Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,970 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse (40955 Views)

Marriage Vows: The Double Standard, Hypocrisy Of Oyedepo / Church Of Satan Reacts As Daddy Freeze Says Marriage Vows Are Satanic / "For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by nwanyionitsha: 2:16pm On Mar 26, 2019
HigherEd:

Hmm I u understand why ministers of the faith movement, the likes of Hagin, Oyedepo and Copeland would thoroughly hate that line because most believe the redemption package doesn't permit Christians to be sick or poor in the first place. But the reality is that many Christians live short of God's desire for their divine health and financial prosperity. And you don't want a situation where marriages collapse because of money or health issues.

Therefore, that line though Unscriptural was a necessary innovation from the medieval church to bring marriage partners into a vow bound by death. To ensure that no one jumps ship when things get low - which in many cases it does. In doing so, the church has removed the option of divorcing your partner for circumstantial reasons and reinforced that it would not be part to relationships inspired by benefits only.

My reservation is when major ministries abandon that line it would further weaken people's commitment to lifelong marital covenants.

The only evil the church has been culpable in is not encouraging victims of marital abuse to separate from their abusive spouses - something the church must work on.
Thanks for this. Very true.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by dabossman(m): 2:17pm On Mar 26, 2019
HigherEd:

Hmm I u understand why ministers of the faith movement, the likes of Hagin, Oyedepo and Copeland would thoroughly hate that line because most believe the redemption package doesn't permit Christians to be sick or poor in the first place. But the reality is that many Christians live short of God's desire for their divine health and financial prosperity. And you don't want a situation where marriages collapse because of money or health issues.

Therefore, that line though Unscriptural was a necessary innovation from the medieval church to bring marriage partners into a vow bound by death. To ensure that no one jumps ship when things get low - which in many cases it does. In doing so, the church has removed the option of divorcing your partner for circumstantial reasons and reinforced that it would not be part to relationships inspired by benefits only.

My reservation is when major ministries abandon that line it would further weaken people's commitment to lifelong marital covenants.

The only evil the church has been culpable in is not encouraging victims of marital abuse to separate from their abusive spouses - something the church must work on.

God bless you for your brilliant summation. I guess the Bible verse that says "in this world you shall face many tribulations, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world is also a curse. I don't know where some Christians get off thinking they won't face challenges while here on earth.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by SIRTee15: 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2019
The marriage how is not scriptural....
It's neither a written or spoken ordinance from God....
It's man made and can be challenged....

It was invented by the western medevial churches as a necessity to ensure couples stay true to each other during hard times which was very much prevalent those times....

The church took it seriously during the bubonic plague pandemic in the 14th century, when it was common for the spouse to abandon the other partner if he/she becomes infected.....
The black death wiped out over 200 million people in Europe and the belief was that God was using the plague to punish sinners, and if u stay close to an infected person u will share in the punishment and get infected.....
This, so many infected people had no one to care for them....
The church wanted to discourage this and the marriage vow was one of the tool they utilized....

Moreso, the dark ages was a difficult time for the working class in Europe....
If u not from a wealthy or aristocratic family, then providing for your family may be tough....
The Roman Catholic church had to find ways to preserve the family unit which was under threat....

Eastern European churches don't have the marriage vows and some denomination don't use it either....
Some churches even allow couples to write and exchange their own marriage vows if they so wish....
Nothing is sacrosanct.....

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by dabossman(m): 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2019
Cantonese:

Gone are the days people were blindly led by certain ministers of God through wrong interpretations. I just want to ask how long ago the minister got married. Judging by the ages of his children one can safely say he has been married for over 35 years. If it is so I am of the opinion that he took the "for better for worse" oath. His wife has remained with him through all.

If that is accepted I believe that his marriage has had its fair share of all forms of challenges.

Jesus clearly told us about challenges and truly as he said the life is full of challenges, especially in the Nigeria of today.

Prospective couples should not be put of or misled by certain statements credited to influencial ministers. Marriages are not designed "for riches and for good health" only. Even the very wealthy suffer incurable diseases. In the event of health challenges should the man or the woman walk away?

God help us please.

Even the Bishop's wife, Mrs. Faith Oyedepo battled with illness for some time before she got healed, and the Bishop didn't desert her. That is the essence of the vow.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Funkybabee(f): 2:20pm On Mar 26, 2019
Yes oo my Father have already said it before, marriage is for better for best. I guess C.A.C will change it also since tbey have said it before
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by thesolutions(m): 2:21pm On Mar 26, 2019
It is called marriage vow for a reason. It is a vow because it calls for commitments from both parties. Can two work together except they agree. The vow is a binding contract between the two.

Talking about it being scriptural or not is an attempt to use it for self benefits or to hide from giving counseling to marriages that are in turbulence by ministers, just like America is hiding under gay law to avoid counseling it citizens that are having difficulty in relating to opposite sex.

