Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula (5809 Views)

“embrace Whistle-blowing Policy” - EFCC Boss, Magu Urges Nigerians / Corruption Is Killing Nigeria’s Economy – EFCC Boss, Magu / See What EFCC Boss, Magu Did After Hearing Of DSS Boss Daura's Sack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:21am On Mar 22, 2019
that will be better..we need to change the entire school curricula to fit into our national and cultural values....li wish election rigging and ballot box snatching would be included too... :Dthat will be better..we need to change the entire school curricula to fit into our national and cultural values....li wish election rigging and ballot box snatching would be included too...

1 Like

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by JJOF(m): 7:23am On Mar 22, 2019
legendsilver:

I don't expect your comment to gather likes and shares because its of high value to sane minds like us. Try condemn this move by efcc and see how your likes will shoot up.
Thanks for seeing things rightly
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by JJOF(m): 7:26am On Mar 22, 2019
legendsilver:

I don't expect your comment to gather likes and shares because its of high value to sane minds like us. Try condemn this move by efcc and see how your likes will shoot up.
So is it by teaching students that fruad is bad, that they (the students) will stop being fraudsters? Mtchew. Last last make dem allow me grad b4 dem add another stupid GST.
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by JJOF(m): 7:28am On Mar 22, 2019
valentineuwakwe:
that will be better..we need to change the entire school curricula to fit into our national and cultural values....li wish election rigging and ballot box snatching would be included too... :Dthat will be better..we need to change the entire school curricula to fit into our national and cultural values....li wish election rigging and ballot box snatching would be included too...
And how will that help? Abi them no dey teach 4 skol say cultism bad, last last all public uni 4 naija get cultist issue?

1 Like

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by BrutusOj(m): 7:28am On Mar 22, 2019
Arrant nonsense.. undecided this is how the litter our curriculum with irrelevant subjects which deny students the opportunity to pick important subjects that will better their future. What happened to civic education, government, and social studies? Can't they just include a topic on corruption and financial crime in one of them? What else is there to learn in detail about anti-graft or whatsoever?
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by olisaEze(m): 7:42am On Mar 22, 2019
Someone should tell Magu that children learn more from what they see u do, and not really from what u tell them. Our society glorifies corrupt people. Nobody cares how u got ur wealth now, as long as u throw it around occasionally, ure called wise! Our president has still not met the minimum requirement to contest but hey, we’ll celebrate him as a wiseman or else! So why will the youth seeing this believe in the importance of education or the virtues of hardwork? We’re all under the ministry of “labor is good but favor is better”! Lwkmd cheesy Hahaha Anti corruption studies! cheesy Naija and our dumb office holders sef!

1 Like

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by Prozybozz(m): 7:44am On Mar 22, 2019
I dey hustle madly. Alert of #48m. You gonna arrest me? No problem. and im gona waste #8m for your case.

hope i gain?
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:03am On Mar 22, 2019
my school unical de do anti corruption for gss already...so wetin im de talk self...
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by sweetrace(f): 8:12am On Mar 22, 2019
legendsilver:

Lol! Thank you too.
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by TourismMan(m): 8:49am On Mar 22, 2019
SO WHAT ABOUT ANTI-CORRUPTION 1&2 WE HAVE IN OUR 1ST YEAR IN TERTIARY INSTITUTION?
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by nextnear(m): 9:08am On Mar 22, 2019
mrakeli62:

In a bid to stem the tide of cyber crime among youths, especially undergraduates, acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has stressed the need to include anti-corruption studies in the curricula of institutions of higher learning in the country.

Magu, who fielded questions in Hausa during a special programme on Bond 92.9FM, in Lagos, said the commission has opened talks with the National University Commission (NUC) on the possibility of introducing anti-corruption courses in the curricula of higher institutions in the country.

“If we realise that corruption and economic and financial crimes can hinder a nation, then, it is not out of place to introduce this kind of course in our tertiary institutions, as an impetus to our drive to change the narrative on our campuses, as the undergraduates constitute the major actors in Internet crimes.

“By so doing, we would have literally opened the eyes of these students, who will, someday, hold positions of leadership in the affairs of the nation, to the inherent dangers in the vice. And in the end, they will turn out to be crusaders of anti-corruption war, with the nation being the overall beneficiary,” he said.

The anti-graft chief, who was represented by the commission’s Zonal Head in Lagos, Muhammed Rabo, assured that the commission is winning the war against the infamous Yahoo boys

“In fact, Internet fraudsters now know that it is no more business as usual. I can say this with all confidence.

