Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,050 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? (26887 Views)

Maduka University College Enugu Is Currently Admitting Jss 1,2 And SS 1 Students / How Do You Recognize Year 1 Students In School? / Why Do 3rd Class Graduates Do Better Than 1 Class Students After School Days? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by hischoice(m): 5:47pm On Mar 23, 2019
BabangidaHamza:
Please my only advice is that grade don't matters when it comes to university nowadays.. You might graduate with first class and still got no job.. Some first class students always believed that their grade will help them get automatic job from the university which is not true.. Just graduate, if u can invest in business invest, if u c work go do.. But if u allow first class mentality take over u, d person wey dey push wheelbarrow get future pass u

Grades do matter. Ain't nothing wrong having "a first-class mentality." That, in fact, is what we all should strive for - Excellence.

Don't let mediocrity sit well with you because "first-class graduates might struggle for a job." I don't know why that narrative is a reason to not pursue excellence, especially amongst Nigerians.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2019
First class does not mean u go make am in life smh. Kids. For every messi there is a harry kane. Naso life be
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Moloso(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2019
Some put God first...and the avoid distraction if any form.. Some know there capacity(meaning hours spent on reading ) and the are very organized

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2019
Its no myth really
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by tunapa2009(m): 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2019
I actually graduated with a First Class. One if the things that helped me was to master my work and understand percularity of the lecturers. Some lecturers prefer word for word answers while others want your own understanding. Besides, past questions really helped me as many lecturers do repeat questions (that last 5 years and more).

Lastly, you need to believe that you can do it (mindset plays a big part of your success).

I wish you the best

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Godspower35(m): 5:50pm On Mar 23, 2019
My dear friend,many have been misled with the mentality that when you graduate with first class of 2.1 automatically job awaits,thats a big lie,your first class and 2.1 lies in your mentality after school,start creating jobs from now please.
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Ohraykon: 5:51pm On Mar 23, 2019
hisexcellency34:
If you know your way, you can get 2:1 easily in Nigerian universities especially UNILAG
liar it depends on d dept come to physics and see wether u would even graduate. Rubbish n buhari!
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Ohraykon: 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2019
Deicide:
They crame better

Some people can crame a whole text book and you know how lecturers like that you give them what they give you exact grin
school is scam dey just reward us for memory not intelligence.

7 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by shadeyinka(m): 5:53pm On Mar 23, 2019
Durentt:
Hello I'm a second year engineering student who just finished first year with a 4.11. The majority of my friends are on a 4.6 above and no, I'm not
Why this difference when they all read and prepared from the start of the semester. What do first class graduates do that others don't.

They practice more of Past Questions in addition to what those who are on 4.0!

2 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Traveln: 5:53pm On Mar 23, 2019
I will advise the op to do his best and leave the rest for God.
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by kirkwood: 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2019
Get a good coach, from a higher class, like they do in football. Let him/her mentor you from time to time to support your reading effort. You 'd be smarter with that guide. The most important thing to make a good grade, whether you understand the concepts or not. Be smarter. Don't just read.
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by jaxxy(m): 5:54pm On Mar 23, 2019
They are well organized and hv all necessary infos. Sm still hv babes and party (while sm don’t) bt know what they are doing.
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by RTSC: 5:58pm On Mar 23, 2019
You need to get the right materials and practice the right questions.

You need to study with the right people
. Studying with High functioning people like yourself will shorten your learning curve dramatically.

You need to have a First Class brain : Like it or not, it is not everybody that can get a First Class even if you do the above.
It is function of intelligence. Your rate of assimilation need to be outstanding to finish in the top of your class.
And unfortunately, not everybody is fortunate enough to have a First Class brain.
It is a gift, most of the time. It is not necessarily a function of hard work..

So for those who are not privileged to be as mentally aware, their best efforts will probably get them a sharp 2.1 which is good too.

