Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,676 members, 7,820,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other (17989 Views)

All Sins Are Not Equal. / Are All Sins Equal? / Primate Ayodele: Five Nations Will Come Out Of Nigeria; Two Will Be Greater Than (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by omojeesu(m): 8:36am On Mar 03, 2019
The law of sowing and reaping applies here essentially in proportion to the sowing.

But all sins lead to eternal death ultimately.

I am no longer a sinner. I stopped being one the day I gave my life to Christ. I am NOW a saint.

To say you are still a sinner after you have given your life to Jesus is unfortunate.

2 Likes

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by Quality20(m): 8:38am On Mar 03, 2019
correct, was arguing with a xtian lady n was insisting that sin is sin. How can a slanderer be equal to an ordinary fornicator? Some sins are purely between u and God, but others involve others and God as well. If u repent and God forgives u, has d one u spoilt and defamed his image or u slept with his wife also forgiven u?

1 Like

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 8:39am On Mar 03, 2019
Arysexy:

This terrorist has d access to come here and talk rubbish, but Islamic threads are locked until u swear oath. I blame Seun
This is the reason you were locked off.At least he did'nt insult anyone.Bloody MOORON!

1 Like

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by Ebehi5(m): 8:40am On Mar 03, 2019
While I see how you're trying to make sense, I also see you're trying to excuse christians who instead of working on themselves, go out to condemn others. Work on yourself. You don't judge someone for sinning differently, when you've got your burden to bear. Jesus said remove the wood in your eye first, he wasn't saying it because "it is a greater sin", but because it is first YOUR PROBLEM. Stop tryna ignore your sin and downsides because you want to feel good condemning another sinner. You're only looking for an excuse to feel good while condemning. You go out to say "wo to fornicators and homosexuals' yet you're a greedy mofo who has never given to people in need. God says he will REJECT YOU...not the homosexual or the fornicator...YOU that think your sin is smaller. Work on yourselves y'all and try to correct with love. Rather than condemn in a condescending manner.

4 Likes

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by omojeesu(m): 8:41am On Mar 03, 2019
realborn:
Thank you.

This piece blessed me, and led to further reading of the following:

Venial Sin
Mortal Sin
Grave Sin
Perfect contrition
Imperfect contrition
Absolution
Anathema

Thanks again

Error!

When you don't know the Bible as you ought and lack the teachings of the Holy Spirit but instead depending on an institution, her interpretations of the Bible and traditions of men.
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by queenitee(f): 8:48am On Mar 03, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Do they all receive the same punishment here on Earth?

No. So you see, they are not equal, else you would be saying that God is not a righteous judge giving the same measurement of punishment to a pencil thief as with a murderer.

it is only one sin that sends people to hell - the rejection of Jesus.

Well, that point where you said we accepted Jesus Christ and all.

Lemme tell you a story or a christian movie I watched sister, accepted Jesus, very fervent, never committed a sin(genuinely born again) . She lives in an apartment with another sister. Let's say this sister we are talking about is sister A and the other sister, sister B.

One day, sister B went out and sister A wanted to cook, she found out she doesn't have anymore salt left and took little from sister's B salt with the hope of telling her when she arrived. Unfortunately, sister A was murdered before sister B could come back.(Note, this was her only offence since becoming a christian) When sister A gets to heaven, she was sent to hell on the account of taking someone else belonging without the person's permission which amounts to stealing. So you want to tell me sister A wasn't a believer or she doesn't know Jesus?

Again, a pastor once told a story of how God said he would go to hell if he should die because he gets annoyed a lot at home, like get annoyed with his family. Let's say God didn't reveal this to the pastor and he died and went to hell, was it that he did not believe in Jesus?

Based on these stories, I would have said all sins are equal before the lord, it's only we humans who classified them based on their gravity. If not, why would someone who committed murders accept Jesus the same way someone who only lies does? why would they receive the same grace?, but the thing is we are not in the position to judge which is the greater sin or not, lest we fall.

Even the bible says all our righteousness is like a filthy rag, so who are we to judge which is a greater sin or not, even you that think you stand, should be careful.

We are all sinners, we only pray for his grace and mercy.

But one thing I know is that all sin can be forgiven except blasphemy against the spirit.

2 Likes

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by derealj(m): 8:55am On Mar 03, 2019
All sins are not the same. There are even sins of omission. You might not even know you have committed the sin but it is still a sin. You can't place them in the same rank with deliberate sins but at the end of the day only God knows how to save his people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by Ajumbamba035: 8:58am On Mar 03, 2019
Obele njo na nnukwu njo
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by SpaceAngel: 9:02am On Mar 03, 2019
If all sins are not equal, where is a list of sins and their accompanying punishment? Does it mean there are sins one can commit as they are of lesser degree and they will not lead to hell fire? If all sins lead to hell fire then what is the need for saying there are different degree of sins? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by loko50(m): 9:04am On Mar 03, 2019
oluxy:

No one should deceive him or herself, all sins are equal before God Almighty.

