Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? (571 Views)

Pastor In Video Marries 4 Ladies Who Are All Virgins At Once, Says Bible Support / Doesn't The Idea Of Heaven Scare You / SHOCKED: Even The Bible Support This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:24am On Mar 23, 2019
Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery?

Slavery needs to be addressed biblically. Answers in Genesis strongly opposes both racism and slavery.

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-questions/doesnt-the-bible-support-slavery/

1 Like

Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by Shelumiel: 10:35am On Mar 23, 2019
Agreed 100% grin
Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:40am On Mar 23, 2019
Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by UceeGod: 11:14am On Mar 23, 2019
Just like God didn't approve polygamy, God didn't approve slavery even if He allowed it then.

1 Like

Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by Maxi3k(m): 12:50pm On Mar 23, 2019
Na today

Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by Shelumiel: 5:23pm On Mar 23, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

You may like to see this thread --> https://www.nairaland.com/4117387/jesus-created-universe-deity-christ#up
I have seen the thread but I would not bother debating the subject with one who is not led by the Holy Spirit.
Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by Atewo400(m): 5:47pm On Mar 23, 2019
oga hypocrisy kill u there
now tell me what Paul meant when he was said
'slaves Obey your masters'
Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:17pm On Mar 24, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery?

Slavery needs to be addressed biblically. Answers in Genesis strongly opposes both racism and slavery.

https://answersingenesis.org/bible-questions/doesnt-the-bible-support-slavery/

Doesn't the Bible Support Slavery?
by Bodie Hodge and Paul F. Taylor on January 19, 2015

The issue of slavery usually conjures up thoughts of the harsh "race-based" slavery that was common by Europeans toward those of African descent in the latter few centuries. However, slavery has a much longer history and needs to be addressed biblically.1

Some "white"2 Christians have used the Bible to convince themselves that owning slaves is okay and that slaves should obey their "earthly masters." Regrettably and shamefully, "white" Christians have frequently taken verses of Scripture out of context to justify the most despicable acts. In some cases, it could be argued that these people were not really Christians; they were not really born again but were adhering to a form of Christianity for traditional or national reasons. Nevertheless, we have to concede that there are genuine "white" Christians who have believed the vilest calumnies about the nature of "black" people and have sought support for their disgraceful views from the pages of the Bible.

But what does the Bible really teach?
Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
UceeGod:

Just like God didn't approve polygamy, God didn't approve slavery even if He allowed it then.

Did God really allow it?
Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by UceeGod: 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Did God really allow it?
Of course God allowed many things to go on during the old testament times among His chosen people even if He didn't sanction it. God allowed slavery among the Israelites but the practice was quite different from the way slavery was practiced among the nations around them.

1 Like

Re: Doesn't The Bible Support Slavery? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10am On Apr 16, 2019
"When people talk about slavery in the Bible and say the Bible advocates it, what do you say to them when they refuse to accept that slavery in the Bible is different from slavery centuries ago in America?" Steven Gorges

You have to remember that being anti-Bible for many is a hill upon which they will die. It's a huge deal, because if the Bible is God's Word then they are accountable for adultery, fornication, for sinful imaginations, and for lust (which the Bible says is adultery of the heart). So their hard-nosed agenda is to prove that the God of the Bible is unjust in His judgments, and therefore any thought of Judgment Day and Hell is bogus.

So they are searching after truth about as much as a man dying of thirst searches after salt. They rather want to bolster their case for an evil Bible, so they fortify themselves with what they think are mistakes, contradictions, and atrocities, etc.

If you explain that biblical slavery was akin to being a servant to pay off debt, the skeptic will just run off to cut and paste more problems he has with the Bible.

The only effective way to convince him is to move away from his contentious intellect (his carnal mind) and appeal to his God-given society-shaped conscience and take him through the moral Law. With the help of God your aim is to make him thirst after righteousness. It was only when I saw my sins (way back in 1972) that I began to see my danger and whisper "What must I do to be made right with God?" The salt of the Law made me thirst for the righteousness that can only be found in Christ.

www.NoahTheMovie.com (not the unbiblical Russell Crowe version).

Source: https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort 15 April 2014 at 15:44 ·

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Don't Blame Muhammad For Marrying 6-year-old Aisha / ‘The Holy Spirit has spoken to me’ — Fatoyinbo Mounts Pulpit, Makes Revelation / Why We Discouraged Our Members From Watching TELEVISION - Pastor W.f.kumuyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.