Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints (25957 Views)

#ENDSARS: Elderly Woman Slapped By Police For Pointing At Police Station / Chukwuka Utazi Says There Are 60 Police Checkpoints Between Lagos And Onitsha / Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Missionaire: 11:14am On Aug 27, 2021
I'm surprised we are still talking about this.
While I'm not sure if there is a law concerning this or not, I do know that there are some security ethics one has to observe for security reasons.
Some of them are:
1. Not driving closely behind a (para) military vehicle.
2. Not making calls close to a checkpoint or sentry (out) post.
3. Not putting off your inner light when approaching a checkpoint.
As much as you we can, we should avoid things that would bring unnecessary embarrassments and harassments to us. People who travel interstate especially drivers already know these things.
Some of you talking about bribe, how many have you been able to video record and what has it proven?
Even in banks, you're not allowed to make calls not to talk of a security check point. When you do this, you put everybody's life on risk.

When you are on call and you're approaching a security check point, you can tell the person you are on call with that you are approaching a checkpoint and so he or she should hold on or you would call them back.

E no go pass 5 minutes and una go pass jejely.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:15am On Aug 27, 2021
Bornsinner7:
The question is "is there any law banning calls at checkpoints of policemen"??

All of Una begin they advice the guy say make him say sorry and move on..

Yeah it is good to say sorry and move on.. but with all this comments.. it shows that of all us as Nigerians have no right.. the country is damn broken.. imagine police man slap you for nothing and your right na to say sorry

Well.. I'm not saying that we should be stubborn towards law officers.. all I'm saying is that the country don bàjé

Well since my years of being a Nigerian in Nigeria.. I don't think I've heard about any law that forbids that..

My brother, it is shocking. Simple question: is there a law forbiding making calls at checkpoints, and people are speaking grammar irrelevant to d question

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:18am On Aug 27, 2021
WaffenSS:

Read this

https://www.nairaland.com/6722274/why-cant-receive-calls-close

Pls read d question again:

IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sabreal: 11:18am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?

No.

But mind you NPF, DSS and anything can happen under the watch of buhati (aka anarchy)
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:20am On Aug 27, 2021
Ayomivic:

There are many law in nigeria that is not written down but it is in the hand of people in power . The written laws are nothing to the people in power . The common man must always obey their commands if you do not want to suffer

Who made d laws that are not written down and did d constitution make provision for Nigerians to obey laws that are not written down?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:23am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
undecided undecided undecided undecided

So you know better than the military abi?

Do you know think real life scenario, is the same as your project in school.

Techguy96 made some valid points. I was expecting u to negate d points he made. Instead u are attacking his person without really making any point
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 11:24am On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

Techguy96 made some valid points. I was expecting u to negate d points he made. Instead u are attacking his person without really making any point
which points did he made?? undecided undecided

He's talking about rationality of terrorist, as if terrorists are rational people, do you think that they are afraid to die.

Real life is different from school project.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:27am On Aug 27, 2021
rottennaija:

I don't think there is or it is even illegal. By common sense should tell you that we are living in a time of heighten security threat and that in a check point, the police can feel that you are giving their position to criminals or bandits that can harm them.

Let me ask you, if you happen to meet arm rubbers in the way, would you ask them if it's against the law to be on phone calls while you encounter them?

Is it only at d checkpoint that u can u give away d position of police to criminals?

With ur armed robber analogy, are u saying Nigerians should begin perceiving police same way we perceive armed robbers?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:28am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
which points did he made?? undecided undecided

He's talking about rationality of terrorist, as if terrorists are rational people, do you think that they are afraid to die.

Real life is different from school project.

Pls what has his school project got to do with d discussion?

Can u show d "rationality of terrorists" that u are referring to?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Rhozabeth(m): 11:30am On Aug 27, 2021
Its not an offence to make calls at a check point and there is no law that says u shud not make a call at any checkpoint but its a big security rosk for the sexurity agents!
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by valiju: 11:32am On Aug 27, 2021
Yes there is a law that say so any previldge and person in authority belief in nigeria is already a law
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 11:33am On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

Pls what has his school project got to do with d discussion?

