Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? (784 Views)

The Dangers Of Being A Prostitute In This Day And Age (Photos) / Dubai Yahoo Boy Who Wants To Marry A Prostitute Meets TB Joshua (Video) / There Is A Logical Fallacy In The Argument That Mary Is The Mother Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by crunchyg: 7:54am On Mar 17, 2019
I asked this because I have searched all the places Mary Magdalene was mentioned in the bible, there is no place you will see her called a prostitute, formal prostiute or associated with anything immoral or prostitution, rather what you will see about her is that seven demons were casted out of her and because of this many believers has linked Mary Magdalene or said she was the unnamed woman who poured costly perfume on Jesus pig and wiped it with her hair without backing this linkage with the scriptures.

So my question is how did we know that the unnamed immoral woman mentioned by Matthew, Luke, John was Mary Magdalene. If you say it because she was delivered of seven demons, then I can show you other women that were delivered of evil spirits too and if you insinuate that she is the same unnamed immoral woman because prostitution brought about the seven demons that was in her I will like you to back up this point with the scriptures because I can still show you people in the bible that never did anything to warrant them being demon possessed, both the ones that got possessed from their infant stage when they couldn't even have done anything to warrant being possessed by demons, so with these examples one can not just insinuate that Mary Magdalene could have become the immoral women that wiped Jesus leg with her oil and hair only because we heard that she was casted of seven demons.
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by orisa37: 8:40am On Mar 17, 2019
The way the Hebrew chased her and hauled stones at her towards Jesus was Hebrew fashion of treating a Prostitute.

1 Like

Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Lukuluku69(m): 8:45am On Mar 17, 2019
crunchyg:
I asked this because I have searched all the places Mary Magdalene was mentioned in the bible, there is no place you will see her called a prostitute, formal prostiute or associated with anything immoral or prostitution, rather what you will see about her is that seven demons were casted out of her and because of this many believers has linked Mary Magdalene or said she was the unnamed woman who poured costly perfume on Jesus pig and wiped it with her hair without backing this linkage with the scriptures.

So my question is how did we know that the unnamed immoral woman mentioned by Matthew, Luke, John was Mary Magdalene. If you say it because she was delivered of seven demons, then I can show you other women that were delivered of evil spirits too and if you insinuate that she is the same unnamed immoral woman because prostitution brought about the seven demons that was in her I will like you to back up this point with the scriptures because I can still show you people in the bible that never did anything to warrant them being demon possessed, both the ones that got possessed from their infant stage when they couldn't even have done anything to warrant being possessed by demons, so with these examples one can not just insinuate that Mary Magdalene could have become the immoral women that wiped Jesus leg with her oil and hair only because we heard that she was casted of seven demons.

Key

Read the Gospel of Barnabas. You will see who really Mary Magdala really was( Mary Magdala= Mary from Magdala). The Book is on the Internet. Download one and read.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Originakalokalo(m): 12:38pm On Mar 17, 2019
Lukuluku69:

Read the Gospel of Barnabas. You will see who really Mary Magdala really was( Mary Magdala= Mary from Magdala). The Book is on the Internet. Download one and read.

Jesus wants to save your life.

Give your life to him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by charlsecy(m): 12:55pm On Mar 17, 2019
The Bible never says anything about Magdalene being a prostitute.
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by crunchyg: 1:39pm On Mar 17, 2019
Lukuluku69:

The topic said where in the bible can we see it and you are telling me about the book of Barnabas. Show me from the bible and not from any sort of book
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by crunchyg: 1:42pm On Mar 17, 2019
charlsecy:
The Bible never says anything about Magdalene being a prostitute.
So why do church people say that the immoral woman that anointed Jesus feet and wiped it with her hair was Mary Magdalene, where did they get that from?
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Lukuluku69(m): 2:02pm On Mar 17, 2019
Originakalokalo:

Jesus wants to save your life.

Give your life to him.

He couldn't even save his own according to your Superstition.
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Lukuluku69(m): 2:07pm On Mar 17, 2019
crunchyg:

The topic said where in the bible can we see it and you are telling me about the book of Barnabas. Show me from the bible and not from any sort of book

Have you ever heard of the Book "Logia"? I guess not. Well it is a book compiled Millennial ago. Therein contains many saying of Jesus not found in the present New Testament but quoted by several Christians writer that lived some 200-300 years after Christ. Even Luke told you that his Gospel was a Research work and John said that if all that Jesus did could be written, ALL the BOOKS of this world can not contain it!

John 21:25 KJV
[25] And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Here you me telling you to go read other accounts about his life you are asking question again.

1 Like

Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by crunchyg: 3:02pm On Mar 17, 2019
Lukuluku69:

Have you ever heard of the Book "Logia"? I guess not. Well it is a book compiled Millennial ago. Therein contains many saying of Jesus not found in the present New Testament but quoted by several Christians writer that lived some 200-300 years after Christ. Even Luke told you that his Gospel was a Research work and John said that if all that Jesus did could be written, ALL the BOOKS of this world can not contain it!

John 21:25 KJV
[25] And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Here you me telling you to go read other accounts about his life you are asking question again.
I am not interested in any other book other than the bible that was why the topic clearly state the obvious
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Lukuluku69(m): 3:09pm On Mar 17, 2019
crunchyg:

I am not interested in any other book other than the bible that was why the topic clearly state the obvious

Ok.
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by chieveboy(m): 3:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
Lukuluku69:

Ok.

Being raised from childhood to believe the Christian Bible (aka Holy Bible) is the only 'holy' book in town is difficult to shake off. Think about this...

