Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) (60691 Views)

Babawande Afolabi Launches Green Africa Airline, Acquires New Airplanes (Photos) / Two Airplanes Collide At Lagos Airport / FAAN Releases Lists Of Prohibited Items For Passengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Adesina12: 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2019
TheBlessedMAN:
As usual, Explorer has done it again. Giving us informative and educative topics like no man's business. Thanks boss. I cork my gun for you sir.
Pls don't shoot ooo

1 Like

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by midnighter(f): 8:59pm On Mar 17, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
Taaaaa!!! I was thinking you landed on rocks, water or something...gringrin

True!!! I wish aviation technology experts would do something about it

Lol Jesus should protect me against such a dream, please
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 17, 2019
lefulefu:
Even if it was possible to jump out of a plunging commercial airliner with a parachute i no dey jump. I have a phobia for heights.i had prefer to endure d crash and hope 4 d best.

grin grin grin Which best?, wake up and smell the coffee. Death is imminent Bro
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by HERITAGEFASHION(m): 9:05pm On Mar 17, 2019
Beautiful Piece Of Information. Thumbs Up
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by DanDeeBoss(m): 9:09pm On Mar 17, 2019
midnighter:

Lol Jesus should protect me against such a dream, please
Amen!!! Na joke cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by mrkings84(m): 9:13pm On Mar 17, 2019
Instead of me to land in sharks or lions den make I kukuma get crashed along with the plane.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by postemail: 9:18pm On Mar 17, 2019
GloryIsaac:

I doubt that there can be a full-plane parachute because of the Jet engines. In such a situation, the engines are usually smoking already, so an explosion is imminent.
Secondly, the parachute doesn't guarantee smooth landing, it only guarantees a landing that won't cost human lives. Coupled with the fact that most of the time, the plane tires refuse to deploy.
So, a full-plane parachute landing isn't viable because the engines are at a great risk of exploding, and even if they don't, the not-so-smooth parachute landing will most likely trigger it.

As per the Ethiopian and Lion Air, there were no smoky engines. It was rather a case of autopilot gone rouge. In this instance don't you think, with engines turned off, a deployable parachute will do the trick of bringing them(passengers & crew) safely down despite the bumps of landing?

Engines on fire? Well, they could rig up a mechanism that could eject the engines; since they already have a mechanism to dump out fuel.

What do you think?
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2019
Explorers:
Airline passengers have no parachute training.

What you have on every commercial plane are people who have never used or seen a parachute in their lives.

Without a minimum of training, most people would not even be able to strap the parachute on correctly, never mind open it and land safely.

Even on the ground and with plenty of time this is not easy.

In the confined space of an airliner and in a high-stress situation/commotion, it would be even more difficult.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by walosky(m): 9:27pm On Mar 17, 2019
Smily202:

What about the pilot?

Na to find him way like Dangote trailer drivers
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by midnighter(f): 9:34pm On Mar 17, 2019
DanDeeBoss:
Amen!!! Na joke cheesycheesy

Lol wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by kaylo31(m): 9:39pm On Mar 17, 2019
Funny how some pple think that no one has ever considered putting parachutes on an airplane, believe me, the cons outweigh the pros, thats why the idea has not been implemented. Aircraft designers and authorities concerned with aviation safety are aware of this. The only solution for now is to increasingly clamp down on maintenance practices and pilots training and retraining. God help us all
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Nobody: 9:49pm On Mar 17, 2019
postemail:

As per the Ethiopian and Lion Air, there were no smoky engines. It was rather a case of autopilot gone rouge. In this instance don't you think, with engines turned off, a deployable parachute will do the trick of bringing them(passengers & crew) safely down despite the bumps of landing?

Engines on fire? Well, they could rig up a mechanism that could eject the engines; since they already have a mechanism to dump out fuel.

What do you think?

