Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,929 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans (22072 Views)

TECNO Moves To 9th While Apple Slips To 4th In The List Of Top Smartphone Makers / 13 Cheapest Data Plans In Nigeria 2018 (MTN, Glo, Airtel, 9mobile) / Glo Increases Their Data Plans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Kobomax(m): 8:56am On Mar 11, 2019
LordAdam16:
I see some commenters putting it down to speed. And while that is a valid concern, there are two other factors in play:

1. Unlike in Nigeria, mobile broadband is not the primary way much of the developed world access the Internet. As any diasporan Nigerian in the Western hemisphere would confirm, broadband (whether wireless or wired) is fixed and connected directly to a user's home. The user then uses a Wi-Fi router to share the connection with all of their devices, from smartphones to IoT devices (smart appliances and the likes).

Fixed broadband allows for insanely fast and relatively cheap internet. This explains why on your phone you'd notice your OS/Manufacturer/Developer notifying you to use Wi-Fi for large OS and file downloads. This is because the infrastructure for fixed broadband is more capable of dealing with immense bandwidth demand than that for mobile broadband (which we are familiar with in Nigeria).

It also explains why they can get unlimited internet with gigabit speeds for less than 100 pops per month on fixed broadband, but most mobile broadband plans have capped plans with much higher costs. And why telephone and cable fixed broadband is often bundled with telephone/cable service, while mobile broadband is bundled with text/calls/internet subscriptions.

2. Relative cost of living. Nigeria's current minimum wage is $50 per month. That's not up to the daily [8 (9am-5pm) hours] minimum wage in much of the Western world.

______

Now the important question is can there be fixed broadband in Nigeria? There are some firms in Nigeria trying to make it happen, but I do not think it is feasible in much of the country. Maybe in affluent neighborhoods of some of the economic powerhouses--Abuja, Lagos, PH. But the economics of scale does not favor piecemeal roll out.

The primary reason is not cost, but security. In one word, vandalism. With the high level of unemployment and sh*t policing, good luck to the company that decides to install the expensive equipment to connect millions of homes. The quoted insurance premium will certainly make any such company take a closer look at their business plan.

Funny enough there are some African countries with widespread fixed broadband, even in West Africa as some diasporans living in African countries will confirm.

Bottom line, the chart does not paint a true picture of the state of Internet cost in the world.

Fun fact: This is also the reason why we have satellite tv providers in Nigeria and no cable tv providers.

-Lord

Two good points. But you forget to mention mb/price ratio. Data may be cheap but the rate at which it is charged by the ISP is a cause for concern. IGB bought at approx $2 doesn't last more than 36hrs for an average internet user (not to mention heavy users). So how do you say it's cheap if this is factored in?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by NaijaTechGuy(m): 9:06am On Mar 11, 2019
vezycash:
@naijatechguy

Can you make a comparison between a country's mobile data cost and average income?

I.e. Percentage of income used for say 1GB, 10GB, 100GB.

Use this thread for average monthly income: https://www.nairaland.com/3835124/average-salary-monthly-wages-around#57103053

Sure.. Will do

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by 3verblazing(m): 9:11am On Mar 11, 2019
Get 1GB for #550
5G for #2600
MTN subscribers only
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by ifeko1214(m): 9:15am On Mar 11, 2019
Speedyconnect15:
This post shows you have no smattering of economics.
I am shocked because this is elementary .

A bottle of water in Urbana Champaign in the US sells for 1000 naira. Same sells for 200 max here!

Average haircut in NY is about 10k naira!

Same in Nigeria is 200-1000 naira.

Do you now say it's cheaper here?

No! Because money is made there and spent there. The worth of money is in what it can buy!

It's your type that will ask CBN to print money and share so that Nigerians will be rich!
Lol.... print and share. But on a serious note, why can't dat be done? Inflation?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by UncleJudax(m): 9:19am On Mar 11, 2019
iSage:
Most of the people in European countries don't use Mobile data primarily, it's more of a substitute for Wi-Fi if somehow it's not available. WiFi is available almost everywhere--Schools, train stations, hospitals, restaurants... Just name it. Mobile network is allbeit useless for them.

