Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans (22073 Views)

TECNO Moves To 9th While Apple Slips To 4th In The List Of Top Smartphone Makers / 13 Cheapest Data Plans In Nigeria 2018 (MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9mobile) / Glo Increases Their Data Plans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Randerl: 7:52am On Mar 11, 2019
@Op how much did the networks pay you?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 11, 2019
Kenya has long had the cheapest data bundles on average.Safaricom has the most expensive while Telkom Kenya and Faiba 4G has the cheapest by far.
For example Telkom Weekly 12 GB is 3500 Naira (990 shillings)Daily 1 GB is 300 Naira
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by BanevsJoker(m): 7:53am On Mar 11, 2019
Don't be deceived. This is only because of how weak the Naira is against the Dollar. It's not cheap at all. If you want to know if it's cheap, compare it to each country's minimum wage. What percentage of our salaries is spent on data?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Bbbwings: 7:54am On Mar 11, 2019
GSteve001:
Its nice. Its nice to see us rank well for a good thing for once grin

Contact us for your logos or other graphics design projects. Check signature.
Na headline you dey always read

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 11, 2019
beauty of capitalism...
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by MNDY(m): 7:57am On Mar 11, 2019
Jorussia:
MTN offers 1gb for #500($1.50) for pulse subscribers.

I did not know this until recently. I've been buying it for 1k
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 11, 2019
post=76546264:
Kudos to our service provider!
They rarely disappoint.
ALWAYS on point.

Hey, we won't do free advert for you guys here, contact us for some endorsement.......
If it were the other way round you see them blaming Buhari, but right now kudos to our service providers.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by GSteve001(m): 7:59am On Mar 11, 2019
Bbbwings:

Na headline you dey always read
Yeee grin you're spot on.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 11, 2019
Glo slow glo slow Glo slow glo slow Glo slow glo slow Glo slow glo slow Glo slow glo slow
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Nobody: 8:05am On Mar 11, 2019
pseudonomer:
This is my Internet speed in Germany as of this morning...

So what I am also in Germany tongue tongue tongue

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by stano2(m): 8:05am On Mar 11, 2019
Dareal90s:
So ppl still pay to browse, when me have been browsing unlimitedly since January! Chaii.

If u ar interested message me on WhatsApp joor via +234 703 120 9784.

Not giving it out free of charge anyway, but u can get it for a dime.
continue showing yourself until they block it, others were blocked 2days ago. Better stop this nonsense and keep it to urself.
You are not the only using it
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by tradepunter: 8:08am On Mar 11, 2019
Don't get brain dead of ideas to generate revenue for yourself and to start a business this year.

Join our stock and forex training for just 5k!!! Yes 5k, enough of getting cheated by brokers who charge high fees for trainings and also charge you commission by making you open an account with them.

Training will be held across training centers in Abuja, Ibadan, Ogun and Benin...

For further details call or reach us on whatsapp on.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by TANID(m): 8:09am On Mar 11, 2019
pseudonomer:
This is my Internet speed in Germany as of this morning...

Oh
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by ugees(m): 8:09am On Mar 11, 2019
What sites do you use for streaming football matches?

aywhy93:
As a matter of fact, I'll praise our Service Providers in Nigeria. Nigeria as a whole have so many challenges affecting those ISPs and they still manage to give us amazing data value even though it's slow in some locations. But what I notice is, all network have their superb speed, depending on location.

Presently, I just moved to a new area and the first thing I did as usual was Internet speed test for all the network. After that, I immediately settled for Glo. As much as people complain about Glo, I'm enjoying the network flawlessly in my location, the data is cheap, the speed is awesome. I haven't gone to the viewing center to watch any football match this year. I stream everything on my PC. Arsenal 2 - 0 Man Utd yesterday was streamed A-Z in HD, even those with DSTV missed some of the action cuz of the heavy rainfall.

So, just find the network that's best for you and your location. Data is cheap in Nigeria, Data is Life. Salute to GLO!!!
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Martin0(m): 8:10am On Mar 11, 2019
watchindelta:
20gig here in italy lycamobile newrk, 10eur in Nigeria is 4030naira . wind (offer) netwk 100gig is 10euro so i go for wind here

warri nor dey carry last, guy give me ur control my add you ee
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by titiloyeblog: 8:13am On Mar 11, 2019
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by aywhy93(m): 8:13am On Mar 11, 2019
ugees:
What sites do you use for streaming football matches?

