Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Too Yoruba To Be Igbo, Too Igbo To Be Yoruba And The Issue With Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Too Yoruba To Be Igbo, Too Igbo To Be Yoruba And The Issue With Lagos (438 Views)

Lagos Was,is And Will Always Be Yoruba Land. / Service Chiefs’ Appointment: Consider Igbo Too, Yoruba Elders Tell Buhari / An Open Letter To My Brethren In The “south-south” – Donald Ekpo (for Igbo Too) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too Yoruba To Be Igbo, Too Igbo To Be Yoruba And The Issue With Lagos by chrisair101: 7:52pm On Mar 05, 2019
Elections are on and quite naturally here the tribal warlords are out, not like they are ever 'in' but because of the quadrennial exercise they are 'out out', 

#Thread

For this lot, the most potent tool to play politics is not contesting for ideas or reeling out policies, plans, and intentions for which power is sought, it is to actually amplify tribal narratives. This tribal warlords come from all tribes in the land,

From the majority and minority stock, from the 'victor' and 'vanquished' people's, from the 'literate', 'illiterate', 'greedy', and 'powerful' tribes. These warlords range from the belligerent, bellicose, combative ones to the presumably pacific, calm and non-violent ones

I am Igbo, born and bred in Lagos and I obtained my university degree in Jos, Plateau state. I love Lagos and I adore the Jagaban of Borgu, for me he is the biggest political figure in southern Nigeria and I know his political family includes the Yoruba,Hausa,Igbo people,

He has accommodated and nurtured the likes of Ben Akabueze and Joe Igbokwe and to mention but a few irrespective of their 'Igboness'. 
The problem for me right now is that for this particular elections in Jagaban's base in Lagos the hosting Yoruba and their Igbo guest

(because in Nigeria you can be host and guest in your country depending on where you are). 
Some of us, our siblings and relatives are already caught and trapped in this ongoing battle simply because we were born and bred in Lagos. The elections has degenerated to a certain level

The Yoruba needing to teach the Igbo that Lagos is theirs, and any attempt to deny this would lead to loss of properties and lives irrespective of your political school of thought but rather based on your 'Igboness', while my Igbo brothers have also resolved

To prove to the Yoruba that indeed 'Lagos is a no man's land' whatever that means. In all these fever pitched battle cries for each others head the discourse for a better and prosperous state has been relegated to the background the very concept of us being 'Lagosians' is

At least for now meaningless. 
This issue with Lagos is not a strictly Lagos debacle but a Nigerian one, I'd rather stick to Lagos, Lagos is no doubt beautiful and blessed, Lagos could be called 'Canaan' because it flows with milk and honey, Lagos is home for all but

It's not 'A No Man's Land'. 
This elections should be about the candidates and their policies, plans and intentions, the call and resort to whipping up tribal sentiment is the easiest and yet the most dangerous campaign strategy

Especially because it can lead to unimaginable chaos and conflagration. 
For the sake of some of us 'The My Mama Say I Be Ibo', you people should abeg 'CALM DOWN'. 
‌#End
Re: Too Yoruba To Be Igbo, Too Igbo To Be Yoruba And The Issue With Lagos by BoboKush(m): 8:11pm On Mar 05, 2019
I hope they learn
Re: Too Yoruba To Be Igbo, Too Igbo To Be Yoruba And The Issue With Lagos by theFilmtric: 6:08pm On Jun 26, 2021
Re: Too Yoruba To Be Igbo, Too Igbo To Be Yoruba And The Issue With Lagos by theFilmtric: 6:08pm On Jun 26, 2021

(1) (Reply)

1000's Of Youths Match Against Inpunity In Support Of PDP In Kano / “I Won’t Be That Cheap A Senator” – Ifeanyi Ubah Denies Defecting To PDP. / Burial Ceremony In Nigeria Is The Common Factors That Drains Financial Pockets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.