Talking about the economy, an average man in France will remove 5 dollars with ease compared to an average Nigerian.
Not far from the truth. I pay 7.99€/month for 1.5 GB. Sometimes I don't even exhaust it.

But the public data/WIFI is capped though. Subscription at home is the main positive.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by JohnnyBling(m): 9:24am On Mar 11, 2019
Cool
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by MountainView: 9:33am On Mar 11, 2019
That's mobile data,you slowpoke.... They make use of WiFi and unlimited bandwidth subscription....Even in the most sophisticated countries mobile data is very expensive.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by pseudonomer: 9:33am On Mar 11, 2019
Jorussia:
Internet speed in Nigeria is below average.But for cost of Data,Nigeria is cheaper than most developed nations

I’m paying 12k Naira every month for unlimited Internet access.... no data cap... no speed drop... I think it’s cheap... In Nigeria, spectranet is like 18k 100GB cap with about 1mbps.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by BoiGrammz: 9:34am On Mar 11, 2019
pseudonomer:
This is my Internet speed in Germany as of this morning...
how can I contact you bro? I need to make enquiries..
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by soke02(m): 9:36am On Mar 11, 2019
Una wan take style increase the price ba? We say no to data price increase in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by akintunde63: 9:38am On Mar 11, 2019
NaijaTechGuy:
Normally when it comes to cheap data plans I always tell people that Nigeria is one of the countries with the cheapest data plans in the world and I haven’t been too far from the truth. Take a look at at this graph from Statista.

Nigeria ranks 4th in the list of selected countries with the cheapest data plans.

While a gigabyte of data would set Italian smartphone users back $1.73, the same amount would cost $2.22 in Nigeria, $2.99 in France, $6.66 in the United Kingdom and $6.96 in Germany. Costs are even higher in North America where they average $12.02 in Canada and $12.38 in the United States.

So should we give our Network Providers some accolades for giving us the cheapest data plans in the world?

Nope. Definitely not worth a standing ovation especially if you check the fact that we have one of the slowest 4G speeds in the world.

Nigeria’s top 4G speed is placed between 9.5Mbps and 16.2Mbps, while Algeria’s slowest speed of 2.6Mbps is the worst in the world.

However here’s the plot twist, the country with the slowest 4G speed – Algeria’s top download speed of 16.4Mbps still beat the fastest speeds in Thailand (11.7Mbps), India (14.6Mbps) and Nigeria (16.2Mbps).

Now I feel they only deserve the accolades for constantly zapping our data. Nevertheless I feel ISP’s in Nigeria can definitely do better than this.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2019/03/countries-with-the-cheapest-data.html

Cheap data alone is not enough, we need good quality also
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Myde4naija(m): 9:51am On Mar 11, 2019
freeman4ever:
f
you SIG really make me smile. Are you serious?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Dareal90s(m): 10:22am On Mar 11, 2019
stano2:
continue showing yourself until they block it, others were blocked 2days ago. Better stop this nonsense and keep it to urself.
You are not the only using it
U must be stupid for this comment of urs, don't quote me again if u wanna live long.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by greenprince(m): 10:31am On Mar 11, 2019
NaijaTechGuy:
Normally when it comes to cheap data plans I always tell people that Nigeria is one of the countries with the cheapest data plans in the world and I haven’t been too far from the truth. Take a look at at this graph from Statista.

Nigeria ranks 4th in the list of selected countries with the cheapest data plans.

While a gigabyte of data would set Italian smartphone users back $1.73, the same amount would cost $2.22 in Nigeria, $2.99 in France, $6.66 in the United Kingdom and $6.96 in Germany. Costs are even higher in North America where they average $12.02 in Canada and $12.38 in the United States.

So should we give our Network Providers some accolades for giving us the cheapest data plans in the world?

Nope. Definitely not worth a standing ovation especially if you check the fact that we have one of the slowest 4G speeds in the world.

Nigeria’s top 4G speed is placed between 9.5Mbps and 16.2Mbps, while Algeria’s slowest speed of 2.6Mbps is the worst in the world.

