Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria (30344 Views)

Need Advice On Starting A Transportation Business / Meet G.U Okeke: GUO Transportation Business CEO & His Civil War Story / Btw A Restaurant Biz And A Transportation Biz Wch Is More Profitable. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by SEGLIZ: 2:20pm On Feb 18, 2019
Effiongdbest:
Nigerians have looked back this past 4 years and what we have seen is only total darkness and misery. Life has been so miserable within just 4 years of only one man Buhari, is it the herdsmen killings, bokoharam killings, disunity, nepotism, python dance on armless protesters, Shitte Muslims killings, Poverty capital of the world, what have we not seen within just 4 years of this man Buhari, what??.

Anyone thinking of voting Buhari again may all these calamity listed above follow your immediate family from generation to generation, non shall escape it till eternity. Amen

you are a mad man. what is your business with people's choice?
so you've reaped from your own words of investment, this thread is meant for those that are willing to make a way where there seems to be none.
pdp gave the option of Buhari with their years of atrocity, now you want us to give them Nigeria so they can take backward again to then land in the hands of a worse government than this?
for me it is forward ever backward never.
don't return here to curse people, your one vote goes a long way in helping your choice not by displaying your stupidity and frustration.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by SEGLIZ: 2:28pm On Feb 18, 2019
XaviDayo:
God bless you for this topic.

I will be starting my own transportation business come March and the plan is to buy two Golf 3 cars that will run imside the city I live. From experience, I know the divrs deliver 2 to 2500 daily and the car gets parked at your place as from 8pm.

I look forward to reading great insight from people who are already into the biz

make sure you have a standby auto-technician on ground that will handle all mechanical issues. one way drivers run owners down is everyday mechanical complain that don't exist.
you need a concrete arrangement and agreement with your to be drivers to check their excesses.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by driversng: 2:37pm On Feb 18, 2019
Drivers Nigeria Riders Recruitment.

Department: Motocycle Riders Recruitment
Job type: Permanent

The Company
Drivers Nigeria is an online technology platform that provides drivers, Mobility Solutions, On-Demand & In Realtime for Everyone. Drivers Nigeria ensures your mobility is personalized, secured, convenient and enjoyable.

Benefits
Earn an average of N150,000/month
● Riding jacket and 2 helmet
● Health Insurance & other benefits
● Get a smartphone
● Opportunity to win cash prizes every Month
● Plus they own the motorcycle in a year

Requirements
* Have previous riding experience
* SSCE/Hnd/Ond minimum qualification.
* Reside in Lagos
* Young and Upwardly Mobile, unemployed people in Lagos within the age range of 22 - 30 years old who can drive a motorcycle.
* Must Posses a rider license.

Apply at http://driversnigeria.com/riders-recruitment/
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by kimoyo: 2:37pm On Feb 18, 2019
basicallyme:
good article. thinking of starting a transportation business. motorcycle to be precise, anyone with a good idea on how it runs pls
. can someone please shed more light on this? Location is Lagos
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by SEGLIZ: 2:53pm On Feb 18, 2019
Alexious:
Good piece, though am aware of some of the points stated, the challenge sometimes is access to funds to startup. Am setting up a transport business in Abuja by the way.

right on point!!!
funding is the real thing. Nigeria is so bad no one is willing to part ways with their cash, many are rather willing to give to the commercial banks that ends up duping them.
I also have the idea of a taxi company in Abeokuta but funding just it.
even on occasions I met with one or two government agencies meant for things like this but was highly disappointed. on one occasion I was at the tech-incubation centre in Abeokuta with my idea and finished product of cosmetics and pharmaceutical produce, the first question I was ask was 'if I have my machinery in place' within I felt like 'if I have all those things in place I wouldn't be here in the first instance' I produce manually so I need your platform to grow big but you me to get up there myself before you can identify with me. it so bad the policy makers are really killing the country. you don't expect civil servants to make policies to develop the country it will only fail woefully.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Alexious(m): 2:55pm On Feb 18, 2019
SEGLIZ:

right on point!!!
funding is the real thing. Nigeria is so bad no one is willing to part ways with their cash, many are rather willing to give to the commercial banks that ends up duping them.
I also have the idea of a taxi company in Abeokuta but funding just it.
even on occasions I met with one or two government agencies meant for things like this but was highly disappointed. on one occasion I was at the tech-incubation centre in Abeokuta with my idea and finished product of cosmetics and pharmaceutical produce, the first question I was ask was 'if I have my machinery in place' within I felt like 'if I have all those things in place I wouldn't be here in the first instance' I produce manually so I need your platform to grow big but you me to get up there myself before you can identify with me. it so bad the policy makers are really killing the country. you don't expect civil servants to make policies to develop the country it will only fail woefully.

Really disappointing, however am trying my best to get funds as i have approached a bank though. Am waiting to see the terms and conditions.
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by SEGLIZ: 2:58pm On Feb 18, 2019
Alexious:

Really disappointing, however am trying my best to get funds as i have approached a bank though. Am waiting to see the terms and conditions.

I pray the good Lord will see you through.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Alexious(m): 2:59pm On Feb 18, 2019
SEGLIZ:

I pray the good Lord will see you through.
Amen
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by pomide(m): 3:08pm On Feb 18, 2019
driversng:
How to start a Transportation Business in Nigeria

Insure a vehicle

I'm happy you emphasized The need to have comprehensive insurance coverage.

Xavidayo, I hope you factor having insurance for your vehicles against loss or damage. Your premiums may be on the high end because you use it for transportation business, buts it's worth it.
I'd like to be the first to make a bid on your vehicle insurance when you eventually do get them. God bless you cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by CurrentSamuel(m): 3:25pm On Feb 18, 2019
Who can tell me about hire purchase. I want to buy Motor cycle to give to somebody. what is needed here and how do one go about it .thanks
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by CurrentSamuel(m): 3:27pm On Feb 18, 2019
driversng:

Who can sell a service? The answer is simple anyone. At this present age of entrepreneurship, everybody wants to be self-employ. Anybody with a need and desire to have an extra source of income, work from home, or start and operate a full-time business can sell a service, regardless of age, business experience, education or current financial resources. Let discuss how you will start a transportation system and be successful.

Transportation business is one of the growing business ideas in Nigeria today because everyone needs service in Nigeria. It is growing big with the increase in population which is estimated at about 180,000 million as of 2018. Try to imagine the number of people using road transport each day in order to commute between their home and their place of work while some transport to move their goods from one place to another spend a lot of time on the road. When you look at all these, you understand why this business is a hotcake.

The four different and common methods of running a transport business in Nigeria are vehicle hiring services, hire purchase, personal driving services and owning a transport line. Nevertheless, there are other unexploited transport business opportunities in Nigeria that are highly profitable.

Know that before you become successful in this business you must be ready to give your time, money. You must be on ground 24/7 to supervise your business, why? Since you will most likely hire the services of a professional driver and you need to be well informed about the daily cost of running a transport business so that you won’t run at a loss.

Here are the types of transport services you can offer. It is either you go into human transport or transportation of goods. Human transport includes the following:

Intercity transport service (car, buses or luxury buses)
Commercial intra-city transport (buses or taxis)
Commercial motorcycle
Commercial tricycles
How to start a transportation business in Nigeria?

Prepare a business plan

The first thing you do is to prepare a good business plan. A good plan can be well prepared when you conducted market research to understand the following

* What type of transport service you want to offer.
* What is the size of the market in need of the service?
* You need to study your environment including transportation in and out of your region.
* How much profit you expect to make per week.
* What you will need to provide the services to people and how you can do it in a better way.
* How many vehicles to start with.
A business plan tells your investors and prospective funders whether or not they can trust you with their money and weighed your options

When you have been able to figure all these things out then you are ready to start your business. Remember, the hard work you put into planning will determine your success in this business. If you rush into it without proper planning, you will have a high risk of failing or running at a loss from the start.

Level of capital

The best way to start any good business start small, not starting big. Most transport businesses have the potential to be multi-million or billion-dollar businesses but not all transport business start out with large capital funding.