I think they'll be looking to cut costs by all means so the extras of saving the whole plane and ejecting the engines will most likely not be accepted as per cost.
If they're to make multiple large chutes that can hold the full plane, the cost of air travel will increase drastically because maintenance also has to be done occasionally.
Another thing is balance, it will be easier achieving balance free falling with the passenger cabin than the whole plane.
The aim is to save lives, but airlines will also want to cut as much costs as possible while doing it.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by dnawah(m): 9:55pm On Mar 17, 2019
TheBlessedMAN:
As usual, Explorer has done it again. Giving us informative and educative topics like no man's business. Thanks boss. I cork my gun for you sir.
i beg point am up.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by WilsonGideon1: 9:57pm On Mar 17, 2019
Personally I think is not a bad idea to have passengers parachute in a commercial plane,at least to be use as a last resort in case of crash, no matter the disadvantages, it may save one or two lives.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Starke(m): 10:18pm On Mar 17, 2019
Explorers:

What you have on every commercial plane are people who have never used or seen a parachute in their lives.

Without a minimum of training, most people would not even be able to strap the parachute on correctly, never mind open it and land safely.

In the confined space of an airliner and in a high-stress situation/commotion, it would be even more difficult.
Erudite!
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by fuckboys: 10:29pm On Mar 17, 2019
musicwriter:
Parachute should be build into the airplane itself. If those robots could go to mars and have a safe landing, there's no reason we should still be talking about plane crash here on earth. An airplane should be a giant flying parachute. Unfortunately, the manufacturers are more interested in profit instead of safety.
you know how many tonnes a commercial airplane weighs? grin

How gigantic and strong will the parachute be to hold a speeding plane with the weight of a 3 storey building? grin

I get you point and it's kinda creative but it's a difficult task and expensive
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Idoko619(m): 10:46pm On Mar 17, 2019
Explorers:

Last resort how?

Did you read the parachuting is pre-planned?

They plan when, where, and how they jump before going airborne.

There is max speed/height when parachuting and this can only happen when a plane is in a good or normal working condition.

To have a plane where passenger can jump, there must be ramp at the back just like the military and cargo planes.

When there's emergency at about 30,000ft, then the crew will ask all passengers, over 200 to pick up their parachutes/gears including passengers with toddlers/babies, and the old.

After that, they will ask them to be on a single file and move to the rear end of the plane.

Then they start jumping, where's the landing sport? Ocean, Desert, Jungle, thousands of miles to civilization.

Think about rescue operation, picking up over 200 people scattered in the sea, desert or jungle.

Person go just land for whr lions the do family meeting.
Can't even think of it

1 Like

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by kernniejay(m): 10:47pm On Mar 17, 2019
Another reason parachute may not work with passenger airplanes is that once the door is opened and the outside air gets into the cabin, the plane will lose balance and the wind will be blowing passengers up and down in the plane and some may be blown outside.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by JMystique(m): 12:23am On Mar 18, 2019
Main problem is how to open up a speeding plane at high altitude for the people to even get out safely even if they had a parachute.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by sugah: 1:10am On Mar 18, 2019
papaejima1:

There's nothing too difficult implementing a parachute system within commercial airlines. All these excuses you hear are just what they are, excuses! And it all boils down to economy.

Now let me explain.
Every aircraft seat is already a flotation device in case of a crash into the sea. In the event of an emergency, oxygen masks automatically drop for passengers to use too. Now, to get this system to work, a parachute is installed at the bottom of the seat complete with altimeter, a beacon and barometer which automatically connect to a GPS satellite.

The plane has a cargo hold which can be modified to act as a slide ramp or escape chute.

When the emergency arises, the time passengers take to wear oxygen masks can also be used to strap on the extra shoulder harnesses that indirectly acts as seat belts. The floor is opened from within the craft to connect the cargo hold, and the external chute is opened. Each passenger slides into the hold and out the chute. The altimeter, barometer and beacon are automatically activated by the pilot from the cockpit before the evacuation.

The parachute deploys automatically at the right altitude based on GPS readings.

The passengers need not even know a thing about controlling it. They simply land safely, that's all that matters, then search and rescue home in on their beacons to locate them.

Even if they fall into the sea, the flotation devise still keeps them afloat until rescue comes.

This is just one scenario. I could give you more based on dedicated escape pods that can carry 10 persons apiece. The important thing isn't the cost, it is to save lives. The dead count no costs.

Also, the argument about height/altitude is nonsense. Aircrafts don't crash at 30,000 feet! They crash on the ground! Every aircraft must fall to a safe altitude for people to jump out before getting to the ground no matter how high it flies.