“The clampdown is not only in Lagos; it is across the country, especially as we have now opened more offices,” he said.

He further said as part of efforts to discourage youths from engaging in the criminal practice, thecommission had been carrying out public advocacy and education against the commission of economic and financial crimes.

“We go into secondary schools to educate them about the consequences of crime, while also warning them to shun all forms of criminality, because it will always end in pains and sorrow,” he said.

Magu also described as untrue, the claim by some members of the public, that the commission had been selective in its operations.

He said the commission has always given equal attention to all petitions it received, adding that, “our doors are open to all Nigerians with genuine complaints that can be substantiated in law.

https://www.akelicious.net/2019/03/efcc-boss-magu-wants-inclusion-of-anti.html
both your enemies and friends are studying you.
but what if your enemies understand you 100%, how else do you wanna survive when you have no element of surprise.
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by sweetrace(f): 11:56am On Mar 22, 2019
EzeFund:
Misplaced priority, characteristics of a third world nation.
It's not about introducing anti graft course or whatever. Create jobs and viable business environment. That should be the priority of the Government of the day.

What is third world about teaching ethics in schools? The most expensive private high schools in the US already teach bioethics. This is usually a discussion based class about values in all fields from medicine to politics. We keep complaining about the quality and mindset of those in government as if they are not from this society. The reason why those in government focus more on wealth acquisition than on actual governance is because of not only their wrong values, but that of the Nigerian society. Fix the value system of a community and you'll fix most of its problems.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by sweetrace(f): 12:01pm On Mar 22, 2019
valentineuwakwe:

I agree with most of what you wrote except the cultural values part. Cultural values can differ from community to community which will make it difficult or impossible to have as part of a national curriculum. Ethics taught in schools should be devoid of cultural and religious influence. We have basic human values that can work.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by pavoda: 12:47pm On Mar 22, 2019
Very Lazy Idea! Do you jobs properly and awareness will grow.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by NnamAries: 2:18pm On Mar 22, 2019
Well this is a good step, but not exactly monumental as a few hours of enlightenment will not be enough to deter young people from engaging in this act. The best way to tackle this is to restructure what we know as our educational system, thus including programs that'd give learners the necessary tools to thaw through the modern world in legal, dignified means. What alternative is there for most people anyway?

1 Like

Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by adekolaelect(m): 3:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
midnighter:
I thought they already had something on this in that their SSS (social and security studies?). i saw my cousin with one textbook like that. And CRK, Physical health and all those. all of these subjects are actually beating around the bush because history is not taught until tertiary level. the best lessons are the ones from the past

if the people in power stopped doing it, the children would stop. Where do they think children get those ideas from

maybe its not really what we teach, but how. critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving skills should be a common thread woven through all stages of education. they should be able to weigh information (eg. if doing yahoo will be any good to them, in the long run) in a sensible and well-informed manner.

Not just to go to school and copy lines from a book about "Why Corruption is Not Good". Even the ruling government could write volumes on why its not good yet they still persist in committing atrocities

There are probably a lot of good classroom discussions to be had from the topic, too. Its actually more of a philosophy or ethics class topic. Not a standalone su
you hits the nail on the head but the major problem of fighting corruption in Nigeria is the system of government and Constitution we have .bcs it gives loopholes for corruption to be perpetrated .that is why the present government resulted blackmailing corruption bcs the strength of corruption in the country is overwhelming .
Re: EFCC Boss, Magu, Wants Inclusion Of Anti-graft Studies In School Curricula by midnighter(f): 4:01pm On Mar 22, 2019
adekolaelect:
you hits the nail on the head but the major problem of fighting corruption in Nigeria is the system of government and Constitution we have .bcs it gives loopholes for corruption to be perpetrated .that is why the present government resulted blackmailing corruption bcs the strength of corruption in the country is overwhelming .

I agree with you but i think i goes further than just the system and constitution.

Even developed countries have corruption scandals once in a while. The difference is that they have a well-oiled system of checks and balances, manned by (well-paid! well-fed! valued!) officials to hold people to account

I think the problem is the people (who made the system and who are in control of the system) rather than just the system itself

Something like the "Swiss cheese" model

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

JIME VS. ORTOM Governorship Petition Tribunal: Jime Wins At Appeal Court. / Voting Lp Instead Of PDP Is Going To Cost Us. / FG To Mark Low-Key Independence Day Anniversary - SGF, Akume⁣

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.