Grace : There are times when you run into trouble academically either in a particular exam or test ,and the consequences would be dire for your CGPA.
But somehow, you just scale through with a B or even a surprising A.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2019
We all don't have same brain that's the simple difference some brain are just like magnet. Download this lovely and beautiful love song http://www.naijapals.com/music/Basabasa_Rough_Rough__Xpol-92755
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Martinez39(m): 6:02pm On Mar 23, 2019
Durentt:
Hello I'm a second year engineering student who just finished first year with a 4.11. The majority of my friends are on a 4.6 above and no, I'm not jealous of them because I know they worked harder than myself last year, I was busy mixing school with romance and play.

wink
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by deltateam: 6:04pm On Mar 23, 2019
Shelumiel:
They have more past question papers than you do . And secondly , they have all the necessary materials to help them get good grades .

Exactly. Another thing is favour. When lecturers see you as a hardworking lad. Following their instructions like assignments, not skipping attendance and going to them for materials like text books or asking them some sensible questions in class. They will like to help you even if you deserve 64 B, who knows if your attendance and zealousness will speak on your behalf to get 72 A. God helps those that help themselves.

Read at least 2 books for a course. Go to school early. Seat in the front. Be attentive.Read ahead of the lecturer self. Get past questions but don't depend totally on them but if you get 3 past years past questions. Buy long note and write out the answers together with the questions to help during revision. Follow each lecturer's instruction on approach to question.

Read at least 2 books for each course. Besides I hope you have passion for the course you are studying. All this would come naturally. Good luck.

5 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Fisher007: 6:04pm On Mar 23, 2019
Durentt:
Hello I'm a second year engineering student who just finished first year with a 4.11. The majority of my friends are on a 4.6 above and no, I'm not jealous of them because I know they worked harder than myself last year, I was busy mixing school with romance and play.

But now I was just wondering. Of course it's a new semester and students have begun reading already. At the end of the semester, some will have a 4.7, 4.3 others will get a 3.5, others even 2.8.
Why this difference when they all read and prepared from the start of the semester. What do first class graduates do that others don't.

From my point of view.
First class or distinction graduate read to learn and understand . They don't read to pass.

Most people think it is about cramming past questions or revision. If that works luckily for some, it is because of the lazy lecturers and weak institution system.

In Nigeria student bribe to pass and get first class or second class upper. So when you ask them what they do. Different excuses come up such as I don't know, or I was lucky the past questions I read came out.

You need to be a slow, patient and repetitive learner to fully grasp what others thought they understood at once.

Now for those who say no be by degree or first class. Trust me to fully understand life and be wealthy you need the three qualities I stated above in all aspect of your life to succeed.

You can be rich and OK. But to be wealthy and maintain such wealth you need the discipline of a first class student. Simple.

Now you can go and hug electric transformer if you want to argue with me. Lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by ghettochild4u(m): 6:04pm On Mar 23, 2019
Durentt:

But now I was just wondering. Of course it's a new semester and students have begun reading already. At the end of the semester, some will have a 4.7, 4.3 others will get a 3.5, others even 2.8.
Ability to retain n recollect information

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by ibrahimofic(m): 6:04pm On Mar 23, 2019
It is discipline bro.
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by fykes(m): 6:08pm On Mar 23, 2019
They fight for marks... I mean 75% is an A & to you, an A is an A. But to a First Class material, he just doesn't want an A, he wants an A with 98%.
This is the basic difference

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by deltateam: 6:08pm On Mar 23, 2019
LordIsaac:
They are more disciplined and have a flair for books, not just the grades.

Good point. Library is their second home.

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Oritsewhandey(m): 6:08pm On Mar 23, 2019
Durentt:
ok thanks. More inputs please
They equally have better inter-personal relationships with key departmental lecturers.
Trust me, they are slimy, snakey and excellent lobbyists and bootlickers.
They have access to past question papers, too. Likewise, textbooks where their lecturers formed their handbooks from. They are dead pretenders.
Their sense of social engineering is superb.