Sin is sin.
Lying is a sin as equal to murdering.
No any other names but sin.

If you are a Christian, then I advise you to study the following passages well. The problem is with the interpretation of the Bible:

1 John 5:16 "If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it."

The sin here, I believe is when a man totally rejects the salvation in the Lord Jesus. God will not overrule the will of the person being prayed for. The prayer of intercession is a powerful prayer. It is an unselfish prayer for others.

It is in the will of God to save all of mankind. The unselfish prayer, prayed by someone who firmly believes, will be answered, if the person being prayed for has not totally turned against God.

In the book of James, we read:

James 5:14-15 "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:" "And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

We see from this, that it is correct to pray for the sins of others to be forgiven. The only time this would not be answered, would be if the person had totally rejected salvation in Jesus Christ. You cannot give a person something that they will not take.

1 John 5:17 "All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death."

We see in the following Scripture in Jesus' own words that sins will be forgiven. The only one that will not, is the sin against the Holy Ghost, which I believe is dying not believing in Jesus Christ.

Matthew 12:31 "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy [against] the [Holy] Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

1 Like

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by loko50(m): 9:05am On Mar 03, 2019
SpaceAngel:
If all sins are not equal, where is a list of sins and their accompanying punishment? Does it mean there are sins one can commit as they are of lesser degree and they will not lead to hell fire? If all sins lead to hell fire then what is the need for saying there are different degree of sins? undecided

1 John 5:16 will provide you with the answers
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by michru: 9:16am On Mar 03, 2019
hoopLA:

Silliness at its peak.

The end product of sin is hell-fire.

Yes or no?

That's not the point and you know it. The way your conscience react to certain sin shows they are different in its weight but still sin. You still get punished but the punishment is not the same.

Please see Matthew 18:6 for more clarification.
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by SpaceAngel: 9:26am On Mar 03, 2019
loko50:

1 John 5:16 will provide you with the answers

I asked specific questions not global. Can you give like few examples of those that lead to hell and few that don't? I don't want to assume. I won't mind the actual verses where they are.

1 Like

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by OlujobaSamuel: 9:30am On Mar 03, 2019
Sins are not equal, to add to the op point, the scripture says the eyes of God is too pure to behold every little sin.
This means some sin are little and some great.
The scripture says all nations shall be blessed through Abraham, should we then say others not of Abraham linage are cursed. Just as we have different level of anointing, blessing, gift, so also is sin.
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by solutionzz: 9:31am On Mar 03, 2019
This is for You
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by hoopLA: 9:32am On Mar 03, 2019
michru:

That's not the point and you know it. The way your conscience react to certain sin shows they are different in its weight but still sin. You still get punished but the punishment is not the same.

Please see Matthew 18:6 for more clarification.
Oga stop trying hard to appear intelligent.

How can the punishment for sin not be the point?
Are you saying some sins would be punished and others wont be?
Please o miss me with this unintelligent approach.

As long as the bible doesn't specify which sin is exempt from punishment and/or death, this position about sins being different is ignorant and downright heretic.

And as for Matt 18.6, lol did you go to school at all?
Did you study things like metaphors and ironies etc?
Dont you understand the context in which that passage was written?
Dont you know that literally speaking Christ was trying to show the importance of children to the kingdom, and not trying to grade one sin over the other?

Oga you're not as intelligent as you want us to believe.

As far as the wages of sin is death (and that there is NO description as to which sins will be punished less than the other), all sin is sin. And sin is from the devil.

1 Like

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by hoopLA: 9:36am On Mar 03, 2019
omojeesu:
The law of sowing and reaping applies here essentially in proportion to the sowing.

But all sins lead to eternal death ultimately.

I am no longer a sinner. I stopped being one the day I gave my life to Christ. I am NOW a saint.

To say you are still a sinner after you have given your life to Jesus is unfortunate.
And that is my point exactly.

You as a Christian should be sin free. If you are sin-free then the issue of which sin is greater wont matter.

The people who are trying to say sins are different are the ones trying to justify their sinful ways when they shouldn't have any business with it in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by Emekus92(m): 9:39am On Mar 03, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The chorus in the mouth of people of today is "judge not". They often make the statement when someone tries to correct them or rebuke them for committing sin. Even those who do not believe in Jesus are always quick to remind Christians that Jesus said we shouldn't judge.