You can start with one or two vehicles. Don’t try to start with many vehicles at a time. If you don’t have the money to buy a brand new vehicle, go for a second-hand vehicle. Note that the initial scale of business depends on the finances you are able to gather and the experience you have, let this be in your mind it will help you to minimize your risk. When you start with small, you gain experience quickly and become smart in the business. So, remember this, do not be eager to make a big start so that you might not lose a lot of money, just start small, and work towards something bigger so you can build a big business in a short period of time. Don’t get discouraged in case anything happens; know that a Rome was not built a day.

Commercial bank loans, investors, and partnerships are options to consider while sourcing for capital.

Register your business

After getting your vehicle, pick out a unique business name and make sure you get all the necessary documents and license you to need from the Corporate Affairs Commission for transportation ready for you to register your transport business.

Join a Union

It’s mandatory for you to register your business with appropriate bodies to avoid problems to and become a member of a transport union in Nigeria ¬(the National Union of Road Transport Workers if you are into commercial transport), like most other businesses. And you must always pay your dues or levies.

Employ qualified personnel

After getting a vehicle and registering it, you should engage professional drivers from reliable driver management like driversng. Drivers and workers you employ as the business expands should be skilled, level-headed and they must have experience and good knowledge of vehicles. This will save you a lot of running cost in the long run. Many transport companies have failed because their employees lack such qualities. Ensure the drivers you are hiring are well informed about the goal and vision of your business to avoid any miss management of the vehicle. Remember to be nice and fair with your drivers too. Respect is a very important aspect of any business.

In transporting people or goods, safety is paramount. When a transport business hires reckless drivers and has a poor customer relation service, progress is hindered.

Insure a vehicle

Make sure you insure your transport business and vehicle before you put it on the road. Go to the best insurance company to obtain your vehicle so that your vehicle can be cover with comprehensive motor insurance and 3 party motor insurance. Ensuring your transport business against possible risks is a significant step towards the prosperous outcome of your efforts. Visit us to obtain comprehensive insurance for your vehicle

The right marketing strategy will expose your transport business and bring in more customers. So promote your growing business not only through word of mouth but by sponsoring and advertising on television, radio, and social media.

Provide excellent services, and customers will flock in, generating the capital needed to buy more vehicles, hiring skilled drivers, and branching out in many more locations.

Any business requires a lot of planning, patience, and hard work. Transport business is not an exception.

Note that nothing in this world is easy to handle, not even transportation business, especially when you want to be successful and expand quickly. Be prudent and careful: avoid the problems with the police by obtaining the right vehicle license, renew it together with the insurance certificate and other dues and levies when they are due.

please can you tell me about hire purchase. I want to buy Motor cycle to give to somebody. what is needed here and how do one go about it .thanks
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by CurrentSamuel(m): 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2019
driversng:

Who can sell a service? The answer is simple anyone. At this present age of entrepreneurship, everybody wants to be self-employ. Anybody with a need and desire to have an extra source of income, work from home, or start and operate a full-time business can sell a service, regardless of age, business experience, education or current financial resources. Let discuss how you will start a transportation system and be successful.

Transportation business is one of the growing business ideas in Nigeria today because everyone needs service in Nigeria. It is growing big with the increase in population which is estimated at about 180,000 million as of 2018. Try to imagine the number of people using road transport each day in order to commute between their home and their place of work while some transport to move their goods from one place to another spend a lot of time on the road. When you look at all these, you understand why this business is a hotcake.

The four different and common methods of running a transport business in Nigeria are vehicle hiring services, hire purchase, personal driving services and owning a transport line. Nevertheless, there are other unexploited transport business opportunities in Nigeria that are highly profitable.

Know that before you become successful in this business you must be ready to give your time, money. You must be on ground 24/7 to supervise your business, why? Since you will most likely hire the services of a professional driver and you need to be well informed about the daily cost of running a transport business so that you won’t run at a loss.

