Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith (13374 Views)

There Is No Heaven & Hell - Pastor Abosom As He Abandons His Christian Faith / Catholics Mark Ash Wednesday In Black Outfits To Protest Against Insecurity / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Oselu28(f): 10:43am On Mar 06, 2019
My best season in church,mass will close on time. Readings and homily will be based on repentance,forgiveness,almsgiving..
And most importantly there won't be money talks,hopefully grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Arysexy(m): 10:46am On Mar 06, 2019
Jen92:
Catholics,Anglicans, methodists and Presbyterian observe lent as a period of sober reflection on the love of Christ towards us and constantly reminding ourselves from DUST we came, and from DUST we will return. Hence the significance of Ash Wednesday.

During this period, we help the needy, this is just an earthly way of showing the Love of Christ, through Compassion for our fellow humans.

In confirmation we are taught if we dont love our neighbour who we see daily, how much be it God who we haven't seen? Ash Wednesday also reminds us we are dust, and dust would we return.

Finally but not the least as the list is long, to show our love for Christ, we deprive ourselves from things we love. The bible says we are slaves to that which controls us. This period helps addicts to stop habits like drinking, drugs and the likes because is a period of fasting, humility and reflection. Most importantly, reading the word of God.

I hope I was able to clarify the significance of Lent. I find it cowardice for other churches to condemn lent, but celebrate Easter. If you cant suffer with Christ, you want to enjoy with him by eating Chicken on Easter day, yet you cant go through the biblical 40days he fasted in the bible, yet you ask where LENT IS IN THE BIBLE , BUT NOT EASTER? HYPOCRITES. WE LIVE AND DIE IN CHRIST, AS THAT IS OUR GAIN.

You have said it all.

Those asking what lent is and where it is in d Bible, have already printed Easter banners of all powerful night of Resurrection power etc. They celebrate Easter but don't know that without Christ's mortification (Lent) there will be no Easter. Easter is also not in d Bible, yet they rush to celebrate it

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:58am On Mar 06, 2019
Man you are dust and dust you shall return. ....how i wish it will remind some Nigerian politicians that "Man, power doesn't last forever..remember death an come anytime!

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Truefaith: 10:58am On Mar 06, 2019
MYSTICISM is a belief or practice that has no foundation in the Scriptures of Christianity.

The Roman Catholic Church, having rejected the Scriptures of God from its inception in the time of Constantine, has developed so many mystical beliefs, most of them imported directly from occultism and simply 'christianized'.

The ASH mysticism is one of them.

They are DECEIVED DECEIVERS.

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/2016/09/23/are-you-a-catholic/

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Truefaith: 11:01am On Mar 06, 2019
That is from one of the INFALLIBLE popes of the Roman Catholic Church!

How many dead bodies has your rosary raised in the last ten years?

And the rosary, not God, has preserved your health until now?

Your own rosary beads, NOT the Lord Jesus Christ, is the tree of life?

And you can't see you are in idolatry?

"...And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commands all men every where to repent:
Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead." Act 17:30-31

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/2016/09/23/are-you-a-catholic/

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by xtravanganza: 11:14am On Mar 06, 2019
Was born a Roman Catholic and will die a Roman catholic.
Remember to fast this season with a prayer intention and leave the rest to faith.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by kenny714433(m): 11:25am On Mar 06, 2019
Bide ye time oh ye mortals
A day cometh ye life be o'er
Tenlaws of God fulfill;
In perfect love and perfect trust abide.
This mark of ash should remind thee
From dust ye came, unto dust ye return.
So ever mind the law of brotherhood
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part
When ye part, where shall ye findeth thyself?
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 11:25am On Mar 06, 2019
Ijaycool:

Let me save this quote,
So that when you come to beg for money online, because you have leprosy, I will screenshot this send to you, then send you money for your treatment, so that you can understand that we forgive people who the devil uses as tool sometimes.
Lol
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by EdifiedHebrew: 11:25am On Mar 06, 2019
dingbang:
The significance of the ash is to remind us from dust we came, to dust we shall return.

All these are false and satanic doctrines established by the enemies of the most high.

why burning palms with fire ?
palms is a sign of victory
why was it called Ash wednesday?
cross is a symbol of death, the false priests marks death on your foreheads.

Please where can i find this evil doctrine in the bible?

why the disciples of Yahawashi Hamasciach whom you called Jesus Christ did not do Ash wednesday?

Ash wednesday is an abomination to the Most High.