What happened to Ezekiel 18:20?
The soul that sinneth, it shall die
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by hoopLA: 9:42am On Mar 03, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Do they all receive the same punishment from God here on Earth? No.

What you are saying is that God punishes a pencil thief with the same measurement he gives a mass murderer. In conclusion, what you've said is that an earthly judge who sends a mass murderer to death but a pencil thief to 2 months in jail is a better judge than God.

Yes, all die due to sin, but not all receive the same punishement for sin here on Earth.

For those that say all sinners end up in hell regardless of the kind of sin they commit, note that the son they sends people to hell fire is the rejection of Jesus Christ. We that we've accepted Jesus are still sinners, but his blood saves us from the condemnation because we accepted it. But those that rejected that saving blood end up in hell.
Oga if you are truly a Christian this nonsense wont show up.
You wont have any business with sin hence the need to categorize sin as big or small.
Havent you read where we are advised to flee from every appearance of sin?
How then are you getting into the business of which sin is greater?
Or maybe Christ was not ok when he equated looking lusftully at a woman with adultery? You tell me. If lookery as the same as adultery according to Christ himself then your points are baseless

Please abeg spare me. You sound like you are justifying sinful behavior with this write-up.

The end product of sin is eternal damnation. Thats what the scripture says.There is no small or big sin.

3 Likes

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by hoopLA: 9:43am On Mar 03, 2019
Emekus92:

What happened to Ezekiel 18:20?
The soul that sinneth, it shall die

That part doesnt exist in their bible.
You will soon hear that it is in the old testament.

I tell you there are soooo many erroneous teachings in christiandom today. This is one of them.
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by MzTunechi(f): 9:49am On Mar 03, 2019
All unrighteousness is sin
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by hoopLA: 9:57am On Mar 03, 2019
Matthew 5.28
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

If this doesnt tell you that "small" sins are the same as "big" sins then you truly cannot be helped.

If "lookery" is the same as committing adultery then you just wasted our time this fine Sunday morning.

al-Baghdadi come and shut this nuisance of a thread down and let's do something productive this Sunday.
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by nkemakonam100: 9:57am On Mar 03, 2019
Every sin is equal before God. We should pray for his Grace to overcome
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by kimco(m): 10:00am On Mar 03, 2019
So my fellow intellectuals, are we truly saying to ourselves that we believe the book of life records every single sin we commit and weigh it against the good we do? is heaven that petty? they have nothing better to do but to count people's sins. this sounds like the conjuring from the minds of primitive men who didnt know better. when will judgement day befall us then? because from all accounts (third party after life and the bible) there are people already in hell...have their judgement already come? what happened to the dead rising and being judged on that day? seriously, can we not ask ourselves dese questions? and we have, wat satisfying answers did we receive, kindly share.
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by Emekus92(m): 10:01am On Mar 03, 2019
hoopLA:

That part doesnt exist in their bible.
You will soon hear that it is in the old testament.

I tell you there are soooo many erroneous teachings in christiandom today. This is one of them.
That is why the Muslim are always winning bcoz they have one voice and that voice is what they listen to...

We Christian we don't have one voice... Today we are preaching this tomorrow we are preaching against it
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by 12345baba(m): 10:10am On Mar 03, 2019
Nnukwu njo na obere njo! O my Catholic!
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by goodychet: 10:12am On Mar 03, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The chorus in the mouth of people of today is "judge not". They often make the statement when someone tries to correct them or rebuke them for committing sin. Even those who do not believe in Jesus are always quick to remind Christians that Jesus said we shouldn't judge.

Jesus didn't say we shouldn't judge. He said we can judge but gave terms on which we shouldn't judge.

These same people also love to be left alone in their sin because they believe the person rebuking them for it is also a sinner or has his own sins, even though they are quite different from or not as worse as the one being rebuked. According to these people, all sins are equal and the same, so if you are to judge them, better not have any sin at all.

Look brethren, all sins are not equal. Some sins are terrible that they cry up to God. Even Jesus confirms that there are greater sins when he was speaking to Pilate.

John 19:12 KJV
therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.

If all sins are equal, how come Jesus is seen talking about a greater sin? If there's a greater sin, then there's a lesser sin.

Imagine how horrible this world has become whereby a cross-dressing person will bark at you for criticizing him and try to silence you by reminding you of your own sins which might not be the same or as huge as his. Same thing with homosexuals who love to silence their heterosexual critics by reminding them that they fornicate. Are both sins the same? No. One is worse and utterly disgusting, such that when Sodom and Gomorrah engaged in the act, the news reached God in Heaven that he had to come down and see for himself. The sin of homosexuality is so worse that when God sent two angels to Sodom and Gomorrah, the men there tried to rape them. That's why homosexuals are called Sodomites today, which is the appropriate term for them instead of the word gay which means happy.