It is also an attempt to blame one party of a marriage vow of not being able to live up to responsibilities resulting to infractions in their marriage. It is obvious that financial and health problems among members/brethren has constituted a serious problem to some minister,hence, trying to blame them for their decisions taken in good faith and under the church's permission.

Ministers should stop trying to sound intellectually correct at the expense of the truth that they are called to defend.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by pinkygurl(f): 2:23pm On Mar 26, 2019
HigherEd:

Right on point
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Truefaith: 2:26pm On Mar 26, 2019
[b][/b]
formular2002:
The only question I have for papa (If this post is True) is, What then happens to the marriage when one or both partners are/is in sickness or poverty? Does that end the marriage?
From a personal point of view, there is nothing wrong with the Vow. I also made d vow and its worth it.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 26, 2019
Oyodepo is a very woke nigga but doesn't want to drop the Bible because of the privileges and monetary gains. Oyodepo most certainly knows the truth this the Bible is a lie but sticker to it to exploit people. He sounds too intellectual to believe in the lies of the Bible.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by nwadiuko1(m): 2:33pm On Mar 26, 2019
my questions are.....if the vow is a curse, what of people who have gone through marriage and are still standing, enjoying the marriage, didn't the "curse" work on them? (oyedepo included)

what of people who didn't make the vow/curse and they still had problems in their marriage?.......
where did the problems come from?
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by ToyinDipo(m): 2:38pm On Mar 26, 2019
Most of these 'faith' ministers end up dying from miserable illnesses, where is the 'faith'
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Jaynom(m): 2:39pm On Mar 26, 2019
ikorodureporta:

They agree on this na...abi hw I go talk am
Na Dem dey gree with freeze ... U go reverse your subject grin
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by bezimo(m): 2:40pm On Mar 26, 2019
Man of God with over 30 years of Marital stability and experience in counselling and conducting hundreds of thousands of weddings is saying based on God's word those vows are not good..yet some rifrafs that have not gone anywhere nor achieved anything..are questioning him like why would he condemn those lines..like seriously? It seems some people delight in castigating as long as na pastor dey involved..bunch of reprobate devils!! So in your mind you are making sense..
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by xcessm: 2:45pm On Mar 26, 2019
We now practice religion of convenience. Anything that doesn't feel good, jump and pass.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by BabaAduras: 2:46pm On Mar 26, 2019
HigherEd:
All that "for better for worse, in sickness and in health", that people recite as marriage vows is unscriptural! It is a curse!

Dr David Oyedepo

https://www.facebook.com/444807728996437/posts/1620543638089501/

All that money you made and still making is unscriptural! It is a curse!
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by paxonel(m): 2:47pm On Mar 26, 2019
HigherEd:
All that "for better for worse, in sickness and in health", that people recite as marriage vows is unscriptural! It is a curse!

Dr David Oyedepo

https://www.facebook.com/444807728996437/posts/1620543638089501/

oyedepo is saying the truth.

He is on the side of daddy freeze for once.
That does not mean he isn't scamming people
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Ubenedictus(m): 2:49pm On Mar 26, 2019
RedReact:

God bless you.

The challenges of life will surely come,whether clergy or laity, religious or not. They must come and we must pass through them. Nobody prays for it but they will. However, should I now use my mouth to call for it? NO.

The Scripture talks about long-suffering. Why would it talk about long-suffering if there would be no suffering at all?

That quote is true but many of us will think it to be he meant marriage will be all days of merry but not so.
Use mouth and say it, it is all part of life. It is funny how new age christain can be scared about the reality of life, shouting its not my portion. Well, note this: IT IS ALL OUR PORTION. This is why i'll never go to a church where i know the pastor tell sweet lies just to cajole the people
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Ubenedictus(m): 2:55pm On Mar 26, 2019
dabossman:

Even the Bishop's wife, Mrs. Faith Oyedepo battled with illness for some time before she got healed, and the Bishop didn't desert her. That is the essence of the vow.
What do u understand by the terM vow?
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Nobody: 2:56pm On Mar 26, 2019
HigherEd:

Christian religion is founded on faith and as followers of Christ, any ritual,observances,confessions and doctrines that aren't scriptural should be thrown out.

Scripture says "whatever you ask in Jesus name shall be given to you"

It further states that if you have faith, you'll say to the mountain move and it moves. Against this backdrop, it is Unscriptural to hope for sickness and poverty even though we know that such situations are always trying to exalt itself against people.But the consolation is that Christ has overcome the world.

I believe that that line in the marital vow should be jettisoned. It is not the line that sustains marriage.

Marriage is sustained when couples stick to the terms that are generously espoused by the scriptures and place each other first.

