Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,619 members, 7,820,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike (7625 Views)

NLC To Declare Nationwide Strike Against Electricity Tariff Hike, Fuel Scarcity / Ogun Workers Commence Three-day Strike / FG Orders Sack Of 20,000 PHCN Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by fasttrack(m): 3:31pm On Aug 25, 2010
PHCN Workers Commence Nationwide Strike

August 25, 2010 0:00 am

Staff of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) has commenced a nationwide strike.

In a statement released by the National Union of Electricity Employees [NUEE], the body said that despite agreement reached at the end of the meeting between the minister of state for power, PHCN management and the electricity sector labour unions on July 25th 2010, government and PHCN have not responded to the agreement that states "payment of monetization arrears would commence Monday 26th July and would continue nonstop till completion within 30 days".

The circular sent to all members of staff and signed by the union�s General Secretary, Mr. Joe Ajaero, read: "Despite agreement reached at the end of the meeting between the Minister of State for Power, PHCN Management and the Electricity Sector Labour Unions on 25th July, 2010, we regret to inform you that the Government and PHCN have refused to respect the pact that states; that payment of the monetization arrears would commence on Monday, 26th July, 2010 and would continue non-stop until completion within 30 days."

"You will recall that based on the agreement, we shelved the indefinite industrial action that would have commenced on Monday, 26th July, 2010. Because of their insensitivity in resolving this all important issues it has become imperative, therefore to react accordingly.

"Consequently, all members of staff and the Unions are hereby directed not to report for duty as from Wednesday, 25th August, 2010 except payments are made to all eligible members of staff. It should further be noted that all gates to PHCN installations must remain locked and every observed saboteur should be adequately sanctioned.This is for strict compliance, please."

The zonal organising secretary of the union has confirmed that all power stations nationwide have been shut down and no services will be rendered until their monetization demands are met. �

http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=21966&cat=Local
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by fasttrack(m): 3:35pm On Aug 25, 2010
Strike or no strike, Whats the difference?

Though power supply has been a little constant.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by thweraja10: 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2010
Wow, at least we wont have hope that they will bring the light, what difference does it make anyway. Make they go on strike jare
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by r231(m): 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2010
like it makes any diff when they are not on strike
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by fasttrack(m): 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2010
Now we'll see who'll loose, PHCN or the People, after all na generator we don dey use ever since. sebi month don almost end. SALARY
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by baslone: 5:27pm On Aug 25, 2010
I haven't had light since I woke up today!
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by konkolok: 5:30pm On Aug 25, 2010
Yeeee, that means we will now have light abi, cos while they are 'working' we don't get to see any.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by xtremeidea(m): 5:31pm On Aug 25, 2010
DOES THIS MEAN THERE WILL BE NOBODY AT THE STATION TO SWITCH OFF THE LIGHT ANYMORE? YIPEEEEEEE!!!!  grin grin grin grin

PLEASE IF THATZ D CASE, LET THE STRIKE CONTINUE TILL FOREVER!!!   grin grin grin grin

Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 25, 2010
What difference does it make when a lot of people depend on generator ?
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by bobokelly(m): 5:38pm On Aug 25, 2010
Una don better, PHNL, on strike, when you are not on strike, how many hour do we use light before, una dey crase for head , please, don call off your strike, who will loose?, i dont blame you people, it is the fault of government who refused to allowed the private sector , if govt., allowed the private sector, who will still recognised in nigeria, can any of these communications companies go on strike?, i dont  blame you people,after all these blackout , God punish you all .
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by Dotman01(m): 5:40pm On Aug 25, 2010
Dats gud. . . At least nobody will bring one s.tupid bill at the end of the month.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by tundejayz: 5:50pm On Aug 25, 2010
[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]NEPA NO KILL US OH, MY GEN DON SPOIL , [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by Pukkah: 5:54pm On Aug 25, 2010
The lopsided Federal structure is killing this country. This rusty and inefficient behemoth called PHCN should be sold off and states, as well as private investors, should be empowered and encouraged to generate, transmit and distribute power.

Why should a single association or workers' union hold the entire country to ransom?
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by diamond50: 5:55pm On Aug 25, 2010
Bleep PHCN, Bleep NATIONAL UNION OF ELECTRICITY, Bleep MINISTER OF STATE FOR POWER, FOR LABOUR UNION, Bleep THE GOVERNMENT , u all should come kiss mai black ass
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by agabaI23(m): 5:59pm On Aug 25, 2010
Let them not come back. Na only gra gra. All of them are corrupt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by TeskyMan(m): 6:09pm On Aug 25, 2010
E better ohhh!