Please the children of Yahawashi Hamasciach don't follow this satanic doctrine.

1TIMOTHY 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (On ASH wednesday, they commanding people to abstain from meats, this is evil doctrine)

MATTHEW 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

2CORINTHIANS 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

DANIEL 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.

27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

28 Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart

REVELATION 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.

10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Slimsly100(f): 11:30am On Mar 06, 2019
freemanbubble:
It has no fuckkkking useful significance

I saw alot of them inside uniben this morning.

Those who engage in it are bunch of hypnotized beings by that low budget asss Moda fuckkking son of a broke asss carpenter called Jesus whose mother was a broke assss prostitute through him the world was completely deceived to believe that there is one imaginary supreme being up in the sky called God

Mercy on this soul oh Lord!!!
Amen
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by AmiJoy(f): 11:36am On Mar 06, 2019
U for look for one mumu name gv God maa now, if u no turn to frog now now... D person wey do u for ur papa and mama no just try at all.. E so un4shunet
freemanbubble:
It has no fuckkkking useful significance

I saw alot of them inside uniben this morning.

Those who engage in it are bunch of hypnotized beings by that low budget asss Moda fuckkking son of a broke asss carpenter called Jesus whose mother was a broke assss prostitute through him the world was completely deceived to believe that there is one imaginary supreme being up in the sky called God
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by EdifiedHebrew: 11:36am On Mar 06, 2019
xtravanganza:
Was born a Roman Catholic and will die a Roman catholic.
Remember to fast this season with a prayer intention and leave the rest to faith.

Not only roman catholic rejected the doctrine of the most high, all sunday doctrines, musliems and other man made doctrines rejected the doctrine of Yahawah Bahasham Yahawashi Hamasciach. they will be completely destroyed when Yahawashi Hamasciach comes back on earth to do heavy damages.

ISAIAH 24: 1 Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof.

2 And it shall be, as with the people, so with the priest; as with the servant, so with his master; as with the maid, so with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with the taker of usury, so with the giver of usury to him.

3 The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly spoiled: for the LORD hath spoken this word.

4 The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish.

5 The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.

6 Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by imurboss: 12:00pm On Mar 06, 2019
EmpresFIDEL:
“Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.” Genesis 3:19.. lord have mercy on us.

The scriptural verse should be Ecclesiastes 3:20.
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 06, 2019
imurboss:

The scriptural verse should be Ecclesiastes 3:20.
the same thing
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by PrincewithGod(m): 12:14pm On Mar 06, 2019
Ash Wednesday signifies nothing. As with other catholic practices and celebrations, it has its roots in paganism, we were not commanded to observe it, neither did the Apostles observe it, it is nowhere mentioned in the Bible. It was not even practised until after a thousand years after the Resurrection of Christ.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by uthlaw: 12:26pm On Mar 06, 2019
Jesus perform so many miracles that's why Christians believe is God or son of God....what about the pastors that perform the same miracle, are they cousins of God!
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by ikorodureporta: 12:35pm On Mar 06, 2019
U enta fp today cheesy
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 06, 2019
ikorodureporta:
U enta fp today cheesy
grin grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Oshi5403(m): 2:51pm On Mar 06, 2019
I've Never Attach Any Importance To Ash Wednesday Because I've Always Being A Protestant.
But After Reading This Epistle,something Struck Me,and That Is "from Dust We Come,and To Dust We Will Return"

THE FOOL GATHERETH WEALTH WITHOUT KNOWING WHO WILL SPEND IT.
VANITY UPON VANITY,ALL IS VANITY

LORD HAVE MERCY

2 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 06, 2019
Oshi5403:
I've Never Attach Any Importance To Ash Wednesday Because I've Always Being A Protestant.
But After Reading This Epistle,something Struck Me,and That Is "from Dust We Come,and To Dust We Will Return"

THE FOOL GATHERETH WEALTH WITHOUT KNOWING WHO WILL SPEND IT.
VANITY UPON VANITY,ALL IS VANITY

LORD HAVE MERCY
Yea that is the significant of ash Wednesday. It is a reminder to all that from dust we were made and to dust we shall return. Jesus made it clear in Mark 8:36 "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul".
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by bloodofthelamb(m): 8:09pm On Mar 06, 2019
dingbang:
The significance of the ash is to remind us from dust we came, to dust we shall return.

