Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,694 members, 7,831,160 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Soul, Spirit And Memory - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Soul, Spirit And Memory (4458 Views)

Cape Town Drenched In Purple In Memory Of Archbishop Desmond Tutu / What's The Difference Between The Spirit And The Soul? / How Do We Worship God In Spirit And Truth ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Not sure why it has to be the kind you were referring to that I am responsible to give. Are you some kind of a god that the rules don't apply to?

What are you on about? It is very easy to say "I cannot give you the demonstration you seek" instead of making nonsensical quibbles.

How did you reach that conclusion?

I did not reach any conclusion, I am asking you.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:13pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

What are you on about? It is very easy to say "I cannot give you the demonstration you seek" instead of making nonsensical quibbles.
I know it is. But I try to say the correct things even if they are the more difficult things to say.

LordReed:
I did not reach any conclusion, I am asking you.
Is that why you thought it was funny? Because what you thought it meant was not funny?

Angels are spirits which do not possess bodies. Their lack does not appear to hamper them at all. In fact, it is precisely their lack of physical bodies that makes them far more powerful and intelligent than we are.

Human spirits were created in bodies so that we would be tested as we are right now. At the end of our testing, we will still have interim bodies and, ultimately, Resurrection Bodies which will give our spirits free rein to fully express ourselves and fully experience God's Creation.

This is a boon. It is not a deprivation. Having a body is not to render our spirits dependent but to ultimately give them a means of expression like nothing else in this universe has.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:14pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

What am asking is what are you referring to as birth? Is it after the baby fully emerges or when the baby is emerging?
If you have a problem with what birth means, I'm not sure this conversation is the right place to be looking for the answer.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 3:44pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

If you have a problem with what birth means, I'm not sure this conversation is the right place to be looking for the answer.

You are a piece of work. Everything has to be like catching slippery eels with you because you assume everything is a trap. Simple questions turn into gigantic quibbles over nonsense. I have no problem with the meaning of birth however I want to have a clearer picture of what you are saying but instead of being as clear as you can, you turn it into a quibble over meaning. If it was you you'd start accusing me of being disingenuous meanwhile you have asked me questions in this same thread and I answered you with no quibble. Guy you should reevaluate this your style.

2 Likes

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Is that why you thought it was funny? Because what you thought it meant was not funny?

Angels are spirits which do not possess bodies. Their lack does not appear to hamper them at all. In fact, it is precisely their lack of physical bodies that makes them far more powerful and intelligent than we are.

Human spirits were created in bodies so that we would be tested as we are right now. At the end of our testing, we will still have interim bodies and, ultimately, Resurrection Bodies which will give our spirits free rein to fully express ourselves and fully experience God's Creation.

This is a boon. It is not a deprivation. Having a body is not to render our spirits dependent but to ultimately give them a means of expression like nothing else in this universe has.

I laughed because of the implications as I saw it but I didn't jump into any conclusions so I asked a question. And your answer seems to confirm that the so called spirit does not operate independently of the body.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:47pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

You are a piece of work. Everything has to be like catching slippery eels with you because you assume everything is a trap. Simple questions turn into gigantic quibbles over nonsense. I have no problem with the meaning of birth however I want to have a clearer picture of what you are saying but instead being as clear as you you turn it into a quibble over meaning. If it was you you'd start accusing me of being disingenuous meanwhile you have asked me questions in this same thread and I answered you with no quibble. Guy you should reevaluate this your style.
LordReed, I was not trying to offend you or rile you up, but your question was the type that leaves one wondering how else birth could possibly be explained. Let me put it this way then:

The first breath that a baby draws is evidence that a spirit has been put into the body.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

LordReed, I was not trying to offend you or rile you up, but your question was the type that leaves one wondering how else birth could possibly be explained. Let me put it this way then:

The first breath that a baby draws is evidence that a spirit has been put into the body.

How hard was that? That's all I wanted to know.

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

I laughed because of the implications as I saw it but I didn't jump into any conclusions so I asked a question. And your answer seems to confirm that the so called spirit does not operate independently of the body.
That was why I asked.

Even if angelic spirits do not have bodies and still operate just fine without them?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

How hard was that? That's all I wanted to know.
Hard, obviously.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 3:52pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

That was why I asked.

Even if angelic spirits do not have bodies and still operate just fine without them?

