Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,717 members, 7,820,500 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) (90398 Views)

Photos Of The Collapsed Ebute Metta Building Before Collapse / Oluwo Of Iwo & Femi Osibona At Building Weeks Before Collapse (Photos) / Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Dino98: 9:34am On Mar 14, 2019
ignis:
God...Please save your children

I heard a man wants to kill himself becos throughout last week his 3kids stayed home due to school fees...now this week he went to clear the fees, the children started school and then this happened; they all died.

Just imagine, after running around to clear the children's fees, only for them to resume and die.

He is like, why did this happen?? Even if it wanted to, why not last week?? And why was he even able to find the money?? Cos if he didn't, they might still be alive.

I'm speechless....

3 Likes

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by midnighter(f): 9:35am On Mar 14, 2019
mungoparks:
Some Nigerians can be so foolish, how can the rescue team save the children now, jobless youth, just imagine crowd. undecided

The authorities are supposed to shoo them away from that place and seal it off since it is sensitive to vibration

Many people in this sequence of events are not doing their jobs properly and its causing unnecessary deaths

2 Likes

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by AngelicBeing: 9:35am On Mar 14, 2019
freeze001:
Nigeria shaaaa! angry angry cry cry Like someone said, Nigeria is its own natural disaster. A lot of the tragedies experienced in this cowntry are purely avoidable, man-made, unforced errors that we end up suffering for due to wicked leadership and perpetually compromised regulatory authorities/systems. What a shame!
Gbam, well said, useless shithole jungle sad

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by lakesider(m): 9:36am On Mar 14, 2019
lonelydora:
The foundation of that building is not for 3 storey. Why put kids on the 3rd floor?

Most times, i select the kind of building i enter whenever I'm in Lagos. It's in Lagos you see houses built by great great great grandfathers handed over from generation to generation. Different landlords at different times. They hardly renovate the houses.

RIP to the Innocent kids

In Nigeria.. People just talk because they need to talk. Even the most learned engineer in the world will not make a conclusion without full investigation..

Even the plane that crashed 4months ago is still under investigation with how sufisticared the airline industry is...

Ask yourself, do u really have good sense od judgement
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by omoranmilowo: 9:36am On Mar 14, 2019
It is quite unfortunate. Most of this building are built with substandard materials in Lagos island. RIP
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by BoboKush(m): 9:38am On Mar 14, 2019
Uzee24:
May God save Us from our own self destruction.
Even the other buildings around that place still look sub-standard and could come down anytime soon given the impact of the collasped building to the ground.

And Nigerians can be unreasonable, why stand on the collasped building again? Is it that people do not value their lives?

Will the collapsed building collapse again
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by twinskenny(m): 9:38am On Mar 14, 2019
donstan18:
Why do I have the feelings that the initial plan and foundation of that building was not actually for 3 storey.

You might be right
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by AngelicBeing: 9:38am On Mar 14, 2019
Dino98:

I heard a man wants to kill himself becos throughout last week his 3kids stayed home due to school fees...now this week he went to clear the fees, the children started school and then this happened; they all died.

Just imagine, after running around to clear the children's fees, only for them to resume and die.

He is like, why did this happen?? Even if it wanted to, why not last week?? And why was he even able to find the money?? Cos if he didn't, they might still be alive.

I'm speechless....
Oh my gosh, this life is indeed a mystery, it would have been better not to have been able to pay the school fees for even one year and have all his kids alive than this disaster, this life sef, if only humans can see tomorrow sad

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by themanderon: 9:39am On Mar 14, 2019
I thought Lagos state government once stopped schools from being in residential buildings? Why are we like this in this nation?

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by DMerciful(m): 9:39am On Mar 14, 2019
Resonance causes structures to fail if the natural vibrating frequency of the body or structure is amplified by a close body moving at same frequency. Children tends to move their feet when they are singing nursery rhymes and their general playfulness. Being at the top floor amplifies movement due to distance from the foundation so this could be a reason however I'm not ruling a combination of building weakness and possible resonance. When a building drops miraculously, it's like a microwave energy impacted it.
BoboKush:

Explain further

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Zonto231(m): 9:39am On Mar 14, 2019
What do you expect from a building that has no pillar and looking at all the buildings around the vicinity,it’s obvious they will go down too in a matter of time.when you are in a country with no regulatory body,you can even open a school in a building that was previously used as a poultry farm.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 14, 2019
naijaguy1234:
Someone should lose his job for overturning decision to demolish that building
Just only losing his job? What about going to...

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Vivly(f): 9:40am On Mar 14, 2019
DMerciful:
How can a school be in a top floor building of this nature? Have you heard of resonance and forced vibrations? Children following a particular rhythm can cause resonance!
Explain please
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by ushafe(m): 9:41am On Mar 14, 2019
donstan18:
Why do I have the feelings that the initial plan and foundation of that building was not actually for 3 storey.
Often your feelings is the case of the collapsed buildings
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by loveliveshere: 9:42am On Mar 14, 2019
mungoparks:
Some Nigerians can be so foolish, how can the rescue team save the children now, jobless youth, just imagine crowd. undecided

My thoughts exactly... Why crowd up the place?
Why isn't the place barricaded by authorities?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Miketonia: 9:45am On Mar 14, 2019
chloride6:

Oga, no be any resonance, rhythm and disproportionate collapse cause this one..