It is simple to offer it as an option, just like you do for first class and business class etc. Or A/C and Non A/C buses in road transport. Those who want can take such aircrafts, those who don't want can fly normal if they so desire.

Very salient points, however there are some grey areas that should be looked at.

Every aircraft seat is already a flotation device in case of a crash into the sea. In the event of an emergency, oxygen masks automatically drop for passengers to use too. Now, to get this system to work, a parachute is installed at the bottom of the seat complete with altimeter, a beacon and barometer which automatically connect to a GPS satellite.
Routine maintenance checks of the altimeter, locator beacon and barometer would increase running costs.

The plane has a cargo hold which can be modified to act as a slide ramp or escape chute.
We are only assuming a horizontal and stable trajectory of the airplane. What happens when the aircraft is in a nosedive? How would the ramp work?
Airplanes are pressurized and the doors are made such that they cannot open in flight..... even if we decide to keep the cargo bay unpressurized the pressure differential between the cabin and cargo would hurt the passengers prior to the evacuation.

When the emergency arises, the time passengers take to wear oxygen masks can also be used to strap on the extra shoulder harnesses that indirectly acts as seat belts. The floor is opened from within the craft to connect the cargo hold, and the external chute is opened. Each passenger slides into the hold and out the chute. The altimeter, barometer and beacon are automatically activated by the pilot from the cockpit before the evacuation.
Except for a structural damage or midair collisions, the pilots do not just resign and wait for the aircraft to crash, so they don't start planning to evacuate immediately a problem presents itself without troubleshooting. So even a seemingly simple on paper evacuation still requires planning and briefing.
In your design, what happens to the cargo when the cargo hold opens up and turns to a ramp? We wouldn't want the cargo causing harm to people on the ground.

Even if they fall into the sea, the flotation devise still keeps them afloat until rescue comes.
Hopefully they don't land in subzero water and die of hypothermia

Also, the argument about height/altitude is nonsense. Aircrafts don't crash at 30,000 feet! They crash on the ground! Every aircraft must fall to a safe altitude for people to jump out before getting to the ground no matter how high it flies.
This is more complicated than you think.
Let's say a 777 carrying 350 passengers requires evacuation. How long do you think it would take to safely evacuate all passengers before the aircraft plummets to the ground? Cabin crews are trained to evacuate passengers in 3mins I think. And let's assume the aircraft is falling at 4000ft/min and falling to sea level 0ft. It means the evacuation needs to start above 12000ft. At that altitude, the passengers would still require oxygen so I guess they'd need to carry portable oxygen bottles too?

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by gr8minds: 1:22am On Mar 18, 2019
Wow! So many intelligent people in here’s
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by pacespot(m): 4:53am On Mar 18, 2019
GloryIsaac:

I doubt that there can be a full-plane parachute because of the Jet engines. In such a situation, the engines are usually smoking already, so an explosion is imminent.
Secondly, the parachute doesn't guarantee smooth landing, it only guarantees a landing that won't cost human lives. Coupled with the fact that most of the time, the plane tires refuse to deploy.
So, a full-plane parachute landing isn't viable because the engines are at a great risk of exploding, and even if they don't, the not-so-smooth parachute landing will most likely trigger it.

you seem to be well informed on this topic, even the engine explosion or fuselage disruption can adversely and fatally destabilize the "whole plane" parachute on the air and prevent the plane from landing safely.

the best solution is that detachable passenger cabin that is mounted with parachute. I will even suggest a dividable cabin where the cabin will split into three or four in the air after it has detached from the airplane, with each cabin having its own parachute, because I don't think there is a parachute that can safely land over 120 passengers on an airplane.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by BetPro122(m): 4:55am On Mar 18, 2019
You see why I always prefer to use keke maruwa whenever I'm traveling overseas
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by femi4: 5:23am On Mar 18, 2019
Explorers:

Its like saying cars should not have fire extinguisher cos people don't know how to use it
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by henryhemon(m): 5:43am On Mar 18, 2019
GloryIsaac:
Basically, it's clear that parachute for each passenger won't happen, the reasons are too much as you've rightly explained.

