Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines (46123 Views)

Easy Ways To Identify Intelligent People / #WinterInOAU: Tension Doused As Police Nab Notorious Cultists / Four Signs To Identify An Intelligent Person (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
ZombieNation:
And this information is useful in what way?
If it we're stories about Tonto Dikeh, Bobrisky, Yvonne Jegede etc....shey it would be useful

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by sojayy(m): 12:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:
my problem is how and when did they install all of the power lines
Someone wish me well please, tomorrow is my marriage and my wife had an accident this morning cry cry cry cry cry

So sorry ! She'll be well soon. The lord is strength bro! Be strong.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by kernniejay(m): 12:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:
Someone wish me well please, tomorrow is my marriage and my wife had an accident this morning cry cry cry cry cry
Ha, sorry o. I wish her quick recovery.
Meanwhile, what are you doing on Nairaland now instead of looking after your fiancee?
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by pacespot(m): 12:35pm On Mar 22, 2019
nice info, thanks
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by banio: 12:51pm On Mar 22, 2019
Do we have power in Nigeria. Hell no

Power that You can't say when, where and why about ?

grin
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by foreshore(m): 12:52pm On Mar 22, 2019
ikorodureporta:
Did you know......

One can touch the 330kv - 420kv and nothing will happen to you.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by mctfopt: 1:04pm On Mar 22, 2019
CrystalMax:
Thanks for sharing!
But we don't use all these voltage levels in Nigeria.
Can you help us with the ones we use in Nigeria too, please? (0.415KV, 11KV, 33KV others seem to be in your earlier post)

The higher voltages 11kv, 33kv are for transmission purposes. We transmit at very high voltages to reduce loss in power and be able to use smaller sized cables. The 0.415KV or 415V is the voltage you get between phase to phase in a three phase system. If you take one phase and a neutral you'd get 230V which we is popularly used in most homes. So most of the three wires you see along the road have 415V in between two phases. Transmitting for very long distances we often use 132KV for that.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by wissenschaften(m): 1:05pm On Mar 22, 2019
CrystalMax:
Thanks for sharing!
But we don't use all these voltage levels in Nigeria.
Can you help us with the ones we use in Nigeria too, please? (0.415KV, 11KV, 33KV others seem to be in your earlier post)
We use 330kv and 135kv for transmission. Stepped down to about 33kv for distribution. Then further stepped down to 415v(3phase) or 220( single phase) for consumption.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 1:10pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:

Cho!
So sorry bro, never give way to despair no matter what, look beyond this challenge into to the brighter future prospect BTW u and ur wife.
It is well with both of you. Happy married life
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by jullary(m): 1:14pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:
so sorry my brother,nothing will happen to her in Jesus name,.it Is well

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by CrystalMax: 1:25pm On Mar 22, 2019
mctfopt:

The higher voltages 11kv, 33kv are for transmission purposes. We transmit at very high voltages to reduce loss in power and be able to use smaller sized cables. The 0.415KV or 415V is the voltage you get between phase to phase in a three phase system. If you take one phase and a neutral you'd get 230V which we is popularly used in most homes. So most of the three wires you see along the road have 415V in between two phases. Transmitting for very long distances we often use 132KV for that.
You are not completely right sir.
Transmission voltage in Nigeria is 330KV or 132KV
Primary Distribution voltage in Nigeria is 33KV and 11KV
Secondary Distribution Voltage in Nigeria is 415V (for 3Phase supply-Industrial use) and 220V (domestic use).
The three conductors you mentioned are usually called "High Tension Lines" or "HV Lines", they carry 33,000Volts or 11,000Volts. They are often times arranged horizontal (though there are cases where they are arranged vertically too). These are called Distribution Feeders.

The Four or Five conductors arranged vertically are usually referred to as Low Tension Lines or "LV Lines" and they are the ones that carry 415V between two phases and 220V between phase and Neutral.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by CrystalMax: 1:27pm On Mar 22, 2019
wissenschaften:
We use 330kv and 135kv for transmission. Stepped down to about 33kv for distribution. Then further stepped down to 415v(3phase) or 220( single phase) for consumption.
It is 132KV sir and not 135KV.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by seguun(m): 1:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
Even as a child I knew those bigger high tensions carry more power than the smaller ones...they should just give us power grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 22, 2019
charliboy654:

The idea behind "taking and bringing" light is about sharing.
As of now Nigeria produces within 5000megawatt of electricity, that's not enough for only Lagos but that's what the whole Nigeria is sharing, it's not possible for 5000megawatt to power the whole of Nigeria so the best thing to do is to share it.

The transformer don't produce electricity, what the transformer do it's only to step up and step down electrical voltage that are available. The reason for this is that after the generating station produce these electricity, they have to transfer it to the transmission company which in turn transfer it to the distribution company. Electrical Resistance increase with distance meaning if these electricity are not step up by the transformer nothing will get to ur house. I hope I was able to explain it well to you.

You don’t get my transformer question. Currently in my area, we do 5 days on, 1 day off. I have strolled around and I have friends around, there’s currently no street with a bad transformer (growing up, you share transformer or light with another street when their transformer is bad). So my question is why do we still have to do a 5 day off, 1 day on schedule?
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 22, 2019
joey150:

The idea behind taking and bringing the light is "rationing", since Nigeria can barely produce enough power to light up the whole nation simultaneously, they have to keep 'sharing' it based on whatever the output of power generated that day is.

In essence, switching off one zone to power another zone and vice versa.

Transformers do not produce power neither do they increase it. Thus, having 30 transformers does not increase power production. Transformers only help to step down high voltage. What most of your appliances use is 220v, but power isn't generated at 220v, but at a much higher voltage (refer to the picture of the thread).

I tried to make it basic. Next time try and Google some of these things bros. Your phone isn't meant for only nairaland you know.

