Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Emeagwali Lied Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emeagwali Lied Again! (7616 Views)

The Gang-up Against Emeagwali Is Ethnically Motivated / Government To Investigate Emeagwali / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emeagwali Lied Again! by bookface: 12:50am On Nov 22, 2010
In a bid to defend himself against allegations of fraudulent claims leveled against him by leading American scientists,American-based Nigerian scientist, Philip Emeagwali, has told a new set of lies, an investigation has shown.In an article he published on ‘nigeriavillagesquare.com’,a Nigerian Internet discussion forum, to deflect the damaging allegations against him, Mr. Emeagwali claimed he had a 17-year academic career in eight-degree programmes at five universities.

He added that he bagged “an equivalent of six degrees in mathematics and Engineering” from those universities.But NEXT checks at the universities Mr. Emeagwali usually claim to have attended indicate that he has just three academic degrees from three universities

The embattled scientist earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from the Oregon State University in 1977; a Masters in Mathematics from the University of Maryland in 1986; and another Masters in Ocean and Marine Engineering (not civil and marine engineering as he often claims) from George Washington University in 1986

Contrary to his claim that he earned a first degree from the University of London after self-study -as contained in a profile of himself he provided to the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,(IEEE), Lisa Pierre, the alumni relations’ manager of the university said there is no record to back such a claim.“I can’t find him in our database,” Ms Pierre said in response to the enquiry.

In the same IEEE profile, Mr. Emeagwali claimed he earned a doctorate in civil engineering (scientific computing) from the University of Michigan.But the spokesperson for the university,Deborah Greene, said although Mr. Emeagwali attended the university, he was not awarded a degree because he failed to complete the requirements for a Ph.D.

That was even after the university agreed to waive some of their requirements for candidacy.To buttress her points, Ms Greene referred NEXT to the judgment of a 1996 case Mr. Emeagwali instituted against her university claiming that the university discriminated against him because of his race.
But, in an unanimous judgment delivered in October 29, 1999, the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled against Mr. Emeagwali,saying he could not have been awarded a doctorate after he failed to pass his examination

“Plaintiff did not take his qualifying examination until May 1991. He failed this examination, was given an opportunity to retake the examination in July 1991,and failed this examination as well,” Judges P.J. Murphy, Holbrook, Jr. and J.J. Gage, ruled.

Mr. Emeagwali’s dissertation was also found to have fallen far short of the standard expected of a doctoral candidate.“Plaintiff submitted his dissertation on July 24, 1992. The university faculty members who ultimately reviewed the dissertation did not view it favorably,” the judgment said. “On June 17, 1993,Gulari (a professor in Mr. Emeagwali’s department) notified plaintiff that the engineering college faculty had concluded that his thesis was not worthy of a doctorate degree.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5644401-146/emeagwalis_insistence_on_degrees_muddles_defence.csp
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Abagworo(m): 1:18am On Nov 22, 2010
White men dealt with him and we Africans are rejoicing over that.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 1:20am On Nov 22, 2010
Seriously, this is getting outright ridiculous and disgusting. Find something better to do.

Success is not impossible, jeez!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by HighChief4(m): 1:40am On Nov 22, 2010
Abagworo:

Well said. They are all rejoicing.

Ileke-IdI:

Seriously, this is getting outright ridiculous and disgusting. Find something better to do.

Success is not impossible, jeez!

Ileke how are you 2day? Have you seen your childhood pics with friends on my profile. I was glad when i found it
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by bawomolo(m): 2:28am On Nov 22, 2010
Abagworo:

when all fails, claim racism
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 2:33am On Nov 22, 2010
bawomolo:

when all fails, claim racism

Black mentality. But that's neither here nor there.

What has the article now said that we haven't heard before? Let it go, jare.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by jason12345: 2:42am On Nov 22, 2010
they should leave the guy alone jor! angry

btw, why can't the guy come and bury all these rumours? undecided
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 2:44am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

When you're busy making money and the rumors dont affect you, some things seem less important.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by HighChief4(m): 2:47am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

Why should he come to refute those rumours, he knows what his critics want and he is not ready to offer them that.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by jason12345: 3:04am On Nov 22, 2010
High_Chief:

Why should he come to refute those rumours, he knows what his critics want and he is not ready to offer them that.

what do his critics want?? undecided

Ileke-IdI:

When you're busy making money and the rumors dont affect you, some things seem less important.
that is not a valid excuse. all it takes is one of his lawyers to give a statement publicly. undecided
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by HighChief4(m): 3:06am On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

what do his critics want?? undecided
that is not a valid excuse. all it takes is one of his lawyers to give a statement publicly. undecided

They want attention just like you are asking him to go and debunk the rumours.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by jason12345: 3:07am On Nov 22, 2010
High_Chief:

They want attention just like you are asking him to go back and debunk the rumours.

okay, cool!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by babapupa: 3:07am On Nov 22, 2010
It cuts both ways and it takes two to tango. They'll let it go the minute the bobo stop lying and fess up to the previous lies.
It's sickning reading all the nonsense about race and other crap, you people can not even demand or defend common truth and    
honesty.

