Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo (4286 Views)

Ilorin And Lokoja Are Yoruba Towns. / Igbo-ona, Ijebu-igbo, Igbomina: Are Yoruba's Historically Tied To Igbo's / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by macof(m): 10:18pm On Mar 12, 2019
Weedfree:

Are u so lazy that u can't check it by yourself, the Awujale himself said that the ijebus are from owodaiye empire he even stated that a particular flute used during the of the Awujale is used in Ethiopia. Olu iwa is the ruler the Negede orit's (the first wave of Ethiopians that first arrive in africa) and olu iwa is older than oduduwa because the fifth Awujale not the first helped restore oduduwa sight which was stated by the Awujale.
There it is the evidence that u wanted if you are not satisfied check it by yourself and by the time u do u will realise how much of a fool u are maybe then u will shut up cause right now u act an mindless fool.
And u said I like insulting when u first insulted me u brainless monkey.

grin grin you just a dunce. Lmao I laugh at this utter ignorance
Awujale is used in Ethiopia? grin by what ethnic group?
Olu-iwa is older than Odùduwà, maybe so but that is irrelevant as both were associates with Odùduwà even marrying the Oluiwa's daughter - Gborowo who is the national mother of Ijebu-Ode just as Òrósùn is to Idanre.

You don't study Yoruba history online and expect to know much, you read books by credible authors and go around obtaining first hand knowledge from elders.. Even at this you would still need a critical mind to discern historical authenticity
What's worse is an ignornat fool like yourself insulting people who know far far more than you can ever know

Oh and a quick free Yoruba lesson for you... OWODAIYE refers to Ifẹ̀
It is known as the first Ifẹ̀.. IFẸ̀ OWODAIYE

Another free Ijebu lesson.. Oluiwa is just a mere title for the dynasty before the Awujale. 3. Oluiwa existed
1. Osinfaderin 2. Osinumesi 3. Ofinran the childless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 12:48am On Mar 13, 2019
macof:

grin grin you just a dunce. Lmao I laugh at this utter ignorance
Awujale is used in Ethiopia? grin by what ethnic group?
Olu-iwa is older than Odùduwà, maybe so but that is irrelevant as both were associates with Odùduwà even marrying the Oluiwa's daughter - Gborowo who is the national mother of Ijebu-Ode just as Òrósùn is to Idanre.

You don't study Yoruba history online and expect to know much, you read books by credible authors and go around obtaining first hand knowledge from elders.. Even at this you would still need a critical mind to discern historical authenticity
What's worse is an ignornat fool like yourself insulting people who know far far more than you can ever know

Oh and a quick free Yoruba lesson for you... OWODAIYE refers to Ifẹ̀
It is known as the first Ifẹ̀.. IFẸ̀ OWODAIYE

Another free Ijebu lesson.. Oluiwa is just a mere title for the dynasty before the Awujale. 3. Oluiwa existed
1. Osinfaderin 2. Osinumesi 3. Ofinran the childless

DUDE where did u learn how to read I wrote a flute that was used during the coronation of Awujale is still being used in Ethiopia. There is one account about the olu iwa given is daughter to oduduwa but that would mean ife is older when it is not check.
And I do read history of ijebu and oral account in fact I am friends with one of the ruling family's in ijebu land who also told me of is own history which doesn't correspond to what u are saying.
So from ur account ife owodaiye is actually owodaiye on them where was it located cause I can tell u where the Ijebu own is located. Osinumise migrated to ijebu ode with Ajebu and Olode.
But if u check the list of past and present Awujales in ijebu land it goes as follows
OLU IWA
OSHI
OBANTA
MONIGBUWA
And goes on, the list mentioned olu iwa as an ijebu king not a title.
Get ur facts straight and don t be ignorant.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by macof(m): 1:56am On Mar 13, 2019
Weedfree:

DUDE where did u learn how to read I wrote a flute that was used during the coronation of Awujale is still being used in Ethiopia. There is one account about the olu iwa given is daughter to oduduwa but that would mean ife is older when it is not check.
And I do read history of ijebu and oral account in fact I am friends with one of the ruling family's in ijebu land who also told me of is own history which doesn't correspond to what u are saying.
So from ur account ife owodaiye is actually owodaiye on them where was it located cause I can tell u where the Ijebu own is located. Osinumise migrated to ijebu ode with Ajebu and Olode.
But if u check the list of past and present Awujales in ijebu land it goes as follows
OLU IWA
OSHI
OBANTA
MONIGBUWA
And goes on, the list mentioned olu iwa as an ijebu king not a title.
Get ur facts straight and don t be ignorant.

