Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 (44003 Views)

Governor Akeredolu And Ayodele Adigun In 1976 Vs 2020 (Photos) / How President Buhari Was Welcomed In Anambra / Pictures Of How Atiku Was Welcomed In Ibadan By PDP Supporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by BabaO2: 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
id911:

Obasanjo wouldn't have been swept away. Reason being that both Danjuma and Obj were told about the coup by the British weeks before it happened. Murtala was not trusted by the British because he kept telling them he would like the north to be detached from the south. The British warned him several times that the north would suffer if he did but he didn't give them any assurance. The British didn't want to wake up one day to see that the country is gone. So they had to instigate the army to take him out

I know some people will argue about this but let's leave it at that

Not true. No one knew abiut the coup. After the successful counter coup, obasanjo was sore afraid for his life. Danjuma persuaded obasanjo to stay on as head of state, while he will remain as army chief 3rd in command to confront the high ranking military chiefs including governors etc, he then asked Yaradua to be withdrawn from oversees training in either London or Washington, Yaradua was too far junior to him, obasanjo and other state governors, he was identified as he was the most senior military guy from hausa fulani extraction to appease the lost of another hausa fulani (Murtala), he was subsequently given double promotion and installed as Supreme HQRs, the 2nd in command to obasanjo as it is not a professional but a political post to avoid him coming in contact with senior military guys that were his senior

3 Likes

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by wirinet(m): 4:36pm On Mar 20, 2019
uuzba:

Oyibo thought we are ONE - Nigeria.
They didn't know that each of our tribes hate each other so much, that we are not ONE anything.
Oyibo never thought we were one, they amalgamated the various tribes and North and south for administrative purposes. They gave US the opportunity to separate in the run of to independence and actually left the country in three semi autonomous units, it was the igbos led by zik that locked us into one Nigeria by refusing to inset the secession clause into the constitution and it was the igbo general Ironsi that unified the country with decree 34 of 1966.

7 Likes

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by id911(m): 4:40pm On Mar 20, 2019
BabaO2:

Not true. No one knew abiut the coup. After the successful counter coup, obasanjo was sore afraid for his life. Danjuma persuaded obasanjo to stay on as head of state, while he will remain as army chief 3rd in command to confront the high ranking military chiefs including governors etc, he then asked Yaradua to be withdrawn from oversees training in either London or Washington, Yaradua was too far junior to him, obasanjo and other state governors, he was identified as he was the most senior military guy from hausa fulani extraction to appease the lost of another hausa fulani (Murtala), he was subsequently given double promotion and installed as Supreme HQRs, the 2nd in command to obasanjo as it is not a professional but a political post to avoid him coming in contact with senior military guys that were his senior

I said I don't want to argue about it. I just want to correct one thing you wrote up there. Shehu Yara'dua was not the most senior military guy from Hausa Fulani tribe as at then, Mohammadu Buhari was his senior.

Buhari, commissioned Second Lieutenant 1963.
Sehu Yara'dua was commissioned Second Lieutenant 1964.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by dododawa1: 4:55pm On Mar 20, 2019
One of Nigeria Problem
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by BabaO2: 5:11pm On Mar 20, 2019
id911:

I said I don't want to argue about it. I just want to correct one thing you wrote up there. Shehu Yara'dua was not the most senior military guy from Hausa Fulani tribe as at then, Mohammadu Buhari was his senior.

Buhari, commissioned Second Lieutenant 1963.
Sehu Yara'dua was commissioned Second Lieutenant 1964.

