Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints (25955 Views)

#ENDSARS: Elderly Woman Slapped By Police For Pointing At Police Station / Chukwuka Utazi Says There Are 60 Police Checkpoints Between Lagos And Onitsha / Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by donalduduh: 9:06am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?

Which law we get for this country wey de work? Here, might is right. No go die ontop you right come go yonder see say nothing happen to the person(s) wey kill you. If person hold gun near you, make your answers to am no pass "yes sir", "sorry sir" and "abeg sir".
Rule 101 on surviving as an ordinary citizen in Naija
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by greenguy: 9:08am On Aug 27, 2021
There's no ridiculous thing police won't say when they're desperate for a small change. Sometimes I wonder if those things they say makes sense to themselves.

Shameless people.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Franking: 9:09am On Aug 27, 2021
People on any kind of uniform in Nigeria nay Africa, even Legions are demigods. We made them so.

Our collective attitude towards them is such a shame.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by jlomz: 9:11am On Aug 27, 2021
Naso I take collect Hot Slap for front of Bank that year from Policeman on mufti for picking a call innocently.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by rajiedreez: 9:20am On Aug 27, 2021
I guess the origin of this "no calls at checkpoint" started in the north when the terror was at its peak. It could be that they military men were security conscious that people might inform terrorists that the particular road was manned by security operative for them to follow other route or for the terrorists to plan an attack. But trust naija police they'll hide behind such innocent idea when carrying out their own extortion plans so as not to be caught in action, you'll hear them say " so you want to call bandits to come and attack us abi". So as frustrating and as wrong as it may sound its better to avoid calls at checkpoints so that no one will fear for their lives i.e. you and the police

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by donMIG(m): 9:21am On Aug 27, 2021
R u from Pluto?
U should know that making calls around those areas would make u look suspicious

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Cokahot: 9:27am On Aug 27, 2021
Since phones are not allowed at checkpoint,then spy cams or hidden cams should be allowed.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by WaffenSS(m): 9:28am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:
I was running late for a meeting this morning at Oyigbo in Rivers State. Because of the bad nature of the road to Oyibo,i decided to join to a commercial bus.

I was already on call before the C4i checkpoint after toll gate. All of a sudden i was hearing some banging on the bus, and the policeman shouting "Driver Clear Well"

I didn't even i know i was the reason for the parking until some passengers told me to end the call. I asked why, they said we were being parked because i making call. See me see trouble ooo. I told them i cannot cut on the person calling me. Na so, i finish my call jejely.

After a while the policeman came and said i should come down, that i should handover my phone to him. First word that came out of my mouth was "It's my personal property and he has no right to cease my phone" Na so fear catch am.

He went to call their commander, and the man came and said i should identify myself. I told him I'm a Nigerian. He asked why i was i making calls? I told him i didn't know it was offence to make calls at police checkpoints.

He said i was proving stubborn. How nah? Before i could say a word, one of them gave me a slap (E hot shaa) from behind and dragged me to their small office. I swear i wanted to react but held myself, and told him i am leaving him because he's on uniform. He was wearing jacket which covered his name and his number. I was trying to get his name, and he noticed and buttoned the jacket.

The commander finally came and said i should give him my phone. I told him i have to lock the phone first because of the confidential stuffs i have. He agreed and allowed me to lock the phone. I pleaded to make a call or send a text, he said if i try it, that he will shoot me. Omo, na there i come calm down before my sad story will grace front page on Nairaland. Rivers state too hot, abegi!

Someone (who i suspect to be a military officer on mufti) i didn't even know stopped and demanded to know what was my offence. He told them he saw the way i was being dragged and that i look so gentle.

Las Las, he pleaded on my behalf and asked the commander to give me my phone back. The man gave me a lift to Oyigbo and said next time, i should just say "Sorry" and move on.

NOW, IS THERE ANY WRITTEN NIGERIAN LAW BANNING MAKING OF CALLS AT POLICE CHECKPOINTS?

Read this

https://www.nairaland.com/6722274/why-cant-receive-calls-close
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by davillian(m): 9:32am On Aug 27, 2021
You know the security situation in the country
They might feel you were giving ugm intel....
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Eillyeillz(m): 9:36am On Aug 27, 2021
Bar1941:
Am not sure but I think the police at the check point will not like that, they may think you want to report them taking their forceful entitlement (bribe).

No it started when the Boko boys were at their peak, driving round killing force men at check points and detonating bombs remotely using cellular devices.

It was the army that came up with the law of no phone calls in or around check points, started in the north, but soon spread across the country.