It is sustained when love of Christ pervades the hearts of couples.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by onecc(m): 2:57pm On Mar 26, 2019
Time will come when people will like pastor who will tell them what they want to hear and deviate from the true teaching of Almighty God.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by xcessm: 2:57pm On Mar 26, 2019
we now practice religion of convenience. Anything that doesn't feel good jump and pass.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by RedReact: 2:59pm On Mar 26, 2019
Ubenedictus:
Use mouth and say it, it is all part of life. It is funny how new age christain can be scared about the reality of life, shouting its not my portion. Well, note this: IT IS ALL OUR PORTION. This is why i'll never go to a church where i know the pastor tell sweet lies just to cajole the people

That is not New Age. Reality is that they will all come; the good, the bad and the ugly. Nobody goes around praying for them but we will all experience them, whether prayed for or not.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by OlujobaSamuel: 2:59pm On Mar 26, 2019
Ubenedictus:
Yes o, na so I asked one guy for ATM queue recently, hey bro, are you the last person, he replied with, no, I'm the least on queue, na so everyone laff am sey wetin dey do dis one
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by RedReact: 3:03pm On Mar 26, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

Yes o, na so I asked one guy for ATM queue recently, hey bro, are you the last person, he replied with, no, I'm the least on queue, na so everyone laff am sey wetin dey do dis one

That person was just being unnecessarily silly.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Ubenedictus(m): 3:04pm On Mar 26, 2019
bezimo:
Man of God with over 30 years of Marital stability and experience in counselling and conducting hundreds of thousands of weddings is saying based on God's word those vows are not good..yet some rifrafs that have not gone anywhere nor achieved anything..are questioning him like why would he condemn those lines..like seriously? It seems some people delight in castigating as long as na pastor dey involved..bunch of reprobate devils!! So in your mind you are making sense..
Pastor worshipper, what type of joke is this?

There are also 1000 ministers with more experience, conselling and weddings than oyedepo who will testify that it is not a curse but a true vow of comitment.

Use your own brain and be ready to know when a pastor is talk trash.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Truefaith: 3:06pm On Mar 26, 2019
It is necessary you start to listen to David Oyedepo with your Bible, not your mind, open.

He teaches that blessings and curses reside in your mouth, not in the mouth of God.

According to him, you are a god and you can, therefore, say things into existence.

This is the source of his teachings. But it's not from the Bible. It is from Hinduism. It's occultism.

You are blessed if you are a Christian, not a deceived word of faith idol worshipper.

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 3:08pm On Mar 26, 2019
What a revelation. So it's human fabrication all the way.

Do You Desire A Very Good Property (Landed property or to buy a house.apartment) for acquisition or as a form of Investment That Guarantee High Return? Check our signature below on how to get on PROMO affordable titled lands & properties in good location with Rest of mind. There are good properties in choice locations that boast of a huge return on investment.

You may want to partake in the available promos. Visit our Ikeja Office @ 3/9 Olu Koleosho Street (Off Medical Road) or OUR ISLAND OFFICE @Kilometer 38, LEKKI-EPE EXPRESSWAY By Mayfair (AWOYAYA). Call +2348027390046.

Click the WhatsApp link to reach out to us. Or if you want to know how you can be a part of the business part of Real Estate/Property Business... Join this link together erasing every space and click to chat us ht tp s: / / bit. ly/2ASCSgC

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Ubenedictus(m): 3:13pm On Mar 26, 2019
RedReact:

That is not New Age. Reality is that they will all come; the good, the bad and the ugly. Nobody goes around praying for them but we will all experience them, whether prayed for or not.
The marriage vow is not in anyway a prayer 4 poverty, it simply means i'll love and cherish u even if we go through bad times or any other chanlenge, the only prayer is the last phrase 'so help me God'. Which means God pls help me keep this promise.

Oyedepo is missing it, to eager to condemn.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by Ubenedictus(m): 3:15pm On Mar 26, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

Lol, some people are funny.
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by WHITELIGHTER: 3:19pm On Mar 26, 2019
sinaj:
Thats why marriages dont last these days because these new generation churches make people believe that marriage is a bed of roses.

Exactly.
So easy to brain wash gullible followers who just accept anything a fellow man dish to them. Too Bad
Re: Oyedepo: "Marriage Vows, For Better For Worse, Sickness And Health" Is A Curse by MelaninGold(f): 3:20pm On Mar 26, 2019
nineone:
Oyodepo is a very woke nigga but doesn't want to drop the Bible because of the privileges and monetary gains. Oyodepo most certainly knows the truth this the Bible is a lie but sticker to it to exploit people. He sounds too intellectual to believe in the lies of the Bible.
so you don't believe in the Bible? What about the 10 commandments?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Bishop Jailed In London For Sexual Harassment / Letter From Charly Boy To Pope Francis / 5 Animals Africans See As Evil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.