I'm from above. Though I'm in the earth, but I am not of the earth. I am of God that is who I am in Christ.
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by dazzlingd(m): 8:37pm On Mar 06, 2019
It's a sign of mumuism
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Oshi5403(m): 10:17pm On Mar 06, 2019
asuustrike1:

Yea that is the significant of ash Wednesday. It is a reminder to all that from dust we were made and to dust we shall return. Jesus made it clear in Mark 8:36 "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul".

This Is Part Of The Vital Teachings That Need To Be Instilled Cogently In The Church.
Dust We Come,dust We Return

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 06, 2019
Oshi5403:

This Is Part Of The Vital Teachings That Need To Be Instilled Cogently In The Church.
Dust We Come,dust We Return
Yes it is unfortunately few churches teaches this. Many Christians are engrossed with the teachings of prosperity and break through messages forgetting that we will die some day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 06, 2019
bloodofthelamb:

I'm from above. Though I'm in the earth, but I am not of the earth. I am of God that is who I am in Christ.
Your soul is of the Lord but your body of the earth. Dust were you made and unto dust shall you return
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by budaatum: 11:30pm On Mar 06, 2019
THE FIRST DAY OF LENT COMMONLY CALLED ASH WEDNESDAY

THE COLLECT
ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, who hatest nothing that thou hast made, and dost forgive the sins of all them that are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we worthily lamenting our sins, and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of thee, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

This Collect is to be read every day in Lent after the Collect appointed for the Day.

FOR THE EPISTLE
Joel 2.12-17

TURN ye even to me, saith the Lord, with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning. And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. Who knoweth if he will return, and repent, and leave a blessing behind him, even a meat-offering and a drink-offering unto the Lord your God? Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts; let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet; let the priests, the ministers of the Lord, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O Lord, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God?

THE GOSPEL
St. Matthew 6.16-21

WHEN ye fast, be not as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face, that thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Church of England
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 07, 2019
EdifiedHebrew:

All these are false and satanic doctrines established by the enemies of the most high.

why burning palms with fire ?
palms is a sign of victory
why was it called Ash wednesday?
cross is a symbol of death, the false priests marks death on your foreheads.

Please where can i find this evil doctrine in the bible?

why the disciples of Yahawashi Hamasciach whom you called Jesus Christ did not do Ash wednesday?

Ash wednesday is an abomination to the Most High.

Please the children of Yahawashi Hamasciach don't follow this satanic doctrine.

1TIMOTHY 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. (On ASH wednesday, they commanding people to abstain from meats, this is evil doctrine)

MATTHEW 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

2CORINTHIANS 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

DANIEL 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end.

27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

28 Hitherto is the end of the matter. As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart

REVELATION 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

7 And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

9 If any man have an ear, let him hear.

10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.

12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,

14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Just couldn't read all this because I hope you dont celebrate Christmas or Easter too?

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Oshi5403(m): 1:45pm On Mar 07, 2019
asuustrike1:

Yes it is unfortunately few churches teaches this. Many Christians are engrossed with the teachings of prosperity and break through messages forgetting that we will die some day

I Believe There Are Still Churches That Teaches This Ardently.But We Need To Make This Teaching Pervasive And Effective Globally.
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 07, 2019
Oshi5403:

I Believe There Are Still Churches That Teaches This Ardently.But We Need To Make This Teaching Pervasive And Effective Globally.
Yes. The messages from the pulpit ought to be balanced not restricted to one area. That is why I so much respect many Orthodox and few Pentecostal churches in Nigeria. I advocate for a balanced message
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by kinem(m): 2:16pm On Mar 07, 2019
Love being a Catholic. And Catholic I will remain till death. smiley
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by EdifiedHebrew: 6:58pm On Mar 07, 2019
Jen92:
Just couldn't read all this because I hope you dont celebrate Christmas or Easter too?

I don't celebrate it because is pagan customs

christmas is for the birth of TARMMUZ
Easter is the feast of Ashtaroth / Ishtar

1 Kings 11:4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.

6 And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.

7 Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.

8 And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.

9 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice,

10 And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded.

11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.

12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son.

13 Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom; but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake which I have chosen.

14 And the LORD stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite: he was of the king's seed in Edom.
Re: The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith by budaatum: 7:39pm On Mar 07, 2019
EdifiedHebrew:

I don't celebrate it because is pagan customs
If you don't mind, do you observe lent?
What's your religion? Church?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Christians/Muslims Get Offended By Atheists / Difference Between Sex And Romance And Is Romance A Sin? / Do Christians Need To Confess Their Sins? See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.