Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,006 members, 7,835,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Soul, Spirit And Memory - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Soul, Spirit And Memory (4470 Views)

Cape Town Drenched In Purple In Memory Of Archbishop Desmond Tutu / What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2019
firestar:
Interesting subject you picked Milord Reed.

I agree with you and other gents here that memories are fragile even suppressed.
There’s a photo I’ve seen that I can’t recall ever taking at a tender age. Yet, there are instances of flashbacks triggered by stimuli:
Fragrance.
Music.
Scene.
Hugs.
Food.

Firestar!!! Hiiii!!! Long time, girl. How have you been?

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by firestar(f): 4:41pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Firestar!!! Hiiii!!! Long time, girl. How have you been?

(Hugs Ihedinobi3 and lifts him with superhuman strength!) grin

I am alright Love, not bad at all and you?
Indeed its been awhile!
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 4:43pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I am saying that our bodies can barely remember what happened yesterday much less what happened when we were 2.

As for conception, the human spirit is only created and put into the body after it has been formed. So, the human person (or soul) only begins to exist at birth, not at conception.

At what point does that happen? When the baby is in the process or after? Note that during the process doctors are concerned with having it elongated lest the baby weaken and die.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 4:45pm On Feb 23, 2019
firestar:
Interesting subject you picked Milord Reed.

I agree with you and other gents here that memories are fragile even suppressed.
There’s a photo I’ve seen that I can’t recall ever taking at a tender age. Yet, there are instances of flashbacks triggered by stimuli:
Fragrance.
Music.
Scene.
Hugs.
Food.

Glad you appreciate. Haven't seen you around here in a while. Hope you are well.

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 4:50pm On Feb 23, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I am quite sure that an analogy is a sufficient demonstration in many cases. But I'll humor you.

It is not.

All physical things can be measured by physical means. We can measure the length, weight, amount, strength etc of all sorts of things. In what way do you measure memories themselves?

I have no idea if memories themselves can be measured how ever fMRI can show the areas of the brain being activated by memory recall.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 4:54pm On Feb 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I vividly remember telling one of my kids, salient truths, but when I asked about it years later, the kid has no recollection, we had the conversation. I've put it down to what I call "kid amnesia". Now on about your question, well, the reason why no one can remember anything from conception to about 2 years old is because apparently our brains at that period isnt developed to function enough as to be putting our experiences down as memories

So how does the soul and/or spirit now possess these memories? Or it/they don't?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by firestar(f): 4:58pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:

Glad you appreciate. Haven't seen you around here in a while. Hope you are well.

Yes I am! smiley
Thank you for asking.
And you Milord, if I may, what inspired you to enquire?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 5:14pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:
So how does the soul and/or spirit now possess these memories? Or it/they don't?
As I earlier said, I vividly remember sharing salient points and facts of life with one of my kids when younger, and was stunned, when years later, I asked about them but was told couldnt remember me saying them. I've since put the non recollection down to what I call "kid amnesia" Also, like I also earlier said, the reason why no one remembers anything from conception to about 2 years old is because apparently our brains at that period isnt developed to function enough as to be putting our experiences down as memories. Now to this your other question of how the soul and/or spirit now possess these memories, well, this is not an easy or stratightforward question to answer because which type of memories are you talking about

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 5:24pm On Feb 23, 2019
firestar:

Yes I am! smiley
Thank you for asking.
And you Milord, if I may, what inspired you to enquire?

My own personal inquires into why my memories seem to attenuate into seeming nonexistence beyond the age of 3. If we have spirits/souls independent of the body with our personalities and memories which can survive death why is this the case? I wanted to hear what those who believe in the existence of spirits/souls have to say about it.

2 Likes

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 5:31pm On Feb 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
As I earlier said, I vividly remember sharing salient points and facts of life with one of my kids when younger, and was stunned, when years later, I asked about them but was told couldnt remember me saying them. I've since put the non recollection down to what I call "kid amnesia" Also, like I also earlier said, the reason why no one remembers anything from conception to about 2 years old is because apparently our brains at that period isnt developed to function enough as to be putting our experiences down as memories. Now to this your other question of how the soul and/or spirit now possess these memories, well, this is not an easy or stratightforward question to answer because which type of memories are you talking about

Memories of significant events or even of mundane things like we seem to recall from time to time. I doubt anybody remembers what his/her mother's breast tasted like even though you sucked on it for months, day in, day out.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 5:54pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:
Memories of significant events or even of mundane things like we seem to recall from time to time. I doubt anybody remembers what his/her mother's breast tasted like even though you sucked on it for months, day in, day out.
I am quite sure, there exists, at least one person who does but then the breast I sucked recently, though I remember enjoying the suck, I dont really have any recollection of how it tasted. I guess, my brain just failed to store up the memory of the breast taste.