Of what use is your existence and hope for your children if all your heroes and glory are tangled in lies, deception and  
obvious intellectual fraud?

Nigeria is a sad country full of fraudstars and vocal enabblers. We are not only used to lies, fraud and corruption, we use the same zeal and vigor to suppress and deny truth.

Shamefull people, shamefull country.

1 Like

Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by jason12345: 3:13am On Nov 22, 2010
babapupa:

It cuts both ways and it takes two to tango. They'll let it go the minute the bobo stop lying and fess up to the previous lies.
It's sickning reading all the nonsense about race and other crap, you people can not even demand or defend common truth and    
honesty.

Of what use is your existence and hope for your children if all your heroes and glory are tangled in lies, deception and  
obvious intellectual fraud?

Nigeria is a sad country full of fraudstars and vocal enabblers. We are not only used to lies, fraud and corruption, we use the same zeal and vigor to suppress and deny truth.

Shamefull people, shamefull country.

i respect your comment and i know where you are coming from. sadly, in nigeria, we look at everything ethnically. sad

but, why should we investigate him if the USA is not? his he an american citizen or nigerian? we have to promote our people instead of digging them out. although, i am still surprise that he has not provided evidence to prove them otherwise. undecided
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 3:16am On Nov 22, 2010
Ok, am really bored and tired of writing some 50 page paper. . . . make una start cursing each other so that I can get some entertainment.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Blazing99: 3:37am On Nov 22, 2010
A man lied that he is who he is not and was accepted
People came out with proofs that he lied and deceived millions of people.
He is still lying and his critics keep proving he is a scam
And shallow people are supporting him because he is one of theirs.
For goodness sake, do we really like being deceived in this country? And when the wave of truth comes why do we keep criticising those who bring it in the name of racism and tribalism?
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by AloyEmeka5: 3:43am On Nov 22, 2010
bookface:

In a bid to defend himself against allegations of fraudulent claims leveled against him by leading American scientists,American-based Nigerian scientist, Philip Emeagwali, has told a new set of lies, an investigation has shown.In an article he published on ‘nigeriavillagesquare.com’,a Nigerian Internet discussion forum, to deflect the damaging allegations against him, Mr. Emeagwali claimed he had a 17-year academic career in eight-degree programmes at five universities.

He added that he bagged “an equivalent of six degrees in mathematics and Engineering” from those universities.But NEXT checks at the universities Mr. Emeagwali usually claim to have attended indicate that he has just three academic degrees from three universities

The embattled scientist earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from the Oregon State University in 1977; a Masters in Mathematics from the University of Maryland in 1986; and another Masters in Ocean and Marine Engineering (not civil and marine engineering as he often claims) from George Washington University in 1986

Contrary to his claim that he earned a first degree from the University of London after self-study -as contained in a profile of himself he provided to the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineering,(IEEE), Lisa Pierre, the alumni relations’ manager of the university said there is no record to back such a claim.“I can’t find him in our database,” Ms Pierre said in response to the enquiry.

In the same IEEE profile, Mr. Emeagwali claimed he earned a doctorate in civil engineering (scientific computing) from the University of Michigan.But the spokesperson for the university,Deborah Greene, said although Mr. Emeagwali attended the university, he was not awarded a degree because he failed to complete the requirements for a Ph.D.

That was even after the university agreed to waive some of their requirements for candidacy.To buttress her points, Ms Greene referred NEXT to the judgment of a 1996 case Mr. Emeagwali instituted against her university claiming that the university discriminated against him because of his race.
But, in an unanimous judgment delivered in October 29, 1999, the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled against Mr. Emeagwali,saying he could not have been awarded a doctorate after he failed to pass his examination

“Plaintiff did not take his qualifying examination until May 1991. He failed this examination, was given an opportunity to retake the examination in July 1991,and failed this examination as well,” Judges P.J. Murphy, Holbrook, Jr. and J.J. Gage, ruled.