Dont know the politics within. Yaradua was the most senior at that time, he was col and was given double promotion to makeup for the office of supreme headquarters...
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by OmoManU: 5:16pm On Mar 20, 2019
wirinet:

And you have any evidence he looted? I am even yet to hear of any allegations against Danjuma - nationally or internationally.
Now, what do you have to say of General Azubuike Ihejirika? How come you guys have never made noise about him?
So because he was not caught he's not a thief, lol for Nija everyone na saint o until levels casts, get that
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by TheAlchemist: 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2019
id911:

Obasanjo wouldn't have been swept away. Reason being that both Danjuma and Obj were told about the coup by the British weeks before it happened. Murtala was not trusted by the British because he kept telling them he would like the north to be detached from the south. The British warned him several times that the north would suffer if he did but he didn't give them any assurance. The British didn't want to wake up one day to see that the country is gone. So they had to instigate the army to take him out

Yes let's leave as tales by moonlight
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by id911(m): 5:19pm On Mar 20, 2019
BabaO2:

Dont know the politics within. Yaradua was the most senior at that time, he was col and was given double promotion to makeup for the office of supreme headquarters...

The politics was that Obasanjo rejected Buhari as Second in command. Obj told Danjuma he would never accept to be Head of State if Buhari was nominated to be his Deputy but he can give him other appointment. I don't want to use the exact words he used to describe Buhari.

Danjuma had to recalled Shehu from abroad and gave him double promotion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by BabaO2: 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
id911:

The politics was that Obasanjo rejected Bulgari as Second in command. Obj told Danjuma he would never accept to be Head of State if Buhari is nominated to be his Deputy but he can give him other appointment. I don't want to use the exact words he used to describe Buhari.

Danjuma had to recalled Sehu from abroad and gave him double promotion
Ok, i wasn't privy to that. But obasanjo wanted to run under the pretense he was too close to Muritala, but Danjuma alleviated his fears and asked him to continue as the commander in chief of the armed forces
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by SuperIgbo1(m): 5:40pm On Mar 20, 2019
ogbonti:
This is the man who killed his Boss , thrn Head Of State Maj. Gen Johnson Thomas Umunnakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi in cold blood. He was Chief Security Officer to him, so sad the British are honoring him for a job well done 10 years later

It was British expatriate lecturers in Zaria, who incited the Northern masses against the Igbos. During the Araba riots in May/June 1966, the British lecturers conveyed northerners in their private cars to different locations, where the Igbos were hiding.
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by SuperIgbo1(m): 5:48pm On Mar 20, 2019
id911:

Obasanjo knew about the coup yet, he was hiding in a hospital ambulance during the coup.

Obasanjo is just an ordinary opportunist. While TY Danjuma and Babangida were moving troops to quell Dimka's forces, Obasanjo Murtala's deputy, lived in a hospital ambulance
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by id911(m): 5:51pm On Mar 20, 2019
BabaO2:

Ok, i wasn't privy to that. But obasanjo wanted to run under the pretense he was too close to Muritala, but Danjuma alleviated his fears and asked him to continue as the commander in chief of the armed forces

Yeah boss! That's the truth
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by id911(m): 5:53pm On Mar 20, 2019
SuperIgbo1:

Obasanjo knew about the coup yet, he was hiding in a hospital ambulance during the coup.

Obasanjo is just an ordinary opportunist. While TY Danjuma and Babangida were moving troops to quell Dimka's forces, Obasanjo Murtala's deputy, lived in a hospital ambulance

Obj is not what the media portrays him to be, him dey fear die. Danjuma na the real deal
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by Banmeallday: 5:55pm On Mar 20, 2019
Of course he was given this treatment when he is making England billions daily, why wouldn’t they...

Many African army rogues were grandly rewarded for betraying and enslaving their people for colonialist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by SuperIgbo1(m): 5:58pm On Mar 20, 2019
id911:

Obj is not what the media portrays him to be, him dey fear die. Danjuma na the real deal

Every intelligent person knows that Obasanjo is a seasoned coward. He lost 1000 men in one hour during the Biafran war.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by honor4me: 6:25pm On Mar 20, 2019
uuzba:

Oyibo thought we are ONE - Nigeria.
They didn't know that each of our tribes hate each other so much, that we are not ONE anything.
Oyinbo knew Nigeria inside and out. They ruled Nigeria longer than Nigerians have ruled Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by rexwalters: 6:27pm On Mar 20, 2019
tamonokare:
I love the army.
Then you must love General Buhari?
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by tamonokare: 6:32pm On Mar 20, 2019
rexwalters:
Then you must love General Buhari?

