Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,961 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Soul, Spirit And Memory - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Soul, Spirit And Memory (4414 Views)

Cape Town Drenched In Purple In Memory Of Archbishop Desmond Tutu / What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 8:10pm On Feb 21, 2019
This is for those who say humans have a soul and/or spirit independent of the body. One feature of this soul or spirit is that has all the personality and memories of the human being. Now if this is the case why is no one can remember anything from conception to about 2 years old? My own personal recollections start at about 3 years old, same with some other people I have asked. It would seem that an independent spirit or soul that has all our memories would allow us to remember every thing with clarity but this is not the case.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 9:48pm On Feb 21, 2019
LordReed:
This is for those who say humans have a soul and/or spirit independent of the body. One feature of this soul or spirit is that has all the personality and memories of the human being. Now if this is the case why is no one can remember anything from conception to about 2 years old? My own personal recollections start at about 3 years old, same with some other people I have asked. It would seem that an independent spirit or soul that has all our memories would allow us to remember every thing with clarity but this is not the case.
I vividly remember telling one of my kids, salient truths, but when I asked about it years later, the kid has no recollection, we had the conversation. I've put it down to what I call "kid amnesia". Now on about your question, well, the reason why no one can remember anything from conception to about 2 years old is because apparently our brains at that period isnt developed to function enough as to be putting our experiences down as memories

2 Likes

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Nobody: 11:35pm On Feb 21, 2019
I remember when I was a year plus. Momma took me to a party at night and carried me on her laps. The scene was dark, can remember seeing mum face

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 10:56am On Feb 22, 2019
Michellekabod1:
I remember when I was a year plus. Momma took me to a party at night and carried me on her laps. The scene was dark, can remember seeing mum face

Do you remember being in the womb? Do you remember being born?

I have pictures of me at 1 and I can't even remember them being taken.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 22, 2019
LordReed:

No....have pictures of me of two months
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by CodeTemplar: 12:15pm On Feb 22, 2019
LordReed:
Immediate I saw the bold, I laughed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 12:30pm On Feb 22, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Immediate I saw the bold, I laughed.

Why?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by spongeisback: 12:34pm On Feb 22, 2019
Please don't believe anything she says.
LordReed:

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 12:45pm On Feb 22, 2019
spongeisback:
Please don't believe anything she says.

Why?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by spongeisback: 12:48pm On Feb 22, 2019
LordReed:

Why?
She's not straight forward.

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2019
spongeisback:

She's not straight forward.

I have no evidence of that.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:04pm On Feb 22, 2019
The biblical position is that we are spirits living in a physical, unresurrected body. That is, according to the Bible,

Human soul = physical, unresurrected body + human spirit.

As to your question directly, our body is our means of expressing and interacting with the Universe. We are majorly physical beings in this body so our spiritual "resources" are not that available to us.

That is one big reason why the Resurrection is a big deal for Christians. We look forward to New bodies which are suited to spiritual existence. Those bodies will be perfect tools for our spirits to express themselves and interact with spiritual realities as isn't the case right now because of the weakness of our bodies today.

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 11:08pm On Feb 22, 2019
Ihedinobi3:
The biblical position is that we are spirits living in a physical, unresurrected body. That is, according to the Bible,

Human soul = physical, unresurrected body + human spirit.

As to your question directly, our body is our means of expressing and interacting with the Universe. We are majorly physical beings in this body so our spiritual "resources" are not that available to us.

That is one big reason why the Resurrection is a big deal for Christians. We look forward to New bodies which are suited to spiritual existence. Those bodies will be perfect tools for our spirits to express themselves and interact with spiritual realities as isn't the case right now because of the weakness of our bodies today.
Please shed light on OP's question, asked, concerning why is, no one can remember anything from conception to about 2 years old?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:13pm On Feb 22, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Please shed light on OP's question, asked, concerning why is, no one can remember anything from conception to about 2 years old?
My answer was in the post you quoted. Our bodies today are suited to physical life so our spirits are very limited in expression in them.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 11:22pm On Feb 22, 2019
Ihedinobi3:
My answer was in the post you quoted. Our bodies today are suited to physical life so our spirits are very limited in expression in them.
Are you saying our bodies are capable of remembering things except from conception to about 2 years old then?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:30pm On Feb 22, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Are you saying our bodies are capable of remembering things except from conception to about 2 years old then?
I am saying that our bodies can barely remember what happened yesterday much less what happened when we were 2.

As for conception, the human spirit is only created and put into the body after it has been formed. So, the human person (or soul) only begins to exist at birth, not at conception.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 11:36pm On Feb 22, 2019
Ihedinobi3:
I am saying that our bodies can barely remember what happened yesterday much less what happened when we were 2.