Mr. Emeagwali’s dissertation was also found to have fallen far short of the standard expected of a doctoral candidate.“Plaintiff submitted his dissertation on July 24, 1992. The university faculty members who ultimately reviewed the dissertation did not view it favorably,” the judgment said. “On June 17, 1993,Gulari (a professor in Mr. Emeagwali’s department) notified plaintiff that the engineering college faculty had concluded that his thesis was not worthy of a doctorate degree.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5644401-146/emeagwalis_insistence_on_degrees_muddles_defence.csp

Sometimes I wonder how Nigerian journalists especially Sahara Reporters come up with these lies. No American university will offer such information to a reporter unless Emengwali permits them to do so.  Common, many American universities do not agree to release or tell parents the results of their children unless they have a written consent, how much less an outsider.

How many of you here attended university in the US, please can you tell us your school's policy about sharing your private information with a third party?. Some things are not worth flogging because if the school actually did such, they will be exposing themselves to liability suits. If it is a criminal case, the investigators are usually required to obtain warrant from the local DA before the school will allow them access to his files. Of course, the tribal lions here are so obsessed with nailing Emengwali to the wall that they forgot about such rules in US universities.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by igbobuigbo: 3:50am On Nov 22, 2010
Are those not the lies he allegedly already told? Which is the new one here?
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by violent(m): 4:02am On Nov 22, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Sometimes I wonder how Nigerian journalists especially Sahara Reporters come up with these lies. No American university will offer such information to a reporter unless Emengwali permits them to do so.  Common, many American universities do not agree to release or tell parents the results of their children unless they have a written consent, how much less an outsider.

How many of you here attended university in the US, please can you tell us your school's policy about sharing your private information with a third party?. Some things are not worth flogging because if the school actually did such, they will be exposing themselves to liability suits. If it is a criminal case, the investigators are usually required to obtain warrant from the local DA before the school will allow them access to his files. Of course, the tribal lions here are so obsessed with nailing Emengwali to the wall that they forgot about such rules in US universities.

There are certain facts that does not necessarily fall under privacy rules, one of such facts will be double checking if a particular student had attended a particular university or if the student is merely falsifying and wrongfully parading himself has an alumni of such school, i doubt if any school would not oblige you such information.

For instance, I could send a letter to a school to find out if XYZ graduated from the school, I am most likely going to get an answer for that without obtaining warrants from the DA or permission from XYZ, however, if i request for further information such as XYZ's grades at school, then, I'd definitely need some sort of permission for that.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by reindeer: 4:11am On Nov 22, 2010
If indeed these are lies against him, they are serious enough to defame him and tarnish his image.
If really they were lies, he should sue and restrain anyone from peddling them, but my guess is:they are true.
That would explain his complicit capitulation.
I don't think we should play the race card,it is irresponsible to excuse misdemeanour just because we share the same skin colour.
we should demand the truth always.
No one has ever challenged Ezekwesili, Achebe, Soyinka and co simply because they will always stand up to scrutiny.
A liar should be called just that.Chikena!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by violent(m): 4:16am On Nov 22, 2010
Seun has got a crazy sense of humor believe me, it reads on the front page "Emeagwali lies again to prove he's not a liar" . . . .classic, that got me LMFAO
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by babapupa: 4:16am On Nov 22, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

How many of you here attended university in the US, please can you tell us your school's policy about sharing your private information with a third party?. Some things are not worth flogging because if the school actually did such, they will be exposing themselves to liability suits.  If it is a criminal case, the investigators are usually required to obtain warrant from the local DA before the school will allow them access to his files. Of course, the tribal lions here are so obsessed with nailing Emengwali to the wall that they forgot about such rules in US universities.