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Eillyeillz(m): 9:37am On Aug 27, 2021
rajiedreez:
I guess the origin of this "no calls at checkpoint" started in the north when the terror was at its peak. It could be that they military men were security conscious that people might inform terrorists that the particular road was manned by security operative for them to follow other route or for the terrorists to plan an attack. But trust naija police they'll hide behind such innocent idea when carrying out their own extortion plans so as not to be caught in action, you'll hear them say " so you want to call bandits to come and attack us abi". So as frustrating and as wrong as it may sound its better to avoid calls at checkpoints so that no one will fear for their lives i.e. you and the police

Wouldn't have bothered if i had seen your comment.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Bluewitch(f): 9:39am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:

The me in me hates intimidation

Ọmo I hate that shit
There's need to legalize guns in Nigeria...
At least as he's putting off his safety I'll be putting off Mone as well....
We'll see who will intimidate who....

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Aufbauh(m): 9:39am On Aug 27, 2021
There's no written laws about it. However it is being perceived by security operatives as a 'Security Breach'.
You might be consider as a potential threat or informant giving out information to enemy on their formation. To me it is understandable.

Besides, it can be consider as an etiquette when approaching any security formation on guard or check point.

breach
lonelydora:

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Agadinaagwuofe: 9:39am On Aug 27, 2021
Seriously Nigerian constitution should be thrown away to trash can. I have suffered severally from this "abuse of power" the ways you can access your right here in Nigeria is if you are a force man or a very wealthy man. I once told my colleague who is a foreigner and Caucasian to cut call at a military check point here in Nigeria he just laughed at me and said "nothing will happen" and this incident happened at most notorious checkpoint for harrowing people answering call (Umuikaa round about at Isiala ngwa, Abia state) and truly the joint forces (army/navy) didn't even talk to him even when the guy spent close to a minute on the call infront of them on that same moment another personnel stopped someone on another vehicle because of the same offence..

@Poster there is no known law that prohibits answering call at check points but for safety just obey and go until you make a lot of money or get wealthy don't be in a bus because they will harass you just be in your car and answer call in front of them trust me they will wave hand and ask you to go your way.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by 24brains(m): 9:42am On Aug 27, 2021
"I know my rights" na so one driver take die for right of way.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Ayomivic(m): 9:51am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:

There are many law in nigeria that is not written down but it is in the hand of people in power . The written laws are nothing to the people in power . The common man must always obey their commands if you do not want to suffer
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by samdaisi: 9:55am On Aug 27, 2021
Oga if you are on t yet married it's good to argue with the person that hold guns but if you are born please for the sake of those kids not for your own sake obey b4 complaint.
You are the types of husband that drag issues with your wife at home

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Techguy96(m): 9:58am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2003/06/fbi-cell-phones-triggered-bombs/amp

Read this article, there is a range that you can use cell phone to detonate bombs not from anywhere in the world.
Did u read the article u just sent me,
The bomb is detonated when the phone receives call.

You can call the phone anywhere from this world as soon as the phone receives call, it detonate the bomb.

In this case, there are two phone involved, one strap to the bomb and one use to make the call.

The one strap to the bomb is not the detonator, it's the one use to make the call that's the detonator.

Now u can be anywhere in the world and call the phone strap to the bomb and it will explode.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Techguy96(m): 10:01am On Aug 27, 2021
rajiedreez:
This is also invalid.

Someone can get all this details and make the call elsewhere.

It's not necessary that a terrorist will make such call right in front of the army at their checkpoint.
Infact such terrorist will be foolish.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 10:05am On Aug 27, 2021
Techguy96:

This is also invalid.

Someone can get all this details and make the call elsewhere.

It's not necessary that a terrorist will make such call right in front of the army at their checkpoint.
Infact such terrorist will be foolish.
undecided undecided undecided undecided

So you know better than the military abi?

Do you know think real life scenario, is the same as your project in school.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Techguy96(m): 10:09am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
undecided undecided undecided undecided

So you know better than the military abi?

Do you know think real life scenario, is the same as your project in school.
Are u talking about the phone detonating bomb or that a terrorist doesn't necessarily need to make call right in the checkpoint?

Because I don't see where my school project comes in play.

And yes I know better that alot of Nigeria military.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Princeton92(m): 10:11am On Aug 27, 2021
Incorrect
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by bukatyne(f): 10:11am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:

The me in me hates intimidation

It is not all about rights.

Putting off the phone the first time the people told you would have cost nothing.

Worse case, you call the person back and plead 'poor network'.

With your strong head, you delayed the other people in the bus with you. It did not occur to your that someone might be in a hurry or trying to solve an emergency.

Thank God you are alive to share the story so others can learn from it.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 10:15am On Aug 27, 2021
Techguy96:

Are u talking about the phone detonating bomb or that a terrorist doesn't necessarily need to make call right in the checkpoint?