I am referring to so called human spirits.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 4:01pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

I am referring to so called human spirits.
Do you suspect a difference in ability between the two kinds?

Anyway, everything the Bible teaches about angels and human beings suggests a strong similarity between angelic spirits and human spirits.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 4:10pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Do you suspect a difference in ability between the two kinds?

Anyway, everything the Bible teaches about angels and human beings suggests a strong similarity between angelic spirits and human spirits.

One very glaring disparity, no angels have been recorded on tape or pictured as far as i know.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

One very glaring disparity, no angels have been recorded on tape or pictured as far as i know.
Nor have memories been recorded on tape or pictures.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by firestar(f): 5:57pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

Those who believe say it is.

As far as I know there has not been any convincing display of anything that is "spiritual".

Convincing displays you say?
Don’t you assent that Man is physical being with spiritual capacity?

That separates us from animals who aren’t.
Yet, we are referred to as souls, rather than possessing them.

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 6:25pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:
I am sure you are familiar with the biblical phrase, "the spirit is willing but the body is weak"

I dont want to go into the deep end with you on what the physiology, details and/or intricacies of the spirit is, aside saying that, Man is a spirit being, residing or housed in a Body and possessing a Soul. In fact, the Soul is the first medium key component of Man created by God and Man on earth, is aroused or awaken and accessed through this Soul by way of a body and spirit. This means Man is made up of a body, Soul (i.e. uses the heart as an outlet) and spirit. Now the Soul has the body and spirit on each opposite sides of it and in effectively, serves as the mediator between the body and spirit. What this means is that, there will exist conflicts between the body, that some call your carnal man and the spirit, that otherwise is called your spirit man, it is the responsiblity of the soul to reconcile them.

This next point is very important to take onboard, and it is that, the Soul is the most important existence of Man and that is why the battle is and always has been about and/or over the Soul. All attack is ultimately targeted at acquisition of the Soul. Whilst one is trying the very best to steal, kill or destroy, another doesnt want anyone to perish and/or destroyed. Remember I earlier mentioned that the Soul has the body and spirit on each opposite sides of it? and that the Soul, in effective, is the mediator between the body and spirit, well for particularly good reasons I couldnt discuss it further there, as it will derail the thread.

"Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way,
and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless
until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.
"
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23

"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."
- Psalm 51:10

I can vouch this much that the Spirit, Soul and Body have distinct and different roles they play, and up there, 1 Thessalonians 5:23 hints about keeping the three above board whilst Psalm 51:10 reveals how important a clean heart and right spirit is

In fact, the spirit, typifies what has to do with our relation to God or our consciousness of God (i.e. relation with what is more than ourselves), the soul, typifies what has to do with our relation to ourselves or our self consciousness and the body, typifies what has to do with our relation to the physical and material world (i.e. relation with what is less than ourselves)

I am quite sure that in your former church days LordReed, you were familiar with the sayings in Leviticus 17:11 and Deuteronomy 12:23 or Genesis 2:7, Job 33:4 and Job 27:3 that:
the LIFE of the FLESH is in the BLOOD and the LIFE of the SOUL is in the breath/SPIRIT

What they imply is that the BLOOD makes the difference between the life and death of the BODY, as in, when blood stops circulating, the SOUL departs/exits the body, meaning, a body without a soul becomes a corpse or dead body

Also the SPIRIT makes the difference between the life and death of the SOUL, as in, when spirit leaves, the SOUL is empty, meaning, a soul without spirit becomes a dead soul

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."
- Ecclesiastes 12:7

"For I won't accuse forever, nor will I always be angry; for then the human spirit would grow faint before me— even the souls that I have created."
- Isaiah 57:16

"Then the LORD said,
"My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh.
In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years."
"
- Genesis 6:3

Verses like Ecclesiastes 12:7, Isaiah 57:16 and Genesis 6:3 reproduced above, shows that the spirit does go back to God[/b] and that your Soul outlives you, your body and spirit.

Make no mistake LordReed, we are breath-man or spirit-man who happen to be Souls, it is the breath of God, the ruach, the spirit that keeps the body and soul ticking on. When the last breath is drawn, the breath or spirit goes back to God and the Soul then departs this side of eternity. Ourselves, our Soul is like a ballon, it is like a ballon with air in it, and you know, as I dont have to explain what happens when there is air in balloons and what happens when there is no more air in a ballon. We essentially are like balloons, we need air (i.e. ruach, God's breath and/or spirit source of life) inside us, to become functional on earth.