Building was weak, finish !
Ur mind is too narrow for the simple physics explanation
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Baselm: 9:46am On Mar 14, 2019
coolestchris:
may their soul rest in peace . .
lemme teach nairaland members as a practicing civil engineer..
this building was built with a design to serve as a residential building but was converted to a school..
the implications is that the live loads has been increased from the designed loads..
that is why the building was cancelled..
so the people who went ahead to allow such conversion of purpose for the building should be brought to book.
in such cases the civil engineer is exonerated

You are right with your assertion,but I believe there is more to the collapse than just an increase in the live loads. if it were just live loads there would be obvious defects in structural members like slabs and beams before the collapse. I suspect a faulty foundation, maybe 1 or 2 extra storeys were added to the initial design or a poorly designed foundation from onset. Only a full investigation can reveal the actual cause of the collapse, but definitely the factor of safety should cater for the live load increase.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by BoboKush(m): 9:52am On Mar 14, 2019
DMerciful:
Resonance causes structures to fail if the natural vibrating frequency of the body or structure is amplified by a close body moving at same frequency. Children tends to move their feet when they are singing nursery rhymes and their general playfulness. Being at the top floor amplifies movement due to distance from the foundation so this could be a reason however I'm not ruling a combination of building weakness and possible resonance. When a building drops miraculously, it's like a microwave energy impacted it.

Thank u

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by anonymuz(m): 9:54am On Mar 14, 2019
donstan18:
you are correct...i can eve see something like a penthouse

2 Likes

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by ugo227(m): 9:54am On Mar 14, 2019
DMerciful:
How can a school be in a top floor building of this nature? Have you heard of resonance and forced vibrations? Children following a particular rhythm can cause resonance!

Resonance has nothing to do with it, it was a substandard job in the first place. No amount of resonance can collapse a properly structured building.

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by coolestchris(m): 9:55am On Mar 14, 2019
henry49:
From a residential building to a school? What's the difference in load? I didn't get it? Elucidate more!
on a school or house, which has the movement of more people
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by coolestchris(m): 9:56am On Mar 14, 2019
Baselm:

You are right with your assertion,but I believe there is more to the collapse than just an increase in the live loads. if it were just live loads there would be obvious defects in structural members like slabs and beams before the collapse. I suspect a faulty foundation, maybe 1 or 2 extra storeys were added to the initial design or a poorly designed foundation from onset. Only a full investigation can reveal the actual cause of the collapse, but definitely the factor of safety should cater for the live load increase.
did u go in to see if there were not defects in the structural members
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by mikky2k2(m): 9:57am On Mar 14, 2019
grin ;DThe other building close to the collapsed one thou.. Is another disaster waiting to happen.. Please lagos state govt should demolish them all

1 Like

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by kay29000(m): 9:58am On Mar 14, 2019
na2016:
That building looks ok but i suspect vibration n resonance effect of the numerous children at the top floor can cause the collaspe. Rest in peace to those we lost.

That's what I suspect too. I remember a couple of years ago when my upstairs neighbor turned his flat into a primary school...the matching of the children (about 30 of them) used to make it feel like the building was gonna collapse. Even though they were little kids, but as you said, resonance and vibration effect can do a lot of damage to the building. The landlady fought them for 2 years before they moved the school. They were claiming they could do anything they wanted with their flat since they paid their rent.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Mike008(m): 9:59am On Mar 14, 2019
What kind of set up is this?
School + Residence + Residence + Creche.

Residential buildings are not supposed to be used for commercial purposes.
Commercial buildings are not approved in residential settings and vice versa, but who cares as long as monetary benefits accrue therefrom.

Albeit the structural deficiency, this disaster could have been mitigated.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by SEGLIZ: 9:59am On Mar 14, 2019
does anyone observe the building next to it? if the chose to demolish this structure our corrupt system would retain (people would tag that government anti-people, the owners will offer bribe, the greed in civil service would demand even if they are offered, those future died as a result systemic failure nothing more.
REST THEIR SOULS.
the Nigeria system is the FUTURE DYING while the PAST KEEP SOURVIVING.
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by MyAkwaibomfoods: 10:00am On Mar 14, 2019
So sad...Rip to the young souls
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Nobody: 10:01am On Mar 14, 2019
coolestchris:
on a school or house, which has the movement of more people
Compare logically: School for kindagarten or little kids vs public residential building with water tanks and electric generator sets!
Re: Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) by Upstream: 10:01am On Mar 14, 2019
Countless predictions/prophecy were released by different clergy men in less than 100days ago n none of them could see this or the Ethiopian plan crash...

Help us oh Lord.
RIP to the departed souls.

Meanwhile if you are one of us, take this for free...

Frankfurt to win inter.

Arsenal Vs Rennes- (Away to score)

Fortuna koln X (Germany League3)

,,,, And make sure u return 4 tastimoni..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Architectural Design At It Best (smart Homese) / Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos / Can 11 Million Naira Build This Kind House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.