all the noise IBB started making about his plans to run . These sentiments for Jonathan i think are mainly because of IBB's giant shadow and the need for an incumbent to use state machinery to crush it and overrun him in the elections. Methinks that most folks that want Jonathan to run are IBB opponents. If for instance IBB drops out of the race and the North brings out more credible, acceptable and younger candidates like El Ruffai, Umar, Ribadu,etc. wont it be more prudent to sit back and analyse the virtues of the PDP zoning formula for at least another 36 years ie till each of the 6 geo -political zones had ruled for 8 years. I think it is not the best democratic arrangement but the best option so far for a Nation as diverse and mutually suspicious as Nigeria. If this is written into the constitution to ensure mutual compliance by all parties and zones it will not be a bad idea but will go a long way to welding the entity called Nigeria more strongly together and avoid a future apocalypse, bloodbath and eventual failure as predicted by US intelligence. The time is for now the elders of the Nation to sit down and talk reach such a consensus and encourage Jonathan and the National Assembly in a constitution amendment exercise that will engender mutual trust, love and make everybody have a sense of belonging, have a future and hope in Nigeria and go a long way in conquering separatist sentiments and agenda.

With Such a Constitutional arrangement made that is subject to amendment by May 29 2047, we would have taken our destiny in our hands, dealt with mistrust and thwarted the prediction of Nigeria failing by year 2015. We could now go into the full democratic mode or continue for another 48 or 24 years till we have matured as a nation. The American experience in democracy is almost 250 years old and they have gone through developmental stages before this era that a black man can win the presidency without any Affirmative Action of any sort.

Now look at the upside of a non -Jonathan candidacy.He will have his full attention on governance for one solid year without distractions or politicking, he. would tackle tough national questions like true federalism, electoral reforms, a people's Constitution, an acceptable census, uninterrupted power supply, capacity building and self sustenance in oil and gas, institutionalized infrastructural development and maintenance, sustainability in the corruption war, Independence of the judiciary and Legislative maturity, educational, health and housing ,etc reforms without fear or favour , things OBJ should have tackled in his second term. Above all he will conduct the 2011 elections transparently since like Mandela and perhaps Azikiwe nation-building would be his goal not kingship and by so doing he would have laid a solid foundation for a great and successful Nigeria, midwife-ing the Nigeria of our dreams in the process and so becomes the father of a modern Nigerian state. The time is short but he can set the ball rolling. Who knows whether that is why God brought him to lead Nigeria into her jubilee .

Methinks that 2011 is a ticking timebomb for Nigeria  or when Nigeria will make a giant stride to really becoming one Nation. Nuff Said.

Makes a lot of sense to me.
Re: Yorubas Back Uncle Joe by supereagle(m): 1:14pm On Aug 27, 2010
The common men in the SE want GEJ to continue. Go to the News stand and hear what they want.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Official Website Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria / EFCC Withdraws Fraud Charge Against Abiola’s Son / History Of Cultism In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.