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 7:11pm On Feb 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I am quite sure, there exists, at least one person who does but then the breast I sucked recently, though I remember enjoying the suck, I dont really have any recollection of how it tasted. I guess, my brain just failed to store up the memory of the breast taste.

1 out of billions?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by firestar(f): 7:13pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:

My own personal inquires into why my memories seem to attenuate into seeming nonexistence beyond the age of 3. If we have spirits/souls independent of the body with our personalities and memories which can survive death why is this the case? I wanted to hear what those who believe in the existence of spirits/souls have to say about it.

Is the Spirit/Soul independent of our very being?

Or rather, what exactly consists of our existence that is Life?

I remember something about what is quoted in the Scriptures ( Would have to revisit my notes)
about Jesus always referring to His Father especially when he was a child of 12. If he was aware of his pre-existence even as a child, doesn’t it not open more questions to the human consciousness?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 7:17pm On Feb 23, 2019
firestar:

I remember something about what is quoted in the Scriptures ( Would have to revisit my notes)
about Jesus always referring to His Father especially when he was a child of 12. If he was aware of his pre-existence even as a child, doesn’t it not open more questions to the human consciousness?

It does, for which little in the way of answers have come.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 7:24pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:
1 out of billions?
I am certain there exists more than one person out of billions
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 7:25pm On Feb 23, 2019
firestar:

Those who believe say it is.

As far as I know there has not been any convincing display of anything that is "spiritual".

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 7:26pm On Feb 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I am certain there exists more than one person out of billions

Yet such persons have not been found.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 8:10pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:
Yet such persons have not been found.
Trust me such persons are found. Besides that, the freakishness out about, there is a high propability these are those whose hippocampus developed faster than others to make them retain some and certain memories from conception to about 2 years old. Their numbers are few and far in between. I can share some uncanny stories of these few and far in between and their stories of memories from conception to about 2 years old with you, but since I dont want to particularly freak or alarm anyone, I wouldn't.

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 8:34pm On Feb 23, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Trust me such persons are found. Besides that, the freakishness out about, there is a high propability these are those whose hippocampus developed faster than others to make them retain some and certain memories from conception to about 2 years old. Their numbers are few and far in between. I can share some uncanny stories of these few and far in between and their stories of memories from conception to about 2 years old with you, but since I dont want to particularly freak or alarm anyone, I wouldn't.

Link to where such people have been studied or even mentioned.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 8:47pm On Feb 23, 2019
LordReed:
Link to where such people have been studied or even mentioned.
Read about a study done by the UK newspaper, the Guardian, done with its readers contributing their memories from conception to about 2 years old and more experiences, start from last paragraph on page 305 up to page 314 of this [url=https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CfyrQhNfj5QC&lpg=PA308&ots=bLRslbEt5F&dq=I%20had%20a%20dream%20when%20I%20was%20around%20four%20years%20old%20that%20I%27ve%20never%20forgotten.%20I%20dreamt%20that%20I%20was%20sucked%20up%20by%20my%20mum%27s%20vacuum%20cleaner%2C%20the%20type%20with%20the&pg=PA308#v=onepage&q=]In Search of Self[/url] link

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 11:09am On Feb 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Read about a study done by the UK newspaper, the Guardian, done with its readers contributing their memories from conception to about 2 years old and more experiences, start from last paragraph on page 305 up to page 314 of this [url=https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=CfyrQhNfj5QC&lpg=PA308&ots=bLRslbEt5F&dq=I%20had%20a%20dream%20when%20I%20was%20around%20four%20years%20old%20that%20I%27ve%20never%20forgotten.%20I%20dreamt%20that%20I%20was%20sucked%20up%20by%20my%20mum%27s%20vacuum%20cleaner%2C%20the%20type%20with%20the&pg=PA308#v=onepage&q=]In Search of Self[/url] link

Interesting read. However several issues arise when checking this out. 1st it was not a study done by the Guardian, it was user submitted stories to a website purportedly called Helium.com. 2nd when you go to Helium.com you find it is a tech solutions website but if you do a search for helium.com, you get a result that indicates there was a paid writing service called helium.com that paid people for writing articles. That throws up the question how much are you going to trust the stories of people who are paid to write stories.