Baba calm down joh. Dey there dey feel like scholar. Google ko, google ni.

You don’t get my transformer question. Currently in my area, we do 5 days on, 1 day off. I have strolled around and I have friends around, there’s currently no street with a bad transformer (growing up, you share transformer or light with another street when their transformer is bad). So my question is why do we still have to do a 5 day off, 1 day on schedule? Since I’m very sure our cluster of streets is one zone, they might as well just “take the light” here and distribute to another zone rather than keep us in the dark for a full day
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by paulverma: 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2019
Santaboris:
I've been suicidal these days, depression is real......
Reason = I feel like I don't fit in where I am, people are so dumb.
Ignore them dumb ppl and try to create ur own activities... biko suicide is not the way out... u cant ve tried all other options.. suicide is permanent so before u even think near there try everyother solution to whatever the problem is... as for not fitting in... just be urself and mind ur biz... remember silence is golden.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by hazvat(f): 1:57pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:
the way you sounded shows it’s a bed accident. May she be healed and your marriage be blessed with fun filled life. HML
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by bmos(m): 2:05pm On Mar 22, 2019
ZombieNation:
And this information is useful in what way?

Those in quest of knowledge will find it useful. Not for dondy or blockheads
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by abiodunfat(f): 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2019
It is well bro.I wish your wife quick recovery in Jesus name.Congratulation in advance.

YoungFr:
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by HighKing01(m): 2:10pm On Mar 22, 2019
Ur mama
SoupNazi:

And you will be the _shit filling the shithole 50 years from now. Instead of you to open your mouth and pray for a better nation, you are there cursing it. #Barbarian
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by uuzba(m): 2:25pm On Mar 22, 2019
Santaboris:
I've been suicidal these days, depression is real......
Reason = I feel like I don't fit in where I am, people are so dumb.
Guy, try to be more prayerful.
TALK with Jesus. I didn't say pray, shout and make noise.
TALK with Jesus same way you are thinking and writing here on social media.
Just do it.
I wish you the best if we ever meet.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by uuzba(m): 2:27pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:

Your "Wedding" is tomorrow.
Your marriage follows after.

All the best and congratulations for you both.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Jolite(m): 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2019
asuustrike1:
Which line goes to the substation,?
Which moves from the generator house?
Why does it take time to restore power after lighting and thunder storm? Some areas is within 1hr while others 2hrs ( both day and night) whereas others till the following day.
From the generation to the transmision to the substation to the distribution finally to consumption.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 22, 2019
uuzba:

Your "Wedding" is tomorrow.
Your marriage follows after.

All the best and congratulations for you both.
abiodunfat:
It is well bro.I wish your wife quick recovery in Jesus name.Congratulation in advance.

hazvat:
the way you sounded shows it’s a bed accident. May she be healed and your marriage be blessed with fun filled life. HML
jullary:
so sorry my brother,nothing will happen to her in Jesus name,.it Is well

NyenwePHC:

Cho!
So sorry bro, never give way to despair no matter what, look beyond this challenge into to the brighter future prospect BTW u and ur wife.
It is well with both of you. Happy married life

kernniejay:

Ha, sorry o. I wish her quick recovery.
Meanwhile, what are you doing on Nairaland now instead of looking after your fiancee?
sojayy:

So sorry ! She'll be well soon. The lord is strength bro! Be strong.
ImaIma1:

All will be well.

Thanks to you all for your concern, celebrating with me and your prayers
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 3:22pm On Mar 22, 2019
Mutemenot:

Call your village people, tell them Amadioha 'll strike whoever that caused your wife accident. Meanwhile, your marriage is blessed. Devil does not attempt anything that's worthless .

cool cool cool
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Adeyeyeaki(m): 3:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
YoungFr:
Sorry dear. I wish her a quick recovery. Devil has failed the battle. You are a winner. Your union is blessed. By this time next year, testimonies will follow.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 22, 2019
Adeyeyeaki:

Sorry dear. I wish her a quick recovery. Devil has failed the battle. You are a winner. Your union is blessed. By this time next year, testimonies will follow.

Thanks so much
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by joey150(m): 3:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
mrAMG2:

Baba calm down joh. Dey there dey feel like scholar. Google ko, google ni.

You don’t get my transformer question. Currently in my area, we do 5 days on, 1 day off. I have strolled around and I have friends around, there’s currently no street with a bad transformer (growing up, you share transformer or light with another street when their transformer is bad). So my question is why do we still have to do a 5 day off, 1 day on schedule? Since I’m very sure our cluster of streets is one zone, they might as well just “take the light” here and distribute to another zone rather than keep us in the dark for a full day
For the whole 'five days on' you have u interrupted power supply?

It is at the sole discretion of the DISCOS to 'ration' power how they see fit. Only them can answer your question.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 22, 2019
joey150:

For the whole 'five days on' you have u interrupted power supply?

It is at the sole discretion of the DISCOS to 'ration' power how they see fit. Only them can answer your question.

Yes. Everyday for the 5 days. There’s light from 7-1pm and 7pm to 1am. Most times that’s the schedule but when craze enter them, you fit no see light at all.

Ehen the DISCOS; how would google have known that.
Re: How To Identify Different High Tension Powerlines by joey150(m): 3:38pm On Mar 22, 2019
mrAMG2:

Yes. Everyday for the 5 days. There’s light from 7-1pm and 7pm to 1am. Most times that’s the schedule but when craze enter them, you fit no see light at all.

Ehen the DISCOS; how would google have known that.

I bet Google could have told you what a transformer actually does and then you could have figured the rest on your own.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNILAG Students Sign Re-Absorption Form, Before Being Re-admitted Back To School / 11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / Long, Black Snake Killed In UNILAG Postgraduate Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.