However here’s the plot twist, the country with the slowest 4G speed – Algeria’s top download speed of 16.4Mbps still beat the fastest speeds in Thailand (11.7Mbps), India (14.6Mbps) and Nigeria (16.2Mbps).

Now I feel they only deserve the accolades for constantly zapping our data. Nevertheless I feel ISP’s in Nigeria can definitely do better than this.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2019/03/countries-with-the-cheapest-data.html

I laugh in German. Look at you guys, have you wondered why two of the world's poorest countries top that list? Your population man.
Mobile data usually thrives when you have poor wireless internet services. Where I stay, I hardly buy mobile data except I want to travel by rail and don't want to be too bored in the train that has poor WIfi.
When there's wireless fast internet service in my school, at home, all my friend's apartments, in the pubs and restaurants, even in the buses and on the street while you walk. Tell me then who will spend on mobile data?
If those guys want to help Nigerians, they should improve service and make WIfi bundles cheaper.

P.S I paid an equivalent of about 12k in Naira for unlimited internet for one full year and it's good enough for me to even stream live football.
Can your MTN beat that? yet the country in question is not even on that list at all

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by KevMitnick: 10:35am On Mar 11, 2019
Speedyconnect15:

A bottle of water in Urbana Champaign in the US sells for 1000 naira. Same sells for 200 max here!

No! Because money is made there and spent there. The worth of money is in what it can buy!

It's your type that will ask CBN to print money and share so that Nigerians will be rich!
Lol... Like idi Amin
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by sowilli: 10:40am On Mar 11, 2019
This is based on pricing and not in relation with the economic status of the country. Many Nigerians don’t spend upto a dollar daily to survive. So internet is a “ cheap luxury” to many. It is cheap, albeit it can’t be afforded. Many of the western countries have free WiFi. They are available every where you go this means they have better infrastructure and modern technologies fiber optics, microwave .. name it.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Kiddovibez(m): 11:21am On Mar 11, 2019
if u dont understand what u just read,come here

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Codes151(m): 11:47am On Mar 11, 2019
How much is 2.99$ in naira?
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by ImaIma1(f): 12:10pm On Mar 11, 2019
Is it measured against our minimum wage.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Rick9(m): 1:00pm On Mar 11, 2019
iSage:
Most of the people in European countries don't use Mobile data primarily, it's more of a substitute for Wi-Fi if somehow it's not available. WiFi is available almost everywhere--Schools, train stations, hospitals, restaurants... Just name it. Mobile network is allbeit useless for them.

Talking about the economy, an average man in France will remove 5 dollars with ease compared to an average Nigerian.
Thank you.

Who is deceiving who. Cheap data my foot
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Lopeztranto(f): 1:30pm On Mar 11, 2019
LordAdam16:
I see some commenters putting it down to speed. And while that is a valid concern, there are two other factors in play:

1. Unlike in Nigeria, mobile broadband is not the primary way much of the developed world access the Internet. As any diasporan Nigerian in the Western hemisphere would confirm, broadband (whether wireless or wired) is fixed and connected directly to a user's home. The user then uses a Wi-Fi router to share the connection with all of their devices, from smartphones to IoT devices (smart appliances and the likes).

Fixed broadband allows for insanely fast and relatively cheap internet. This explains why on your phone you'd notice your OS/Manufacturer/Developer notifying you to use Wi-Fi for large OS and file downloads. This is because the infrastructure for fixed broadband is more capable of dealing with immense bandwidth demand than that for mobile broadband (which we are familiar with in Nigeria).

It also explains why they can get unlimited internet with gigabit speeds for less than 100 pops per month on fixed broadband, but most mobile broadband plans have capped plans with much higher costs. And why telephone and cable fixed broadband is often bundled with telephone/cable service, while mobile broadband is bundled with text/calls/internet subscriptions.

2. Relative cost of living. Nigeria's current minimum wage is $50 per month. That's not up to the daily [8 (9am-5pm) hours] minimum wage in much of the Western world.