The Bible is there, actual gospels of Jesus are there also, but who dares look elsewhere?
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Lukuluku69(m): 3:51pm On Mar 17, 2019
chieveboy:

Being raised from childhood to believe the Christian Bible (aka Holy Bible) is the only 'holy' book in town is difficult to shake off. Think about this...

The Bible is there, actual gospels of Jesus are there also, but who dares look elsewhere?

I get your point bro, and I would probably have believed same, but when other perspectives from different Cultures and Faith, they ought to

at least respect those other views and not cling obstinately to the Jesus is the only way to Heaven.

1 Like

Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Originakalokalo(m): 4:16pm On Mar 17, 2019
Lukuluku69:

He couldn't even save his own according to your Superstition.

Jesus allowed whatever happened to him to come to pass so that he could save you from your sins.... He said this himself.

Everyday sacrifice of animals by the Jews was replaced by a single sacrifice once and for all.

Christians around the world wouldn't have been able to go to Jerusalem everyday for atonement of their sins.

A single sacrifice by the sinless lamb of God took care of sins.

Go and read the book of revelation and see the wrath of God that is coming ....

Are you saved?
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by Lukuluku69(m): 4:44pm On Mar 17, 2019
Originakalokalo:

Jesus allowed whatever happened to him to come to pass so that he could save you from your sins.... He said this himself.

Everyday sacrifice of animals by the Jews was replaced by a single sacrifice once and for all.

Christians around the world wouldn't have been able to go to Jerusalem everyday for atonement of their sins.

A single sacrifice by the sinless lamb of God took care of sins.

Go and read the book of revelation and see the wrath of God that is coming ....

Are you saved?

Lamb of God ko, Crocodile of Satan ni. If I quote Bible for you now that God does not want Sacrifice, you will say I don't know Bible. So, I

won't go there. Only God Himself know how many souls lived before that "sacrifice" 2,000 years ago. So what happens to those that lived

Before that? Yahweh lied to them? Nineveh was saved without any BLOOD Sacrifice. What happens to Millions in Africa before this Superstition

was preached? What? Would they be hanging in a void because according to you, you must believe in that superstition before you can be

saved.

Oga, you get some matter between your ears now, use it. That's why God put it there in the first instance.
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by RandomGuy48: 6:11pm On Mar 17, 2019
The Bible never states Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. This interpretation comes from conflating the sinful woman described in Luke 7:36-50 (her sins are not stated but one interpretation is that she was a prostitute) and Mary Magdalene, who is mentioned shortly afterwards (Luke 8:2) but as a separate individual. Apparently Magdala (her hometown) had a reputation for promiscuity, which no doubt contributed to that.
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by charlsecy(m): 7:18pm On Mar 17, 2019
crunchyg:
So why do church people say that the immoral woman that anointed Jesus feet and wiped it with her hair was Mary Magdalene, where did they get that from?

I had a conversation with a friend weeks ago. I don't really remember what led to it, but we found ourselves discussing the identity of Mary Magdalene.

The friend said Mary Magdalene was a prostitute who later repented.

I disagreed with him. I said, "The Bible never says Magdalene was a prostitute. The Bible only indicates that she had 7 demons driven from her, but never gives any clues whether she was a prostitute or not."

He continued, "She was the adulterous woman who Jesus saved from being stoned, and the woman who poured oil on Jesus' Feet."

I told him, "The Bible never supplies the name(s) of those women. It reads, a certain woman..... Nowhere in the scriptures is Mary Magdalene undeniably referred to as a prostitute."

I read that Pope Gregory the Great, in 1591, said in a homily that "Mary Magdalene, Luke’s unnamed sinner, and Mary of Bethany were, indeed, the same person."

I do not agree with him, because there is no clear Biblical linkages among the women.

It's only in 1969 that the Catholic Church roll back centuries of labeling Mary Magdalene as a prostitute, stating she was distinct from the sinful woman mentioned in Luke.

Well, the sinful unnamed woman was introduced in Luke 7, while Mary Magdalene was introduced in Luke 8. Whether these 2 women were one and same person, the Bible doesn't say.

What the Bible says about Mary Magdalene could be found in Luke 8:1-2 (NIV)

The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out....

There is no scriptural evidence to link Mary Magdalene to the sinful woman in Luke 7:37 who poured oil on the Lord's feet and the adulterous woman saved by the Lord in John 8:1-11.

Mary Magdalene is definitely an important figure in Christianity, witnessing most of the events surrounding Trial and Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ. In fact, she announced Resurrection to the disciples (John 20:11-18).
Re: Please Where Did The Bible Say That Mary Magdalene Was A Prostitute? by crunchyg: 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2019
RandomGuy48:
The Bible never states Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. This interpretation comes from conflating the sinful woman described in Luke 7:36-50 (her sins are not stated but one interpretation is that she was a prostitute) and Mary Magdalene, who is mentioned shortly afterwards (Luke 8:2) but as a separate individual. Apparently Magdala (her hometown) had a reputation for promiscuity, which no doubt contributed to that.
that her howm time is known for promiscuity is not a reason to say she is the one being referee to because in that town you can still see righteous people there, so coming from a home town known for promiscuity doesn't make everyone there promiscuous

(1) (Reply)

Mohammed & Slavery In Islam / Winners Chapel Gives Church Goers Who Dressed Inappropriately, Maternity Gowns / Hip-hop Star Jay-z Claims Jesus Was Invented To Control Dumb People, While Smart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.