As for conception, the human spirit is only created and put into the body after it has been formed. So, the human person (or soul) only begins to exist at birth, not at conception.
This is all conventional wisdom things you are saying so without further mincing words, shed unmistakable light on why, no one can remember anything from conception and/or birth to about 2 years old please?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:39pm On Feb 22, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
This is all conventional wisdom things you are saying so without further mincing words, shed unmistakable light on why, no one can remember anything from conception and/or birth to about 2 years old please?
I have repeated the answer twice now. I'm not doing so again.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 11:42pm On Feb 22, 2019
Ihedinobi3:
I have repeated the answer twice now. I'm not doing so again.
Suit yourself

2 Likes

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 2:56pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Hold up, our memories are part of the spiritual "resources"?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 2:59pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:
Hold up, our memories are part of the spiritual "resources"?
Are they physical quantities?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 3:06pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Are they physical quantities?

As far as we know it has not proved otherwise hence my question.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:11pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:

As far as we know it has not proved otherwise hence my question.
I'm afraid I don't understand. Do you mean that memories have not proven to be other than physical quantities?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 3:28pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I'm afraid I don't understand. Do you mean that memories have not proven to be other than physical quantities?

Not memories themselves but the capacity for their formation and storage. Those have been shown to be physical. If the capacity to form or store is lost the memories themselves are lost. This would not be true were it that their formation or storage was independent of the physical.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:38pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:

Not memories themselves but the capacity for their formation and storage. Those have been shown to be physical. If the capacity to form or store is lost the memories themselves are lost. This would not be true were it that their formation or storage was independent of the physical.
Here's an analogy, albeit an imperfect one: when, say, a glass breaks and all the water in it is spilled, the water is lost but only to anyone who can't recover it from everything it got onto or into. Ants may be able to drink the water still, a cloth could still soak it up etc. So the water is not really lost, just inaccessible to the thirsty human.

Our memories are spiritual resources, as is all knowledge, but our access to it is limited in the bodies we live in because these bodies are weak by nature. They were created to limit our spirit's ability both to express itself and to access spiritual realities. That was the way that human beings were going to be tested: would we trust God about things that we don't know and concerning things we are too weak to do anything about and in the perpetual needs and demands of our physical bodies?

So, while our brains are what we use to access and use knowledge including our memories, our memories themselves are not part of our brains. They are not lost, only inaccessible to us.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 3:54pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Here's an analogy, albeit an imperfect one: when, say, a glass breaks and all the water in it is spilled, the water is lost but only to anyone who can't recover it from everything it got onto or into. Ants may be able to drink the water still, a cloth could still soak it up etc. So the water is not really lost, just inaccessible to the thirsty human.

Our memories are spiritual resources, as is all knowledge, but our access to it is limited in the bodies we live in because these bodies are weak by nature. They were created to limit our spirit's ability both to express itself and to access spiritual realities. That was the way that human beings were going to be tested: would we trust God about things that we don't know and concerning things we are too weak to do anything about and in the perpetual needs and demands of our physical bodies?

So, while our brains are what we use to access and use knowledge including our memories, our memories themselves are not part of our brains. They are not lost, only inaccessible to us.

How can this be demonstrated?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:59pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:

How can this be demonstrated?
Other than I just did?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 4:00pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Other than I just did?

How can an imperfect analogy be a demonstration?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 4:05pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:

How can an imperfect analogy be a demonstration?
Perfection is not always necessary for sufficiency, is it?

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Perfection is not always necessary for sufficiency, is it?

An analogy is not a demonstration, imperfect or otherwise. Now can you or can you not demonstrate what you just illustrated with an analogy?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by firestar(f): 4:31pm On Feb 23, 2019
Interesting subject you picked Milord Reed.

I agree with you and other gents here that memories are fragile even suppressed.
There’s a photo I’ve seen that I can’t recall ever taking at a tender age. Yet, there are instances of flashbacks triggered by stimuli:
Fragrance.
Music.
Scene.
Hugs.
Food.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:

An analogy is not a demonstration, imperfect or otherwise. Now can you or can you not demonstrate what you just illustrated with an analogy?
I am quite sure that an analogy is a sufficient demonstration in many cases. But I'll humor you.

All physical things can be measured by physical means. We can measure the length, weight, amount, strength etc of all sorts of things. In what way do you measure memories themselves?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nollywood Actress Camillia Mberekpe Visits Christ Mercyland Deliverance Ministry / Astrology And Psychic Reading / The Christians Should Provide Evidences,from The Bible, About Jesus's Death On The Cross.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.