Tufiakwa !!
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by PolymathDave(m): 6:47pm On Mar 20, 2019
SuperIgbo1:

It was British expatriate lecturers in Zaria, who incited the Northern masses against the Igbos. During the Araba riots in May/June 1966, the British lecturers conveyed northerners in their private cars to different locations, where the Igbos were hiding.
pls where did u get this info from?
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by fortune1968: 6:47pm On Mar 20, 2019
Angelawhite:
What is Danjuma ? A name of a person , animal , place or thing ?
All of the above .
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by SuperIgbo1(m): 6:50pm On Mar 20, 2019
PolymathDave:
pls where did u get this info from?

Books.
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by PolymathDave(m): 6:59pm On Mar 20, 2019
SuperIgbo1:

Books.
help me with the names.
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by SuperIgbo1(m): 7:10pm On Mar 20, 2019
PolymathDave:
help me with the names.

Brigadier Alexander Madiebo (rtd) - The Nigerian Revolution And The Biafran War. Bradigeir Hilary Njoku (rtd) - A Tragedy Without Heroes.

Both authors served in the Nigerian and Biafran armies as senior officers. They commanded the Biafran army at different times. They were part of the first generation of Nigerian army officers. Both books talk about the events before and during the civil war.

1 Like

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by wirinet(m): 7:15pm On Mar 20, 2019
OmoManU:

So because he was not caught he's not a thief, lol for Nija everyone na saint o until levels casts, get that
So also because you have not been caught, you are not a rapist.
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by Burnavick(m): 7:24pm On Mar 20, 2019
Nigerians: This is d greatest corruption we have ever seen, this democracy of a thing na major scam

Army: Hold my beer •
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by mechanics(m): 7:49pm On Mar 20, 2019
tamonokare:
I love the army.
hahahah, the work is risky o.
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by OmoManU: 8:18pm On Mar 20, 2019
wirinet:

So also because you have not been caught, you are not a rapist.
You see it's better not to answer people like you, we're having a talk about our national lives but see what's coming to your mind, Nigeria is so backwards because of idiots like you

1 Like

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by Pacesetter123(m): 8:40pm On Mar 20, 2019
islandmoon:
Shame on them!!!!!!!!!!
U mean dis are the faces that brought Nigeria to her knees?

1 Like

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by ogbonti: 8:53pm On Mar 20, 2019
wirinet:

What have you to say about the man who killed his own friend Ahmadu Bello in cold blood without any provocation and ordered the killing of his own Boss Brigadier Zakariya Maimalari in a very treacherous manner.
Then what do you say about the man who refused to try the traitors?

If you want to open old wounds, then you too and your people will not be spared.

Shorrop there, what have you to say about the man whose government ordered the trial of a host of opposition AG leaders, and jailed a good number of them with the late sage Chief Awolowo for 10 years without any evidence of treason? Creating caustic reactions in the west by rigging the 1964 regional elections to favor Ladoke Akintola''s UNDP, also declaring a state of emergency in the west thereby imposing a figure head administrator, Dr. Majekodunmi? If you want old wounds to be reopened, I will gladly tell u how the injury that led to the wounds came about....Agbaya!
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by gidgiddy: 9:00pm On Mar 20, 2019
TY Danjuma who should rotting in jail for the murder of Aguiyi Ironsi and FA Fajuyi

1 Like

Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by DerideGull(m): 10:01pm On Mar 20, 2019
id911:

It was more of his stand on apartheid South Africa than disintegration of Nigeria.
Re: How General Danjuma Was Welcomed In London In 1976 by DerideGull(m): 10:01pm On Mar 20, 2019
uuzba:

No tribalism in the army.

Are you a learner?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lilian Onoh Becomes Nigeria’s Ambassador To Namibia (Photos) / Dele Momodu Blasted By Nigerians For Campaigning For Saraki (photos) / Obasanjo Tipped David Umahi As Next Igbo President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.