Wtf is this one still saying? Oga move along
If you want to learn history go through the pains of studying, buy books and travel, involve in the traditions of the people not just sit behind a computer screen and Google ijebu and argue based on the first few articles(without sources nor authors)
That's idiotic and you keep regurgitating the same nonsense about Ethiopia

I should get my facts straight? Lmao
Mr. Ijebu wa láti Ethiopia

I wonder what they call Ethiopia in ijebu dialect grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 5:48pm On Mar 13, 2019
[quote author=macof post=76606235]

Wtf is this one still saying? Oga move along
If you want to learn history go through the pains of studying, buy books and travel, involve in the traditions of the people not just sit behind a computer screen and Google ijebu and argue based on the first few articles(without sources nor authors)
That's idiotic and you keep regurgitating the same nonsense about Ethiopia

I should get my facts straight? Lmao
Mr. Ijebu wa láti Ethiopia

I wonder what they call Ethiopia in ijebu dialect

haha yet again ur reading skills are rubbish I said I am friends with a ruling family in ijebu ode and for the record I don't encourage online sources. I do read ijebu history books but some are written by Yoruba who are saying this ife origin.
Didn't u read what I wrote I said Negede Orit's is what they said they were called.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by hayoholla(m): 7:04pm On Mar 15, 2019
Weedfree:

Ur points a ridiculous Oyo empire traded with the north since they have access to the savannah which is were they got the idea to use Calvary in war which Benin empire didn't use because of their geographical location. Has I said earlier Benin empire traded with the Portuguese. And also I said Oyo empire had slaves that they are used for farm work not until 17th century that the need for slaves to be sold arose besides other tribes used bight of Benin has a means to sell slaves not only Benin empire who I heard were not involved in the selling of slaves. The map am talking about shows Oyo empire not trade map it shows kingdoms in that century.

it seems most people arguing on this bight of Biafra, bight of Benin for validation of their old kingdom due to some maps Is very ridiculous. do you guys know what a "bight" is. so you are telling me a voyager coming from Europe will have contact with oyo kingdom that is more closer to the Savannah than jet being close to the coastal region, even given her proximity to dahomey. the reason why cartographers named all those area bight of Biafra or Benin is because, they have more access to kingdom around the coast than they have to the hinterland. this prompted their assumptions that the kingdom might have extend to the hinterland, without exploring it. This is why Portuguese asked the oba of Benin if there's a kingdom more powerful, of which he answered that a king existed more powerful to the north, his face his subject has not seen. Bare in mind, that oyo empire even when her influence is waning during the emergence of Benin kingdom, has been trading with traders from the Middle East. another reason why early cartographers might not recognise the Yoruba was because, they live in a area with a lot of vegetation, an heavily forested area. so the early explorers Prolly made a judgement call that is within their scope of what they can see or who they find available to relate and interact with.

please, remove any ethnic difference aside goaleasternman and be objective

2 Likes

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 12:41am On Mar 16, 2019
hayoholla:

it seems most people arguing on this bight of Biafra, bight of Benin for validation of their old kingdom due to some maps Is very ridiculous. do you guys know what a "bight" is. so you are telling me a voyager coming from Europe will have contact with oyo kingdom that is more closer to the Savannah than jet being close to the coastal region, even given her proximity to dahomey. the reason why cartographers named all those area bight of Biafra or Benin is because, they have more access to kingdom around the coast than they have to the hinterland. this prompted their assumptions that the kingdom might have extend to the hinterland, without exploring it. This is why Portuguese asked the oba of Benin if there's a kingdom more powerful, of which he answered that a king existed more powerful to the north, his face his subject has not seen. Bare in mind, that oyo empire even when her influence is waning during the emergence of Benin kingdom, has been trading with traders from the Middle East. another reason why early cartographers might not recognise the Yoruba was because, they live in a area with a lot of vegetation, an heavily forested area. so the early explorers Prolly made a judgement call that is within their scope of what they can see or who they find available to relate and interact with.

So are you saying Oyo empire is known to Yoruba only and it is not decorated in Africa and world history
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 12:53am On Mar 16, 2019
hayoholla:

Finally were back to the matter at hand of the history of bight of Benin named after the Benin empire because of it close approximate with the coaster region. While Benin empire traded with the Portuguese oyo empire was busy trading with the Sahelian kingdoms.