Ripple.is
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by emeejinsm: 8:18am On Mar 11, 2019
Oh man i need this data oo
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by udy4real(m): 8:21am On Mar 11, 2019
Speedyconnect15:
This post shows you have no smattering of economics.
I am shocked because this is elementary .

A bottle of water in Urbana Champaign in the US sells for 1000 naira. Same sells for 200 max here!

Average haircut in NY is about 10k naira!

Same in Nigeria is 200-1000 naira.

Do you now say it's cheaper here?

No! Because money is made there and spent there. The worth of money is in what it can buy!

It's your type that will ask CBN to print money and share so that Nigerians will be rich!

Very true,I was Just thinking of writing the same thing before I read yours

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Ray07(m): 8:21am On Mar 11, 2019
Why are you behaving like a kid . . .
Better remove this thing
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 11, 2019
Who else notice the country with the cheapest plan are highly involved in sexual affairs grin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by mejai(m): 8:25am On Mar 11, 2019
LordAdam16:
I see some commenters putting it down to speed. And while that is a valid concern, there are two other factors in play:

1. Unlike in Nigeria, mobile broadband is not the primary way much of the developed world access the Internet. As any diasporan Nigerian in the Western hemisphere would confirm, broadband (whether wireless or wired) is fixed and connected directly to a user's home. The user then uses a Wi-Fi router to share the connection with all of their devices, from smartphones to IoT devices (smart appliances and the likes).

Fixed broadband allows for insanely fast and relatively cheap internet. This explains why on your phone you'd notice your OS/Manufacturer/Developer notifying you to use Wi-Fi for large OS and file downloads. This is because the infrastructure for fixed broadband is more capable of dealing with immense bandwidth demand than that for mobile broadband (which we are familiar with in Nigeria).

It also explains why they can get unlimited internet with gigabit speeds for less than 100 pops per month on fixed broadband, but most mobile broadband plans have capped plans with much higher costs. And why telephone and cable fixed broadband is often bundled with telephone/cable service, while mobile broadband is bundled with text/calls/internet subscriptions.

2. Relative cost of living. Nigeria's current minimum wage is $50 per month. That's not up to the daily [8 (9am-5pm) hours] minimum wage in much of the Western world.

______

Now the important question is can there be fixed broadband in Nigeria? There are some firms in Nigeria trying to make it happen, but I do not think it is feasible in much of the country. Maybe in affluent neighborhoods of some of the economic powerhouses--Abuja, Lagos, PH. But the economics of scale does not favor piecemeal roll out.

The primary reason is not cost, but security. In one word, vandalism. With the high level of unemployment and sh*t policing, good luck to the company that decides to install the expensive equipment to connect millions of homes. The quoted insurance premium will certainly make any such company take a closer look at their business plan.

Funny enough there are some African countries with widespread fixed broadband, even in West Africa as some diasporans living in African countries will confirm.

Bottom line, the chart does not paint a true picture of the state of Internet cost in the world.

Fun fact: This is also the reason why we have satellite tv providers in Nigeria and no cable tv providers.

-Lord
U will make a gud lecturer.. Simple definition
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by SocialJustice: 8:28am On Mar 11, 2019
We should be number 1 on the list.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by oldman112(m): 8:28am On Mar 11, 2019
Forget that shit bro, there is always a WiFi network out there is only your home gadgets that you spend on, even wifi are used for calls as well but here you know na,
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by ogatboy(m): 8:30am On Mar 11, 2019
NaijaTechGuy:
Normally when it comes to cheap data plans I always tell people that Nigeria is one of the countries with the cheapest data plans in the world and I haven’t been too far from the truth. Take a look at at this graph from Statista.

Nigeria ranks 4th in the list of selected countries with the cheapest data plans.

While a gigabyte of data would set Italian smartphone users back $1.73, the same amount would cost $2.22 in Nigeria, $2.99 in France, $6.66 in the United Kingdom and $6.96 in Germany. Costs are even higher in North America where they average $12.02 in Canada and $12.38 in the United States.

So should we give our Network Providers some accolades for giving us the cheapest data plans in the world?

Nope. Definitely not worth a standing ovation especially if you check the fact that we have one of the slowest 4G speeds in the world.