Now, can I judge another person who commits sin? Yes you can, so long you aren't committing same sin. When Jesus spoke of judging, he gave conditions on which we are not to judge, not that he said we should never judge.

Matthew 7:1-5 King James Version (KJV)
1 [b]Judge not]/b], that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

The first two words which are in bold is where majority stop reading. It is almost like the most memorized verse which they throw at critics of their evil and wicked lifestyle. But was that all what Jesus said? No.

If you read further, you will see that Jesus only stated that we shouldn't judge if we are guilty of what we are passing judgement on. Example is when you are a social drinker but you condemn drunkenness. Look dude, you are both drinkers of alcohol. Or when you have a bad eating habit but you criticize a smoker, you both have a bad habit that you need to quit. That's why Jesus said if you have a plank in your eyes and you are worried about the sawdust in another man's eyes, then you are a hypocrite. You have a serious issue in your life that needs to be dealt with, but you would rather it be left alone whiel you exhaust your energy on a man whose own issue is minor. What makes you think the man's own problem is worse than yours? Deal with your own issue first before you consider his own.

Look at verse 5, it doesn't say after we've removed what's inside our eyes, we should leave the one in our brother's eye alone. It says that's when we can see clearly to remove what's in our brother's eye i.e that's when we can judge.

When you are not guilty of a particular type of sin, you can boldly speak against it. Simply because I smoke doesn't mean I can't speak against a man who dresses like a woman or a woman who dresses like a man, such people whom God says are an abomination to him. Remember that Jesus said if we judge, same standard or measure will be use against us. Now, since I don't cross dress, I am willing to be judged by that standard because I will come out clean. But as a cigarette smoker, I dare not criticize marijuana smokers. Look dude, it's grass we both smoke, just different species. If I dare open my mouth to pass judgement on marijuana smokers, then whatever judgement I passed will be used against me as a cigarette smoker, since we are all smokers.

The bottom line is that never allow anyone talk you down from condemning evil by reminding you of your own sins which aren't the same as the evil you are currently rebuking.
What such evil people want is a lawless land where everyone is left alone to do whatever they like. This is not Sodom and Gomorrah we are in.

Thank you.
Nice one
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by lacum: 10:18am On Mar 03, 2019
omojeesu:

Error!

When you don't know the Bible as you ought and lack the teachings of the Holy Spirit but instead depending on an institution, her interpretations of the Bible and traditions of men.
So people should agree to your own interpretation because you are the one God promised us that He will be with until the end of time. Please listen to the Church and avoid personal interpretation.

1 Like

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by lacum: 10:21am On Mar 03, 2019
I thank God for the Catholic Church. No wonder its said that if you study your Bible very well and led by the Holy Spirit, you will be Led to the truth of the Catholic Church because she is the custodian of the revealed truth.

1 Like

Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by loko50(m): 10:22am On Mar 03, 2019
SpaceAngel:

I asked specific questions not global. Can you give like few examples of those that lead to hell and few that don't? I don't want to assume. I won't mind the actual verses where they are.

I do not understand what you mean by global. If it is by what I think then what you will find in the bible is also global except for the ten commandments. Based on Catholic teachings, sins like murder and adultery can lead to death (soul). There are also sins that do not lead to death.

More examples:
1. A man deliberately stole 1000 naira from a rich man. The rich man did not feel the impact but was disappointed when he found out.
2. A man deliberately stole 1000 naira from an ailing man. The man died because he could not buy his medication

I will leave the rest to common sense.
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by loko50(m): 10:23am On Mar 03, 2019
lacum:
I thank God for the Catholic Church. No wonder its said that if you study your Bible very well and led by the Holy Spirit, you will be Led to the truth of the Catholic Church because she is the custodian of the revealed truth.
You are right. The Catholic Church does not have confusion such as this
Re: Not All Sins Are Equal, Some Are Greater Than Each Other by irynterri(f): 10:28am On Mar 03, 2019
every crime is punishable in the court of law but to different degrees e.g stealing can lead to 2years imprisonment and murder to death by hanging same way all unrighteousness is sin and can all lead to hell but with different consequences and punishment both in hell and on earth e.g Matthew 18:6 says whoever leads a child astray it would be better for a milestone to be tied round his neck and dropped inside an ocean, the bible also talks about the severe punishment awaiting him that will betray Jesus and also we have the sin against the Holy Spirit that cannot be forgiven

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Archbishop Bars Pelosi From Receiving Holy Communion Over Abortion Support / How Were You Able To Quit Your Addiction? / 6 Reasons Sunday School Is Important In Your Christian Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.