Here are the types of transport services you can offer. It is either you go into human transport or transportation of goods. Human transport includes the following:

Commercial motorcycle
Commercial tricycles

Prepare a business plan

The first thing you do is to prepare a good business plan. A good plan can be well prepared when you conducted market research to understand the following

* You need to study your environment including transportation in and out of your region.
* What you will need to provide the services to people and how you can do it in a better way.
A business plan tells your investors and prospective funders whether or not they can trust you with their money and weighed your options

When you have been able to figure all these things out then you are ready to start your business. Remember, the hard work you put into planning will determine your success in this business. If you rush into it without proper planning, you will have a high risk of failing or running at a loss from the start.

Level of capital

The best way to start any good business start small, not starting big. Most transport businesses have the potential to be multi-million or billion-dollar businesses but not all transport business start out with large capital funding.

You can start with one or two vehicles. Don’t try to start with many vehicles at a time. If you don’t have the money to buy a brand new vehicle, go for a second-hand vehicle. Note that the initial scale of business depends on the finances you are able to gather and the experience you have, let this be in your mind it will help you to minimize your risk. When you start with small, you gain experience quickly and become smart in the business. So, remember this, do not be eager to make a big start so that you might not lose a lot of money, just start small, and work towards something bigger so you can build a big business in a short period of time. Don’t get discouraged in case anything happens; know that a Rome was not built a day.

Commercial bank loans, investors, and partnerships are options to consider while sourcing for capital.

Register your business

After getting your vehicle, pick out a unique business name and make sure you get all the necessary documents and license you to need from the Corporate Affairs Commission for transportation ready for you to register your transport business.

Join a Union

It’s mandatory for you to register your business with appropriate bodies to avoid problems to and become a member of a transport union in Nigeria ¬(the National Union of Road Transport Workers if you are into commercial transport), like most other businesses. And you must always pay your dues or levies.

After getting a vehicle and registering it, you should engage professional drivers from reliable driver management like driversng. Drivers and workers you employ as the business expands should be skilled, level-headed and they must have experience and good knowledge of vehicles. This will save you a lot of running cost in the long run. Many transport companies have failed because their employees lack such qualities. Ensure the drivers you are hiring are well informed about the goal and vision of your business to avoid any miss management of the vehicle. Remember to be nice and fair with your drivers too. Respect is a very important aspect of any business.

In transporting people or goods, safety is paramount. When a transport business hires reckless drivers and has a poor customer relation service, progress is hindered.

Insure a vehicle

Make sure you insure your transport business and vehicle before you put it on the road. Go to the best insurance company to obtain your vehicle so that your vehicle can be cover with comprehensive motor insurance and 3 party motor insurance. Ensuring your transport business against possible risks is a significant step towards the prosperous outcome of your efforts. Visit us to obtain comprehensive insurance for your vehicle

The right marketing strategy will expose your transport business and bring in more customers. So promote your growing business not only through word of mouth but by sponsoring and advertising on television, radio, and social media.

Provide excellent services, and customers will flock in, generating the capital needed to buy more vehicles, hiring skilled drivers, and branching out in many more locations.

Any business requires a lot of planning, patience, and hard work. Transport business is not an exception.

Note that nothing in this world is easy to handle, not even transportation business, especially when you want to be successful and expand quickly. Be prudent and careful: avoid the problems with the police by obtaining the right vehicle license, renew it together with the insurance certificate and other dues and levies when they are due.

please can you tell me about hire purchase. I want to buy Motor cycle to give to somebody. what is needed here and how do one go about it .thanks
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by mattyboy007(m): 3:40pm On Feb 18, 2019
Just in time.. D kind of place I like to be.. Really want to learn cos am saving to buy motorcycle and gv sumone as hire purchase.. Hopefully by April
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by koyeni(m): 3:41pm On Feb 18, 2019
Good info
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Balenciagabrain: 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2019
Please I need to know how much brand new marcopolo luxury bus goes for? Please a sincere answer. Please.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by maasoap(m): 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2019
XaviDayo:

Yes I do...24k times 4 will translate to over a 100k.
I intend to spend a minimum of 20k monthly doing some maintenance work in the cars.