The Bible, in Ezekiel 18:20 says, it is soul that sinneth, it shall die, it doesnt say it is the spirit that shall die. It also states in Ezekiel 18:4: "Behold, every soul belongs to Me; both father and son are Mine. The soul who sins is the one who will die", so please LordReed stop, and do not be, just like that be mixing up the soul with spirit, because it is the Soul, that on judgement, will then, have to give account and explanations for every single deed, action, thought and statement it as a human being made whilst living on earth. God help the Soul, who has no Advocate to fight his or her corner for them, God have mercy on him or her who decides to represent themselves against Satan the ultimate Prosecutor

The devil doesnt hide the fact it is after the Soul, and all human beings to the devil are easy pickings, as the Soul is easy to steal, easy to get at when the spirit is subdued and/or killed off, so to attack, to steal and to destroy the Soul and all it owns, by weakening the spirit, by cutting off the Soul's access to God via a right, willing and vibrant spirit are all part of the devil's masterplan.

I can go on, but even as it is, all this is already, as it is, likely information overload, so last addition, will say, souls have memory, even after death, the memory is there and still active

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 7:27pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

Nor have memories been recorded on tape or pictures.

Nor have memories been said to wield swords and slaughter thousands of people.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 7:36pm On Feb 24, 2019
firestar:

Convincing displays you say?
Don’t you assent that Man is physical being with spiritual capacity?

That separates us from animals who aren’t.
Yet, we are referred to as souls, rather than possessing them.

The only thing that separates us from animals is our increased capacity for cogitation and the sophistication and coherence of our language. Animals are capable of almost everything else. They use tools, they express emotions, they express love, they have self identity, some of them have traits that humans would be jealous of if the animals could talk. Humans think we are superior just because animals do not have a sophisticated language nor are they able to think at our level.

Anything about soul and spirit being the difference is just some people's way of explaining the difference between us and animals not because there is any objective evidence souls and/or spirits exist.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 8:22pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

Nor have memories been said to wield swords and slaughter thousands of people.
As might be expected. So, the absence of physical records of spiritual phenomena is not a real problem.

There is no reason to think that human spirits are incapable of operating independently of physical bodies. They just don't have to.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 8:38pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:
The only thing that separates us from animals is our increased capacity for cogitation and the sophistication and coherence of our language. Animals are capable of almost everything else. They use tools, they express emotions, they express love, they have self identity, some of them have traits that humans would be jealous of if the animals could talk. Humans think we are superior just because animals do not have a sophisticated language nor are they able to think at our level.
I concur wholeheartedly with all you said here except for typing that humans think we are superior just because animals do not have a sophisticated language nor are they able to think at our level. Humans dont think they are superior just because of those thimgs you itemised, human are superior because of hierarchy and a God given status given to them over animals

LordReed:
Anything about soul and spirit being the difference is just some people's way of explaining the difference between us and animals not because there is any objective evidence souls and/or spirits exist.
There isnt any difference between animals and humans, in relation to souls (i.e. nephesh) and spirits (i.e. ruach). Soul and spirit are the same for both animals and humans, but the difference is in hierarchy, status, accountability, responsibilities and their individual rights. Humans are required to explain reasons for and/or expected to justify their actions, decisions, thoughts, deeds and words, animals are not. Humans are made in the image of the Godhead and the Godhead's likeness, not animals. Humans are called sons of God, not animals and by extension even not celestial beings known as angels sef. The earth specifically was created for human habitation and for them to have dominion and rule over the animals et al

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 9:54pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

As might be expected. So, the absence of physical records of spiritual phenomena is not a real problem.

There is no reason to think that human spirits are incapable of operating independently of physical bodies. They just don't have to.

Yes the real problem is you guys cannot demonstrate convincingly anything called soul, spirit or spiritual.

Yet somehow this spirit will in some manner as you believe operate independently of the body.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 9:58pm On Feb 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
I concur wholeheartedly with all you said here except for typing that humans think we are superior just because animals do not have a sophisticated language nor are they able to think at our level. Humans dont think they are superior just because of those thimgs you itemised, human are superior because of hierarchy and a God given status given to them over animals.