You no dry disappoint with your ignorance at all. Try shut up and quit talking rubbish sometimes.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 4:18am On Nov 22, 2010
violent:

Seun has got a crazy sense of humor believe me, it reads on the front page "Emeagwali lies again to prove he's not a liar" . . . .classic, that got me LMFAO

Me sef see am. . . . will they start calling my hubby a tribalist?
cry cry

babapupa:

You no dry disappoint with your ignorance at all. Try shut up and quit talking rubbish sometimes.
God bless you babapupa kiss

Ileke-IdI:

Ok, am really bored and tired of writing some 50 page paper. . . . make una start cursing each other so that I can get some entertainment.
Gbagaun!!! Round one!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by aljharem(m): 4:19am On Nov 22, 2010
Blazing99:

A man lied that he is who he is not and was accepted
People came out with proofs that he lied and deceived millions of people.
He is still lying and his critics keep proving he is a scam
And shallow people are supporting him because he is one of theirs.
For goodness sake, do we really like being deceived in this country? And when the wave of truth comes why do we keep criticising those who bring it in the name of racism and tribalism?

gbam, very shallow people cry cry
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by AloyEmeka5: 4:23am On Nov 22, 2010
violent:

There are certain facts that does not necessarily fall under privacy rules, one of such facts will be double checking if a particular student had attended a particular university or if the student is merely falsifying and wrongfully parading himself has an alumni of such school, i doubt if any school would not oblige you such information.

For instance, I could send a letter to a school to find out if XYZ graduated from the school, I am most likely going to get an answer for that without obtaining warrants from the DA or permission from XYZ, however, if i request for further information such as XYZ's grades at school, then, I'd definitely need some sort of permission for that.

I don't know how much you know about the legal system in America but no professional will make a comment like this below because that is a violation of privacy rules.

Also, privacy issues apart, is it not the same PHD or no PHD that is still the issue here?. What else is new from the news?.

I will not indulge Babapupa here because we are not on the same level. The only thing he knows in this life is how to collect egunje from Fashola to market his propaganda and if you refuse to buy his market, you are an enemy.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by violent(m): 4:25am On Nov 22, 2010
i respect your comment and i know where you are coming from. sadly, in nigeria, we look at everything ethnically.

but, why should we investigate him if the USA is not? his he an american citizen or nigerian? we have to promote our people instead of digging them out. although, i am still surprise that he has not provided evidence to prove them otherwise.

I'd tell you why. . .cos he's Nigerian, and he's currently on the nation's postal stamp, we present him to the world as our hero, if truly he lied as alleged, then what does that say about the country itself?
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Mariory(m): 4:31am On Nov 22, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

I don't know how much you know about the legal system in America but no professional will make a comment like this below because that is a violation of privacy rules.

If you read the quote that you qouted, you would have noticed those comments are the ruling of two Judges in a court case. So privacy has nothing to do with it. See full quote below.

bookface:

Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Princek12(m): 4:45am On Nov 22, 2010
Emeagweli probably has a low self esteem, for he feels he has to substantially embellish his achievements to compensate for his shortfall in obtaining his phD. This man is a bonafide liar, and I would not believe a damn thing he says. He is an  who is destroying Nigeria's reputation. How can someone lie to defend his lies. He has lied so much that Emeagwali himself probably does not remember his stories.

It is obvious. Most successful people do not have to speak about their achievements; their achievements speak for themselves. It is telling when someone such as Emeagwali has to always speak about his achievements all the time.

He is like that guy who meets a girl and spends the whole day talking about how much money he has and blah blah blah. If you have real money, you don't have to say a damn thing; people will see.

Emeagwali is muthafuggin liar. He is a disgrace to mankind.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 5:40am On Nov 22, 2010
Hmmmm?? It would have been a different issue if CNN, BBC or some other reputable international media organization or Journalist were making these allegations. But Sahara Reporters??!! Why will anybody lose sleep over them?!

Sahara who

Abeg talk another thing!!!

Knowing how horrible and nasty (enuff evidence on dis site) we Nigerians are to one another, I don't think any rational unbiased Nigerian can take these allegations seriously until some credible international media organisation comes up with something or backs the allegation up.

If this is the work of haters, and I sincerely hope it isn't; is this the best they can come up with??
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by aljharem(m): 5:45am On Nov 22, 2010
seriously, if u people do not see anything wrong with what he has done, then God help us all from the so called "tomorrow's leader"
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 5:49am On Nov 22, 2010
alj harem:

seriously, if u people do not see anything wrong with what he has done, then God help us all from the so called "tomorrow's leader"

In making this statement, you are assuming that we have to beleive anything SR publishes. This is where the problem is. I will never condone such actions "if they are true".
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 5:54am On Nov 22, 2010
Princek12:

He is like that guy who meets a girl and spends the whole day talking about how much money he has and blah blah blah. If you have real money, you don't have to say a damn thing; people will see.

You've obviously learnt the hard way!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Enugu Assembly Passes Bill Banning Okada / PDP, NURTW In Free For All Fight In Ibadan / Buhari Orders Investigation Of Strange Disease In Jigawa State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.