Because I don't see where my school project comes in play.

And yes I know better that alot of Nigeria military.
grin grin grin

Are you not in Nigeria, don't know that boko haram terrorists will use cellphone to detonate bombs in checkpoints.

As for you saying that you know better than the Military? What's your qualifications? Do you think there are no experts, engineers, intelligence officers in the military?

You will just stay behind your keyboard and be typing rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Skinkerjnr(m): 10:41am On Aug 27, 2021
Just yesterday at d army checkpoint in Ihiala,a soldier just called a man collected his phone nd threw it inside d gutter....on a very good day na sir dat army man go d answer d elderly huge bloody civilian.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Eastcoastboy(m): 10:45am On Aug 27, 2021
Bros.
For the love of your papa and mama and your nuclear family I beg you just obey. These people feed on fear. When them see say you dey fear dem go free you. I used to be the I know my right kind of guy until one of them shot at me. As in point blank. The thing enter my agbada. How e take miss me I'll never know. Wetin I remember next be say like two army men dey tell me say oga drop the gun. Please oga. Rage took over me totally. I collect the man gun use am pound him head like fufu. Question is what if he never missed. Or what if them decide to shoot me call me robber.
Next time just do like mumu make them carry their wahala dey go. Na lazy man dey sabi tell story o. Brave men are always the subject of the story.

Arh! This got me shaky. Like Wtf! He legit shot at you?
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Techguy96(m): 10:52am On Aug 27, 2021
sammy329:
grin grin grin

Are you not in Nigeria, don't know that boko haram terrorists will use cellphone to detonate bombs in checkpoints.

As for you saying that you know better than the Military? What's your qualifications? Do you think there are no experts, engineers, intelligence officers in the military?

You will just stay behind your keyboard and be typing rubbish.
Ok bye
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by sammy329(m): 10:54am On Aug 27, 2021
Techguy96:

Ok bye
Bye tongue tongue tongue

Since you know better than intelligence office, Military communication experts, IT experts, Engineers and co.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by rottennaija(m): 10:55am On Aug 27, 2021
lonelydora:

I don't think there is or it is even illegal. But common sense should tell you that we are living in a time of heighten security threat and that in a check point, the police can feel that you are giving their position to criminals or bandits that can harm them.

Let me ask you, if you happen to meet arm rubbers in the way, would you ask them if it's against the law to be on phone calls while you encounter them?

If you were in a call and you get to a police check point, kindly hang up the phone and after you are through with them, you can continue your call. It's not everything you ask for your rights. You lose nothing but can likely gain everything.

Heck, you don't even make calls at banks. Its a security risk.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by ComingKing: 11:09am On Aug 27, 2021
Bornsinner7:
The question is "is there any law banning calls at checkpoints of policemen"??

All of Una begin they advice the guy say make him say sorry and move on..

Yeah it is good to say sorry and move on.. but with all this comments.. it shows that of all us as Nigerians have no right.. the country is damn broken.. imagine police man slap you for nothing and your right na to say sorry

Well.. I'm not saying that we should be stubborn towards law officers.. all I'm saying is that the country don bàjé

Well since my years of being a Nigerian in Nigeria.. I don't think I've heard about any law that forbids that..

The problem of phone and checkpoints started when BHTs were targeting security personnel at checkpoints.
Besides that, while passing through checkpoints, your attention should be n the security officer not on anything as you are expected to answer immediately when asked any question

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by Ruggedpen: 11:09am On Aug 27, 2021
Bornsinner7:
The question is "is there any law banning calls at checkpoints of policemen"??

All of Una begin they advice the guy say make him say sorry and move on..

Yeah it is good to say sorry and move on.. but with all this comments.. it shows that of all us as Nigerians have no right.. the country is damn broken.. imagine police man slap you for nothing and your right na to say sorry

Well.. I'm not saying that we should be stubborn towards law officers.. all I'm saying is that the country don bàjé

Well since my years of being a Nigerian in Nigeria.. I don't think I've heard about any law that forbids that..
Brother most times is better to meet Thief than to meet police here in Nigeria, keep your right aside when you see police. Nobody will talk about you, if they eventually kill you. Reason is because there is a lot of killing in Nigeria, 50 people will be killed by bandits nobody talk about it.
Re: Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints by lexy2014: 11:13am On Aug 27, 2021
Niyeal:
You can make calls at police check point but don't try it wit army check point

D question is that is there a law forbiding Nigerians from making calls at police checkpoints? Since u have added army checkpoint, is there a law that forbids making calls at army checkpoints?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Detained For Tearing Maid’s Private Part With Razor / Our Lives Inside Prison – Convicted Soldiers / 61-Year-Old Man Arrested For Cutting Off Hand Of 11-Year-old Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.