______

Now the important question is can there be fixed broadband in Nigeria? There are some firms in Nigeria trying to make it happen, but I do not think it is feasible in much of the country. Maybe in affluent neighborhoods of some of the economic powerhouses--Abuja, Lagos, PH. But the economics of scale does not favor piecemeal roll out.

The primary reason is not cost, but security. In one word, vandalism. With the high level of unemployment and sh*t policing, good luck to the company that decides to install the expensive equipment to connect millions of homes. The quoted insurance premium will certainly make any such company take a closer look at their business plan.

Funny enough there are some African countries with widespread fixed broadband, even in West Africa as some diasporans living in African countries will confirm.

Bottom line, the chart does not paint a true picture of the state of Internet cost in the world.

Fun fact: This is also the reason why we have satellite tv providers in Nigeria and no cable tv providers.

-Lord

Impressive analysis of the subject matter, it's very eye opening I must say.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by LordAdam16: 2:46pm On Mar 11, 2019
Kobomax:

Two good points. But you forget to mention mb/price ratio. Data may be cheap but the rate at which it is charged by the ISP is a cause for concern. IGB bought at approx $2 doesn't last more than 36hrs for an average internet user (not to mention heavy users). So how do you say it's cheap if this is factored in?

I see this debated by folks in Western societies, especially those in the Land of the Free who get shafted by the lack of competition. Speeds are rising rapidly, more use cases are emerging (from connected appliances to streaming games all using more data), yet ISPs are enacting data caps (large but not exactly unlimited anymore). So a 100Mbps would burn through several terabytes if left running at full capacity within days, with a large bill sent to your mail of course.

It's pertinent to say I understand this view point.

However, from a purely capitalistic POV, it's a non-issue. Your consumption habits have little bearing on the economics of a commodity. If 1GB lasts up to 36 hours for you, someone else could stream a 1080p movie and 1GB would barely last 2 hours. The consumption habits may be different, but you get the same 1GB at a specific cost.

If you want to be able to consume more, you should be able to afford more; else you take the natural step to "cut your coat according to your cloth."

It's like prepaid electricity. Everyone gets roughly the same number of KWh units per dollar. If you use a lot of appliances regularly and expectedly consume more electricity. You just have to pay more (buy more units).

Producers always want to make their commercial services affordable. Speeds and caps have continued to rise while cost remains fairly steady. The inexpensiveness (if it is cheap or affordable) of data primarily considers how many people in a sample size can afford it, not how far it'd go during usage.

-Lord

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by stano2(m): 6:57pm On Mar 11, 2019
Dareal90s:

U must be stupid for this comment of urs, don't quote me again if u wanna live long.
grin grin grin keep fooling yourself little one
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by Dareal90s(m): 7:20pm On Mar 11, 2019
stano2:
grin grin grin keep fooling yourself little one
Ur tot coz u ar brain dead. Greedy boy, I'll expose it wella so u can go hang urself.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by stano2(m): 9:13pm On Mar 11, 2019
Dareal90s:

Ur tot coz u ar brain dead. Greedy boy, I'll expose it wella so u can go hang urself.
grin grin grin, you know nothing.
Re: Nigeria Ranked 4th In List Of Selected Countries With The Cheapest Data Plans by sirkonline(m): 6:52am On Mar 13, 2019
Holy shit... u read my mind.
So...little story, i reside in North America. my boi in Nigeria randomly messaged me couple of weeks ago, saying, "u dey enjoy ooo". I asked him why he said that, he responded by sayin dollar is 36,500. i was like okay...what does that mean? he said am reach because its just 100 dollar to "us" people abroad, now am so confused, especially cause this was a random convo from the very start. He added 100 naira cant even buy anything in Nigeria. I was so sad i dont even know how to explain to this guy how money works. Long story short, i had to play along with him cause theres no need explaining that 30-40%of average monthly income is rent, food minimum15%, transportation/car finance/insurance/gas/maitenance 600-700 monthly..so what else is left after that?
Speedyconnect15:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Garmin Nigeria Topographical And Street Maps / The Top 8 Budget Smartphones For 2019 / Differences Between GSM Network And CDMA Network.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.