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 2:29am On Mar 16, 2019
Weedfree:

Finally were back to the matter at hand of the history of bight of Benin named after the Benin empire because of it close approximate with the coaster region. While Benin empire traded with the Portuguese oyo empire was busy trading with the Sahelian kingdoms.

I will bet you there will also be no Oyo empire history in this Sahelian history expect the Yoruba version
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 2:40am On Mar 16, 2019
Weedfree:

Original above faked below by the 2 major tribe of south Nigeria currently.

For me am not disputing the fact that igbo and Yoruba are the major tribe now in South Nigeria, but this did not mean you should rewrite the history to suit to major now. Roman Empire was larger and major then just like Benin in Nigeria but it just a city now America will never take what they have in history from them. But I found this act in you igbo and Yoruba.

Note I just want history to be kept the way it is no stealing and no rewriting

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by hayoholla(m): 12:34pm On Mar 16, 2019
goalernestman:

So are you saying Oyo empire is known to Yoruba only and it is not decorated in Africa and world history

bro. please, just check back in what you posted and see if you are honest with yourself. if you seek validation from historian on some maps for the superiority of Benin empire and you are stylishly telling me that oyo empire was not known beyond her borders in spite of records that exist which showed trade activities up north and into the middle east. Bro, please be objective. that's one problem I see with Benin kingdom fanatics, always arguing in circles and twisting argument. superiority or not, look at where we are as a nation. has your history better your condition of living as a citizen of this country?

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by hayoholla(m): 12:37pm On Mar 16, 2019
goalernestman:

I will bet you there will also be no Oyo empire history in this Sahelian history expect the Yoruba version

it is really strenuous arguing with you Benin folks Walai. you only see the world from your point of view, even when evidence abounds. anything else to you, is null and void. smh

1 Like

Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 2:10pm On Mar 16, 2019
goalernestman:

Original above faked below by the 2 major tribe of south Nigeria currently.

For me am not disputing the fact that igbo and Yoruba are the major tribe now in South Nigeria, but this did not mean you should rewrite the history to suit to major now. Roman Empire was larger and major then just like Benin in Nigeria but it just a city now America will never take what they have in history from them. But I found this act in you igbo and Yoruba.

Note I just want history to be kept the way it is no stealing and no rewriting

So now u are basing ur points on major and minor ethnic groups using the Roman empire to compare with America but did u know that the Roman empire was not only based on its size but on it population at it time it hard one of the largest population in the world.
In the east we had igala empire a large empire in its own right but don't forget they also had Nri kingdom as well.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2019
goalernestman:

Then how do u explain Sultan Bello account of Oyo empire when he called them Yoruba.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 2:33pm On Mar 16, 2019
hayoholla:

it is really strenuous arguing with you Benin folks Walai. you only see the world from your point of view, even when evidence abounds. anything else to you, is null and void. smh

What evidence do you bring. evidence from Yoruba people itself or evidence Yoruba author write in a site or in Wikipedia
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by goalernestman: 2:40pm On Mar 16, 2019
Weedfree:

So now u are basing ur points on major and minor ethnic groups using the Roman empire to compare with America but did u know that the Roman empire was not only based on its size but on it population at it time it hard one of the largest population in the world.
In the east we had igala empire a large empire in its own right but don't forget they also had Nri kingdom as well.

European at that time quoted that in just a single day the king of Benin can bring out 200,000 solders what more population do you need Benin was all south Nigeria when you have an empire large like that much can be accomplished. Or do you think all those war Benin won was just fight with few peps.

Why not read about the European source of the Benin empires first before you talk.
Re: Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo by Weedfree: 5:15pm On Mar 16, 2019
goalernestman:

European at that time quoted that in just a single day the king of Benin can bring out 200,000 solders what more population do you need Benin was all south Nigeria when you have an empire large like that much can be accomplished. Or do you think all those war Benin won was just fight with few peps.

Why not read about the European source of the Benin empires first before you talk.

If Benin empire could assemble such size then where were they when the British attacked and the wars Benin empire fought were no joke they fought igala, owo, and I read somewhere even Sokoto caliphate so yeah Benin empire was a mighty kingdom.
But what u said contradict ur point about Benin empire being a minor ethnic group if they had such power and u said Benin was all South of Nigeria when in ur words was a minor ethnic group.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Are My Beautiful Idoma Sisters, And Handsom Idoma Men / Photos: Ooni Of Ife In Modakeke For Akoraye Day / German Girl In Love With An Ibo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.