Now i get hope say I no go pay this month PHCN Bill for the next 2months abiiiiiii. Make i pick phone call this guy, make e come service my gen set. At last, i go dey use my Gen every9t. The bill wey them bring 2 weeks ago, na times 2 of wetin i dey pay b4. Na with serious "epe" curse I take pay the bill. Since i don pay last week, i never get light till i leave house this morning. Thats about 13 days without electricity.

God punish them if them call the strike off, ohh I dey sorry say i dey curse them again. Who beg them make them call the strike off b4 sef. I laugh tire that day wey dem announce say them call off the strike, when then No strike we get light.!!!!, Like somebody said, na GRA GRA them dey do. Them dey find there way into reckoning.

Make the STRIKE no kukuma end sef, yeye people,
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by ajelerojnr: 6:41pm On Aug 25, 2010
Why the stick, now that we are seeing little difference in the supply.
Mr. President please set your machinery in motion to resolve this embarrassment.

Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by jamace(m): 6:42pm On Aug 25, 2010
Hmmnnn
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by shockreaction(m): 6:46pm On Aug 25, 2010
What a bunch of jokers.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by enomakos(m): 6:47pm On Aug 25, 2010
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by tunde121oke: 6:55pm On Aug 25, 2010
i love naija / nigerians
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by Pennywise(m): 7:13pm On Aug 25, 2010
PHCN workers appear to be damn serious abt this. Country going broke. Untouchable lawmakers have legislated our money into their pockets.

Jonathan will need some goodluck dealing with this one. He may wish to suspend presidential campaign for now.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by EmmaSun1(m): 7:22pm On Aug 25, 2010
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Govt. should do something about this na, haba!
at least dis time PHCN is trying by giving us constant light. we now save money instead of buying fuel every day.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by martharus: 7:30pm On Aug 25, 2010
hmmm, this country called naija, wonder shall never end IMAGINE PHCN striking, i tot they are essential services.

President Goodluck should attend to this ASAP
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by efepro(m): 7:37pm On Aug 25, 2010
U all r talking as if u don't benefit from d light at all.Light or no light,PHCN with it's monopolistic power wil continue to issue bills, i think they hav improved.b4 now,i use light atleast 12hrz daily.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by seanet02: 7:57pm On Aug 25, 2010
even when they did not strike what happened? 18 hours of total blackout
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by usbcable(m): 7:57pm On Aug 25, 2010
There is a difference between ''STAFF of PHCN'' and ''MANAGEMENT of PHCN''.
the staff suffer the brunt inefficiency of power supply just like any other regular citizen.
they are also entitled to some rights under labor law, and an agreement is an agreement and the F.G and MGT of PHCN should honour their side of it.
recently power(electricity) has improved in ketu,lagos. This, I would love to see continue. so hopefully the issues pending are resolved (with action too).
They are a union of employees just like any other union.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by batiatus(m): 8:00pm On Aug 25, 2010
w[b]e do not have power in our area since Friday, whats d diff if they go on strike, they are just corrupt, bringing u high bills, who know if they have an agreement with those generators importers to go on strike. TO HELL WITH U GUYS (PHCN)[/b]
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by harakiri(m): 8:01pm On Aug 25, 2010
Na for here dem mess themselves. Nigerians dont sympatize with them coz unlike teachers and doctors, who feels the impact of phcn? Nobody! Most of the time (if not all in some areas),people depend on power generators. . . So let them remain on strike for as long as they bear hunger and hardship and see if anybody cares. Even Jonathan Goodluck is tired of them. People wey take light when international match dey go on for stadium. Imagine the disgrace! To hell with them.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by harakiri(m): 8:13pm On Aug 25, 2010
One more thing. . . I believe they had planned to do this months ago and thats why they 'improved' their power supply. I don't know about other areas but where i reside, phcn has a well known modus operandi for beefing up power supply when the month is about ending so that people will 'include' them in expenses from salary/earnings. After the first week when most people have cleared their bill, its back to 20 minutes lite once every 3 days. Watch and see if their current power supply remains when the strike is over. You will remember that i said it.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by member479760: 8:26pm On Aug 25, 2010
Those workers are like lecturers who bear not, a responsibility for their bad products but still want more money and constantly treating us.

Very funny indeed, no electricity to sell but want to collect pay. from where? question to the professors of grammer.
Re: Phcn Workers Commence Nationwide Strike by Harzan(m): 8:28pm On Aug 25, 2010
s,tupid people wats dia work b4,,, they should strike and neva 2 return!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emeagwali Lied Again! / Aso Rock Earmarks N5billion To Furnish Mrs. Jonathan’s Ngo Hq : As She Sacks Go / U.S-Maryland, Opens Lagos Office For Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.