There isnt any difference between animals and humans, in relation to souls (i.e. nephesh) and spirits (i.e. ruach). Soul and spirit are the same for both animals and humans, but the difference is in hierarchy, status, accountability, responsibilities and their individual rights. Humans are required to explain reasons for and/or expected to justify their actions, decisions, thoughts, deeds and words, animals are not. Humans are made in the image of the Godhead and the Godhead's likeness, not animals. Humans are called sons of God, not animals and by extension even not celestial beings known as angels sef. The earth fundamentally was created for human habitation and for them to have dominion and rule over the animals

As you are undoubtedly aware I don't believe in any such bestowed hierarchy or the supposed god that gave it, one reason being such has not been shown to exist.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 10:08pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:
As you are undoubtedly aware I don't believe in any such bestowed hierarchy or the supposed god that gave it, one reason being such has not been shown to exist.
What you dont and/or do believe in doesnt bother me, you brought that up, not me, all I did, was concurred with almost and/or entirely all what you typed
1/ Now, except for on Planet of Apes, have you ever seen, read or heard of animals domesticating human beings?
2/ Have you ever seen, read or heard of animals keeping humans as pets?
3/ Have you ever seen, read or heard of animals using humans as beast of burden?

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 10:50pm On Feb 24, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
What you dont and/or do believe in doesnt bother me, you brought that up, not me, all I did, was concurred with almost and/or entirely all what you typed
1/ Now, except for on Planet of Apes, have you ever seen, read or heard of animals domesticating human beings?
2/ Have you ever seen, read or heard of animals keeping humans as pets?
3/ Have you ever seen, read or heard of animals using humans as beast of burden?

You've come with your projecting again. Where did I mention a god in what I wrote? You brought up god and you now say I brought it up. Please if you are confused, go sit down and take a cold bottle of your favorite so your brain can reset.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 11:06pm On Feb 24, 2019
LordReed:

Yes the real problem is you guys cannot demonstrate convincingly anything called soul, spirit or spiritual.
As I always say, it's a waste of time trying to convince antichrists of the Truth of the Bible.

LordReed:
Yet somehow this spirit will in some manner as you believe operate independently of the body.
What? What are you even saying?

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 11:17pm On Feb 24, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

What? What are you even saying?

Do you not believe as your story book says the spirit will return to god?
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by MuttleyLaff: 7:05am On Feb 25, 2019
LordReed:
You've come with your projecting again. Where did I mention a god in what I wrote? You brought up god and you now say I brought it up. Please if you are confused, go sit down and take a cold bottle of your favorite so your brain can reset.
Dont even think of going there. You sure are more confused than a foxtrot uniform charlie kilo indigo november golf chameleon stucked in a bag of skittles, what I typed is that, you first brought up that you dont believe in a supposed god, and so I made the comment that what you believe in or not believe in, doesnt faze nor bother me. Where and when did I mention God or god to you, in my comment that you replied to, huh? Are you seeing doubles and what's with the vilifying? Those simple three home truths bestowed hierarchy questions must have touched a nerve, rattled your cage and made you become hostile, aggressive and throw up a tantrum, just the way spoilt brats usually do and acting like as if an ewu or the sorry plight of an animal in you coming out because you've allowing your Soul to yield to your carnal man/body cravings instead of yielding to your ruach man/spirit man/breath man craving. Your Soul is impoverish because it is starved of nourishment supply from the spirit, it is feeding just off the body, bringing forth foul fruits

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 9:47am On Feb 25, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
Dont even think of going there. You sure are more confused than a foxtrot uniform charlie kilo indigo november golf chameleon stucked in a bag of skittles, what I typed is that, you first brought up that you dont believe in a supposed god, and so I made the comment that what you believe in or not believe in, doesnt faze nor bother me. Where and when did I mention God or god to you, in my comment that you replied to, huh? Are you seeing doubles and what's with the vilifying? Those simple three home truths bestowed hierarchy questions must have touched a nerve, rattled your cage and made you become hostile, aggressive and throw up a tantrum, just the way spoilt brats usually do and acting like as if an ewu or the sorry plight of an animal in you coming out because you've allowing your Soul to yield to your carnal man/body cravings instead of yielding to your ruach man/spirit man/breath man craving. Your Soul is impoverish because it is starved of nourishment supply from the spirit, it is feeding just off the body, bringing forth foul fruits

USER HAS IGNORED YOU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 10:05pm On Feb 25, 2019
LordReed:

Do you not believe as your story book says the spirit will return to god?
I assume that you mean the Bible.