Didn't you read his previous post that he said that terrorist using cell phone in military checkpoint is a foolish person? Did you think that terrorist think that way? Do you think that they are afraid to die? They have a dangerous ideology that a rational mind will find it difficult to comprehend.

Concerning project? He said that he is an engineer that he has done some practical about remote detonation through phone. I told him that real life scenario is different from the school
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Emeskhalifa(m): 11:36am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?

Ogar goan thank your heaven.

U dey do asif no be Nigeria u dey.

Those guys would have killed you for less.

Pls next time just obey whatever it is for your own sake.

LAWS no dey work well for this country.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 27, 2021
Techguy96:

That's not true, I studied electrical electronics engineering, I know one or two things about electromagnetic waves and automation.

These are project we use to do in school, triggering actuators using phone.

And I can boldly tell u that u don't need to be close to the bomb.
Oga Electrical Engr, u need minimum allowable distance for you to be able to detonate bombs using ur mobile phone. The closer u are to the target, the more effective it is

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:42am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
Didn't you read his previous post that he said that terrorist using cell phone in military checkpoint is a foolish person? Did you think that terrorist think that way? Do you think that they are afraid to die? They have a dangerous ideology that a rational mind will find it difficult to comprehend.

Concerning project? He said that he is an engineer that he has done some practical about remote detonation through phone. I told him that real life scenario is different from the school

Even if he mentioned that he is an engineer, how does it negate d points he made?

Can u negate any of d points he raised?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 11:43am On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

Even if he mentioned that he is an engineer, how does it negate d points he made?

Can u negate any of d points he raised?
check his previous posts don't waste my time undecided undecided
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Dagger111(m): 11:46am On Aug 27, 2021
Bornsinner7:
The question is "is there any law banning calls at checkpoints of policemen"??

All of Una begin they advice the guy say make him say sorry and move on..

Yeah it is good to say sorry and move on.. but with all this comments.. it shows that of all us as Nigerians have no right.. the country is damn broken.. imagine police man slap you for nothing and your right na to say sorry

Well.. I'm not saying that we should be stubborn towards law officers.. all I'm saying is that the country don bàjé

Well since my years of being a Nigerian in Nigeria.. I don't think I've heard about any law that forbids that..

Werey dey worry u, in military S.O.P, u don't allow anyone make call at checkpoints. It is standing order. One can be an informant at that moment, giving them clue on how the checkpoint is deployed.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:47am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
check his previous posts don't waste my time undecided undecided

I have checked that's why I got into d discussion and so far u haven't been able to negate a single thing he said
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by rottennaija(m): 11:48am On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

Is it only at d checkpoint that u can u give away d position of police to criminals?

With ur armed robber analogy, are u saying Nigerians should begin perceiving police same way we perceive armed robbers?

I think you deliberately refused to see the points I raised. Let me bring the points out. We are in a state of heighten security risk. The security agents are as scared for their lives as you are. To avoid story, whenever you get to a check point or near it, avoid the calls. If you like you hear, if you like you claim your rights
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:49am On Aug 27, 2021
rottennaija:

I think you deliberately refused to see the points I raised. Let me bring the points out. We are in a state of heighten security risk. The security agents are as scared for their lives as you are. To avoid story, whenever you get to a check point or near it, avoid the calls. If you like you hear, if you like you claim your rights

U haven't answered d questions:

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 11:52am On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

I have checked that's why I got into d discussion and so far u haven't been able to negate a single thing he said
His main point is that terrorists using phone cells as remote detonators do not have to be there. He also said that terrorists doing so are foolish.

I refuted his claim in one main sentence? Terrorists are not rational people.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:55am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
His main point is that terrorists using phone cells as remote detonators do not have to be there. He also said that terrorists doing so are foolish.