In any case I found some in other places. I will take my time to go through.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 11:20am On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:
Interesting read. However several issues arise when checking this out. 1st it was not a study done by the Guardian, it was user submitted stories to a website purportedly called Helium.com. 2nd when you go to Helium.com you find it is a tech solutions website but if you do a search for helium.com, you get a result that indicates there was a paid writing service called helium.com that paid people for writing articles. That throws up the question how much are you going to trust the stories of people who are paid to write stories.

In any case I found some in other places. I will take my time to go through.
They are interesting and surreal indeed. I actually have the original content that is from a Guardian Newspaper website, if you want or prefer that. What I showed earlier were entirely copied off a Guardian Newspaper website to that link
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:53am On Feb 24, 2019
firestar:

(Hugs Ihedinobi3 and lifts him with superhuman strength!) grin

I am alright Love, not bad at all and you?
Indeed its been awhile!
I've been fine too, Firestar. It sure has.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:54am On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

At what point does that happen? When the baby is in the process or after? Note that during the process doctors are concerned with having it elongated lest the baby weaken and die.
I don't understand your question here. What process are you referring to and what are doctors concerned about being elongated?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:58am On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

It is not.
I was rather tired yesterday so I didn't mention that an analogy is part of an argument. An argument is a demonstration of the correctness of a point of view. And I did make one even after making the analogy.

LordReed:
I have no idea if memories themselves can be measured how ever fMRI can show the areas of the brain being activated by memory recall.
Sure, we can measure what parts of the brain are being used by our spirits when we do anything same as we can visually discern the physical movements of our bodies which are only the operations of our spirits through the equipment of our physical bodies.

But memories cannot be measured physically. Because they are not physical quantities.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 1:22pm On Feb 24, 2019
[quote author=Ihedinobi3 post=76066814]
I was rather tired yesterday so I didn't mention that an analogy is part of an argument. An argument is a demonstration of the correctness of a point of view. And I did make one even after making the analogy.

That is not the kind of demonstration I was referring to.

Sure, we can measure what parts of the brain are being used by our spirits when we do anything same as we can visually discern the physical movements of our bodies which are only the operations of our spirits through the equipment of our physical bodies.

But memories cannot be measured physically. Because they are not physical quantities.

LoL, so in effect the spirit does not function independently of the body?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 1:24pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I don't understand your question here. What process are you referring to and what are doctors concerned about being elongated?

The birthing process, when the baby is emerging. I am asking if at that point the spirit is already in the baby because the child can grow distressed if the process takes too long.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 1:37pm On Feb 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
They are interesting and surreal indeed. I actually have the original content that is from a Guardian Newspaper website, if you want or prefer that. What I showed earlier were entirely copied off a Guardian Newspaper website to that link

Yes give the Guardian link.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:
Yes give the Guardian link.
https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-2899,00.html
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 2:31pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:
That is not the kind of demonstration I was referring to.
Not sure why it has to be the kind you were referring to that I am responsible to give. Are you some kind of a god that the rules don't apply to?

LordReed:
LoL, so in effect the spirit does not function independently of the body?
How did you reach that conclusion?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 2:33pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

The birthing process, when the baby is emerging. I am asking if at that point the spirit is already in the baby because the child can grow distressed if the process takes too long.
It happens at birth. Sometimes it doesn't happen and the baby is stillborn. But when it does happen, it happens at birth.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 2:54pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

It happens at birth. Sometimes it doesn't happen and the baby is stillborn. But when it does happen, it happens at birth.

What am asking is what are you referring to as birth? Is it after the baby fully emerges or when the baby is emerging?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Eating Before Going To Church:Is Right Or Wrong? / Islam Is GOD Almighty's Original Religion To All Of Mankind / Benny Hinn Caught With Another Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.