Nigeria’s top 4G speed is placed between 9.5Mbps and 16.2Mbps, while Algeria’s slowest speed of 2.6Mbps is the worst in the world.

However here’s the plot twist, the country with the slowest 4G speed – Algeria’s top download speed of 16.4Mbps still beat the fastest speeds in Thailand (11.7Mbps), India (14.6Mbps) and Nigeria (16.2Mbps).

Now I feel they only deserve the accolades for constantly zapping our data. Nevertheless I feel ISP’s in Nigeria can definitely do better than this.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2019/03/countries-with-the-cheapest-data.html

I'm sorry because the cost of living was not included. What is mimimum wage in Nigeria compared to the other countries. Data that will not last, is that one cheap??
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Parablesonmarble: 8:33am On Mar 11, 2019
[quote author=LordAdam16 post=76546299]I see some commenters putting it down to speed. And while that is a valid concern, there are two other factors in play:

1. Unlike in Nigeria, mobile broadband is not the primary way much of the developed world access the Internet. As any diasporan Nigerian in the Western hemisphere would confirm, broadband (whether wireless or wired) is fixed and connected directly to a user's home. The user then uses a Wi-Fi router to share the connection with all of their devices, from smartphones to IoT devices (smart appliances and the likes).

Fixed broadband allows for insanely fast and relatively cheap internet. This explains why on your phone you'd notice your OS/Manufacturer/Developer notifying you to use Wi-Fi for large OS and file downloads. This is because the infrastructure for fixed broadband is more capable of dealing with immense bandwidth demand than that for mobile broadband (which we are familiar with in Nigeria).

It also explains why they can get unlimited internet with gigabit speeds for less than 100 pops per month on fixed broadband, but most mobile broadband plans have capped plans with much higher costs. And why telephone and cable fixed broadband is often bundled with telephone/cable service, while mobile broadband is bundled with text/calls/internet subscriptions.

2. Relative cost of living. Nigeria's current minimum wage is $50 per month. That's not up to the daily [8 (9am-5pm) hours] minimum wage in much of the Western world.

______

Now the important question is can there be fixed broadband in Nigeria? There are some firms in Nigeria trying to make it happen, but I do not think it is feasible in much of the country. Maybe in affluent neighborhoods of some of the economic powerhouses--Abuja, Lagos, PH. But the economics of scale does not favor piecemeal roll out.

The primary reason is not cost, but security. In one word, vandalism. With the high level of unemployment and sh*t policing, good luck to the company that decides to install the expensive equipment to connect millions of homes. The quoted insurance premium will certainly make any such company take a closer look at their business plan.

Funny enough there are some African countries with widespread fixed broadband, even in West Africa as some diasporans living in African countries will confirm.

Bottom line, the chart does not paint a true picture of the state of Internet cost in the world.

Fun fact: This is also the reason why we have satellite tv providers in Nigeria and no cable tv providers.

-Lord[

You sound like someone I know, Wakeel. Forgive me if I'm mistaken.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by vezycash(m): 8:42am On Mar 11, 2019
Duplicate
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by lordatkinson07(m): 8:43am On Mar 11, 2019
Even though the data is 4th cheapest in the cheapest in the world, how about the service.
What is the essence of a slow data network and 1gbt data that will not last 2days. Mtchw
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by vezycash(m): 8:43am On Mar 11, 2019
@naijatechguy

Can you make a comparison between a country's mobile data cost and average income?

I.e. Percentage of income used for say 1GB, 10GB, 100GB.

Use this thread for average monthly income: https://www.nairaland.com/3835124/average-salary-monthly-wages-around#57103053
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by daywatcher: 8:51am On Mar 11, 2019
iSage:
Most of the people in European countries don't use Mobile data primarily, it's more of a substitute for Wi-Fi if somehow it's not available. WiFi is available almost everywhere--Schools, train stations, hospitals, restaurants... Just name it. Mobile network is allbeit useless for them.

Talking about the economy, an average man in France will remove 5 dollars with ease compared to an average Nigerian.

spot on
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by SaturnNick(m): 8:53am On Mar 11, 2019
LordAdam16:
I see some commenters putting it down to speed. And while that is a valid concern, there are two other factors in play:

______

-Lord
I could not read everything, but am convinced you were making sense.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Garmin Nigeria Topographical And Street Maps / The Top 8 Budget Smartphones For 2019 / Differences Between GSM Network And CDMA Network.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.