Good and have u negated these points he raised especially when u consider d comment he was responding to ab initio?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 11:57am On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

Good and have u negated these points he raised especially when u consider d comment he was responding to ab initio?
Yes
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 12:03pm On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
Yes

This was ur response to him:

How does this negate what he said?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

This was ur response to him:

How does this negate what he said?
that was not the only reply, that I said that because he said this

"This is also invalid.

Someone can get all this details and make the call elsewhere.

It's not necessary that a terrorist will make such call right in front of the army at their checkpoint.
Infact such terrorist will be foolish."

He was quoting another person, not me but his reply shows that he is just boasting, since he is a civilian and knows little about warfare.

When experts are talking or giving some directives, it is better that does who don't know about the subject keep quiet.

Military: Don't use phone in checkpoints.
Techguy: You can use phone joor.
Me: Why did you say that, are you an expert?
Techguy: Yes, I know better than the military cool
Me: shocked shocked shocked
Me: So you know better than military intelligence officers, IT experts, engineers and others professionals in the military
Techguy: okay bye
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Burgerlomo: 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2021
cbrezy:
I've witnessed a man walking with two ladies and was on a call passing through an Army checkpoint an Army man collect the phone and asked him to go since then I don't dare to even put earphone on my ear when passing an Army checkpoint to avoid loosing my phone sad

But you're lucky it's police and not Army.

But that's wrong though, it's pure stealing and nothing else.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lordmans(m): 12:14pm On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:

Thank God, you're alive to tell your story.
The truth is whenever you're approaching such checkpoints, especially in volatile areas where their members have been attacked pls don't make calls. They might think you're spying on them. The security situation has deteriorated so bad that they too need to take proactive measures to protect themselves.

You might not meant any harm but there are those with evil intentions masking around as normal people. The people of NE Nigeria will tell you their experience; it's not enviable. So are those in areas the UGM are operating.

Saying sorry and asking politely from them might have given you your answer but because you're a Nigerian and we like breaking sweat over unnecessary bragado you took the wrong approach. They have their own standard operating procedure SOP, which varies from area to area, and state to state. The SOPs come from the IG, Commissioners, Area Commanders etc

Let nobody deceive you, it's good to apply common sense and simple diplomacy in issues like this.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
that was not the only reply, that I said that because he said this

"This is also invalid.

Someone can get all this details and make the call elsewhere.

It's not necessary that a terrorist will make such call right in front of the army at their checkpoint.
Infact such terrorist will be foolish."

He was quoting another person, not me but his reply shows that he is just boasting, since he is a civilian and knows little about warfare.

When experts are talking or giving some directives, it is better that does who don't know about the subject keep quiet.

Military: Don't use phone in checkpoints.
Techguy: You can use phone joor.
Me: Why did you say that, are you an expert?
Techguy: Yes, I know better than the military cool
Me: shocked shocked shocked
Me: So you know better than military intelligence officers, IT experts, engineers and others professionals in the military
Techguy: okay bye

U still weren't able to negate what he said

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2021
lexy2014:

U still weren't able to negate what he said
Techguy other account grin grin
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
Techguy other account grin grin

Still doesn't change d fact that u didn't negate what he said
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by aujile(m): 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2021
Your first response when you were asked to hand over the phone put fear in their body and in their mind, your are a Barrister that knows your right and not intimidated.
The second response when you were asked to identify yourself showed that you are nobody they should be scared of, so they followed it with a slap.
I have been in similar situation more than three times (though not for making calls at a check point but two of those incidents were at a check point). Your response should whenever you are asked to identify yourself should not be rude and also refuse to let them know that you are not who they suspect you are. That doesn't mean you should lies, just be bold and tell them that it doesn't have anything to do with the matter at hand.
lonelydora:

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Truvelisback(m): 12:29pm On Aug 27, 2021
For security reasons.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Our Lives Inside Prison – Convicted Soldiers / 61-Year-Old Man Arrested For Cutting Off Hand Of 11-Year-old Boy / One Killed As Rival Cult Groups Clash In Ugep, Cross River (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.