Your calculation is wrong. 2500*30=75,000
My mini buses give 2k a day, each. Maximum of 60k a month whick might not be possible. It is not profitable enough but it will hold until I'm ready for intercity venture

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by maasoap(m): 4:02pm On Feb 18, 2019
mattyboy007:
Just in time.. D kind of place I like to be.. Really want to learn cos am saving to buy motorcycle and gv sumone as hire purchase.. Hopefully by April
CurrentSamuel:

Instalments! Those riders can frustrate one's life, ehn! I was into it before. It would get to a stage where they wouldn't pay their weekly agreement, you'll be tracking them up and down early and late hours. They would simply forget that you're empowering them. The last bike I bought was sold off by the rider. Lol

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Thunday1005(m): 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2019
Planning to start a transportation biz, but it will be based on campus shuttle.
Any piece of advice is really helpful

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by aariwa(m): 4:41pm On Feb 18, 2019
driversng:

Commercial motorcycle
Commercial tricycles

Prepare a business plan

Level of capital

Register your business

Join a Union

Insure a vehicle

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by mattyboy007(m): 4:51pm On Feb 18, 2019
maasoap:

Instalments! Those riders can frustrate one's life, ehn! I was into it before. It would get to a stage where they wouldn't pay their weekly agreement, you'll be tracking them up and down early and late hours. They would simply forget that you're empowering them. The last bike I bought was sold off by the rider.ol

Dats serious.. U got a really bad experience bro.. Wat will u advice we do den frm ur experience
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by dinomcjohn: 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2019
Nice one@Driversng. Wonderful write up. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Bakrabas: 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2019
mattyboy007:

Dats serious.. U got a really bad experience bro.. Wat will u advice we do den frm ur experience

No business without its pros and cons, the strict policy you gives to hirer will determine his behavior.

In my area if you miss a day without bringing money you will be denounced the ownership of the vehicle even if you have paid 99%.

So my bro, don't take it funny with the hirer, even if he is not going to work tell him to bring the bike so that you will be seeing it.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by shigoslim(m): 5:59pm On Feb 18, 2019
This is my exact thought as at today . I'm already planning to buy TWO DANFO for transport system in lagos and TWO MIKRA in Ibadan .
I just need a trusted driver, i heard that for DANFO in lagos oe can earn 10-15k daily which is not bad.
Thanks Oop for this information

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by SpencerM(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2019
basicallyme:
lagos
Am in Lagos Mysef and My Pal is going into this too, hit me up lets rub minds 07063742909
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by NEIGHBOUR(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2019
Effiongdbest:
Nigerians have looked back this past 4 years and what we have seen is only total darkness and misery. Life has been so miserable within just 4 years of only one man Buhari, is it the herdsmen killings, bokoharam killings, disunity, nepotism, python dance on armless protesters, Shitte Muslims killings, Poverty capital of the world, what have we not seen within just 4 years of this man Buhari, what??.

Anyone thinking of voting Buhari again may all these calamity listed above follow your immediate family from generation to generation, non shall escape it till eternity. Amen

And anybody including you planning to vote for a confirmed thief/ looter continue to lose their investment and belongings to thieves and their generations.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Unibenfucker(m): 6:46pm On Feb 18, 2019
ladyF:
grin
Where have you been ? It's quite a while
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Teeklef(m): 7:10pm On Feb 18, 2019
Am sorry for derailing. Pls who knows about gas cooker filling business? I want to know about the cost of setting it up and some other things... Plssssss
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 18, 2019
OP wedon. Where awan get start up now?
Re: How To Start A Transportation Business In Nigeria by Halo22: 7:37pm On Feb 18, 2019
I so much appreciate this very write-up, for I have gotten the necessary points I need to go into this establishment of my choice. I have been making enquiries on how to start up, but people keep discouraging me considering the bad lifestyle of some drivers. I think with this article, am good to go. L300 bus loading very soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If You're Owing A Loan App... What To Do. / Dangote Cement Plant Launched In Addis Ababa (photos) / Beware Of This Message Being Circulated By BVN Fraudsters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.