I saw an explanatory video about a new type of plane that would be designed to have some sort of demarcation between the passenger cabin and the cockpit. It will be able to detach from the cockpit and the wings in an emergency situation and engage in a free fall for a little time before two very large parachutes are automatically deployed to give It balance and drastically reduce it's impact on the ground or water. Also it will have large floaters deployed below it that can land on the ground and on water.
But, the challenge with this plane is if there'll be strong maintenance on the hooks that will hold the body of the plane to the cockpit and its wings, and an avoidance of a situation where the hooks fail to detach from the cockpit and wings.

modified

For the sake of multiple concerns about the lives of the pilots, it should be made clear that they are expected to evacuate the cockpit before detachment. It could be by ejection or most likely having to join the passenger cabin before hitting 'detach'.

So, to any pilot reading this, your life also matters, no one is leaving you behind. wink

Sincerely there has to be a way out to save lives of those onboard aircrafts or there will be flyers apathy. So I'm guessing most times it's the wings and the impact of the landing that causes planes to light up in flames because of the impact.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Explorers(m): 6:14am On Mar 18, 2019
femi4:
Its like saying cars should not have fire extinguisher cos people don't know how to use it

Lol.....
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by eljay99: 6:22am On Mar 18, 2019
kaylo31:
Funny how some pple think that no one has ever considered putting parachutes on an airplane, believe me, the cons outweigh the pros, thats why the idea has not been implemented. Aircraft designers and authorities concerned with aviation safety are aware of this. The only solution for now is to increasingly clamp down on maintenance practices and pilots training and retraining. God help us all

You said it all! As someone in the industry, i know It's easy to blame manufacturers, but there are limitations to these kinda things. Plus people need to remember one thing: aviation is a business, no one will pay lots of extra cash to carry safety equipment they might never use. Safety unfortunately isn't number 1 priority, it's profit. Hehehe. Money is still at the root. It'll be hard to implement change that doesn't bring direct profit.

The new B737 max aircraft that crashed twice in the last 5 months is a modified version of the original 737 that will be more efficient and cost effective for airlines to operate. But with every new machine, there're new issues that we learn only with time and experience. But the cost here is too great, lives have been lost.

We just need to up the safety standards. In 2017 there wasn't a single commercial plane crash. Zero deaths. And We can do it again. With high maintenance, the chance of a crash is so small if not zero. Still the safest means of transport.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by boyjo: 6:47am On Mar 18, 2019
verifiablefacts:

but do passengers have dying training? the parachute should have been a last resort kinda.

No mind them!
If not that I have read that parachute for a whole plane is already being considered, I for answer am this morning.
It still doesn`t answer why parachute is not a way out.

Lazy reasons!

SOME Oyinbo don talk say this na the reason wey them no dey do am, you don conclude say this na the reason e no dey possible.
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by Sportwin(m): 7:26am On Mar 18, 2019
verifiablefacts:

but do passengers have dying training? the parachute should have been a last resort kinda.

Wow
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by TruthHurts100: 8:18am On Mar 18, 2019
Smily202:
Nice info from Explorer. The only solution to saving lives during crash is to install the plane with Whole Plane Parachutes that's the only way It May Save Lives It's work in progress and the practice has already been done in smaller planes that carried 5 passengers. So they wanna replicate it on bigger commercial planes that carry over 200 people on board.

Why carry over 200 people on board?

Why not peg it at at most 50?
Re: Reason Commercial Airplanes Dont Have Parachutes Onboard For Passengers(Pics) by johnaruson(m): 8:54am On Mar 18, 2019
No body can jump out from 40 thousand feet successfully without proper training and survive it. You may also just to a bad terrain that may be impossible to locate you and rescue. The entire Flight 370 has not been found, let alone one individual
MajorJeffery:
It's a fact based on plane accident history. Once an airplane is at a cruising altitude, chances of accident is near zero and even if there's an incident, there will be enough time for recovery. This is why take offs and landings must be executed done manually without the help of auto pilot.

Parachutes can kill too if used without proper training. First time, I so struggled with it that I had to cut it loose with my knife before landing and got injured. Also if used in the commercial airliner, midair collisions when hundreds of people jump out of an ill-fated jet will be another source of worry. It's just an impossible venture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Checkout The Aerial View Of Lagos Island During The Day And Night (photos) / Food Aero Airline Served A Passenger While Travelling From Lagos-Port Harcourt / How People In Nigeria See Their Brothers Living Overseas (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.