Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,625 members, 7,813,054 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints (25962 Views)

#ENDSARS: Elderly Woman Slapped By Police For Pointing At Police Station / Chukwuka Utazi Says There Are 60 Police Checkpoints Between Lagos And Onitsha / Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Adewale1603(m): 8:18am On Aug 27, 2021
its a military law, its also like going into a army base or barracks without being getting shot
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Juicy001: 8:20am On Aug 27, 2021
With this current experience you're still asking if theres any law?
Law doesn't apply to Gov't unless its against the masses

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 27, 2021
Oga, you're just a Nigerian? And you really want to endanger your life for these suckers? It's not like we are fools by avoiding them, we just know it's not worth it!

Those guys are frustrated and will take it on you by any chance they get so just avoid them it's that simple!

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by neighbourhud: 8:21am On Aug 27, 2021
Bros.
For the love of your papa and mama and your nuclear family I beg you just obey. These people feed on fear. When them see say you dey fear dem go free you. I used to be the I know my right kind of guy until one of them shot at me. As in point blank. The thing enter my agbada. How e take miss me I'll never know. Wetin I remember next be say like two army men dey tell me say oga drop the gun. Please oga. Rage took over me totally. I collect the man gun use am pound him head like fufu. Question is what if he never missed. Or what if them decide to shoot me call me robber.
Next time just do like mumu make them carry their wahala dey go. Na lazy man dey sabi tell story o. Brave men are always the subject of the story.

I love the bolded

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by West2019(m): 8:24am On Aug 27, 2021
The reason of banding phone call at a security check point is cos if the insecurities in the country . As for me buhari is in good position to answer this question
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by uba1991: 8:25am On Aug 27, 2021
Military or police check point is their environment and they have laws guiding them
whenever you go to someones house, you must abide by the laws of the house or go back.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Techguy96(m): 8:26am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
It is not good to be using phones at checkpoints.

Phones are sometimes used to detonate bombs.

If a bomb was planted at the checkpoint, U can use phone to detonate the bomb from anywhere in the world.

Beside why would u want to detonate the bomb at the checkpoint when u are at the checkpoint, unless u are a suicide bomber.

But a suicide bomber will not go through that stress of using a phone when they can strap the bomb to the body.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Richy4(m): 8:26am On Aug 27, 2021
Cellphones were used to ignite bomb explosions'... So they are scared... especially in cases of suicide bombers that targets police checkpoints...
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by dallyemmy: 8:28am On Aug 27, 2021
National assembly over to you!
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by jumper524(m): 8:28am On Aug 27, 2021
Bornsinner7:
The question is "is there any law banning calls at checkpoints of policemen"??

All of Una begin they advice the guy say make him say sorry and move on..

Yeah it is good to say sorry and move on.. but with all this comments.. it shows that of all us as Nigerians have no right.. the country is damn broken.. imagine police man slap you for nothing and your right na to say sorry

Well.. I'm not saying that we should be stubborn towards law officers.. all I'm saying is that the country don bàjé

Well since my years of being a Nigerian in Nigeria.. I don't think I've heard about any law that forbids that..
it's illegal to make calls near checkpoints for security issues. They do put their sign boards b4 the point and ignorance is not an excuse in Nigeria law.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by eagleonearth(m): 8:29am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?
police became your enemy after the endsars campaign. You dare not even press your smartphone in a police station. They are being smart and cautious because of recent spate of attacks on their barracks, stations and check points.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by KingOfAllIgbos: 8:29am On Aug 27, 2021
cyberdurable:
Am waiting for who will answer the question, and not some slave answers,... is their a law against it Abi na same fear fear in us?

Use your brains (if you have any)

For security reasons ...what if someone calls ahead telling the bad guys how well fortified the Police / Army guys at a checkpoint are?

This isnt a fictional scenario it has happened MANY times...

Try it with the military and you would get your answer when they give you a brain reset.

Shebi na you no be fear fear.

We sabi una. You would be shaking at Dubai and USA airports shouting YES SIR YES SIR.

You turn tiger once you land in Lagos.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Blesyn22(m): 8:30am On Aug 27, 2021
There's none but making a call at any checkpoint is a sign of threat.

Next time conform to their instructions with a simple sorry. Na dem get d road 4 dat tym. Na only 1 lyf go comot 4 barrel wey dem go tag u unknown Gunmen/IPOB/ESN/BANDITS/KIDNAPPER, etc.

Use ur head

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by uba1991: 8:31am On Aug 27, 2021
Techguy96:

If a bomb was planted at the checkpoint, U can use phone to detonate the bomb from anywhere in the world.

Beside why would u want to detonate the bomb at the checkpoint when u are at the checkpoint, unless u are a suicide bomber.

But a suicide bomber will not go through that stress of using a phone when they can strap the bomb to the body.
ok. You are free to make calls in the check point. Any police or military man that stop you, slap him and pass.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by topoftheworld(m): 8:31am On Aug 27, 2021
Don't follow Naija police argue for the sake of ur life..naso one stopped me last month without anything,b4 he said anything I don prostrate,he smiled and said U can go, we are looking for Yahoo boys here..
Do all u can, not to argue with those animals in uniform.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by darthv: 8:32am On Aug 27, 2021
cyberdurable:
Am waiting for who will answer the question, and not some slave answers,... is their a law against it Abi na same fear fear in us?
you don't answer a call in checkpoint, security reason as obvious and also you might be selling them out

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Techguy96(m): 8:35am On Aug 27, 2021
uba1991:
ok. You are free to make calls in the check point. Any police or military man that stop you, slap him and pass.
I'm just countering your point about using phone to detonate bomb.

That is an invalid reason.