In Ecclesiastes, the Bible teaches that after we die, we answer to God for the choices we have made. That is what it means to say that the spirit returns to God Who made it.

As I already told you, when we die, our spirits receive an interim covering for them with which we go either to the Third Heaven or to Torments. Nothing in Ecclesiastes contradicts that.

Finally, weren't you arguing before that our spirits cannot operate independently of the body? Why did you suddenly switch to saying that they will? What exactly are you confused about here?

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 1:27am On Feb 26, 2019
Ihedinobi3:

I assume that you mean the Bible.

In Ecclesiastes, the Bible teaches that after we die, we answer to God for the choices we have made. That is what it means to say that the spirit returns to God Who made it.

As I already told you, when we die, our spirits receive an interim covering for them with which we go either to the Third Heaven or to Torments. Nothing in Ecclesiastes contradicts that.

Finally, weren't you arguing before that our spirits cannot operate independently of the body? Why did you suddenly switch to saying that they will? What exactly are you confused about here?

I am in no way confused and I never argued that spirits cannot operate indepently, how could I when I don't believe there is anything called spirit? maybe its you who is confused.

Almost everything in your worldview works by special pleading.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 9:16am On Feb 26, 2019
LordReed:

I am in no way confused and I never argued that spirits cannot operate indepently, how could I when I don't believe there is anything called spirit? maybe its you who is confused.

Almost everything in your worldview works by special pleading.
First you suggested that spirits cannot operate independently of the body, then you continued to misconstrue my words to confirm your suggestion. It's hard to not see how that was not an argument.

As for not being able to make an argument when you reject the very premise of it, that is false. Reductio ad absurdum is an argument that assumes premises in order to show that the position they uphold is absurd. That was very similar to what you did even if you did not know that you were doing it.

Some examples of this special pleading? Or should I take your word for it?

1 Like

Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by LordReed(m): 10:03am On Feb 26, 2019
ed
Ihedinobi3:

First you suggested that spirits cannot operate independently of the body, then you continued to misconstrue my words to confirm your suggestion. It's hard to not see how that was not an argument.

As for not being able to make an argument when you reject the very premise of it, that is false. Reductio ad absurdum is an argument that assumes premises in order to show that the position they uphold is absurd. That was very similar to what you did even if you did not know that you were doing it.

Show where I made such a suggestion or made such an argument.

Some examples of this special pleading? Or should I take your word for it?

You said your god is the uncaused cause, that is special pleading. You said angels are spirits that have a type of body but yet cannot be captured on film, that is special pleading. You say human spirits do not operate without the body yet when humans die their spirits will gain a special covering, that is special pleading.
Re: Soul, Spirit And Memory by Ihedinobi3: 12:34pm On Feb 26, 2019
LordReed:
ed

Show where I made such a suggestion or made such an argument.
See the first paragraph in that post you responded to.

LordReed:
You said your god is the uncaused cause, that is special pleading. You said angels are spirits that have a type of body but yet cannot be captured on film, that is special pleading. You say human spirits do not operate without the body yet when humans die their spirits will gain a special covering, that is special pleading.
It is not special pleading when there is a good reason for exception.

1. An uncaused cause is more logical than infinite regression and those are the only two options for explaining existence. Either something has always existed and is the cause of all existence or else everything exists as a result of a cause that is the result of another cause that is itself the result of yet another cause.

Infinite regression is obviously absurd. The chain inevitably terminates at an uncaused cause.

Thus, there is no special pleading going on in that issue.

2. I don't believe I said anything about angels having bodies of any type at all. Could you quote the exact statement and add the link?

3. In what way is it special pleading that human beings get an interim body (which is what the interim covering I spoke is: a covering for our spirits that functions, for all intents and purposes, like a body until the Resurrection)?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Evolutionists Infuriated By Creation Cartoon Shown In Public School / Death By Trouser For Opposing Church Dedication - Pastor Adeboye / HOLINESS Is NOT "Optional!"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.