2 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Postboiswag(m): 6:09pm On Mar 23, 2019
hisexcellency34:
If you know your way, you can get 2:1 easily in Nigerian universities especijally UNILAG

Show me the way
Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by CChillz: 6:10pm On Mar 23, 2019
OP let me tell u what I did during my undergraduate years after I got a very bad grade during my year one.
1. You need God.
2a. never miss any lecture, test or any assignments
2b. All my notes was always updated to the most recent lectures. and also I read at least 1hour daily and used Saturdays and Sundays to read and catch up with the weeks lecture.
3. The issue of past questions only works when one lecturer has been handling a course for years without updating his note. It didn't work during my time because the lectures were always updating notes. I had like 3past questions but no question was repeated in most exams except during my year 1 so try find out from your seniors about some lecturers and how they set questions. also confirm what they tell you by getting past questions and crosschecking
4. Find out what time of the days work best for your assimilation. My time for reading and net forgetting what I read was in the early hours of the morning. I prepare before 5:30am and set out at 6:00am and read before every 8:00am lecture. I once tried night reading and in forgot all I read during the day which almost affected me in that particular exam (Systemic Embryology)
5. Make sure you get enough sleep after reading so your brain can assimilate.
6. Lastly, engage in sports like volley ball, or football but don't ever do sports into your reading time.
7. last last, avoid too much activities like "fellowship activities", club activities, party and " promiscuity because they can also affect your grades very well so keep everything to the barest minimum because your were sent to school to get a certificate and also equipped with practical skills for the labour word so endeavour not to forget the purpose of your being sent to school.
8. Finally make sure you cover every lecturers note you have taken down before any test or exam as this also boosts your confidence when writing tests or exams
8. if you are told to attempt 5 questions out of 6 always endeavour to attempt the 5 even if its just a little idea you have, write it down.

I did all this and it paid off when i got my certificate. You have started well already but your best is not good enough.

*modified*
endeavour to get high scores in tests and assignments o, they also go a long way in making you get an A.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Anonymous29: 6:11pm On Mar 23, 2019
They might actually not do anything different. They might just have better retentive memory or better ways of writing during exams. The truth is, friends that study together every time don't end up with same grades. Although their grades may be close. Nature has a way of doing things.

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by deltateam: 6:11pm On Mar 23, 2019
BabangidaHamza:
Please my only advice is that grade don't matters when it comes to university nowadays.. You might graduate with first class and still got no job.. Some first class students always believed that their grade will help them get automatic job from the university which is not true.. Just graduate, if u can invest in business invest, if u c work go do.. But if u allow first class mentality take over u, d person wey dey push wheelbarrow get future pass u

Guy get am first. Na so e easy? First class gives prestige and boosts your confidence.

5 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by crowniran(m): 6:12pm On Mar 23, 2019
Durentt:

Bro watch ur CGPA when you get to part 2, engineering is mad in year two. I wish you the best

2 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by Proudlyngwa(m): 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2019
I can only advise you that examination is not a true text of intelligence, as knowledge and intelligence are two different things.
Don't be dissuaded by your grades, but work hard into application of the knowledge you have in a positive manner.
Cheers

2 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by deltateam: 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2019
Durentt:
disciplined in what way if you don't mind explaining.

Disciplined in the sense that they can seat down for 5-7 hours reading.

Come to school early and have an active reading culture.

Do all assignments given and lots more.

Ready to deny themselves sleep in order to achieve more. I didn't say you shouldn't sleep oh. Set alarm to wake up by 4:00am each day. Prepare go to school early and read for 2 hours before lecture starts.

They have fire in their stomach for excellence. They don't quit.

5 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Graduates Do Different From Other 2.1 Students? by jclassiq(m): 6:15pm On Mar 23, 2019
well... I graduated with a cgpa of 4.4 so I think I qualify to speak to the subject.

for starters.. first class students are naturally brilliant , but not necessarily geniuses.

secondly they prioritize, and their academics take first priority. as in they read like mad!!!

third.. you guys are still in your sophomore year in school and GPA of 4.6 now does not translate to first class upon graduation.

third.. you must understand that first class isn't meant for everybody. all fingers are not equal.

however you can aim for the stars so that you can at least land on the moon. what do you have to lose

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Susan Ojukwu Receives $90k USAID Donald M. Payne Dollars Fellowship Award / WAEC Releases Timetable For May/june 2017 / Ketandu Deborah Adaeze Chiedu Accepted To Ivy Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.