I'm not arguing if we can make call or not at the checkpoint.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by pacespot(m): 8:35am On Aug 27, 2021
Bros.
For the love of your papa and mama and your nuclear family I beg you just obey. These people feed on fear. When them see say you dey fear dem go free you. I used to be the I know my right kind of guy until one of them shot at me. As in point blank. The thing enter my agbada. How e take miss me I'll never know. Wetin I remember next be say like two army men dey tell me say oga drop the gun. Please oga. Rage took over me totally. I collect the man gun use am pound him head like fufu. Question is what if he never missed. Or what if them decide to shoot me call me robber.
Next time just do like mumu make them carry their wahala dey go. Na lazy man dey sabi tell story o. Brave men are always the subject of the story.

I tell you, there is no accountability on the part of security forces, and this has emboldened them to do as they please. Actually it is a foolish thing arguing with someone carrying a lethal weapon when your body is not resistant to bullets, you don't know the mood of the person in that moment and the damage could have been done before you get a help

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by BelovedofLord: 8:36am On Aug 27, 2021
Kaduna1stson:

Such a dumb reply?

Countless other devices like watches, remote controls and switches can also be used to detonate bomb. Why stopping people from using phones while allowing people to wear watches.

The real reason is to stop people from taking picture and video of exchange of money collected at checkpoints.
[
You just nailed, it!
]
Wisdom is profitable to direct, please!!
[
Mind you, these people have constituted themselves to be the law at that particular place & moment, to the civil populace only!!!
]
Needless for me to remind you of what went down somedays ago at the shameless, NDA!!!!
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Uprangers11: 8:39am On Aug 27, 2021
Is dere any law in Nigeria ?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 8:43am On Aug 27, 2021
Techguy96:

undecided undecided undecided undecided
Stop talking about something you don't know, they have to be close to the bomb, because of radio wave.

Don't talk about something you don't know angry angry

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Calicoe: 8:45am On Aug 27, 2021
This is why sometimes I don't feel pity when I read about some brutal criminals wasting some police men
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Youngzedd(m): 8:46am On Aug 27, 2021
Bornsinner7:

Yeah it is good to say sorry and move on.. but with all this comments.. it shows that of all us as Nigerians have no right.. the country is damn broken.. imagine police man slap you for nothing and your right na to say sorry

Well.. I'm not saying that we should be stubborn towards law officers.. all I'm saying is that the country don bàjé

Well since my years of being a Nigerian in Nigeria.. I don't think I've heard about any law that forbids that..

Nigeria civilians are people with no right. Oppression is too much.

The country is doomed.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by tradepunter: 8:46am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:

The me in me hates intimidation

They are telling you something you are still claiming right.

Take it from someone who's served in higher agency than the police... They wanted to do in a work mate despite identifying himself with his ID.

If not for the SOS system he activated on his phone that got us to respond fast only God knows what might have happened.

According to his account he said the police got mad at him because he was at a higher agency, am not even talking about the DSS..... That alone shows you how messed up they are

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Limassol(m): 8:49am On Aug 27, 2021
Bornsinner7:

it's audible to the blind that the country is a failing state. Besides, saying sorry won't take anything from the guy, besides it's the wisest thing to do. Arguing assertively with a NPF personnel who is hungry,underpaid,frustrated and ill-trained is foolishness. Better safe than sorry.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by adanny01(m): 8:49am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?

Just like to be within an embassy is considered to be on the home country is the same way a checkpoint is considered to be a barracks. There is military or police law in the barracks and it extends to check points. They make the rules.

Being a Nigerian means you should learn not to challenge any one with more powers than you. It doesn't matter what is right or wrong. It will help you live longer.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Techguy96(m): 8:51am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Stop talking about something you don't know, they have to be close to the bomb, because of radio wave.

Don't talk about something you don't know angry angry
That's not true, I studied electrical electronics engineering, I know one or two things about electromagnetic waves and automation.

These are project we use to do in school, triggering actuators using phone.

And I can boldly tell u that u don't need to be close to the bomb.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by thinkmoney(m): 8:51am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:

Well, I have also thought about it. The problem with Nigeria is that our law is archaic. I believe if our lawmakers are up with time, such law banning calls at checkpoints would have been suggested if it's not there already.
From ruminating about the matter, I realised that mobile gadgets can be use to detonate explosives like IED, suicide vex and car bombs and it can be used to indicate a position for possible missile and/or mortar attacks. So, in hot zones like many places in Nigeria today, the army and police are always wary and sometimes scared of people using them.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 8:55am On Aug 27, 2021
Techguy96:

That's not true, I studied electrical electronics engineering, I know one or two things about electromagnetic waves and automation.

These are project we use to do in school, triggering actuators using phone.

And I can boldly tell u that u don't need to be close to the bomb.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2003/06/fbi-cell-phones-triggered-bombs/amp

Read this article, there is a range that you can use cell phone to detonate bombs not from anywhere in the world.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by seyz91(m): 9:03am On Aug 27, 2021
Confirm!
Niyeal:
You can make calls at police check point but don't try it wit army check point
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by BluntCrazeMan: 9:04am On Aug 27, 2021
No Law At All..
None..!!
It's just their lust for oppression and intimidation.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by BluntCrazeMan: 9:05am On Aug 27, 2021
Niyeal:
You can make calls at police check point but don't try it wit army check point
My brother, even with NSCDC or FRSC checkpoints., once you're making calls around there, sorry for yourself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Viral Video Of A Lady Being Butchered By Fellow Ladies (graphic) / I Rent Out My Three-week-old Baby To Beggars For N1,500 Daily (pic) / Pregnant Lady Attacks A Tricyclist Who Gave Her A Bad N100 Note

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.