Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,230 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Legal Advice Needed Urgently - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Legal Advice Needed Urgently (713 Views)

Please I Need Legal Advice Concerning Divorce As The Respondent / Legal Advice Needed Please / My Wife Is Adulterous: Advice Needed-long Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legal Advice Needed Urgently by yinkaoke(f): 8:04pm On Mar 10, 2019
House please l need some education here.
I have a brother who was convicted with his colleague for an offence on conspiracy by the state. They both file for appeal thereafter differently by different lawyers at the court of appeal. One of them has just been discharged and acquainted. Now my question is, by virtue of one of them being discharged those it automatically means the other guy who is my friend will also be discharged? As his case is yet to be heard.
I appreciate in advance your responses
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:27pm On Mar 10, 2019
yinkaoke:
House please l need some education here.
I have a brother who was convicted with his colleague for an offence on conspiracy by the state. They both file for appeal thereafter differently by different lawyers at the court of appeal. One of them has just been discharged and acquainted. Now my question is, by virtue of one of them being discharged those it automatically means the other guy who is my friend will also be discharged? As his case is yet to be heard.
I appreciate in advance your responses

absolutely NOT....it just means that the lawyer of that dude was able to convince the jury/state that "his client" (and him only) was not guilty of the charges brought against him.

now it is down to your brother's lawyer to do the same thing.

4 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by yinkaoke(f): 8:55pm On Mar 10, 2019
Thanks a lot for your response. If our lawyer goes the same way of presentation with the lucky discharged friend we should get the same good result
MrBrownJay1:

absolutely NOT....it just means that the lawyer of that dude was able to convince the jury/state that "his client" (and him only) was not guilty of the charges brought against him.

Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:03pm On Mar 10, 2019
yinkaoke:
Thanks a lot for your response. If our lawyer goes the same way of presentation with the lucky discharged friend we should get the same good result

the above is only right IF the evidence against your brother is exactly the same as that man's....
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by TheCongo2: 9:07pm On Mar 10, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

Correct. Even when 2 defendants have a joint trial for the same crime, they may end up receiving 2 different verdicts.

It isn't because one is off the hook that the other person will also be set free.
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by ibkn(m): 9:29pm On Mar 10, 2019
my advice is simple.
if they were accused if the same offence and the evidence led against them is the same. then quickly go to the court that released his colleague, get copies of all documents filed and apply same for your friend. however it is strange for the appeals to have been heard separately
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by oweniwe(m): 9:41pm On Mar 10, 2019
ibkn:
however it is strange for the appeals to have been heard separately

I wonder too why the appeal was done separately. Op can you shed some light on this, please?
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by yinkaoke(f): 3:12pm On Mar 11, 2019
oweniwe:

I wonder too why the appeal was done separately. Op can you shed some light on this, please?
From the inception they used different lawyers although d judgement was given same day. After which each party there after decided to appeal based on pocket, the friend's family was able to get fund earlier for their appeal n did not wait for my brother as we could not get funding for the appeal on time. They were 4. The last 2 guys could not raise money until d appeal window closed.
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by oweniwe(m): 10:04am On Mar 13, 2019
yinkaoke:

From the inception they used different lawyers although d judgement was given same day. After which each party there after decided to appeal based on pocket, the friend's family was able to get fund earlier for their appeal n did not wait for my brother as we could not get funding for the appeal on time. They were 4. The last 2 guys could not raise money until d appeal window closed.

That's sad. I thought the are pro-bono lawyers who will be willing to say least, handle cases for little fee.

Life is more important than money. If your prior are capable, they should pool funds to hire the acquitted friend's lawyer. Your innocent brother's life and well-being is more important than money that will still be spent on other stuffs anyway
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by yinkaoke(f): 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2019
oweniwe:

That's sad. I thought the are pro-bono lawyers who will be willing to say least, handle cases for little fee.

Life is more important than money. If your prior are capable, they should pool funds to hire the acquitted friend's lawyer. Your innocent brother's life and well-being is more important than money that will still be spent on other stuffs anyway

The acquitted guy's lawyer has sent his brief to our lawyer as a guide and we believe we shall win and have victory too in Jesus name.
Re: Legal Advice Needed Urgently by oweniwe(m): 1:24pm On Mar 13, 2019
yinkaoke:

The acquitted guy's lawyer has sent his brief to our lawyer as a guide and we believe we shall win and have victory too in Jesus name.

Amen and amen

(1) (Reply)

Please Vote For My Baby For The Pears Contest / Two Girls Escape Gas Cooker Explosion / Top Nigerian Pastors And Church Founders That Died A Mysterious Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.