Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,466 members, 7,826,773 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Awolowo And The Igbos. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo And The Igbos. (4523 Views)

Tinubu's Mother, Abibatu Magaji Campaigning For Awolowo And Jakande In 1979 / Jide Awolowo And Jibola Ajayi Among Osinbajo's 35 Aides Sacked By Buhari / Nnamdi Azikiwe & Obafemi Awolowo And Their Cars (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 20, 2019
gidgiddy:

So while Igbo were fighting for their freedom and independence, which is the most honorable thing anyone can fight for, Yorubas were slipping tea as the North turned them into slaves

To this day, Yorubas are still begging the North for restructuring. You Yoruba are begging the North to allow you control the resources of your own land inside Nigeria

That's the difference between an Igbo man and a Yoruba man

An Igbo man like Ojukwu will not go down without a fight

A Yoruba man like Awolowo will not only go down long before the fight, he will even be proud of that act of cowardice

Yorubas are the only people I know who celebrate their slavery to the North just like Awolowo did.

Can you tell me what you mean by fighting for freedom? Who enslaved you? Your inferiority complex is so alarming. It's inborn. I will like you to explain what you mean by slavery. I will wait your explanation.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by Kagd10: 12:25pm On Mar 20, 2019
gidgiddy:

So while Igbo were fighting for their freedom and independence, which is the most honorable thing anyone can fight for, Yorubas were slipping tea as the North turned them into slaves

To this day, Yorubas are still begging the North for restructuring. You Yoruba are begging the North to allow you control the resources of your own land inside Nigeria

That's the difference between an Igbo man and a Yoruba man

An Igbo man like Ojukwu will not go down without a fight

A Yoruba man like Awolowo will not only go down long before the fight, he will even be proud of that act of cowardice

Yorubas are the only people I know who celebrate their slavery to the North just like Awolowo did.

Lmao. Ibos were fighting so as not to become extinct group because they were endangered species. It was a survival war after your atrocities came back to hunt you while the Yoruba were just sipping their tea until you brought your accursed war to the SW and the Midwest because you had wanted to drag us into your accursed war but we treated your fvck up.

It's the Ibos who were slaves, still are slaves and will ever be. Sink that into your skull.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by gidgiddy: 6:28pm On Mar 20, 2019
schoolboij:

Can you tell me what you mean by fighting for freedom? Who enslaved you? Your inferiority complex is so alarming. It's inborn. I will like you to explain what you mean by slavery. I will wait your explanation.

Whenever you enter a union, but cannot leave that union at will, you are a prisoner. If Igbos want to leave Nigeria, it is not for Nigeria to be fighting a war that Igbos must remain in Nigeria, it is for Nigeria to go to the negotiating table or conduct a referendum

But in terms of the topic, Igbos were accused of conducting the first coup. The Northerners retaliated with their own coup 6 months later. But it did not stop there, over 50,000 easterners, men women and children were massacred all over Nigeria and millions fled home. Back in the East the angry Igbo asked the Military Governor of the East, Ojukwu, to declare the Eastern Region a separate country since the federal government was doing nothing to stop the killings.

Ojukwu told them that secession was only last resort and that the Government of Gowon had to be given a chance. Gowon and Ojukwu met in Aburi. Ghana, where they deliberated and agreed to a 12 point agreement called the Aburi agreement. In return for keeping to the agreement, the Eastern Region would recognise the government of Gowon and stay in Nigeria

Gowon returned to Nigeria and broke the agreement. Ojukwu was faced with only two choices, accept the will of the North or to fight for the freedom of his people from Nigeria

Ojukwu fought for the freedom of his people from Northern controlled Nigeria. He may not have succeeded but the fact that even attempted is worthy of praise for freedom is an honourable thing to fight for

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by Biodun556(m): 6:51pm On Mar 20, 2019
zlantanfan:
Speaking on a neutral view, I believe ojukwu could have waited a bit and get the dynamics settled before embarking on the road.

It is even disgusting that he would abandon his people at the war and later come to contest for presidency of Nigeria.

What happened to definite policy and ideology? It only shows he was basking in the arrogance of his youth

Its nnamdi KANU all over again, emotions don't win battles.

I am neither a westerner or easterner but i believe ojukwu was right to want out of Nigeria

(even though we may not know the true intent behind it as it was all about himself, saving himself in the war and seeking to rule same Nigeria later on)

He could have at least read the situation well and also be brave to stand in the war

How could some people declare war on their perceived enemy and still be blaming the enemy for not giving them food?

Is Nigerian government not God fearing enough to be supplying food to those who took up arms against them?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by Biodun556(m): 6:55pm On Mar 20, 2019
These were the two things that defeated Ojukwu. And, he reminds me, when you saw Ojukwu’s picture after the war, did he look like someone who wasn't well fed? But he had been taking the food which we sent to civilians, and so we stopped the food. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by rexwalters: 9:18pm On Mar 20, 2019
schoolboij:

Don't mind those e He Goats,useless servants to the Hausa Fulanis,see the way they followed Atiku's shitty ikebe like flies.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by rexwalters: 9:21pm On Mar 20, 2019
Biodun556:

How could some people declare war on their perceived enemy and still be blaming the enemy for not giving them food?

Is Nigerian government not God fearing enough to be supplying food to those who took up arms against them?
Don't mind them,they still have the same attitude till today,they will brag and curse the other party and tribes,then tomorrow they will say they are marginals.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo And The Igbos. by Uchek(m): 5:48pm On Jan 31, 2022
The average Yorubaman and ahistorism. Biafra did not declare war on Nigeria. It was Nigeria that declared war on Biafra.

Biodun556:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Owerri Unknown Gunmen Walking About Freely Today And Shooting - FAKE NEWS !!!! / Cartoon On FFK And Buhari’s Visit To Imo / Anambra Int'l Airport: See What Army Captain Did After He Landed: Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.